Updated Router, cannot connect to router or modem now

bockrathj

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
My Linksys WRT54GT has been giving me occasional drops of wireless signal (daily, every other day) so I updated the firmware through the Linksys website and reset the router per their instructions. Unfortunately it reset everything where i can not connect directly or wirelessly. I have tried connecting directly to the DSL modem, however I am getting the "Local Area Connection" does not have a valid IP Configuration. Prior to the reset of the router, my desktop had no issues connecting to it via LAN. Any suggestions for connecting? Thanks in advance.

Are you saying the default IP of the router does not get you to the setup page?

From a PC connected to the router, do an "ipconfig" command from a dos prompt, do you get the 192.168.1.x IP on the computer?

A computer on the DSL model directly should be able to get online, did you reboot the computer after connecting it? Are all the settings at defaults, no MAC filtering or static IP?

That model router does have issues with wireless at times, you may just want to replace it. The LAN ports work fine, but the wireless starts to drop out, same thing happened to mine, that exact model.