Jealousy or Smart strategy?

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

rmarkoff@yahoo.com (Røbert M) wrote:
> Verizon has said it would not wholesale out
> its Network like Sprint has.

I think that with 35 million customers, Verizon couldn't afford to
wholesale out its network for fear of overloading its towers. ;)

Seriously, I think Sprint is doing okay... more income from agreements
with Virgin Mobile (and possibly the new AT&T wireless) means more
revenue for Sprint, and possibly better service and lower prices for us.
Verizon already has a prepaid service in FreeUp, whereas Sprint does not
have one (unless mywireless is still active in some parts of the
country). Therefore, like with Virgin Mobile in select Sprint stores,
Sprint can market one of its partners as its choice prepaid service.

Eric

Røbert M wrote:
> Verizon has said it would not wholesale out its Network like Sprint has.
>

> http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040524/telecoms_verizonwireless_1.html

Too much of a headache, I would imagine. Verizon's footprint has a lot
of intercarrier agreements to fill in areas where Verizon proper doesn't
sell service, and so they would either have to re-sell a vastly reduced
network to wholesalers, or probably re-negotiate roaming agreements to
include those wholesalers, increasing the the cost of those agreements
and lowering profits.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

In article <6664-40B23E4F-350@storefull-3231.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net (Eric) wrote:

> and possibly better service

That isnt going to happen, remember, they're outsourcing it to IBM who
has promised to cut costs and handle times.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

(Thomas T. Veldhouse) wrote:
> Don't forget QWest. They are not a small
> player in the Sprint network. I think they will
> bring a lot of revenue to Sprint PCS.

Yeah I did forget about QWest. Do you know if Sprint even operates "My
Wireless" prepaid anymore? I used to see it at my local wal-mart, but
haven't in quite sometime. It seems odd with Sprint being as large as
it is not to have their own brand of prepaid service out there... I
think Sprint is the largest carrier without their "own" prepaid service
plans. But then, that's probably why they partnered with Virgin Mobile
and carried VM's phones in select SPCS stores.

Eric

In article <10553-40B2602F-162@storefull-3235.bay.webtv.net>,
caperenewal@webtv.net says...
> (Thomas T. Veldhouse) wrote:
> > Don't forget QWest. They are not a small
> > player in the Sprint network. I think they will
> > bring a lot of revenue to Sprint PCS.
>
> Yeah I did forget about QWest. Do you know if Sprint even operates "My
> Wireless" prepaid anymore? I used to see it at my local wal-mart, but
> haven't in quite sometime. It seems odd with Sprint being as large as
> it is not to have their own brand of prepaid service out there... I
> think Sprint is the largest carrier without their "own" prepaid service
> plans. But then, that's probably why they partnered with Virgin Mobile
> and carried VM's phones in select SPCS stores.
>
> Eric

In short, no. I may be oversimplifying, but VM basically *is* our
prepaid service.

--
RØß
O/Siris