Noise from Ethernet Connection

Last response: in Home Audio
January 30, 2005 7:17:18 PM

I've been getting a terrible buzzing sound in my monitor speakers for
some time now and I just discovered that unplugging my ethernet
connection from my cable modem eliminates it.

Has anyone else noticed this type of thing and what did you do about it?
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 11:20:38 PM

"Adam Ludwig" <ludwigadam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've been getting a terrible buzzing sound in my monitor speakers for
> some time now and I just discovered that unplugging my ethernet
> connection from my cable modem eliminates it.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this type of thing and what did you do about
> it?

Probable cause is probably not electrical noise from the ethernet cabling,
but PCI bus interference effects.

http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.php
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:43:54 AM

In article <W7ydnVP-S7JB02DcRVn-ug@comcast.com>,
Adam Ludwig <ludwigadam@comcast.net> wrote:
>I've been getting a terrible buzzing sound in my monitor speakers for
>some time now and I just discovered that unplugging my ethernet
>connection from my cable modem eliminates it.
>
>Has anyone else noticed this type of thing and what did you do about it?

My strong suspicion is that either your cable modem or your computer (or
both) have ethernet interfaces that are not isolated according to spec.
Or possibly you are using cable that doesn't meet Cat-5 spec and is
radiating trash, though that is less likely.
--scott
January 31, 2005 11:35:28 AM

In article <W7ydnVP-S7JB02DcRVn-ug@comcast.com> ludwigadam@comcast.net writes:

> I've been getting a terrible buzzing sound in my monitor speakers for
> some time now and I just discovered that unplugging my ethernet
> connection from my cable modem eliminates it.
>
> Has anyone else noticed this type of thing and what did you do about it?

Almost everyone has. Cable TV systems have a lot of ground noise. The
thing to do about it is to keep the cable system away from your audio
system. If you absolutely can't tear yourself away from the Internet
when you're working in your studio you can try using an isolation
transformer between the TV cable and the first box it hits when it
gets to the house.

A cheap way to do this is to connect two 75/300 ohm transformers back
to back and put it in line with the TV cable. You'll need a gender
changer for one of the 75 ohm connectors as well as the two adapters.

February 10, 2005 7:17:13 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:
> In article <W7ydnVP-S7JB02DcRVn-ug@comcast.com> ludwigadam@comcast.net writes:
>

>>I've been getting a terrible buzzing sound in my monitor speakers for
>>some time now and I just discovered that unplugging my ethernet
>>connection from my cable modem eliminates it.
>>
>>Has anyone else noticed this type of thing and what did you do about it?
>

> Almost everyone has. Cable TV systems have a lot of ground noise. The
> thing to do about it is to keep the cable system away from your audio
> system. If you absolutely can't tear yourself away from the Internet
> when you're working in your studio you can try using an isolation
> transformer between the TV cable and the first box it hits when it
> gets to the house.
>
> A cheap way to do this is to connect two 75/300 ohm transformers back
> to back and put it in line with the TV cable. You'll need a gender
> changer for one of the 75 ohm connectors as well as the two adapters.

The noise is caused because you have 2 ground sources in your system,
the groudning in cable TV AND the 3rd prong ground in the devices you
plug into the wall outlet. Like what myou did, if you remove one type of
ground, everything's OK. I had the same problem with my computer
connected to the stereo. To solve it, I removed the ground plug from my
computer and monitor. I could not isolate the cable TV:)

CD
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:31:06 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:17:13 -0500, Codifus <codifus@optonline.net>
wrote:

> To solve it, I removed the ground plug from my
>computer and monitor. I could not isolate the cable TV:)

Don't try this at home kids.

Chris Hornbeck
!