Tough Disk Partition

kahchye

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003
Hi, I've got a 512 DDR Ram, 60 gb maxtor hardisk, operating on a dual OS system (XP & 98SE). I've decided to give XP a 15gb, and 98 another 15 gb, and the rest between data storage and windows virtual memory. My question is, how much should i allocate for windows virtual memory, both XP and 98SE? Can they share the same allocated hard disk space? thanks!

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Allocate? You can simply leave the default setting for virtual memory management in both OSs. If you had a second harddrive you might want to put the virtual memory on there, but you only have one, so it doesn't matter what you do with it.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

kahchye

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003
I was thinking of allocating a drive specifically for virtual memory, so that i wouldn't have to defrag the main one frequently.

Eg.

C: windows 98SE
D: windows XP
E: Storage files
F: Virtual Memory for 98 & XP

How much should i allocate for F?

I'm for the UNDERDOGS!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Why do you need to allocate at all?

im running win2k with 512mb ram and 2 x 80Gb drives.
my OS partition is 5Gb, and ive just left the swapfile at the start of that partition as a fixed 768mb size.

If you have 512Mb ram most of the time the swapfile wont be used! Its rare for me to actually use up my 512Mb unless im doing extensive gaming or heavy audio editing.

So having a seperate partition for the swapfile is pretty pointless.

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.