Universal Combat Final

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

The "final" UC patch is now out for anyone who plays the game.

As far as I can tell, the SP part of UC is now as stable as BCM
1.09.01.

I've been in game for a best part of last night and today, and UC is a
rock of stablity. No crashes, quirks or CTDs on my kit. Frame rates
are greatly improved over the RC7 patch, both in space and on planets.
Graphics are smoother and less "glitchy" on planet, but the collision
seems to be the same. Drones still "disappear" if you leave them out
long enough, and the "AI" will still warp in a kick your ass if you
are caught sleeping.

UC now has 4 MP servers up and running, and other than some tweaking,
the MP part of the game seems to be working.

Someone might want to check and see if hell has indeed frozen over. =P

"Shingen" <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> The "final" UC patch is now out for anyone who plays the game.
>
> As far as I can tell, the SP part of UC is now as stable as BCM
> 1.09.01.
>
> I've been in game for a best part of last night and today, and UC is a
> rock of stablity. No crashes, quirks or CTDs on my kit. Frame rates
> are greatly improved over the RC7 patch, both in space and on planets.
> Graphics are smoother and less "glitchy" on planet, but the collision
> seems to be the same. Drones still "disappear" if you leave them out
> long enough, and the "AI" will still warp in a kick your ass if you
> are caught sleeping.
>
> UC now has 4 MP servers up and running, and other than some tweaking,
> the MP part of the game seems to be working.
>
> Someone might want to check and see if hell has indeed frozen over. =P

I don't know if hell is forzen over but I think I just saw a pig fly.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

For those who actually play this game:

Universal Combat 2.0 is in my opinion the very best version of BC to
date. Anyone looking for a good open-ended, fictional space-sim that
gives full control of gameplay experiences, should purchase this
game, and though most here will disagree, I think that Derek deserves
due credit for what he had done with this title.

It's not an easy game, it's not a perfect game, but it's a damn good
game.

It will run without fail as I've been playing this version for going
on 40+ hours.

It will run in a window and ALT-TAB ( as I've been tabbing to the VCF
and FAQ during play).

The MP isn't all together yet ( IMHO ), but it's working, and will
most probably be fixed in due course.

Anyone that was burned by the BC3K 1.0 fiasco, and wants to find out
what BC should've been... now's your chance.

Shingen wrote:
> For those who actually play this game:
>
> Universal Combat 2.0 is in my opinion the very best version of BC to
> date. Anyone looking for a good open-ended, fictional space-sim that
> gives full control of gameplay experiences, should purchase this
> game, and though most here will disagree, I think that Derek deserves
> due credit for what he had done with this title.
>
> It's not an easy game, it's not a perfect game, but it's a damn good
> game.
>
> It will run without fail as I've been playing this version for going
> on 40+ hours.
>
> It will run in a window and ALT-TAB ( as I've been tabbing to the VCF
> and FAQ during play).
>
> The MP isn't all together yet ( IMHO ), but it's working, and will
> most probably be fixed in due course.

So, if this is the final patch...mp won't be fixed?

J.S.

---

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:59:00 GMT, "J.S."
<pythonadder@YourClotheSrocketmail.com> wrote:

>So, if this is the final patch...mp won't be fixed?
>
>J.S.
BC patches are different. That's why I posted "final" patch.

MP is supposedly being patched.

BP

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Sun, 09 May 2004 18:21:28 GMT, Shingen
<Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:59:00 GMT, "J.S."
><pythonadder@YourClotheSrocketmail.com> wrote:
>

>>So, if this is the final patch...mp won't be fixed?
>>
>>J.S.
>BC patches are different. That's why I posted "final" patch.
Yes they're like Derek saying he isn't going to post anymore then
responds 12 times in two days. So expect 12 more final patches and
then 14 RC versions and 6 MP content patches and then hold your
breath.

>MP is supposedly being patched.
For which version ?
Seems it hasn't worked or been included in Derek's last three BC
titles.

On Sun, 09 May 2004 19:20:31 -0400, bp <6ball@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 May 2004 18:21:28 GMT, Shingen
><Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:59:00 GMT, "J.S."
>><pythonadder@YourClotheSrocketmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>So, if this is the final patch...mp won't be fixed?
>>>
>>>J.S.
>>BC patches are different. That's why I posted "final" patch.
>Yes they're like Derek saying he isn't going to post anymore then
>responds 12 times in two days. So expect 12 more final patches and
>then 14 RC versions and 6 MP content patches and then hold your
>breath.
>>
>>MP is supposedly being patched.
>For which version ?
>Seems it hasn't worked or been included in Derek's last three BC
>titles.

If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
again.

> If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
> again.

Ok Derek.

Slug

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:56:19 -0700, "Mark Carver" <null@ignore.none>
wrote:

>"Shingen" <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>> If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
>> again.
>
>Ok Derek.

Hehe...I think you hit the nail on the head. Hey Shingen, your game is
shite.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Well, Shin, you've convinced me (in a different thread where you and I
conversed) to give the game another twirl. I spent 10 minutes
downloading the demo last night and then grabbed the "ooops" file to
go with it. I installed it and then put the "ooops" patch on it
(which by the way had no "readme.txt" or any other instructions for
that matter). Fired up the game. It looks different and yet looks
the same. I like the feel of it better this time. I didn't do much
(only had about 40 minutes to invest) because I couldn't remember how
to do anything. I think I have manual with it, but it's in soft
copy. I'm not sure I'm committed to printing out the beast just yet
($35 for a print cart.), but if things look promising I will consider
it.

Basically, I (picked the only option of roam mode) just played around
with the menus and stuff. I like how he's changed that some. The
"mouseover" stuff. I pulled up Tacops / etc. and checked out the
cool maps and stuff. After about 15 minutes of doing that, alarms
started going off. Something red showed up on the little map. I saw
the command for launching my fighters so I did that. Gave them a
"Search and destroy" command. I was able to see a little pop up that
showed they were doing something. Not sure what. From what I could
see, they tore after something far away on the mini map instead of
attacking what was attacking me. I don't think they killed anything.
I couldn't remember how to move the big ship so I was a sitting duck.
About 3 minutes later I was getting shield warnings, hull breach and
then my little monitors all went dead. That was rewarded with a 49
cent outside view explosion followed by a window showing me I died.

I didn't have much time to do much with the game and will give it some
serious time this weekend. Just for kicks, what would you do first
just so I get the ? (I think this is where you are supposed to
respond with "RTFM" or "You are too stupid to play".)

What do I need to learn first just so I get the right smell here?
Some of this stuff should start coming back to me as I get into it,
but at the moment... I can't recall much at all. Give me a "quickie"
scenario to do first if you can...

Chiz

On Thu, 13 May 2004 00:13:05 -0700, Slug <slug@no_email.here> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:56:19 -0700, "Mark Carver" <null@ignore.none>
>wrote:
>
>>"Shingen" <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
>>> again.
>>
>>Ok Derek.
>>

>Hehe...I think you hit the nail on the head. Hey Shingen, your game is
>shite.

Maybe...you're about as informed as your buddy, Mark.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

oops.. I just got home to try it again and found out it was "instant
action" mode, not roam that was the only option to try.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:54:40 GMT, Shingen
<Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I'm glad it gives you something to do then.

Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.

"Allan Sheely" <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote in message
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:54:40 GMT, Shingen
> <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> >I'm glad it gives you something to do then.
>
> Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
> game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.

I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to be
The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
sock puppets.

Slug

Bill Huffman wrote:

> I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to be
> The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
> hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
> because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
> licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
> sock puppets.

Well, my apologies to Shingen then. The below comment he made comes
across like classic Derek Smart.

On Fri, 14 May 2004 01:07:09 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
wrote:

>"Allan Sheely" <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:54:40 GMT, Shingen
>> <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>> >I'm glad it gives you something to do then.
>>
>> Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
>> game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.
>
>I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent

you're going to make me blush.. thankfully I have plausable
deniability.

>The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
>because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
>licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
>sock puppets.

actually, I don't think I've ever participated in any butt-licking...
unless you include my wife, but that's just to save my ass.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

In message <1ZUoc.22070$EH6.12245@twister.socal.rr.com>, Bill Huffman
<bhuffma1@san.rr.com> writes

>"Allan Sheely" <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:54:40 GMT, Shingen
>> <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>> >I'm glad it gives you something to do then.
>>
>> Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
>> game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.
>
>I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to be
>The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
>hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
>because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
>licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
>sock puppets.

I think that Shingen must be very amused by all the 'you are Drek
posts''. He seems to have been fending them off for as long as I
remember.

What I find more interesting, as a returning twat, is that Drek's army
of detractors must still be increasing. His famous interpersonal skills
must still be in evidence. Does the reprobate still use the Dr. prefix
or has he repented ?

..... and Hello Bill. I enjoyed your response to Metrin in another
thread.

--
Tom

"asp" <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote in message
> In message <1ZUoc.22070$EH6.12245@twister.socal.rr.com>, Bill Huffman
> <bhuffma1@san.rr.com> writes
> >
> >"Allan Sheely" <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote in message

> >> Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
> >> game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.
> >
> >I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to
be
> >The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
> >hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco
Palace
> >because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
> >licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
> >sock puppets.
>
> I think that Shingen must be very amused by all the 'you are Drek
> posts''. He seems to have been fending them off for as long as I
> remember.
>
> What I find more interesting, as a returning twat, is that Drek's army
> of detractors must still be increasing. His famous interpersonal skills
> must still be in evidence. Does the reprobate still use the Dr. prefix
> or has he repented ?

Nope, Derek is still an academic fraud. His troop of Peewee Commanders is
about the same size although he no longer has anyone that tries to defend
his academic fraud. Even his most loyal boot lickers seem to recognize that
he doesn't have any real academic credentials. I guess that perhaps it was a
mistake to offer that I would take down the PhDFraud website if Derek would
sya where he earned a Bachelor's degree. It seemed to make it too obvious. A
tactically brilliant move that turned out to be a strategic mistake because
it defeated the other side and essentially ended the game. :-(

On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:17:38 -0700, Slug <no@email.here> wrote:

>Bill Huffman wrote:
>
>> I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to be
>> The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
>> hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
>> because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
>> licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
>> sock puppets.
>>

>Well, my apologies to Shingen then. The below comment he made comes
>across like classic Derek Smart.
>
>"If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
>again."

Oh that was to bp. He thinks I'm Derek too. =P

"Slug" <no@email.here> wrote in message
> Bill Huffman wrote:
>
> > I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to
be
> > The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that
he
> > hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco
Palace
> > because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's
butt
> > licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from
his
> > sock puppets.
> >

> Well, my apologies to Shingen then. The below comment he made comes
> across like classic Derek Smart.
>
> "If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
> again."

LOL He's got you there, Shin.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:51:51 +0100, asp
<dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:

>In message <1ZUoc.22070$EH6.12245@twister.socal.rr.com>, Bill Huffman
><bhuffma1@san.rr.com> writes
>>
>>"Allan Sheely" <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote in message

>>> Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
>>> game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.
>>
>>I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to be
>>The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
>>hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
>>because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
>>licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
>>sock puppets.
>
>I think that Shingen must be very amused by all the 'you are Drek
>posts''. He seems to have been fending them off for as long as I
>remember.
>
>What I find more interesting, as a returning twat, is that Drek's army
>of detractors must still be increasing. His famous interpersonal skills
>must still be in evidence. Does the reprobate still use the Dr. prefix
>or has he repented ?

There's actually been very little Derek activity of late, and I find
it hard to believe that people would think Shingen is Derek, unless
they just got here 5 minutes ago.

br d

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:26:08 +0100, br d
<misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>There's actually been very little Derek activity of late, and I find
>it hard to believe that people would think Shingen is Derek, unless
>they just got here 5 minutes ago.
>
>br d

Yea, I got here five minutes ago. There is nothing much of interest in
this group and I may check it out once every few months or so.

> On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:17:38 -0700, Slug <no@email.here> wrote:

> Oh that was to bp. He thinks I'm Derek too. =P

Ok Derek.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:26:08 +0100, br d
<misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>>What I find more interesting, as a returning twat, is that Drek's army
>>of detractors must still be increasing. His famous interpersonal skills
>>must still be in evidence. Does the reprobate still use the Dr. prefix
>>or has he repented ?

Have you bought UC yet? The new RC3 patch is out and MP seems to be
coming right along.

I think, eventually, players will even be able to save stats between
sessions. =P