Attention Bill Huffman

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"pjl" <do$feratu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/10/eveningnews/main616664.shtml

Hi PJL,

Both CBS and NBC did academic fraud stories yesterday. I think it is in
anticipation of the GAO report coming out on their academic fraud
investigation. It appears very likely that there's going to be a huge sweep
for academic frauds throughout the whole civil service because the report
only covers GS18 and above and only identifies people that bought bogus
degrees from degree mills, like Derek Smart's alma mater. They didn't
investigate academic frauds that were claiming bogus degrees that weren't
earned but from real schools. There report is supposed to indicate there's a
bunch of damn stinking academic frauds in our federal government.

You also may not be aware that over the last few years 6 states have passed
laws making the use of most unaccredited degrees illegal. There's a number
of other states looking to pass similar laws. What it all means is that
academic frauds are coming under increased pressure. I'm hoping that the
rampant rise in the crime of academic fraud has reached a peak and will now
see a down turn.

"Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message

> > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/10/eveningnews/main616664.shtml
>
> =0
>
> Bill,
>
> How in the heck did you miss this story? Are you slipping, or was your
> silence a clever ploy to trick Pat into posting here again?

I saw that story yesterday. I didn't realize that you there was such a
following on academic fraud news stories around here. :) I'll make sure I
let you guys know when the GAO investigation makes the papers.

BTW, did you know about the 11 academic frauds in Georgia that were recently
in the news?

"Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
> >
> > > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/10/eveningnews/main616664.shtml
> >
> > =0
> >
> > Bill,
> >
> > How in the heck did you miss this story? Are you slipping, or was your
> > silence a clever ploy to trick Pat into posting here again?
>
> I saw that story yesterday. I didn't realize that you there was such a
> following on academic fraud news stories around here. :) I'll make sure
> let you guys know when the GAO investigation makes the papers.

Hopefully later this week we'll see some articles from the general press.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uslatest/story/0,1282,-4079641,00.html

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0504/051104d1.htm

Here's the actual GAO report.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04771t.pdf

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

In message <1rwf4d4y8teyf.1j1jb7es4xay9$.dlg@40tude.net>, Bret Ripley
<ripley@olywa.net> writes

[I admit a post edit]

[...]

Fix your attributions Jeffyhead. There is a brod in there somewhere.

[...]

Could this be ? Surely not .....

[...]

>>>archetypical social angst-thingies. I was simply getting in touch with my
>>>own personal "Jeffy".

Quite.

[...]

> Watched it somewhere between
>Heathrow and Seattle -- I'm afraid I don't remember much about it.

The admission that you get drunk on Airplanes is noted. Perhaps we'll
get lucky and you will be dumped over the pond next time.

Bloody snoring git.

>And that's it. I really meant to see "Deconstructing Harry", but never got
>around to it.
>
>> Where do I queue?

That explains the presence of Brod.

Hello Everyone.

Nothing changes it seems. A thread about Academic Fraud?

--
Tom

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

> From: asp <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid>
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim
> Subject: Re: Attention Bill Huffman
> Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 21:49:55 +0100
>
> In message <1rwf4d4y8teyf.1j1jb7es4xay9$.dlg@40tude.net>, Bret Ripley
> <ripley@olywa.net> writes

> [I admit a post edit]

What can I say? I'm flattered, of course.

> [...]
>
> Fix your attributions Jeffyhead. There is a brod in there somewhere.

Oh, crud. You're right, of course. I'm using 40tude dialog, default
settings. "Show all headers" is a bit over-the-top, so I'll keep working
on it. Thanks for being enough of a pedantic twat to point it out.

> [...]
>
> Could this be ? Surely not .....

Either way, it's giving me nightmares. I guess now we'll have to hide the
sheep *and* the brie.

> [...]
>
> Quite.
>
> [...]
>
>> Watched it somewhere between
>>Heathrow and Seattle -- I'm afraid I don't remember much about it.
>
> The admission that you get drunk on Airplanes is noted.

Even when drunk I don't capitalize random nouns. Of course, you could be
using "Airplanes" as a proper noun. I don't recall ever getting drunk on
anyone named Airplanes, but I'll check my scrapbook.

> Perhaps we'll
> get lucky and you will be dumped over the pond next time.
>
> Bloody snoring git.

That's the first sensible thing you've said so far.

>>And that's it. I really meant to see "Deconstructing Harry", but never got
>>around to it.
>>
>>> Where do I queue?
>>
> That explains the presence of Brod.

You don't need to capitalize br d. He's kind of like Airplanes in that
regard.

> Hello Everyone.

Everyone: see Airplanes.

> Nothing changes it seems. A thread about Academic Fraud?

Academic Fraud: see Charles Abell.

Bret

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On or about 5/12/2004 1:49:55 PM, asp <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> said:

[snip]

> Fix your attributions Jeffyhead.

There we go: all better.

/|\ Bret Ripley teh
,_, grate arsehole of usenet

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:38:40 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
wrote:

>/|\ Bret Ripley teh
>,_, grate arsehole of usenet

I've created a monstar.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On or about 5/12/2004 4:15:06 PM, Lemming
<thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> said:
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:38:40 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
> wrote:

>>/|\ Bret Ripley teh
>>,_, grate arsehole of usenet
>
> I've created a monstar.

Daddy?

/|\ Bret Ripley teh
,_, grate arsehole of usenet

Lemming <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 12 May 2004 14:38:40 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
> wrote:

>>/|\ Bret Ripley teh
>>,_, grate arsehole of usenet
>
> I've created a monstar.

C'mon, this is, nominally, a space-sim froup, that should be a binstar
at the very least.

--
James jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

Drive defensively. Buy a tank.

Bill Huffman wrote:
> I saw that story yesterday. I didn't realize that you there was such a
> following on academic fraud news stories around here. :) I'll make
> sure I let you guys know when the GAO investigation makes the papers.
>
> BTW, did you know about the 11 academic frauds in Georgia that were
> recently in the news?

Bill, have you always had an interest in academic fraud, or did your
interest derive from your involvement with, uh . . . you know--*that* fraud?
:)

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:28:34 +0100, asp
<dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:

[Snipping frenzy]

>Of course, you mentioning yourself 5 times in a row demonstrates an ego
>as yet unmeasured, but thought to be in the range of several parsecs at
>least. Jeffyhead.

Hello Tom! Good to see you here again, hope everything is fine and
dandy with you.

Right, that's the niceties out of the way.

Just who the hell do you think you are Dawkins?? You breeze in here
without so much as a by your leave and then start slagging off our
Bret. I think you've got a lot of damn gall to accuse Bretsy of
egotism (yes, of course he's insufferable, but the point is *you*
haven't been suffering him) when you yourself are actively campaigning
to have a whole planet named for you. I mean, talk about PKB.

You know, it's people like you (and Bret and Lemming and me and
Huffman, especially Huffman) who are ruining this froup (you have to
say "froup" for some unfathomable reason). Nazi Germany blah blah
blah...

br d

(Who is unsure of his legitimacy in posting here as he is neither an
IT consultant or an Accountant. Can't you get something about this
into the FAQ Lem?)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

In message <1pzbeqanphkw8.1dwywgczpjem1$.dlg@40tude.net>, Bret Ripley
<ripley@olywa.net> writes
>On or about 5/12/2004 5:40:11 PM, asp <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> said:
>> In message <1oi8ki9szw8k8$.fd3svu91yy58$.dlg@40tude.net>, Bret Ripley
>> <ripley@olywa.net> writes
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>>I, too, am an accountant (some of the time, anyway). And I am most
>>>definitely a pedantic twat. So there you go being right again.
>>>

>> Profession or trade ?
>
>Trade, if I understand the term correctly.

Yes, you're correct. Working in the profession means working for a firm
of Chartered Accountants - nothing to particularly proud of these days
after Enron et all.

> Or maybe Profession, otherwise.
>Anyway, I'm not anything like a Chartered Accountant, if that helps clarify
>things. I am also a customs broker, farmer, and freight forwarder. I'm
>not very good at any one of them, so I spread myself around a bit just to
>look busy.

Cor blimey, how do you find the time to post to / read Usenet ?

I think my admission to being a F.C.A is going to get me ribbed around
here something wicked, if I'm not careful.

[...]

>> I confess. I am both an Airplane and a Starship fanatic.
>
>I didn't know it was possible to be both.
>
>http://snipurl.com/6d9a

I probably never recovered from John Cleese's Chartered Accountants
sketch.

'We built this city' was a particularly awful example of their later
stuff. It featured in a similar chart over here. I think at no 81 but I
am not sure.

I did say 'Jefferson' at one point. The earlier albums are worth
checking out. Red Octopus and Dragon Fly in particular. Miracles ( for
romantic reasons) is my favorite tune of all time.

[...]

>>>Tom? Tom Dawkins? Nice to have you back, Tom.
>>>
>> Thank you. I expected the place to be full of threads about Iraq. I
>> guess all that is going to be *said* has been.
>
>Yeah, that about sums it up. It doesn't take long for such threads to
>devolve into meaningless monologues. OTHOH, if watching pretentious,
>simple-minded goons talk past each other is your cup of tea, you may wish
>to check out c.s.i.p.g.flight-sim.

I think I'll give that a miss, thanks.

>> I haven't looked in
>> google.
>>
>>>Now, please feel free to piss off any time you like, won't you? Such a
>>>clever lad.
>>
>> Heads towards the exit with his tail between his legs.
>
>Oh, now don't be like that, Tom. Pull up a chair and tell us all about
>this tail of yours.

Don't we all have tails ? There is nothing unusual about mine.

*Snort*

>> [I'd try some ASCII art except I'm no good at it.]
>
>That doesn't stop Batters.

I think I've come across him in alt.usenet.kooks recently.
Are you suggesting that is a more appropriate place for him ?

If Louis was around he'd be crossposting him to demon.local.

{Please don't}

--
Tom

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

In message <2s67a0plnlugqluvi4vts7uomqvmkuqqpc@4ax.com>, br d
<misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> writes
>On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:28:34 +0100, asp
><dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:
>

>[Snipping frenzy]
>
>>Of course, you mentioning yourself 5 times in a row demonstrates an ego
>>as yet unmeasured, but thought to be in the range of several parsecs at
>>least. Jeffyhead.
>
>Hello Tom! Good to see you here again, hope everything is fine and
>dandy with you.

Hello Metrin! Glad to see you are still around and sounding very
chirpy. I'm much improved, which didn't stop me from having a Meldrew
moment yesterday. I got fined 20 pounds for staying too long in a
Waitrose car park while shopping. My subsequent behavior was pretty
appalling. My wife got the fine refunded on the telephone to the manager
afterwards.

>Right, that's the niceties out of the way.

Good.

>Just who the hell do you think you are Dawkins?? You breeze in here
>without so much as a by your leave and then start slagging off our
>Bret

Disgraceful of me. I really deserve to be censored for my own outrageous
conduct.

>. I think you've got a lot of damn gall to accuse Bretsy of
>egotism (yes, of course he's insufferable, but the point is *you*
>haven't been suffering him) when you yourself are actively campaigning
>to have a whole planet named for you. I mean, talk about PKB.

More or less anything written on usenet is a PKB. Are you suggesting
that there are any regular posters without outrageous egos around here ?

I'd love to have a planet named after me. Perhaps if Braben ever gets
round to starting/finishing/publishing E4 we may have that opportunity
by being able to rename the planets..

[Please note the on topic remark]

>You know, it's people like you (and Bret and Lemming and me and
>Huffman, especially Huffman) who are ruining this froup (you have to
>say "froup" for some unfathomable reason).

If anyone can tell me the derivation of the word 'froup', I would be
very curious to know. My best guess so far is there isn't one and that's
the point - but I'm more than willing to be proved wrong.

I notice Huffman talking about flies. Perhaps it would be more
appropriate to talk about his pet flees. I am sure he should have one
named after a certain fellow whose name I just can't remember. Perhaps
someone will remind me....

> Nazi Germany blah blah

I win the thread. Godwin's Law invoked..

>(Who is unsure of his legitimacy in posting here as he is neither an
>IT consultant or an Accountant. Can't you get something about this
>into the FAQ Lem?)

Which are you ? To be really part of the in crowd you have to be both.

Where is this infamous FAQ ? Trusting the Viking with it seems a bit
dubious to me.

--
Tom

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:25:37 +0100, asp
<dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:

>In message <2s67a0plnlugqluvi4vts7uomqvmkuqqpc@4ax.com>, br d
><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> writes
>>On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:28:34 +0100, asp
>><dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:
>>

>>[Snipping frenzy]
>>
>>>Of course, you mentioning yourself 5 times in a row demonstrates an ego
>>>as yet unmeasured, but thought to be in the range of several parsecs at
>>>least. Jeffyhead.
>>
>>Hello Tom! Good to see you here again, hope everything is fine and
>>dandy with you.
>>
>Hello Metrin! Glad to see you are still around and sounding very
>chirpy. I'm much improved,

This is excellent news.

>which didn't stop me from having a Meldrew
>moment yesterday. I got fined 20 pounds for staying too long in a
>Waitrose car park while shopping. My subsequent behavior was pretty
>appalling. My wife got the fine refunded on the telephone to the manager
>afterwards.

Ah the joys of car parking. I hope you used the obligatory "Don't you
have something useful you could be doing" retort. I think the details
behind "My subsequent behaviour was pretty appalling." need to be
aired.

>>Right, that's the niceties out of the way.
>
>Good.
>>
>>Just who the hell do you think you are Dawkins?? You breeze in here
>>without so much as a by your leave and then start slagging off our
>>Bret
>
>Disgraceful of me. I really deserve to be censored for my own outrageous
>conduct.

That's better, we're only a third of a way into the post and I have
you grovelling already.

>>. I think you've got a lot of damn gall to accuse Bretsy of
>>egotism (yes, of course he's insufferable, but the point is *you*
>>haven't been suffering him) when you yourself are actively campaigning
>>to have a whole planet named for you. I mean, talk about PKB.
>>
>More or less anything written on usenet is a PKB. Are you suggesting
>that there are any regular posters without outrageous egos around here ?

Everyone here is painfully shy and self effacing, in a kind of
outrageously over the top and self important way. It's easy to become
confused.

>I'd love to have a planet named after me. Perhaps if Braben ever gets
>round to starting/finishing/publishing E4 we may have that opportunity
>by being able to rename the planets..

Oh I see. I thought you were lobbying Tom Beckman to actually have a
fixed in game Planet named after yourself, now it's just the
opportunity to rename one, you're back pedalling Dawkins, what ever
happened to that Waitrose car park attitude you were once famous for?

>[Please note the on topic remark]

Noted, any more of same and Lemming will send the boys round to beat
you senseless with 5 foot high concrete emoticons.

>>You know, it's people like you (and Bret and Lemming and me and
>>Huffman, especially Huffman) who are ruining this froup (you have to
>>say "froup" for some unfathomable reason).
>
>If anyone can tell me the derivation of the word 'froup', I would be
>very curious to know. My best guess so far is there isn't one and that's
>the point - but I'm more than willing to be proved wrong.

That's why you've been sorely missed.

>I notice Huffman talking about flies. Perhaps it would be more
>appropriate to talk about his pet flees. I am sure he should have one
>named after a certain fellow whose name I just can't remember. Perhaps
>someone will remind me....
>
>> Nazi Germany blah blah
>
>I win the thread. Godwin's Law invoked..

Nonsense, I was invoking the intentional mentional:

http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/g/Godwin_s_Law.html

so it's still Pooh Sticks to me and just plain Poo to you.

>>(Who is unsure of his legitimacy in posting here as he is neither an
>>IT consultant or an Accountant. Can't you get something about this
>>into the FAQ Lem?)
>
>Which are you ? To be really part of the in crowd you have to be both.

Well, I'm actually a burglar, but Lem's promised to make me a special
dispensation in the (long awaited) FAQ.

>Where is this infamous FAQ ? Trusting the Viking with it seems a bit
>dubious to me.

Quite.

br d

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

br d <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:28:34 +0100, asp
> <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:
>

> [Snipping frenzy]
>
>>Of course, you mentioning yourself 5 times in a row demonstrates an ego
>>as yet unmeasured, but thought to be in the range of several parsecs at
>>least. Jeffyhead.

Ah, this would be yet another dinosaur appearing, yes? Hi, I see
you aspire to the same low standards as the rest of these freaks

> Just who the hell do you think you are Dawkins?? You breeze in here
> without so much as a by your leave and then start slagging off our
> Bret. I think you've got a lot of damn gall to accuse Bretsy of
> egotism (yes, of course he's insufferable, but the point is *you*
> haven't been suffering him) when you yourself are actively campaigning
> to have a whole planet named for you. I mean, talk about PKB.

That seems perfectly reasonable from where I am sitting, on the
microplanetoid Kegster[1], in case you were wondering ;)

> You know, it's people like you (and Bret and Lemming and me and
> Huffman, especially Huffman) who are ruining this froup (you have to
> say "froup" for some unfathomable reason). Nazi Germany blah blah
> blah...

I'm shocked and disappointed that I haven't been lumped in with
huffy and the lemster(he realises he is also a rather dreary little
town somewhere up north, doesn't he?)[2]

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/N/newsfroup.html

HTH, HAND

> (Who is unsure of his legitimacy in posting here as he is neither an
> IT consultant or an Accountant. Can't you get something about this
> into the FAQ Lem?)

If you can make large amounts of other peoples money disappear sooper
fast we'll make you an honourary IT conslutant on Accountant ;)

--
James jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

'hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?'

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

In message <87r7toyonx.fsf@athena.homeric.co.uk>, Kegs <me@privacy.net>
writes
>br d <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:28:34 +0100, asp
>> <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:

[...]

>Ah, this would be yet another dinosaur appearing, yes? Hi, I see
>you aspire to the same low standards as the rest of these freaks

N00bie. Yes, absolutely. The lower the better. Most of us were trolled
here by a certain bogus doctor or Louis or both over a period of many
years. What's your excuse ?

>> Just who the hell do you think you are Dawkins?? You breeze in here
>> without so much as a by your leave and then start slagging off our
>> Bret. I think you've got a lot of damn gall to accuse Bretsy of
>> egotism (yes, of course he's insufferable, but the point is *you*
>> haven't been suffering him) when you yourself are actively campaigning
>> to have a whole planet named for you. I mean, talk about PKB.

{Note to brid. My wife sneaked up and looked over my shoulder while I
was writing this and laughed her head off - good work, there's a good
chance I might get forgiven for yesterday now]

>That seems perfectly reasonable from where I am sitting, on the
>microplanetoid Kegster[1], in case you were wondering ;)

I thought so to.

What's with the [1] and [2] ? Do you like dangling your references ?

An emoticon eh ? 'Lemster' will have yer guts for breakfast

>> You know, it's people like you (and Bret and Lemming and me and
>> Huffman, especially Huffman) who are ruining this froup (you have to
>> say "froup" for some unfathomable reason). Nazi Germany blah blah
>> blah...

>I'm shocked and disappointed that I haven't been lumped in with
>huffy and the lemster(he realises he is also a rather dreary little
>town somewhere up north, doesn't he?)[2]

You have to earn your sergeant's stripes first. N00bie.

>http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/N/newsfroup.html

This is just about the way I thought it may have happened. Together with
the inference that if ask the question in the wrong place on usenet you
get called a clueless n00bie. N00bie.

[..]

>> (Who is unsure of his legitimacy in posting here as he is neither an
>> IT consultant or an Accountant. Can't you get something about this
>> into the FAQ Lem?)
>
>If you can make large amounts of other peoples money disappear sooper
>fast we'll make you an honourary IT conslutant on Accountant ;)
xxx

I grab teh money both ways (or I used to). I'm an equal opportunity
worker. So what do you do n00bie ?

I thought 'sluts' were normally female, James. I refer you Br d Metrin
our resident cross gender expert if you're confused.

--
Tom

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Bill Huffman wrote:
> > I saw that story yesterday. I didn't realize that you there was such a
> > following on academic fraud news stories around here. :) I'll make
> > sure I let you guys know when the GAO investigation makes the papers.
> >
> > BTW, did you know about the 11 academic frauds in Georgia that were
> > recently in the news?
>
> Bill, have you always had an interest in academic fraud, or did your
> interest derive from your involvement with, uh . . . you know--*that*
fraud?
> :)

How simple, many have made accusations, others have wondered aloud but I
think that you're the first to simply ask. It is such a strange and novel
approach that I seem to have little choice but to answer. (After
pontificating first for my own personal amusement.)

I've always had a special facination for frauds in general. I've also always
had the greatest respect for education in general. This kind of came
together when I thought that I might be able to chase the Taco Supreme
Commander off of the newsgroups back in 1997. My respect for education is
rather strange in that I thouroughly enjoyed school and still enjoy
learning. As another example of my wierdness, when I was elementary school
age I read most of the Encyclopedia Britanica Junior just for fun.

A few years ago after telling a little story on my favorite on-line
playground, www.degreeinfo.com , I realized why I was so amused and
facinated by frauds . I think that some may find the story amusing so I'll
post a link here. Of course if I offend any Mormons with my story then
please let me know so that I can hopefully offend you even worse with some
special custom made flames.

http://forums.degreeinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6993

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 13 May 2004 23:41:07 +0100, asp
<dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:

>In message <ldk7a0to7tnh6p0gfcu88u61k6d5jdfvlf@4ax.com>, br d
><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> writes
>>On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:25:37 +0100, asp
>><dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>In message <2s67a0plnlugqluvi4vts7uomqvmkuqqpc@4ax.com>, br d
>>><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> writes
>
>[....]
>

>>>which didn't stop me from having a Meldrew
>>>moment yesterday. I got fined 20 pounds for staying too long in a
>>>Waitrose car park while shopping. My subsequent behavior was pretty
>>>appalling. My wife got the fine refunded on the telephone to the manager
>>>afterwards.
>>
>>Ah the joys of car parking. I hope you used the obligatory "Don't you
>>have something useful you could be doing" retort. I think the details
>>behind "My subsequent behaviour was pretty appalling." need to be
>>aired.
>>

>I turned my engine off. Folded my arms raised my window and waited.
>
>'Jobs Worth' folded his arms and sat back in his booth and waited.
>
>A long queue of cars formed behind us. At that point my wife became
>embarrassed and started sorting out how much money in change we still
>had to pay the fine. I got out of the car and headed towards the booth.
>demanded he write his name down and find the manager. I didn't swear but
>I did raise my voice to explain that what they were doing was illegal
>and their notice was too small and in the wrong place and anyway and
>they had left the booth unsupervised until two weeks ago and what is
>more they all went home at 5 o'clock anyway. I also suggested that we
>were regular customers who got most of our weekly groceries from his
>store. He started shaking (I can sound quite formidable at times )
><cough> - at which point my wife persuaded me to withdraw having
>summoned up 17 pounds to pay the fine. The bar was lifted and we left. I
>am now in the doghouse and have been warned about my future conduct.

Must try harder.
I personally think you showed admirable restraint.

Parking of any sort has now become the domain of the wretched. I'm not
sure of your geographical location Tom, but if you ever spend any time
in London you'll know what I mean. I work in West London quiet
frequently and the wardens there are little more than highway robbers,
employing such edifying tactics as riding past your vehicle on their
little mopeds, writing out the ticket around the corner and then
riding back and slapping it on quick so you don't get a chance to
explain that you are loading, or lurking about in the morning at 7:59,
ticket ready in hand to be slapped on at 1second past 8:00. They are
supposed to allow a short loading time, but they wait for you to go
into the property and then stick on the ticket and ah heck off, how can
you then prove how long you've been there? I hate them, all of them,
they should be shoved into cattle trucks and...ahem...I mean, fine
body of men, vital to the smooth running etc etc etc...

>Has anyone else ever been fined in a UK supermarket car park before or
>is this a first ?

Not in a supermarket, but I have in the town. They've fitted one of
those machines in our local car park now that you have to enter your
number plate into so it can be printed on the ticket. I love this one.
You go into the car park, pay the council set rate for an hour, but if
you leave after twenty minutes you're not allowed to give the ticket
to someone else, they have to pay for their hour too. Can you imagine
ringing up your local council and asking them for a rebate on your
council tax because you're taking two weeks holiday?

>>>Good.

>>>Disgraceful of me. I really deserve to be censored for my own outrageous
>>>conduct.
>>
>>That's better, we're only a third of a way into the post and I have
>>you grovelling already.
>>
>I always grovel in your presence oh mighty one, Oh ruler of the universe
>and everything etc.

Better, a little more obsequiousness wouldn't go amiss though.

>>>More or less anything written on usenet is a PKB. Are you suggesting
>>>that there are any regular posters without outrageous egos around here ?
>>
>>Everyone here is painfully shy and self effacing, in a kind of
>>outrageously over the top and self important way. It's easy to become
>>confused.
>>

>>>I'd love to have a planet named after me. Perhaps if Braben ever gets
>>>round to starting/finishing/publishing E4 we may have that opportunity
>>>by being able to rename the planets..
>>
>>Oh I see. I thought you were lobbying Tom Beckman to actually have a
>>fixed in game Planet named after yourself, now it's just the
>>opportunity to rename one, you're back pedalling Dawkins, what ever
>>happened to that Waitrose car park attitude you were once famous for?
>>
>Is Beckers still around ? Is he still working on it ? If he is, yes
>please. I would like it to be an outdoor planet with loads of potential
>for growth and expansion and that sort of thing.
>
>I still want to beta test his silly game if it ever gets that far.

Tom is here occasionally, perhaps we should start a national campaign
on your behalf?

>>>[Please note the on topic remark]
>>
>>Noted, any more of same and Lemming will send the boys round to beat
>>you senseless with 5 foot high concrete emoticons.

>>>If anyone can tell me the derivation of the word 'froup', I would be
>>>very curious to know. My best guess so far is there isn't one and that's
>>>the point - but I'm more than willing to be proved wrong.
>>
>>That's why you've been sorely missed.
>>
>Bet you haven't thought about me at all.
>
>>>I win the thread. Godwin's Law invoked..
>>
>>Nonsense, I was invoking the intentional mentional:
>>
>>http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/g/Godwin_s_Law.html
>>
>I am not clicking on your link - no I 'm not. So there.
>
>{Huff}
>
>>so it's still Pooh Sticks to me and just plain Poo to you.
>>

>Oh no, not another argument about Godwin's law - I refer you to the huge
>back catalogue of such arguments in Google.
>
>Any mention of the nazis, * I mean any mention of the nazis* renders
>*any* further discussion in that thread completely meaningless i.e. you
>lose.
>
>Tee hee.

>>>Which are you ? To be really part of the in crowd you have to be both.
>>

>[Meatballs Metrin evades the question]

I didn't evade it, I just refused to click on it that's all.

>>Well, I'm actually a burglar,
>
>PPOSTFU. [I've been meaning to use stfu for ages ]

What's the PPO?

>Details of all outstanding jobs please on a postcard or two - to be
>forwarded to your local nick.
>
>(I've often wondered what you did with that delivery van you claimed to
>have some time ago)
>
>> but Lem's promised to make me a special
>>dispensation in the (long awaited) FAQ.
>>
>You mean it's in the same league as a certain ( not to be named ) games
>manual. Vapourware ?
>

>>>Where is this infamous FAQ ? Trusting the Viking with it seems a bit
>>>dubious to me.
>>
>>Quite.
>>
>Indeed.

Exactly

br d

On Thu, 13 May 2004 22:58:58 +0100, Kegs <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>br d <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:28:34 +0100, asp
>> <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:
>>

>> [Snipping frenzy]
>>
>>>Of course, you mentioning yourself 5 times in a row demonstrates an ego
>>>as yet unmeasured, but thought to be in the range of several parsecs at
>>>least. Jeffyhead.
>
>Ah, this would be yet another dinosaur appearing, yes? Hi, I see
>you aspire to the same low standards as the rest of these freaks
>
>> Just who the hell do you think you are Dawkins?? You breeze in here
>> without so much as a by your leave and then start slagging off our
>> Bret. I think you've got a lot of damn gall to accuse Bretsy of
>> egotism (yes, of course he's insufferable, but the point is *you*
>> haven't been suffering him) when you yourself are actively campaigning
>> to have a whole planet named for you. I mean, talk about PKB.
>
>That seems perfectly reasonable from where I am sitting, on the
>microplanetoid Kegster[1], in case you were wondering ;)
>
>> You know, it's people like you (and Bret and Lemming and me and
>> Huffman, especially Huffman) who are ruining this froup (you have to
>> say "froup" for some unfathomable reason). Nazi Germany blah blah
>> blah...
>
>I'm shocked and disappointed that I haven't been lumped in with
>huffy and the lemster(he realises he is also a rather dreary little
>town somewhere up north, doesn't he?)[2]

Sorry Jamesy, there are many here who deserve a mention on the roll
call of (f)group ruiners, but I was actually having a crafty dig at
FLY, who mentioned us four (well, those three, my name must have been
a typo) recently as the people to be avoided and killfiled. I still
haven't forgiven him for it, and I'm pretending I don't read his
(often excellent) posts.

>http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/N/newsfroup.html
>
>HTH, HAND
>
>> (Who is unsure of his legitimacy in posting here as he is neither an
>> IT consultant or an Accountant. Can't you get something about this
>> into the FAQ Lem?)
>
>If you can make large amounts of other peoples money disappear sooper
>fast we'll make you an honourary IT conslutant on Accountant ;)

br d

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 01:07:19 +0100, asp
<dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:

>{Note to brid. My wife sneaked up and looked over my shoulder while I
>was writing this and laughed her head off - good work, there's a good
>chance I might get forgiven for yesterday now]

My god, somebody found me amusing? Get her on here, I need the
support.

If it does lead to your de-doghousing you can return the favour, I'll
need you to say you was with me all last Monday night.

br d

asp <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> writes:

> In message <87r7toyonx.fsf@athena.homeric.co.uk>, Kegs <me@privacy.net>
> writes
>>br d <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> On Wed, 12 May 2004 23:28:34 +0100, asp
>>> <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> wrote:
>>>

> [...]
>
>>Ah, this would be yet another dinosaur appearing, yes? Hi, I see
>>you aspire to the same low standards as the rest of these freaks
>>

> N00bie. Yes, absolutely. The lower the better. Most of us were trolled
> here by a certain bogus doctor or Louis or both over a period of many
> years. What's your excuse ?

My perverse sense of humour, oh and getting trolled/trolling back at louise
in realtime, which can be fun. Louise still does IRC in an Elite related[1]
IRC chan. And I despise deek as well.

> {Note to brid. My wife sneaked up and looked over my shoulder while I
> was writing this and laughed her head off - good work, there's a good
> chance I might get forgiven for yesterday now]
>

>>That seems perfectly reasonable from where I am sitting, on the
>>microplanetoid Kegster[1], in case you were wondering ;)
>>
> I thought so to.
>
> What's with the [1] and [2] ? Do you like dangling your references ?

insufficient caffeine. [1] is "Its a perfectly good name for a wheely chair",
[2] is "everywhere is oop north from where I am sitting"

> An emoticon eh ? 'Lemster' will have yer guts for breakfast

I'm not afraid of that northern wotsit, though he will appreciate
this link: http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/004006.html

>>I'm shocked and disappointed that I haven't been lumped in with
>>huffy and the lemster(he realises he is also a rather dreary little
>>town somewhere up north, doesn't he?)[2]
>
> You have to earn your sergeant's stripes first. N00bie.

can I steal them instead?

>>> (Who is unsure of his legitimacy in posting here as he is neither an
>>> IT consultant or an Accountant. Can't you get something about this
>>> into the FAQ Lem?)
>>
>>If you can make large amounts of other peoples money disappear sooper
>>fast we'll make you an honourary IT conslutant on Accountant ;)
> xxx
>>
> I grab teh money both ways (or I used to). I'm an equal opportunity
> worker. So what do you do n00bie ?

I am, due to bad karma in a previous life I suspect, a Unix Sysadmin

> I thought 'sluts' were normally female, James. I refer you Br d Metrin
> our resident cross gender expert if you're confused.

Will there be diagrams?

--
James jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

In message <87isezq9pt.fsf@athena.homeric.co.uk>, Kegs <me@privacy.net>
writes
>asp <dbr1300@jkdcomp.demon.invalid> writes:
>
>> In message <87r7toyonx.fsf@athena.homeric.co.uk>, Kegs <me@privacy.net>
>> writes
>>>br d <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> writes:

[...]

>> N00bie. Yes, absolutely. The lower the better. Most of us were trolled
>> here by a certain bogus doctor or Louis or both over a period of many
>> years. What's your excuse ?
>
>My perverse sense of humour,

I presume you do nob jokes.

> oh and getting trolled/trolling back at louise
>in realtime, which can be fun. Louise still does IRC in an Elite related[1]
>IRC chan. And I despise deek as well.

I know where you mean. I popped in there in its early days a couple of
times. I decided that I was not really a fan of on line chat lines. On
one amusing occasion, I found myself in #elite which at that time,
anyway, was full of wannabee models aspiring to join the elite modeling
agency. I ran away as fast of that tail of mine would allow.

'Despise' , I think, is not the word I'd use. 'Lack of respect for' and
'forfeit of trust' would be more appropriate. He could well be quite
likable on a personal level. There was a time after his outing by Bain
when he should have / could have walked away with a certain amount of
both.

[...]

>> What's with the [1] and [2] ? Do you like dangling your references ?
>
>insufficient caffeine. [1] is "Its a perfectly good name for a wheely chair",
>[2] is "everywhere is oop north from where I am sitting"

All is now explained.

[..]

>>>I'm shocked and disappointed that I haven't been lumped in with
>>>huffy and the lemster(he realises he is also a rather dreary little
>>>town somewhere up north, doesn't he?)[2]

I want to know about the where this FAQ of his is. I imagine where it is
explained in it. etc, etc, etc.

>> You have to earn your sergeant's stripes first. N00bie.
>
>can I steal them instead?

No. Huffman's supply has run out.

>>>If you can make large amounts of other peoples money disappear sooper
>>>fast we'll make you an honourary IT conslutant on Accountant ;)
>> xxx
>>>
>> I grab teh money both ways (or I used to). I'm an equal opportunity
>> worker. So what do you do n00bie ?
>
>I am, due to bad karma in a previous life I suspect, a Unix Sysadmin

You poor soul.

>> I thought 'sluts' were normally female, James. I refer you Br d Metrin
>> our resident cross gender expert if you're confused.
>
>Will there be diagrams?

He may bring some back with him after his dirty weekend.

--
Tom