frustraded! dropped calls/not able to call despite good re..

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 23, 2004 12:00:47 PM

I have been with sprint since 1999 and been decently happy with their
service (free&clear).
I have a samsung a400 and over the last couple months am getting more
and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception.
I am getting messaged from "call failed", "no synch" to "signal faded"
or just no message at all.
In addition i seem to not receive some calls. they show up hours later
on my voice mail, even though i had the phone and it showed
reception....
What is going on ?

Tech at *2 wasnt really helpful just said that "i might need a new
phone" but I am hol;ding out for a bluetooth phone...

this is all in major metropolitan areas (dc/nyc/boston) on the east
coast...

thanks!
May 23, 2004 2:35:42 PM

drachenfury777@yahoo.com (Pat) wrote:
> I have a samsung a400 and over the last
> couple months am getting more and more
> frustrated as a huge number of calls get
> dropped or i am even unable to place a call
> despite having 4 bars reception. I am getting
> messaged from "call failed", "no synch" to
> "signal faded" or just no message at all.
> In addition i seem to not receive some calls.
> they show up hours later on my voice mail,
> even though i had the phone and it showed
> reception....
> What is going on ?

Hello. Well, the Samsung A400 is about a two+ year old phone... I had
mine about a year and a half with heavy usage before it started showing
signs of dying. You may be eligible for the handset upgrade program...
but that won'thelp if you are holding out for a bluetooth phone. I
guess your choice would be do you hold out for a bluetooth phone, or can
you live with a rapidly deteriorating phone for a few more months?

Eric
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 7:11:18 PM

Have you tried a software upgrade ?

Frank

Pat wrote:

> I have been with sprint since 1999 and been decently happy with their
> service (free&clear).
> I have a samsung a400 and over the last couple months am getting more
> and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
> unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception.
> I am getting messaged from "call failed", "no synch" to "signal faded"
> or just no message at all.
> In addition i seem to not receive some calls. they show up hours later
> on my voice mail, even though i had the phone and it showed
> reception....
> What is going on ?
>
> Tech at *2 wasnt really helpful just said that "i might need a new
> phone" but I am hol;ding out for a bluetooth phone...
>
> this is all in major metropolitan areas (dc/nyc/boston) on the east
> coast...
>
> thanks!
May 23, 2004 7:37:34 PM

My personal suggestion,,, (but not knowing your situation..this is a 'stab
in the dark')

1) Make sure the phone is @ current PRL level, which I believe is 10023
I DOUBT very much this will help, but I am a 'get current, stay current
person'.

2) As soon as conveient, stop by a 'Full Service' corporate Sprint Store and
have a full diagnostic check run on the phone....
My suspicion, unfortunately, is that it will fail one or more tests
dramaticly!.

A) If the phone, does NOT fail, as them to make sure the software and PRL
levels are current and even if the software is current, explain the
situation, and ask them to refresh the software if you are current!

B) If the phone failed tests, ask them about purchasing a 'refurb'. I am not
sure if a contract is required in that situation...

Before going in, knowing that a replacement phone may be a possibility, do
the research on the phones....

------------------
What is the 'fascination' with 'bluetooth'?
To me the technology is 'immature' at best!
For some interesting articles see:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-...
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 7:43:53 PM

I would suspect your phone but, not sure where you placed/received calls at
either.

I have/had no issues in Boston or Wash DC and I make a lot of calls in and
around Wash DC. ( 800 min a month avg )
Boston area I was in and around the "Big Dig" and didn't have any issues
either but didn't travel all around the city either.

FWIW and YMMV ;-)

Scotty

"Pat" <drachenfury777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been with sprint since 1999 and been decently happy with their
> service (free&clear).
> I have a samsung a400 and over the last couple months am getting more
> and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
> unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception.
> I am getting messaged from "call failed", "no synch" to "signal faded"
> or just no message at all.
> In addition i seem to not receive some calls. they show up hours later
> on my voice mail, even though i had the phone and it showed
> reception....
> What is going on ?
>
> Tech at *2 wasnt really helpful just said that "i might need a new
> phone" but I am hol;ding out for a bluetooth phone...
>
> this is all in major metropolitan areas (dc/nyc/boston) on the east
> coast...
>
> thanks!
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 7:49:53 PM

Just thinking again, if the OP says "loosing sync", that would explain the
missed handoffs......
I wonder if the internal clock is deviating ( losing or gaining time ) a
lot?

I still suspect a bad phone....

Scotty

"Joe Gill" <joegill@removethis@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> My personal suggestion,,, (but not knowing your situation..this is a 'stab
> in the dark')
>
> 1) Make sure the phone is @ current PRL level, which I believe is 10023
> I DOUBT very much this will help, but I am a 'get current, stay current
> person'.
>
> 2) As soon as conveient, stop by a 'Full Service' corporate Sprint Store
and
> have a full diagnostic check run on the phone....
> My suspicion, unfortunately, is that it will fail one or more tests
> dramaticly!.
>
> A) If the phone, does NOT fail, as them to make sure the software and PRL
> levels are current and even if the software is current, explain the
> situation, and ask them to refresh the software if you are current!
>
> B) If the phone failed tests, ask them about purchasing a 'refurb'. I am
not
> sure if a contract is required in that situation...
>
> Before going in, knowing that a replacement phone may be a possibility, do
> the research on the phones....

> ------------------
> What is the 'fascination' with 'bluetooth'?
> To me the technology is 'immature' at best!
> For some interesting articles see:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-...

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 8:21:20 PM

"Pat" <drachenfury777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been with sprint since 1999 and been decently happy with their
> service (free&clear).
> I have a samsung a400 and over the last couple months am getting more
> and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
> unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception.
> I am getting messaged from "call failed", "no synch" to "signal faded"
> or just no message at all.
> In addition i seem to not receive some calls. they show up hours later
> on my voice mail, even though i had the phone and it showed
> reception....
> What is going on ?
>
> Tech at *2 wasnt really helpful just said that "i might need a new
> phone" but I am hol;ding out for a bluetooth phone...
>
> this is all in major metropolitan areas (dc/nyc/boston) on the east
> coast...
>
> thanks!

First off, SPCS could be exactly right ... Your A400 is an old phone. In
saying that, there are a few steps you can take right now and that's to
check what PRL & Firmware versions on your phone. The current PRL is 10023.
The current firmware for your phone is WA23 via the info from this site -
http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&p... .

If you don't have one or both of the most recent versions, I'd suggest going
to a SPCS store and have them do the upgrades.

While you are there, check out the new line of phones. If you've had your
A400 on the same number for 18 months or longer, you can qualify for a $150
mail in rebate. You can check that out with this link -
http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/ .

Actually, you don't have to go to the store, if the firmware version is up
to date, but the PRL is out of date, as the PRL can be updated OTA, over the
air, by calling SPCS. I only suggest going to the store, as it's probably
time to think of getting a new phone.

Bob
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 10:15:16 PM

In article <aeacadd3.0405230700.3e1569bb@posting.google.com>,
drachenfury777@yahoo.com (Pat) wrote:

> I have been with sprint since 1999 and been decently happy with their
> service (free&clear).
> I have a samsung a400 and over the last couple months am getting more
> and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
> unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception.
> I am getting messaged from "call failed", "no synch" to "signal faded"
> or just no message at all.
> In addition i seem to not receive some calls. they show up hours later
> on my voice mail, even though i had the phone and it showed
> reception....
> What is going on ?
>
> Tech at *2 wasnt really helpful just said that "i might need a new
> phone" but I am hol;ding out for a bluetooth phone...
>
> this is all in major metropolitan areas (dc/nyc/boston) on the east
> coast...
>
> thanks!

As SprintPCS says on their web site:

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popups/pop-dyk-callCred...

With Sprint PCS, you can get credits for your dropped calls
Receive credit for a dropped call:

Dial *2 from your Sprint PCS Phone
Say "Credit for a dropped call"
Follow instructions provided to you

Check for credits:

Sign on to My PCS
Click "My Invoice & Payments", then "Account Summary"
Credits appear under the heading "Promotions/Credits/Adjustments"
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 10:21:29 PM

In article <4c4sc.6270$Tn6.4075@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Pat" <drachenfury777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have been with sprint since 1999 and been decently happy with their
> > service (free&clear).
> > I have a samsung a400 and over the last couple months am getting more
> > and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
> > unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception.
> > I am getting messaged from "call failed", "no synch" to "signal faded"
> > or just no message at all.
> > In addition i seem to not receive some calls. they show up hours later
> > on my voice mail, even though i had the phone and it showed
> > reception....
> > What is going on ?
> >
> > Tech at *2 wasnt really helpful just said that "i might need a new
> > phone" but I am hol;ding out for a bluetooth phone...
> >
> > this is all in major metropolitan areas (dc/nyc/boston) on the east
> > coast...
> >
> > thanks!
>
> First off, SPCS could be exactly right ... Your A400 is an old phone. In
> saying that, there are a few steps you can take right now and that's to
> check what PRL & Firmware versions on your phone. The current PRL is 10023.
> The current firmware for your phone is WA23 via the info from this site -
> http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&p... .
>
> If you don't have one or both of the most recent versions, I'd suggest going
> to a SPCS store and have them do the upgrades.
>
> While you are there, check out the new line of phones. If you've had your
> A400 on the same number for 18 months or longer, you can qualify for a $150
> mail in rebate. You can check that out with this link -
> http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/ .
>
> Actually, you don't have to go to the store, if the firmware version is up
> to date, but the PRL is out of date, as the PRL can be updated OTA, over the
> air, by calling SPCS. I only suggest going to the store, as it's probably
> time to think of getting a new phone.
>
> Bob

Thats good advice for someone who moved to an new area. Pat apparently
hasn't changed location but

"over the last couple months am getting more
and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception."

The only thing that might help is to resync with your local tower by
dialing *18

More likely it's 100% Sprint's fault, others want to blame the phone or
the user, and use a Network problem as an excuse to sell a new phone.

As with what happened to Justin, if the Network has locally
deteriorated, a different phone helps not at all, in which case the
poster may want to consider switching carriers if it is indeed a Network
issue which isn't quickly resolved.
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 10:24:20 PM

In article <ZE3sc.5778$o97.3142@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,
"Scott Nelson - Wash DC" <spamcop@bnmnetworks.net> wrote:

> I would suspect your phone but, not sure where you placed/received calls at
> either.
>
> I have/had no issues in Boston or Wash DC and I make a lot of calls in and
> around Wash DC. ( 800 min a month avg )
> Boston area I was in and around the "Big Dig" and didn't have any issues
> either but didn't travel all around the city either.
>
> FWIW and YMMV ;-)
>
> Scotty

The poster's IP # indicated a Cambridge, Mass. posting location, and
possibly also cellular location.

Anybody aware of network issues in Cambridge, Mass.?
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 10:25:28 PM

In article <qa3sc.6194$Tn6.4903@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Frankie says <Frnksys@youknow.com> wrote:

> Have you tried a software upgrade ?

That would not explain sudden increase in dropped calls after 2 years.
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 11:49:59 PM

Robert M wrote:

> In article <qa3sc.6194$Tn6.4903@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Frankie says <Frnksys@youknow.com> wrote:
>

>>Have you tried a software upgrade ?
>

> That would not explain sudden increase in dropped calls after 2 years.

Well if his PRl is too old and his software has degraded it might, in
any event it is a starting place.

Frank
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 11:50:00 PM

Frankie says <Frnksys@youknow.com> wrote:

>> That would not explain sudden increase in dropped calls after 2 years.
>
> Well if his PRl is too old and his software has degraded it might, in
> any event it is a starting place.

Yeah, yeah, and Verizon reps tell me to do *228 to update my PRL when I
have connection problems... however, updating your preferred roaming list
generally doesn't help you when you're not roaming - is the OP roaming when
he has the problems, or does he have them at home?

A *firmware upgrade* might help. But not a PRL update.

May 24, 2004 12:10:04 AM

In article <Hf7sc.7451$be.3975@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Frankie says <Frnksys@youknow.com> wrote:

> Robert M wrote:
>
> > In article <qa3sc.6194$Tn6.4903@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> > Frankie says <Frnksys@youknow.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Have you tried a software upgrade ?
> >

> > That would not explain sudden increase in dropped calls after 2 years.
>
> Well if his PRl is too old and his software has degraded it might, in
> any event it is a starting place.

Software degraded? What kind of fantasy is that?

For more likely the Network degraded.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 3:56:42 AM

"Pat" <drachenfury777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been with sprint since 1999 and been decently happy with their
> service (free&clear).
> I have a samsung a400 and over the last couple months am getting more
> and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
> unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception.
> I am getting messaged from "call failed", "no synch" to "signal faded"
> or just no message at all.
> In addition i seem to not receive some calls. they show up hours later
> on my voice mail, even though i had the phone and it showed
> reception....
> What is going on ?
>
> Tech at *2 wasnt really helpful just said that "i might need a new
> phone" but I am hol;ding out for a bluetooth phone...
>
> this is all in major metropolitan areas (dc/nyc/boston) on the east
> coast...
>
> thanks!

Shouldn't this be a sign to get a new phone?
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 4:02:32 AM

"Røbert M" <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <4c4sc.6270$Tn6.4075@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > "Pat" <drachenfury777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I have been with sprint since 1999 and been decently happy with their
> > > service (free&clear).
> > > I have a samsung a400 and over the last couple months am getting more
> > > and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
> > > unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception.
> > > I am getting messaged from "call failed", "no synch" to "signal faded"
> > > or just no message at all.
> > > In addition i seem to not receive some calls. they show up hours later
> > > on my voice mail, even though i had the phone and it showed
> > > reception....
> > > What is going on ?
> > >
> > > Tech at *2 wasnt really helpful just said that "i might need a new
> > > phone" but I am hol;ding out for a bluetooth phone...
> > >
> > > this is all in major metropolitan areas (dc/nyc/boston) on the east
> > > coast...
> > >
> > > thanks!
> >
> > First off, SPCS could be exactly right ... Your A400 is an old phone. In
> > saying that, there are a few steps you can take right now and that's to
> > check what PRL & Firmware versions on your phone. The current PRL is
10023.
> > The current firmware for your phone is WA23 via the info from this
site -
> > http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&p...
..

> > If you don't have one or both of the most recent versions, I'd suggest
going
> > to a SPCS store and have them do the upgrades.
> >
> > While you are there, check out the new line of phones. If you've had
your
> > A400 on the same number for 18 months or longer, you can qualify for a
$150
> > mail in rebate. You can check that out with this link -
> > http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/ .
> >
> > Actually, you don't have to go to the store, if the firmware version is
up
> > to date, but the PRL is out of date, as the PRL can be updated OTA, over
the
> > air, by calling SPCS. I only suggest going to the store, as it's
probably
> > time to think of getting a new phone.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Thats good advice for someone who moved to an new area. Pat apparently
> hasn't changed location but
>
> "over the last couple months am getting more
> and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
> unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception."
>
> The only thing that might help is to resync with your local tower by
> dialing *18
>
> More likely it's 100% Sprint's fault, others want to blame the phone or
> the user, and use a Network problem as an excuse to sell a new phone.

So you leave no room for the possibility that the problems could the phone?

> As with what happened to Justin, if the Network has locally
> deteriorated, a different phone helps not at all, in which case the
> poster may want to consider switching carriers if it is indeed a Network
> issue which isn't quickly resolved.

And how exactly, if you know, does a network ''locally deteriorate'' for
just one user? If there is a local network issue in Boston or anywhere else
in the state, would it not be a known issue?
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 4:11:44 AM

In article <_Sasc.30984$KE6.24018@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"DavyDE" <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:

> "Pat" <drachenfury777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have been with sprint since 1999 and been decently happy with their
> > service (free&clear).
> > I have a samsung a400 and over the last couple months am getting more
> > and more frustrated as a huge number of calls get dropped or i am even
> > unable to place a call despite having 4 bars reception.
> > I am getting messaged from "call failed", "no synch" to "signal faded"
> > or just no message at all.
> > In addition i seem to not receive some calls. they show up hours later
> > on my voice mail, even though i had the phone and it showed
> > reception....
> > What is going on ?
> >
> > Tech at *2 wasnt really helpful just said that "i might need a new
> > phone" but I am hol;ding out for a bluetooth phone...
> >
> > this is all in major metropolitan areas (dc/nyc/boston) on the east
> > coast...
> >
> > thanks!
>
> Shouldn't this be a sign to get a new phone?

That's what Justin was told, and it turned out to be the Sprint Network.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 4:21:06 AM

In article <sYasc.30987$KE6.15569@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
"DavyDE" <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:

> > More likely it's 100% Sprint's fault, others want to blame the phone or
> > the user, and use a Network problem as an excuse to sell a new phone.
>
> So you leave no room for the possibility that the problems could the phone?

I said "likely", that leaves a great than zero percent chance.

I just recall EVERY ONE of the Sprint evangelists insisting in many cases
(and Justin's is just my favorite) that a new phone would solve
everything; and IT WAS THE NETWORK. He wasted many weeks trying new
phones, only to conclude IT WAS THE NETWORK.

Certainly there is a greater than zero percent chance its the phone, but
a Network can degrade more readily than a phone can.

You did read the rest of my post where I suggested he try dialing *18 ?
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 7:20:32 AM

> In article <_Sasc.30984$KE6.24018@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> "DavyDE" <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:
>

> > "Pat" <drachenfury777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > I have been with sprint since 1999 and been decently happy with their

<snip>

> > Shouldn't this be a sign to get a new phone?
>
> That's what Justin was told, and it turned out to be the Sprint Network.

Either way, it's not going to be solved on this newsgroup. It needs to be
addressed by Sprint, one way or the other.
Unfortunately, the easiest way for the carrier to try to resolve this is to
test the current phone.
Then if necessary, switch the phone out and see it that helps. You could be
right, it could be a network issue.
We are not going to find out here though.

It's good that the OP checked here to see if there are any other reported
issues in this NG but, after that, even if a bunch of people in this NG say
they are having the same issue, OP's fate lies in the hands of Sprint. At
least they wouldn't be alone and their may be a master trouble-ticket on the
issue.

Scotty
May 24, 2004 10:37:56 AM

DavyDE wrote:

>>As with what happened to Justin, if the Network has locally
>>deteriorated, a different phone helps not at all, in which case the
>>poster may want to consider switching carriers if it is indeed a Network
>>issue which isn't quickly resolved.
>

> And how exactly, if you know, does a network ''locally deteriorate'' for
> just one user? If there is a local network issue in Boston or anywhere else
> in the state, would it not be a known issue?

Yes, well, I'm running into a bit of that right now. I live in a rather
small town just outside a medium-large city. This city is about 1500
strong and has two truckstops, one featuring a fast-food drive through -
to my knowledge, the only one in town. I can see a major interstate
outside my window, and can hear the cars as I type this. The tower here
was likely built more to expand a corridor than to provide coverage to
the residents. I called an issue into Sprint Sunday. I called again
after midnight monday morning, and they said they still had had no other
reports. The limited number of people here probably didn't result in
enough people that live here caring enough to call in and wait on tech
support and such. It's probably a very busy tower, because of the sheer
traffic passing under its coverage, but for most people, it's a five
minute outage. I'm the only person, probably, that has been hit enough
to call sprint. I suspect most of the residents have some sort of
landline service in addition to their cellular.
-mike
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 1:16:50 PM

In article <8Lgsc.7006$Tn6.3192@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
Mike <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote:

> Yes, well, I'm running into a bit of that right now. I live in a rather
> small town just outside a medium-large city. This city is about 1500
> strong and has two truckstops, one featuring a fast-food drive through -
> to my knowledge, the only one in town. I can see a major interstate
> outside my window, and can hear the cars as I type this. The tower here
> was likely built more to expand a corridor than to provide coverage to
> the residents. I called an issue into Sprint Sunday. I called again
> after midnight monday morning, and they said they still had had no other
> reports. The limited number of people here probably didn't result in
> enough people that live here caring enough to call in and wait on tech
> support and such. It's probably a very busy tower, because of the sheer
> traffic passing under its coverage, but for most people, it's a five
> minute outage. I'm the only person, probably, that has been hit enough
> to call sprint. I suspect most of the residents have some sort of
> landline service in addition to their cellular.

Or maybe they're trained to tell anyone who calls : "This is the first
report of that we've had". I would get that kind of report from Warner
Cable when their Call Waiting message would have word of the outage.

If you think you're giving the first report of an outage:

- It make you feel important

- Perhaps you have lowered expectations of getting it fixed promptly

I have learned to disbelieve CSRs that tell me "This is the first we've
heard of it". I was told that weeks after the Samsung Black 8500 recall
had started when I called in to ask about not having analog working.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 1:24:46 PM

In article <4Sdsc.11562$No1.5578@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>,
"Scott Nelson - Wash DC" <spamcop@bnmnetworks.net> wrote:

> "Røbert M" <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > In article <_Sasc.30984$KE6.24018@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
> > "DavyDE" <DavyDE@NYC.ny> wrote:
> >

> > > "Pat" <drachenfury777@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> <snip>
>

> > > Shouldn't this be a sign to get a new phone?
> >
> > That's what Justin was told, and it turned out to be the Sprint Network.
>
> Either way, it's not going to be solved on this newsgroup. It needs to be
> addressed by Sprint, one way or the other.
> Unfortunately, the easiest way for the carrier to try to resolve this is to
> test the current phone.

Thats what comes of having improper coverage maps. Little Elm was a
known dead zone. Carriers tend to hold back information about issues
with their network.

> Then if necessary, switch the phone out and see it that helps.

Justin was given a new contract, and charged Activation Fees and ETFs
when the replacement phones didn't help, and he returned them, and it
took writing to the Texas Attorney General before Sprint did the right
thing, to zero out the improper charges and let him out of a new
contract.

> You could be
> right, it could be a network issue.
> We are not going to find out here though.

Less likely, but perhaps someone else from Cambridge, Mass is passing
through.

> It's good that the OP checked here to see if there are any other reported
> issues in this NG but, after that, even if a bunch of people in this NG say
> they are having the same issue, OP's fate lies in the hands of Sprint. At
> least they wouldn't be alone and their may be a master trouble-ticket on the
> issue.

Assuming the Sprint rep actually does the paperwork for that, rather
than viewing it as an opportunity to sell some phones. Thats one of the
perils of the commission system.

There is a greater than zero chance my suggestion of dialing *18 could
solve the problem.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 3:43:42 PM

"Røbert M" <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<snipped>
> Thats what comes of having improper coverage maps. Little Elm was a
> known dead zone. Carriers tend to hold back information about issues
> with their network.

Phillipe, why are you bringing Justin's prior problem, which has nothing to
do with the OP's hit and run post here. Justin's in the boondocks.in Texas.
The OP was complaining about dropped calls or no coverage in the major
cities, and oh, by the way, the OP has an old phone, which does need to be
check out at a SPCS store.

> > Then if necessary, switch the phone out and see it that helps.
>
> Justin was given a new contract, and charged Activation Fees and ETFs
> when the replacement phones didn't help, and he returned them, and it
> took writing to the Texas Attorney General before Sprint did the right
> thing, to zero out the improper charges and let him out of a new
> contract.

Again, Justin has nothing to do with the OP's post.

You like to quote Justin here. You've done a few times recently. Surprising
that you would support someone who spouted ALL the words you abhor ...

Bob
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 9:22:43 PM

In article <rmarkoff-8AE184.19114423052004@news5.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> That's what Justin was told, and it turned out to be the Sprint Network.

Justin didn't have a three year old phone. Please stay on topic.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <rmarkoff-567413.04244524052004@news5.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...

> There is a greater than zero chance my suggestion of dialing *18 could
> solve the problem.

Until he leaves his local area, and then can neither make *nor* take
calls, period. You'd simply be changing the problem, not solving it.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <rmarkoff-0411A1.19210523052004@news5.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> You did read the rest of my post where I suggested he try dialing *18 ?

I sure did. And the OP would be calling us again in the future,
because that shuts off the ability to take or make calls outside
one's local calling area.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Sync happens after every call.
In the future Phillip, why not just suggest calling *4, waiting for it to
connect, then hang up and wait 3 seconds.
That's all it takes for the phone to re-sync.
Then make the call you want. If someone is doing this or having 'sync'
issues often, I would say it's a handset issue.
However like you said, there are exceptions to everything but, *18 shouldn't
be done on the Sprint Network at all.

FWIW

Scotty

"O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message
In article <rmarkoff-0411A1.19210523052004@news5.west.earthlink.net>,
rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> You did read the rest of my post where I suggested he try dialing *18 ?

I sure did. And the OP would be calling us again in the future,
because that shuts off the ability to take or make calls outside
one's local calling area.

--
RØß
O/Siris
I work for Sprint PCS
I *don't* speak for them
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 3:02:10 PM

In article <sGyuc.12314$oh7.701@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,
"Scott Nelson - Wash DC" <spamcop@bnmnetworks.net> wrote:

> Sync happens after every call.
> In the future Phillip, why not just suggest calling *4, waiting for it to
> connect, then hang up and wait 3 seconds.
> That's all it takes for the phone to re-sync.
> Then make the call you want. If someone is doing this or having 'sync'
> issues often, I would say it's a handset issue.
> However like you said, there are exceptions to everything but, *18 shouldn't
> be done on the Sprint Network at all.

NOPE, I had the same problem last week, and the next day had CSRs
saying, "Yup we had a Call Provisioning Problem with the Network".

Its the first time that had happened to me in 5+ years with SprintPCS.
June 10, 2004 12:40:27 AM

Wow! so many answers!

Ok, so I need to go to the store and have my phone checked out.... How
do they break?
So far i have done no kinds of firmware/prl upgrades to it, how does
one do that ?

Also, i am curious, what does *18 do?

thanks!

O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message news:<0842b3d22b49265f65f21e0137f98674@news.teranews.com>...
> In article <rmarkoff-8AE184.19114423052004@news5.west.earthlink.net>,
> rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> > That's what Justin was told, and it turned out to be the Sprint Network.
> >

> Justin didn't have a three year old phone. Please stay on topic.
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 11:19:31 AM

In article <aeacadd3.0406091940.643f8f02@posting.google.com>,
drachenfury777@yahoo.com says...
> Wow! so many answers!
>
> Ok, so I need to go to the store and have my phone checked out.... How
> do they break?
> So far i have done no kinds of firmware/prl upgrades to it, how does
> one do that ?
>
> Also, i am curious, what does *18 do?
>

> thanks!

*18 re-registers your phone on the network, but it ALSO turns off a
setting (whose name I forget) in the network that enables your phone
to take and make calls outside its local calling area.

How does it break? Do you know how small those circuit traces are
inside a phone? It doesn't a lot of corrosion to break one. That's
just one example.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In article <aeacadd3.0406091940.643f8f02@posting.google.com>,
drachenfury777@yahoo.com (Pat) wrote:

> Wow! so many answers!
>
> Ok, so I need to go to the store and have my phone checked out.... How
> do they break?

Cips get hot while making calls. Make enough long calls, and the
electronic circuits may get degraded.
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 5:44:47 PM

> Wow! so many answers!
>
> Ok, so I need to go to the store and have my phone checked out.... How
> do they break?
> So far i have done no kinds of firmware/prl upgrades to it, how does
> one do that ?

You've already received answers on how a phone might break, so I'll pass
that one up. Regarding the firmware update, that has to be done at a local
SPCS store. You can check the current firmware version for your phones at
http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&p...

Updating the firmware on your phone could take you 20 to 30 minutes to get
it done. The PRL can be uploaded to the phone as well, when you are there,
or you can try doing it OTA (Over the air), if you are in an area with a
strong signal. Just dial *2 and the system should recognize if you need a
PRL update. Only takes a minute to do it.

If you know you have an outdated PRL, and the system doesn't recognize that
you need a new one, stay on the line and say PRL, when prompted. This will
get you to a CS rep, where you ask for all phones on your account to be
flagged for the upgrade. Once they are flagged, you can call *2 30 minutes
later, and it should go through and get updated on your phone.

Bob
June 10, 2004 8:10:34 PM

O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message news:<53cba02173bd526412b9ad06baeff364@news.teranews.com>...
> In article <aeacadd3.0406091940.643f8f02@posting.google.com>,
> drachenfury777@yahoo.com says...
> > Wow! so many answers!
> >
> > Ok, so I need to go to the store and have my phone checked out.... How
> > do they break?
> > So far i have done no kinds of firmware/prl upgrades to it, how does
> > one do that ?
> >
> > Also, i am curious, what does *18 do?
> >

> > thanks!
> >

> *18 re-registers your phone on the network, but it ALSO turns off a
> setting (whose name I forget) in the network that enables your phone
> to take and make calls outside its local calling area.

Duh.... I just tried *18 on a whim and it didnt really do anything...
does it mean it wont work now when i travel? How to reverse this ?

> How does it break? Do you know how small those circuit traces are
> inside a phone? It doesn't a lot of corrosion to break one. That's
> just one example.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:39:06 AM

In article <aeacadd3.0406101510.591471a@posting.google.com>,
drachenfury777@yahoo.com (Pat) wrote:

> O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.com> wrote in message
> > In article <aeacadd3.0406091940.643f8f02@posting.google.com>,
> > drachenfury777@yahoo.com says...
> > > Wow! so many answers!
> > >
> > > Ok, so I need to go to the store and have my phone checked out.... How
> > > do they break?
> > > So far i have done no kinds of firmware/prl upgrades to it, how does
> > > one do that ?
> > >
> > > Also, i am curious, what does *18 do?
> > >

> > > thanks!
> > >

> > *18 re-registers your phone on the network, but it ALSO turns off a
> > setting (whose name I forget) in the network that enables your phone
> > to take and make calls outside its local calling area.
>
> Duh.... I just tried *18 on a whim and it didnt really do anything...
> does it mean it wont work now when i travel? How to reverse this ?
>

> > How does it break? Do you know how small those circuit traces are
> > inside a phone? It doesn't a lot of corrosion to break one. That's
> > just one example.

I'm having similar issues with a Sanyo 5400 which at least one Tech told
me is a known issue, documented on a website that is gotten to through
Sprint's intranet inside pinpoint.com.

4 Bars Signal
Phone gets Network Busy message : another identical model phone does not.
Calls that get through get dropped
Calls that are sustained have other party saying "You're Breaking up",
when you can hear them perfectly.

Allegedly they are working on a Free New replacement phone for me.
!