PRL 10024 coming soon

Last response: in Network Providers
May 24, 2004 10:53:40 PM

Look for PRL 10024 to be available OTA within the next couple of
weeks. It will prioritize digital roaming over analog roaming in some
additional markets.

More about : prl 10024 coming

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 6:12:42 AM

"Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Look for PRL 10024 to be available OTA within the next couple of
> weeks. It will prioritize digital roaming over analog roaming in some
> additional markets.

That's great to hear Larry. Ask your sources if they can provide what main
markets it will apply for.

Bob
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 6:12:43 AM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<uYxsc.9140$be.4706@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Look for PRL 10024 to be available OTA within the next couple of
> > weeks. It will prioritize digital roaming over analog roaming in some
> > additional markets.
>
> That's great to hear Larry. Ask your sources if they can provide what main
> markets it will apply for.
>
> Bob

Yeah I'll try and find out the scoop. I know that it will also add
roaming capabilities in Australia and Isreal if that's of any
importance to anyone.
May 27, 2004 4:36:12 AM

larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0405242313.5c13f7fd@posting.google.com>...
> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<uYxsc.9140$be.4706@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> > "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Look for PRL 10024 to be available OTA within the next couple of
> > > weeks. It will prioritize digital roaming over analog roaming in some
> > > additional markets.
> >
> > That's great to hear Larry. Ask your sources if they can provide what main
> > markets it will apply for.
> >
> > Bob
>

> Yeah I'll try and find out the scoop. I know that it will also add
> roaming capabilities in Australia and Isreal if that's of any
> importance to anyone.

Update. PRL 10024 is out but is not yet available as an OTA update (as
of yesterday 5/26).
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 5:34:16 PM

larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0405262336.e9a6a09@posting.google.com>...
> larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0405242313.5c13f7fd@posting.google.com>...
> > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<uYxsc.9140$be.4706@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> > > "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > That's great to hear Larry. Ask your sources if they can provide what main
> > > markets it will apply for.
> > >
> > > Bob
> >

> > Yeah I'll try and find out the scoop. I know that it will also add
> > roaming capabilities in Australia and Isreal if that's of any
> > importance to anyone.
>
> Update. PRL 10024 is out but is not yet available as an OTA update (as
> of yesterday 5/26).

Ok it's now available both in store and OTA. I just called in and got
it. No wait time, no hassle.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:19:21 AM

"Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snipped>
> Ok it's now available both in store and OTA. I just called in and got
> it. No wait time, no hassle.

Yea, I had to call in to get all three lines flagged. The rep said no
problem, and while he was in the processing the flagging of the phones,
asked me whether I was aware of what this new upgrade was for. I said for
digital roaming ... he said absolutely, and mentioned the only reason he
asked is that there was a misconception that it would improve coverage in
SPCS covered areas.

One thing that this new PRL will do in addition, I suspect, is also to
extend the battery life (compared to analog ), while in an area roaming.

Bob
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:38:42 AM

My 4 phones are on a F&C America plan and had PRL 10023. It's 9:30pm PT
and I just called *2 from phones 1 and 2, and after pressing 1 for
English, Claire told me she had a free update for me and I waited a
minute while it was installed. I never had to speak to a rep nor ask to
have my phones flagged. Maybe F&CA phones get flagged automatically -
an extra benefit for our $5/month!.

The Samsung A620 (VGA1000) said I had PRL 00999 until I powered it off
and on. Now Menu-8-0-scroll down shows 10024.
On the Sanyo 8100, Menu-#-3 shows 10024.

May 28, 2004 4:11:27 AM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<tXstc.12955$Tn6.1843@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <snipped>
> > Ok it's now available both in store and OTA. I just called in and got
> > it. No wait time, no hassle.
>
> Yea, I had to call in to get all three lines flagged. The rep said no
> problem, and while he was in the processing the flagging of the phones,
> asked me whether I was aware of what this new upgrade was for. I said for
> digital roaming ... he said absolutely, and mentioned the only reason he
> asked is that there was a misconception that it would improve coverage in
> SPCS covered areas.
>
> One thing that this new PRL will do in addition, I suspect, is also to
> extend the battery life (compared to analog ), while in an area roaming.
>
> Bob

Still waiting to hear from my source about anything specific the
update did. Maybe tomorrow.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 12:25:24 PM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<tXstc.12955$Tn6.1843@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <snipped>
> > Ok it's now available both in store and OTA. I just called in and got
> > it. No wait time, no hassle.
>
> Yea, I had to call in to get all three lines flagged. The rep said no
> problem, and while he was in the processing the flagging of the phones,
> asked me whether I was aware of what this new upgrade was for. I said for
> digital roaming ... he said absolutely, and mentioned the only reason he
> asked is that there was a misconception that it would improve coverage in
> SPCS covered areas.
>
> One thing that this new PRL will do in addition, I suspect, is also to
> extend the battery life (compared to analog ), while in an area roaming.
>
> Bob

Are you sure that this adds coverage to Australia? I called the
international roaming department several times and they keep saying
that you need a GSM phone for Australia. Although I have been there
several times and recieve a full signal, but could never place or
receive any calls.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 7:27:22 PM

In article <9b123e9b.0405280725.21b47898@posting.google.com>,
google@lafredo.com (kjl) wrote:

> Are you sure that this adds coverage to Australia? I called the
> international roaming department several times and they keep saying
> that you need a GSM phone for Australia. Although I have been there
> several times and recieve a full signal, but could never place or
> receive any calls.

You sure you WANT to roam with a SprintPCS phone at $4/minute to call
back to the States?
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 7:54:08 PM

"kjl" <google@lafredo.com> wrote in message
> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > <snipped>
> > > Ok it's now available both in store and OTA. I just called in and got
> > > it. No wait time, no hassle.
> >
> > Yea, I had to call in to get all three lines flagged. The rep said no
> > problem, and while he was in the processing the flagging of the phones,
> > asked me whether I was aware of what this new upgrade was for. I said
for
> > digital roaming ... he said absolutely, and mentioned the only reason he
> > asked is that there was a misconception that it would improve coverage
in
> > SPCS covered areas.
> >
> > One thing that this new PRL will do in addition, I suspect, is also to
> > extend the battery life (compared to analog ), while in an area roaming.
> >
> > Bob
>
> Are you sure that this adds coverage to Australia? I called the
> international roaming department several times and they keep saying
> that you need a GSM phone for Australia. Although I have been there
> several times and recieve a full signal, but could never place or
> receive any calls.

Per the following link http://tinyurl.com/3a7p6 , it shows SPCS having
roaming agreements in place with a GSM carrier, at a cost of $1.50/min ...
with LD included.

As to you having a full signal, there is some CDMA coverage down there, but
I suspect if this new PRL now does including roaming on a CDMA down under,
there were no roaming agreements in place when you were there, and at this
time, they haven't updated their international roaming web pages yet.

Bob
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 11:57:19 PM

larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0405262336.e9a6a09@posting.google.com>...

> Update. PRL 10024 is out but is not yet available as an OTA update (as
> of yesterday 5/26).

Would someone be so kind as to extract & post the raw contents of PRL
10024?

But a momentary glance is all that would be needed to determine
definitively if Qwest SID 5461 has indeed been removed from NEG
designation & increased in priority.

Additionally, regarding changes in CDMA 800 digital roaming priority,
for any given roaming SID, prioritization of ACQ INDEX 37 over ACQ
INDEX 4 will indicate prioritization of CDMA 800 over AMPS.

Below are relevant portions of the Acquisition Table from PRL 10023
followed by a brief set of primers from my empirical deductions.

INDEX ACQ TYPE CH1
4 1 Both
27 1 A
28 1 B

ACQ TYPE 1 is AMPS. As such, only ACQ INDEX 4, 27, or 28 will
prioritize AMPS. Search for AMPS ACCs will be confined to the
Cellular A-side (313-333), B-side (334-354), or both.

INDEX ACQ TYPE CH1
35 4 A
36 4 B
37 4 Both

ACQ TYPE 4 is CDMA 800. Thus, only ACQ INDEX 35, 36, or 37 will
prioritize CDMA 800. Search for CDMA 800 carrier channels will be
confined to the A-side (CEL 283 & CEL 691), B-side (CEL 384 & CEL
777), or both.

INDEX ACQ TYPE CH1
29 5 A
30 5 B
31 5 C
32 5 D
33 5 E
34 5 F

ACQ TYPE 5 is CDMA 1900. As one of two such types, ACQ INDEX 29, 30,
31, 32, 33, or 34 will prioritize CDMA 1900. Search for CDMA 1900
carrier channels will be confined the valid default ARFCN center
frequencies w/in the specified PCS A, B, C, D, E, or F license.

INDEX ACQ TYPE CH1 CH2 CH3 CH4
1 6 575 625 500 425

ACQ TYPE 6 is also CDMA 1900. ACQ TYPE 6 is the other type that will
prioritize CDMA 1900. All native Sprint PCS SIDs will be ACQ TYPE 6
in the PRL. Reproduced above is but one example, as ACQ TYPE 6 is
also the most varied, accounting for fully 34 of the 46 different ACQ
INDEX possibilities. Search for CDMA 1900 carrier channels will be
confined to the ARFCN center frequencies listed.

Andrew
--
Andrew Shepherd
cinema@ku.edu

cinema@ku.edu (Andrew Shepherd) wrote in message news:<33e89561.0405291857.1204af77@posting.google.com>...
> larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0405262336.e9a6a09@posting.google.com>...
> >
> > Update. PRL 10024 is out but is not yet available as an OTA update (as
> > of yesterday 5/26).
>
> Would someone be so kind as to extract & post the raw contents of PRL
> 10024?

See http://tinyurl.com/27ajd

Keith A.
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 7:46:31 PM

I haven't viewed this ng in the last couple of years. Good to see
that Bob is still around. I'm still with SPCS and generally happy.
Customer service has improved tremendously since my old rants.

Now to my questions:

I travelled from the San Francisco Bay Area up into Mendocino County.
I ended up roaming on U.S. Celluar while in Fort Bragg, CA. What I
found odd was that my clock never stopped functioning in Analog Roam.
My wife's phone (same model, same firmware, same PRL) did not do the
same. Her phone was typical for analog roaming--no clock function.
Why did mine work?

I also upgraded to PRL 10024 from PRL10018. Am I understanding this
correctly? Even if I force my handset into Analog Only, the new
digital priorities will force my phone onto the preferred digital
roaming? I tested this, and continued to see the "Analog" flag. A
test call sounded more like digital than analog, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Guido & Gloria
June 9, 2004 11:38:08 PM

It's quite normal for phones to keep the time when in analog (assuming
it had a Sprint signal first and wasn't power cycled while in roaming
mode). They have a memory function that keeps the time going until you
turn it off. If you turn it off when in analog mode and then back on
and it finds analog once again you will no longer have the time stored
in memory. At least this is how it works on some Sprint phones.

--
larry

Sprint user since 1997
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t122750.html
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 3:14:22 AM

"Gloria & Guido" <gfirenzi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D c589273.0406091446.11424cd5@posting.google.com...
> I haven't viewed this ng in the last couple of years. Good to see
> that Bob is still around. I'm still with SPCS and generally happy.
> Customer service has improved tremendously since my old rants.

Welcome back Guido ... :) .

> Now to my questions:
>
> I travelled from the San Francisco Bay Area up into Mendocino County.
> I ended up roaming on U.S. Celluar while in Fort Bragg, CA. What I
> found odd was that my clock never stopped functioning in Analog Roam.
> My wife's phone (same model, same firmware, same PRL) did not do the
> same. Her phone was typical for analog roaming--no clock function.
> Why did mine work?

Don't know why your phone would keep time while under analog. Which phone
models do you and the wifey have? Also are these dual mode or tri mode?

> I also upgraded to PRL 10024 from PRL10018. Am I understanding this
> correctly? Even if I force my handset into Analog Only, the new
> digital priorities will force my phone onto the preferred digital
> roaming? I tested this, and continued to see the "Analog" flag. A
> test call sounded more like digital than analog, but I'm not sure.
>
> Thanks,
> Guido & Gloria

What the PRL does, is tell the phone which system to use when out of SPCS's
coverage area, while under Automatic or Analog. I don't see why or how the
phone would switch to digital if you have selected analog only.

Bob
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 5:58:38 AM

For the A460, it will keep time even when switching to an analog network.
What I did find interesting was that when roaming near Mackinaw City, MI,
that after turning on the phone, it would always show me roaming with
analog, but it seemed to be able to still find the itme after 30-60 seconds.
The A460 is a tri-mode phone; my hypothesis is that even if the PRL favored
analog, it would listen for any digital signal and update the clock
accordingly.

Tom

!