Universal Combat Final

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

The "final" UC patch is now out for anyone who plays the game.

As far as I can tell, the SP part of UC is now as stable as BCM
1.09.01.

I've been in game for a best part of last night and today, and UC is a
rock of stablity. No crashes, quirks or CTDs on my kit. Frame rates
are greatly improved over the RC7 patch, both in space and on planets.
Graphics are smoother and less "glitchy" on planet, but the collision
seems to be the same. Drones still "disappear" if you leave them out
long enough, and the "AI" will still warp in a kick your ass if you
are caught sleeping.

UC now has 4 MP servers up and running, and other than some tweaking,
the MP part of the game seems to be working.

Someone might want to check and see if hell has indeed frozen over. =P
38 answers Last reply
More about universal combat final
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Shingen" <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > The "final" UC patch is now out for anyone who plays the game.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, the SP part of UC is now as stable as BCM
    > 1.09.01.
    >
    > I've been in game for a best part of last night and today, and UC is a
    > rock of stablity. No crashes, quirks or CTDs on my kit. Frame rates
    > are greatly improved over the RC7 patch, both in space and on planets.
    > Graphics are smoother and less "glitchy" on planet, but the collision
    > seems to be the same. Drones still "disappear" if you leave them out
    > long enough, and the "AI" will still warp in a kick your ass if you
    > are caught sleeping.
    >
    > UC now has 4 MP servers up and running, and other than some tweaking,
    > the MP part of the game seems to be working.
    >
    > Someone might want to check and see if hell has indeed frozen over. =P

    I don't know if hell is forzen over but I think I just saw a pig fly.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    For those who actually play this game:

    Universal Combat 2.0 is in my opinion the very best version of BC to
    date. Anyone looking for a good open-ended, fictional space-sim that
    gives full control of gameplay experiences, should purchase this
    game, and though most here will disagree, I think that Derek deserves
    due credit for what he had done with this title.

    It's not an easy game, it's not a perfect game, but it's a damn good
    game.

    It will run without fail as I've been playing this version for going
    on 40+ hours.

    It will run in a window and ALT-TAB ( as I've been tabbing to the VCF
    and FAQ during play).

    The MP isn't all together yet ( IMHO ), but it's working, and will
    most probably be fixed in due course.

    Anyone that was burned by the BC3K 1.0 fiasco, and wants to find out
    what BC should've been... now's your chance.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Shingen wrote:
    > For those who actually play this game:
    >
    > Universal Combat 2.0 is in my opinion the very best version of BC to
    > date. Anyone looking for a good open-ended, fictional space-sim that
    > gives full control of gameplay experiences, should purchase this
    > game, and though most here will disagree, I think that Derek deserves
    > due credit for what he had done with this title.
    >
    > It's not an easy game, it's not a perfect game, but it's a damn good
    > game.
    >
    > It will run without fail as I've been playing this version for going
    > on 40+ hours.
    >
    > It will run in a window and ALT-TAB ( as I've been tabbing to the VCF
    > and FAQ during play).
    >
    > The MP isn't all together yet ( IMHO ), but it's working, and will
    > most probably be fixed in due course.

    So, if this is the final patch...mp won't be fixed?

    J.S.

    ---
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:59:00 GMT, "J.S."
    <pythonadder@YourClotheSrocketmail.com> wrote:

    >So, if this is the final patch...mp won't be fixed?
    >
    >J.S.
    BC patches are different. That's why I posted "final" patch.

    MP is supposedly being patched.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 18:21:28 GMT, Shingen
    <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:59:00 GMT, "J.S."
    ><pythonadder@YourClotheSrocketmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>So, if this is the final patch...mp won't be fixed?
    >>
    >>J.S.
    >BC patches are different. That's why I posted "final" patch.
    Yes they're like Derek saying he isn't going to post anymore then
    responds 12 times in two days. So expect 12 more final patches and
    then 14 RC versions and 6 MP content patches and then hold your
    breath.

    >MP is supposedly being patched.
    For which version ?
    Seems it hasn't worked or been included in Derek's last three BC
    titles.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 09 May 2004 19:20:31 -0400, bp <6ball@comcast.net> wrote:

    >On Sun, 09 May 2004 18:21:28 GMT, Shingen
    ><Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 09 May 2004 17:59:00 GMT, "J.S."
    >><pythonadder@YourClotheSrocketmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>So, if this is the final patch...mp won't be fixed?
    >>>
    >>>J.S.
    >>BC patches are different. That's why I posted "final" patch.
    >Yes they're like Derek saying he isn't going to post anymore then
    >responds 12 times in two days. So expect 12 more final patches and
    >then 14 RC versions and 6 MP content patches and then hold your
    >breath.
    >>
    >>MP is supposedly being patched.
    >For which version ?
    >Seems it hasn't worked or been included in Derek's last three BC
    >titles.

    If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
    again.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
    > again.

    Ok Derek.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:56:19 -0700, "Mark Carver" <null@ignore.none>
    wrote:

    >"Shingen" <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
    >> again.
    >
    >Ok Derek.

    Hehe...I think you hit the nail on the head. Hey Shingen, your game is
    shite.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Well, Shin, you've convinced me (in a different thread where you and I
    conversed) to give the game another twirl. I spent 10 minutes
    downloading the demo last night and then grabbed the "ooops" file to
    go with it. I installed it and then put the "ooops" patch on it
    (which by the way had no "readme.txt" or any other instructions for
    that matter). Fired up the game. It looks different and yet looks
    the same. I like the feel of it better this time. I didn't do much
    (only had about 40 minutes to invest) because I couldn't remember how
    to do anything. I think I have manual with it, but it's in soft
    copy. I'm not sure I'm committed to printing out the beast just yet
    ($35 for a print cart.), but if things look promising I will consider
    it.

    Basically, I (picked the only option of roam mode) just played around
    with the menus and stuff. I like how he's changed that some. The
    "mouseover" stuff. I pulled up Tacops / etc. and checked out the
    cool maps and stuff. After about 15 minutes of doing that, alarms
    started going off. Something red showed up on the little map. I saw
    the command for launching my fighters so I did that. Gave them a
    "Search and destroy" command. I was able to see a little pop up that
    showed they were doing something. Not sure what. From what I could
    see, they tore after something far away on the mini map instead of
    attacking what was attacking me. I don't think they killed anything.
    I couldn't remember how to move the big ship so I was a sitting duck.
    About 3 minutes later I was getting shield warnings, hull breach and
    then my little monitors all went dead. That was rewarded with a 49
    cent outside view explosion followed by a window showing me I died.

    I didn't have much time to do much with the game and will give it some
    serious time this weekend. Just for kicks, what would you do first
    just so I get the ? (I think this is where you are supposed to
    respond with "RTFM" or "You are too stupid to play".)

    What do I need to learn first just so I get the right smell here?
    Some of this stuff should start coming back to me as I get into it,
    but at the moment... I can't recall much at all. Give me a "quickie"
    scenario to do first if you can...

    Chiz
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 00:13:05 -0700, Slug <slug@no_email.here> wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:56:19 -0700, "Mark Carver" <null@ignore.none>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>"Shingen" <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
    >>> again.
    >>
    >>Ok Derek.
    >>

    >Hehe...I think you hit the nail on the head. Hey Shingen, your game is
    >shite.

    Maybe...you're about as informed as your buddy, Mark.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    oops.. I just got home to try it again and found out it was "instant
    action" mode, not roam that was the only option to try.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:54:40 GMT, Shingen
    <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >I'm glad it gives you something to do then.

    Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
    game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Allan Sheely" <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:54:40 GMT, Shingen
    > <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >

    > >I'm glad it gives you something to do then.
    >
    > Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
    > game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.

    I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to be
    The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
    hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
    because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
    licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
    sock puppets.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Bill Huffman wrote:

    > I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to be
    > The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
    > hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
    > because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
    > licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
    > sock puppets.

    Well, my apologies to Shingen then. The below comment he made comes
    across like classic Derek Smart.

    "If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
    again."
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 01:07:09 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >"Allan Sheely" <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:54:40 GMT, Shingen
    >> <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >>

    >> >I'm glad it gives you something to do then.
    >>
    >> Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
    >> game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.
    >
    >I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent

    you're going to make me blush.. thankfully I have plausable
    deniability.

    >The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
    >because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
    >licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
    >sock puppets.

    actually, I don't think I've ever participated in any butt-licking...
    unless you include my wife, but that's just to save my ass.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    In message <1ZUoc.22070$EH6.12245@twister.socal.rr.com>, Bill Huffman
    <bhuffma1@san.rr.com> writes

    >"Allan Sheely" <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:54:40 GMT, Shingen
    >> <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >>

    >> >I'm glad it gives you something to do then.
    >>
    >> Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
    >> game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.
    >
    >I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to be
    >The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
    >hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
    >because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
    >licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
    >sock puppets.

    I think that Shingen must be very amused by all the 'you are Drek
    posts''. He seems to have been fending them off for as long as I
    remember.

    What I find more interesting, as a returning twat, is that Drek's army
    of detractors must still be increasing. His famous interpersonal skills
    must still be in evidence. Does the reprobate still use the Dr. prefix
    or has he repented ?

    ..... and Hello Bill. I enjoyed your response to Metrin in another
    thread.

    --
    Tom
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "asp" <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote in message
    > In message <1ZUoc.22070$EH6.12245@twister.socal.rr.com>, Bill Huffman
    > <bhuffma1@san.rr.com> writes
    > >
    > >"Allan Sheely" <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote in message

    > >> Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
    > >> game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.
    > >
    > >I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to
    be
    > >The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
    > >hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco
    Palace
    > >because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
    > >licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
    > >sock puppets.
    >
    > I think that Shingen must be very amused by all the 'you are Drek
    > posts''. He seems to have been fending them off for as long as I
    > remember.
    >
    > What I find more interesting, as a returning twat, is that Drek's army
    > of detractors must still be increasing. His famous interpersonal skills
    > must still be in evidence. Does the reprobate still use the Dr. prefix
    > or has he repented ?

    Nope, Derek is still an academic fraud. His troop of Peewee Commanders is
    about the same size although he no longer has anyone that tries to defend
    his academic fraud. Even his most loyal boot lickers seem to recognize that
    he doesn't have any real academic credentials. I guess that perhaps it was a
    mistake to offer that I would take down the PhDFraud website if Derek would
    sya where he earned a Bachelor's degree. It seemed to make it too obvious. A
    tactically brilliant move that turned out to be a strategic mistake because
    it defeated the other side and essentially ended the game. :-(
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:17:38 -0700, Slug <no@email.here> wrote:

    >Bill Huffman wrote:
    >
    >> I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to be
    >> The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
    >> hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
    >> because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
    >> licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
    >> sock puppets.
    >>

    >Well, my apologies to Shingen then. The below comment he made comes
    >across like classic Derek Smart.
    >
    >"If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
    >again."

    Oh that was to bp. He thinks I'm Derek too. =P
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Slug" <no@email.here> wrote in message
    > Bill Huffman wrote:
    >
    > > I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to
    be
    > > The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that
    he
    > > hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco
    Palace
    > > because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's
    butt
    > > licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from
    his
    > > sock puppets.
    > >

    > Well, my apologies to Shingen then. The below comment he made comes
    > across like classic Derek Smart.
    >
    > "If you can't follow along, then don't expect me to explain it to you
    > again."

    LOL He's got you there, Shin.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:51:51 +0100, asp
    <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:

    >In message <1ZUoc.22070$EH6.12245@twister.socal.rr.com>, Bill Huffman
    ><bhuffma1@san.rr.com> writes
    >>
    >>"Allan Sheely" <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote in message

    >>> Admit it. You are Derek Smart trying to drum up sales of your shite
    >>> game by faking that you are just a regular gamer.
    >>
    >>I will say that Shingen can't be Derek Smart. He's far to intelligent to be
    >>The Fraud. He actually plays UC unlike The Fraud who has admitted that he
    >>hates playing his game. The Fraud keeps banning Shingen from the Taco Palace
    >>because Shingen will only rarely participate in the required Fraud's butt
    >>licking and The Fraud demands much more butt licking, especially from his
    >>sock puppets.
    >
    >I think that Shingen must be very amused by all the 'you are Drek
    >posts''. He seems to have been fending them off for as long as I
    >remember.
    >
    >What I find more interesting, as a returning twat, is that Drek's army
    >of detractors must still be increasing. His famous interpersonal skills
    >must still be in evidence. Does the reprobate still use the Dr. prefix
    >or has he repented ?

    There's actually been very little Derek activity of late, and I find
    it hard to believe that people would think Shingen is Derek, unless
    they just got here 5 minutes ago.

    br d
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:26:08 +0100, br d
    <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

    >There's actually been very little Derek activity of late, and I find
    >it hard to believe that people would think Shingen is Derek, unless
    >they just got here 5 minutes ago.
    >
    >br d

    Yea, I got here five minutes ago. There is nothing much of interest in
    this group and I may check it out once every few months or so.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:17:38 -0700, Slug <no@email.here> wrote:

    > Oh that was to bp. He thinks I'm Derek too. =P

    Ok Derek.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Or Dereks wife.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:26:08 +0100, br d
    <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

    >>What I find more interesting, as a returning twat, is that Drek's army
    >>of detractors must still be increasing. His famous interpersonal skills
    >>must still be in evidence. Does the reprobate still use the Dr. prefix
    >>or has he repented ?

    Have you bought UC yet? The new RC3 patch is out and MP seems to be
    coming right along.

    I think, eventually, players will even be able to save stats between
    sessions. =P
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    ....as posted on 3000AD.com

    Against my better judgement, and mostly because Derek wanted to read
    the account, here is my tale of woe.

    I just had DLed the new UC patch, installed and started a new game (as
    it has been my habit to start fresh with a new patch since BCM 1.03).

    I went with the default BC3K sets (Galcom/BC-MK3), launched and went
    into AI/AP HALT just outside of GalComHQ...kicked my marines in the
    a$$, and sent them all to prep.

    During that time I think I sent my fighters to engage a few targets
    and raise their kill numbers, and I remember collecting a few cargo
    pods...(one being worth close to 7 mil galcreds).

    Anyway, I decide to head on to Genesis and set my virgin crew onto the
    Moon's surface. I generally do this so I can trade in a shuttle and
    not have to worry about my CC being destroyed in open space.

    I HJ to the moon jumpgate and transit thru, no problems. Upon
    entering, I get a klaxon alert, hit TacOps, and find a Megaron, an
    Aestrom, and a Stormcarrier all with my new BC as their target!

    The Stormcarrier was on the otherside of the system, but the Megaron
    and Aestrom were right up my tailpipe. Before I even have time to
    react I get an intruder alert (15 intruders had just beamed near my
    nuclear reactor, weapons pod and life support...marines were deployed,
    but I was scared sh*tless)!

    OK, I'm in a brand new BC, my crew is fresh outta boot camp, and now I
    have 15 intruders razing my systems, a Megaron, Aestrom, and
    Stormcarrier dead on my a$$, and HJ engines depleted because of the
    jumpgate. No escape. I'm going to have to fight or die (damn I love
    this game)!

    First thing I do is turn off my AP/AI (virgin crew,) reactivate my
    PTAs (to reset target acquisition)and engage evasive maneuvers. I
    launch all 4 fighters and 2 shuttles, then set launch control off.

    I fatal every enemy fighter, set 2 fighters on the Megaron and 2 on
    the Aestrom, and 1 shuttle on each carrier ( with TOW orders). I then
    target the Stormcarrier and reduce it to cargopods with my main-guns.

    About 6-8 enemy fighters were eating my shields for lunch, so I go
    into tactical, arm 10 mines and start deploying them in a circle (as
    best as I can envision one). The mines start going off one after the
    other, but that's no good, because one of them just took out my
    shuttle! 3 fighters gone, no missiles left and 65% hull integrity!

    Re-evaluate the situation! By this time HJ is charged, so I target
    Genesis, order every asset to RTB and I got the hell outta dodge!

    I may have ran like a scared dog, but they lost and I lived.. so sue
    me.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 03:05:14 GMT, Shingen
    <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Well, I've never had a problem with the interface. It works perfectly
    >well for me. Everything is quick-keyed and mouse accessible, and I can
    >find out whatever I need within a few seconds.

    Many commands are keyboard only. I could have made all those commands
    availalble by using a right click menu. What do you think is easier,
    seeing the commands in a menu or trying to remember the keyboard
    command?

    >What was your problem again? Derek's an ass? Well, aren't we all.

    He's a joke. And I suggest you look up the difference between dynamic
    and random. I come from the flight sim world so actually know what a
    real dynamic campaign is.

    >My advise is quite playing UC and go play Tie Fighter... or maybe X2.
    >Now there's a *real* dynamic universe with great combat fun! =P

    No, I will delve into UC some more and rip it to shreds in this group,
    just for your benefit. I looked up every review of UC on the internet
    and only one review gave it any respect at all. I think you are very
    misguided as to the reality of what UC is.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:36:54 -0700, Allan Sheely <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote:

    >Many commands are keyboard only. I could have made all those commands
    >availalble by using a right click menu. What do you think is easier,
    >seeing the commands in a menu or trying to remember the keyboard
    >command?

    my memory works fine. right-clicking prolly would've been easier but
    since I didn't develop the damn thing... when you finish developing
    your own prefect gaming masterpiece, that is all things to everyone,
    let me know.

    >>What was your problem again? Derek's an ass? Well, aren't we all.
    >
    >He's a joke. And I suggest you look up the difference between dynamic
    >and random. I come from the flight sim world so actually know what a
    >real dynamic campaign is.

    ok.. I just started gaming yesterday.

    >>My advise is quite playing UC and go play Tie Fighter... or maybe X2.
    >>Now there's a *real* dynamic universe with great combat fun! =P
    >
    >No, I will delve into UC some more and rip it to shreds in this group,
    >just for your benefit. I looked up every review of UC on the internet
    >and only one review gave it any respect at all. I think you are very
    >misguided as to the reality of what UC is.

    It would appear that you have other issues besides UC. Have you
    considered professional help?
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:36:14 -0700, Allan Sheely <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote:

    >On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:26:08 +0100, br d
    ><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
    >

    >>There's actually been very little Derek activity of late, and I find
    >>it hard to believe that people would think Shingen is Derek, unless
    >>they just got here 5 minutes ago.
    >>
    >>br d
    >
    >Yea, I got here five minutes ago. There is nothing much of interest in
    >this group and I may check it out once every few months or so.

    Excellent. I'm sure we'll all look forward to more of your
    ill-informed proclamations in your future tri-monthly visits.

    br d
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    In message <447ha05nh1sk3a4ngm6uj58isc2fmmpr26@4ax.com>, br d
    <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> writes
    >On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:36:14 -0700, Allan Sheely <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 14 May 2004 14:26:08 +0100, br d
    >><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
    >>

    >>>There's actually been very little Derek activity of late, and I find
    >>>it hard to believe that people would think Shingen is Derek, unless
    >>>they just got here 5 minutes ago.
    >>>
    >>>br d
    >>
    >>Yea, I got here five minutes ago. There is nothing much of interest in
    >>this group and I may check it out once every few months or so.
    >
    >Excellent. I'm sure we'll all look forward to more of your
    >ill-informed proclamations in your future tri-monthly visits.

    He didn't actually leave when he said he was going to. Is a pattern
    emerging ?

    --
    Tom
  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > Why is it that space can't be black and dark and
    > cold, like it's supposed to be?

    Haven't I ever explained the way that game design by an NPD works? The key
    is in understanding the crying narcotic like cravings for ego strokes that
    an NPD must live with. Design decisions are primarily based on ego strokes.
    It also explains why so many screen shots are required. This is to get a fix
    of ego strokes from Peewee Commanders. So having lots of Nebulas will
    provide secondary ego strokes as the NPD recalls the primary ego strokes
    provided by Peewee Commanders when the screen shots were first displayed.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:36:54 -0700, Allan Sheely <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote:
    > >
    > >Many commands are keyboard only. I could have made all those commands
    > >availalble by using a right click menu. What do you think is easier,
    > >seeing the commands in a menu or trying to remember the keyboard
    > >command?
    >
    > my memory works fine. right-clicking prolly would've been easier but
    > since I didn't develop the damn thing... when you finish developing
    > your own prefect gaming masterpiece, that is all things to everyone,
    > let me know.

    Shingen, I'm disappointed. Not the you can't complain about the President
    unless you've been a better President fallacy. Tsk tsk tsk, I'm really
    disappointed.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 14:01:25 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >"Shingen" <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:36:54 -0700, Allan Sheely <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Many commands are keyboard only. I could have made all those commands
    >> >availalble by using a right click menu. What do you think is easier,
    >> >seeing the commands in a menu or trying to remember the keyboard
    >> >command?
    >>
    >> my memory works fine. right-clicking prolly would've been easier but
    >> since I didn't develop the damn thing... when you finish developing
    >> your own prefect gaming masterpiece, that is all things to everyone,
    >> let me know.
    >
    >Shingen, I'm disappointed. Not the you can't complain about the President
    >unless you've been a better President fallacy. Tsk tsk tsk, I'm really
    >disappointed.

    Sorry...it's still early and I haven't finished my coffee. Right now
    it's the only excuse I can come up with. =P
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:08:04 +0100, br d
    <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

    >Excellent. I'm sure we'll all look forward to more of your
    >ill-informed proclamations in your future tri-monthly visits.
    >
    >br d

    You can count on it!
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 11:39:01 GMT, Shingen
    <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >my memory works fine. right-clicking prolly would've been easier but
    >since I didn't develop the damn thing... when you finish developing
    >your own prefect gaming masterpiece, that is all things to everyone,
    >let me know.

    Oh, I see, it's the old strawman argument. Weak.

    >ok.. I just started gaming yesterday.

    Thought so.

    >It would appear that you have other issues besides UC. Have you
    >considered professional help?

    I'm waiting for the pills to kick in.
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 20:20:13 -0700, Allan Sheely <NO@MAIL.HERE> wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 May 2004 11:39:01 GMT, Shingen
    ><Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >

    >>my memory works fine. right-clicking prolly would've been easier but
    >>since I didn't develop the damn thing... when you finish developing
    >>your own prefect gaming masterpiece, that is all things to everyone,
    >>let me know.
    >
    >Oh, I see, it's the old strawman argument. Weak.

    Yes, your arguments are much more salient...

    >>ok.. I just started gaming yesterday.
    >
    >Thought so.

    Please refer to Dictionary.com... look up "sarcasm".

    >>It would appear that you have other issues besides UC. Have you
    >>considered professional help?
    >
    >I'm waiting for the pills to kick in.

    "Well people look and people stare,
    but I don't think that I even care.
    You work your life away and what do they give,
    You're only Killing Yourself to Live.."
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > He's a joke. And I suggest you look up the difference between dynamic
    > and random. I come from the flight sim world so actually know what a
    > real dynamic campaign is.

    Dynamic campaigns are a rarity in the flight sim world as well. AFAIK
    Falcon 4 is the only flight sim that gets credit in this area. I think Mig
    Alley was supposed to have one but it CTD even worse that Derek's stuff.

    Try looking at Starshatter for a space sim with a dynamic campaign.

    > >My advise is quite playing UC and go play Tie Fighter... or maybe X2.
    > >Now there's a *real* dynamic universe with great combat fun! =P
    >
    > No, I will delve into UC some more and rip it to shreds in this group,
    > just for your benefit. I looked up every review of UC on the internet
    > and only one review gave it any respect at all. I think you are very
    > misguided as to the reality of what UC is.

    Actually I think everyone who can't get into UC is misguided about what the
    reality of UC is. My conclusion is that UC is a game for people who long
    for the good ole days of using your imagination when playing a game. It has
    a deep fictional universe with lots of things to assist one in using his
    imagination. My closest analogy is comes from the days when I was a kid and
    I used to lay out all my army men and associated toys and create my own
    entertainment. If, like most people you bought the game to be entertained
    then you will probably be disappointed. But that doesn't mean it can't have
    a valid reason to exist or that there aren't people who enjoy this sort of
    thing.
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 20:57:40 GMT, "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not
    not)notmail.com> wrote:

    >Dynamic campaigns are a rarity in the flight sim world as well. AFAIK
    >Falcon 4 is the only flight sim that gets credit in this area. I think Mig
    >Alley was supposed to have one but it CTD even worse that Derek's stuff.

    True dynamic campaigns are a rarity for the gaming world in general. I
    would argue that UC does infact have a "dynamic campaign" in-so-far-as
    that even though the actual campaign is scripted, it certainly doesn't
    mean that the actual gameplay will be the same everytime.

    Once the autogeneration kicks in, you can never guarantee that what
    worked last time will work this time.

    >Try looking at Starshatter for a space sim with a dynamic campaign.

    I tried Starshatter, and I liked it alot, but it's not the "sandbox"
    game that is my preference.

    >> >My advise is quite playing UC and go play Tie Fighter... or maybe X2.
    >> >Now there's a *real* dynamic universe with great combat fun! =P
    >>
    >> No, I will delve into UC some more and rip it to shreds in this group,
    >> just for your benefit. I looked up every review of UC on the internet
    >> and only one review gave it any respect at all. I think you are very
    >> misguided as to the reality of what UC is.
    >
    >Actually I think everyone who can't get into UC is misguided about what the
    >reality of UC is. My conclusion is that UC is a game for people who long
    >for the good ole days of using your imagination when playing a game. It has
    >a deep fictional universe with lots of things to assist one in using his
    >imagination. My closest analogy is comes from the days when I was a kid and
    >I used to lay out all my army men and associated toys and create my own
    >entertainment. If, like most people you bought the game to be entertained
    >then you will probably be disappointed. But that doesn't mean it can't have
    >a valid reason to exist or that there aren't people who enjoy this sort of
    >thing.

    Excellent post! I don't think I could've said it better.

  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    not)notmail.com> wrote:

    >Dynamic campaigns are a rarity in the flight sim world as well. AFAIK
    >Falcon 4 is the only flight sim that gets credit in this area. I think Mig
    >Alley was supposed to have one but it CTD even worse that Derek's stuff.

    BS. Mig Alley never CTD's here. And you are forgetting games like BoB,
    iF22, iF18, M1TP2, Red Baron3D, EF2000,TAW, CvH, and AvH.

    >Actually I think everyone who can't get into UC is misguided about what the
    >reality of UC is. My conclusion is that UC is a game for people who long
    >for the good ole days of using your imagination when playing a game. It has
    >a deep fictional universe with lots of things to assist one in using his
    >imagination. My closest analogy is comes from the days when I was a kid and
    >I used to lay out all my army men and associated toys and create my own
    >entertainment. If, like most people you bought the game to be entertained
    >then you will probably be disappointed. But that doesn't mean it can't have
    >a valid reason to exist or that there aren't people who enjoy this sort of
    >thing.

    The concept is fine, it fails miserably in the execution. I doubt that
    something like 20+ reviews and me are wrong. UC is pretty much
    universally met with derision. But hey, beauty is in the eye of the
    beholder. Knock yourself out.

PC gaming Games Video Games