Connect to Church's FTP from home with mapped network drive

james924

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
Hi folks,

I'm the very-amatuer webmaster for our church. My pastor set up an FTP on the church's wireless network that he puts all the parish photos and sermons on. I have the web address (ftp://chruch/etc etc...not IP Address) for the ftp folders I need, but it only comes up as a white web page with each .jpg and .mp3 as a clickable link, which is fine for downloading individual files but a little inconvenient for anything else.

I tried the "map a network drive" function using only the ftp url and my login info for the ftp, but that didn't work.

If I would like to map an actual network drive at home so I can actually navigate and click and drag to and from the ftp, what steps would I need to go through?

I have never set up a connection using ip addresses between my home and their network. Would I have to do that and if so, how?

Thanks for any help you're able to offer!

Just open the ftp url w/ Explorer (the file browser), not Internet Explorer, and you'll be able to navigate it like any other file system.

Of course, there are standalone FTP clients you can use as well (e.g., Filezilla).

NOTE: FTP is not a secure protocol. Username/passwords are passed in the clear! So just beware, it can be risky if you have stuff on the ftp server you wouldn't want others to access, delete, etc.

james924

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013

I think I tried that already and it didn't work. Then again I don't remember being prompted for a password. I'll try again this afternoon and let you know if it worked. Thanks!