Treo 600 - a viable Blackberry replacement?

June 15, 2004 11:32:38 PM

My boss has a Sprint phone/palm combination and a blackberry (since the
Sprint could not use his existing Earthlink email account). He is looking
at the Treo 600 (since it indicates that it works with multiple email
accounts, so it can presumably handle his Earthlink account), but is
wondering whether there is anything substantial Blackberry feature that the
Treo lacks.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 11:32:39 PM

Runs fine for a person here. No problems of note on AT&T system.
Otherwise, keep in mind that battery dead = 100% wipe of system, and
that battery life is far shorter. Plus of anywhere web access is a
bonus, as is expanded palm software support.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:31:57 AM

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:32:38 GMT, "VBM" <v.mcalister@nospam.ejgd.com>
wrote:

>My boss has a Sprint phone/palm combination and a blackberry (since the
>Sprint could not use his existing Earthlink email account). He is looking
>at the Treo 600 (since it indicates that it works with multiple email
>accounts, so it can presumably handle his Earthlink account), but is
>wondering whether there is anything substantial Blackberry feature that the
>Treo lacks.

The Treo is grand... but SprintPCS really lacks. I'd go with a carrier
which has true SMS.

My (unlocked, got it used en Canada) Tungsten W connects via T-Mobile, and
T-Mobile has filters which watch my e-mail and SMS me when there's e-mail.
Not the real thing compared to Good Technology or RIM's Blackberry
software, but then I don't have to have a dedicated server to do it,
either.

Were I you, I would consider T-Mobile. If they are not avialable, learn
EXACTLY what you want it to do by studying the Blackberry's capabilities,
then ask the Sprint Business rep in writing how a Treo from Sprint will do
what you need done. Then, make those features a Condition of Sale (so they
can't wriggle out from under you and stick you with a contract if they
don't deliver).

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.

In article <q9Izc.1449$w07.1295@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, "VBM"
<v.mcalister@nospam.ejgd.com> wrote:

> My boss has a Sprint phone/palm combination and a blackberry (since the
> Sprint could not use his existing Earthlink email account). He is looking
> at the Treo 600 (since it indicates that it works with multiple email
> accounts, so it can presumably handle his Earthlink account), but is
> wondering whether there is anything substantial Blackberry feature that the
> Treo lacks.

Basically, no. The Blackberry's advantages have been at least matched by
Palm devices. Also, note that PalmSource is doing business with RIM and so
Blackberry functionality will be found in Palm OS devices at some point.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 7:54:02 PM

Thanks guys for your input! I will pass this on to my boss so he can
decide.

One factor is that he does want to use Sprint since his family is on some
type of plan that works well for all of them. Hopefully, that will not be a
problem if he decides to go for it.

Thanks again!

!