My sony vaio laptop wont let me download anything

Fergie12

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
My laptop is windows 8, its protected by Norton antivirus and it is a sony vaio laptop. it wont let me download anything, it gives me no message to tell me why it wont download it, it just wont! I really need help and I know that its not full as it is a new laptop, some please help, I cant find an answer anywhere!

I don't use Norton, but I could suggest you try and disable it altogether for a little while and see if it works. That would help to narrow down the problem to this particular software. Keep in mind you might need to reboot after you do that.

Again, can you access the internet from it?

I agree, disable Norton from functioning (some AV programs can suspend temporarily).

It's possible your security settings are set way too high, or else the files you are trying to download are deemed dangerous. I'm surprised that there's no notification though.

Also, try using FIREFOX instead of IE if you haven't tried that.

I hate Norton personally. I prefer AVAST.

I thought about suggesting a different browser, but the fact that downloading it on that machine is impossible makes that a more difficult proposition. Even sideloading it from a flash drive might be impeded by Norton if the settings are too strict.

I use Avast, too.

did you do a upgrade to windows 8? I had the same problem and it took me hours to figure out... It was so dumb it almost killed me, but i survived.... It was that i did not have any location for temp files and there was no error it just would not start. so to fix it click start type Inetcpl.cpl then press enter under browsing history click settings then click move folder and select a location for the temp files. the default location is
c:\user\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\windows\Temporary Internet Files\

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Anyways, do get Firefox or Chrome and stop using Internet Explorer

I also had probelms with Norton on my Sony Vaio, I couldnt even acess the internet. I unstialled Norton and installed AVG and later Microsfot anti-virus. These free options are just as good as Norton

Dimitri Cleeren

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I found the answer! You should uninstall mcafee parental controls! It's automaticly downloaded when you purchase a sony vaio. If you let it run together with Norton (same problem i had) it blocks almost everything. So go to configuration - software - uninstall mcafee parental control --> you are good to go!