PRL 10024 coming soon

Look for PRL 10024 to be available OTA within the next couple of
weeks. It will prioritize digital roaming over analog roaming in some
additional markets.
16 answers Last reply
More about 10024 coming soon

    "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Look for PRL 10024 to be available OTA within the next couple of
    > weeks. It will prioritize digital roaming over analog roaming in some
    > additional markets.

    That's great to hear Larry. Ask your sources if they can provide what main
    markets it will apply for.

    Bob

    "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<uYxsc.9140$be.4706@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Look for PRL 10024 to be available OTA within the next couple of
    > > weeks. It will prioritize digital roaming over analog roaming in some
    > > additional markets.
    >
    > That's great to hear Larry. Ask your sources if they can provide what main
    > markets it will apply for.
    >
    > Bob

    Yeah I'll try and find out the scoop. I know that it will also add
    roaming capabilities in Australia and Isreal if that's of any
    importance to anyone.

    larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0405242313.5c13f7fd@posting.google.com>...
    > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<uYxsc.9140$be.4706@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > > "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Look for PRL 10024 to be available OTA within the next couple of
    > > > weeks. It will prioritize digital roaming over analog roaming in some
    > > > additional markets.
    > >
    > > That's great to hear Larry. Ask your sources if they can provide what main
    > > markets it will apply for.
    > >
    > > Bob
    >

    > Yeah I'll try and find out the scoop. I know that it will also add
    > roaming capabilities in Australia and Isreal if that's of any
    > importance to anyone.

    Update. PRL 10024 is out but is not yet available as an OTA update (as
    of yesterday 5/26).

    larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0405262336.e9a6a09@posting.google.com>...
    > larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0405242313.5c13f7fd@posting.google.com>...
    > > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<uYxsc.9140$be.4706@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > > > "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > That's great to hear Larry. Ask your sources if they can provide what main
    > > > markets it will apply for.
    > > >
    > > > Bob
    > >

    > > Yeah I'll try and find out the scoop. I know that it will also add
    > > roaming capabilities in Australia and Isreal if that's of any
    > > importance to anyone.
    >
    > Update. PRL 10024 is out but is not yet available as an OTA update (as
    > of yesterday 5/26).

    Ok it's now available both in store and OTA. I just called in and got
    it. No wait time, no hassle.

    "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    <snipped>
    > Ok it's now available both in store and OTA. I just called in and got
    > it. No wait time, no hassle.

    Yea, I had to call in to get all three lines flagged. The rep said no
    problem, and while he was in the processing the flagging of the phones,
    asked me whether I was aware of what this new upgrade was for. I said for
    digital roaming ... he said absolutely, and mentioned the only reason he
    asked is that there was a misconception that it would improve coverage in
    SPCS covered areas.

    One thing that this new PRL will do in addition, I suspect, is also to
    extend the battery life (compared to analog ), while in an area roaming.

    Bob

    My 4 phones are on a F&C America plan and had PRL 10023. It's 9:30pm PT
    and I just called *2 from phones 1 and 2, and after pressing 1 for
    English, Claire told me she had a free update for me and I waited a
    minute while it was installed. I never had to speak to a rep nor ask to
    have my phones flagged. Maybe F&CA phones get flagged automatically -
    an extra benefit for our $5/month!.

    The Samsung A620 (VGA1000) said I had PRL 00999 until I powered it off
    and on. Now Menu-8-0-scroll down shows 10024.
    On the Sanyo 8100, Menu-#-3 shows 10024.

    "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<tXstc.12955$Tn6.1843@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > <snipped>
    > > Ok it's now available both in store and OTA. I just called in and got
    > > it. No wait time, no hassle.
    >
    > Yea, I had to call in to get all three lines flagged. The rep said no
    > problem, and while he was in the processing the flagging of the phones,
    > asked me whether I was aware of what this new upgrade was for. I said for
    > digital roaming ... he said absolutely, and mentioned the only reason he
    > asked is that there was a misconception that it would improve coverage in
    > SPCS covered areas.
    >
    > One thing that this new PRL will do in addition, I suspect, is also to
    > extend the battery life (compared to analog ), while in an area roaming.
    >
    > Bob

    Still waiting to hear from my source about anything specific the
    update did. Maybe tomorrow.

    "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<tXstc.12955$Tn6.1843@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > <snipped>
    > > Ok it's now available both in store and OTA. I just called in and got
    > > it. No wait time, no hassle.
    >
    > Yea, I had to call in to get all three lines flagged. The rep said no
    > problem, and while he was in the processing the flagging of the phones,
    > asked me whether I was aware of what this new upgrade was for. I said for
    > digital roaming ... he said absolutely, and mentioned the only reason he
    > asked is that there was a misconception that it would improve coverage in
    > SPCS covered areas.
    >
    > One thing that this new PRL will do in addition, I suspect, is also to
    > extend the battery life (compared to analog ), while in an area roaming.
    >
    > Bob

    Are you sure that this adds coverage to Australia? I called the
    international roaming department several times and they keep saying
    that you need a GSM phone for Australia. Although I have been there
    several times and recieve a full signal, but could never place or
    receive any calls.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    In article <9b123e9b.0405280725.21b47898@posting.google.com>,
    google@lafredo.com (kjl) wrote:

    > Are you sure that this adds coverage to Australia? I called the
    > international roaming department several times and they keep saying
    > that you need a GSM phone for Australia. Although I have been there
    > several times and recieve a full signal, but could never place or
    > receive any calls.

    You sure you WANT to roam with a SprintPCS phone at $4/minute to call
    back to the States?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "kjl" <google@lafredo.com> wrote in message
    > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > "Larry Thomas" <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > <snipped>
    > > > Ok it's now available both in store and OTA. I just called in and got
    > > > it. No wait time, no hassle.
    > >
    > > Yea, I had to call in to get all three lines flagged. The rep said no
    > > problem, and while he was in the processing the flagging of the phones,
    > > asked me whether I was aware of what this new upgrade was for. I said
    for
    > > digital roaming ... he said absolutely, and mentioned the only reason he
    > > asked is that there was a misconception that it would improve coverage
    in
    > > SPCS covered areas.
    > >
    > > One thing that this new PRL will do in addition, I suspect, is also to
    > > extend the battery life (compared to analog ), while in an area roaming.
    > >
    > > Bob
    >
    > Are you sure that this adds coverage to Australia? I called the
    > international roaming department several times and they keep saying
    > that you need a GSM phone for Australia. Although I have been there
    > several times and recieve a full signal, but could never place or
    > receive any calls.

    Per the following link http://tinyurl.com/3a7p6 , it shows SPCS having
    roaming agreements in place with a GSM carrier, at a cost of $1.50/min ...
    with LD included.

    As to you having a full signal, there is some CDMA coverage down there, but
    I suspect if this new PRL now does including roaming on a CDMA down under,
    there were no roaming agreements in place when you were there, and at this
    time, they haven't updated their international roaming web pages yet.

    Bob
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0405262336.e9a6a09@posting.google.com>...

    > Update. PRL 10024 is out but is not yet available as an OTA update (as
    > of yesterday 5/26).

    Would someone be so kind as to extract & post the raw contents of PRL
    10024?

    But a momentary glance is all that would be needed to determine
    definitively if Qwest SID 5461 has indeed been removed from NEG
    designation & increased in priority.

    Additionally, regarding changes in CDMA 800 digital roaming priority,
    for any given roaming SID, prioritization of ACQ INDEX 37 over ACQ
    INDEX 4 will indicate prioritization of CDMA 800 over AMPS.

    Below are relevant portions of the Acquisition Table from PRL 10023
    followed by a brief set of primers from my empirical deductions.

    INDEX ACQ TYPE CH1
    4 1 Both
    27 1 A
    28 1 B

    ACQ TYPE 1 is AMPS. As such, only ACQ INDEX 4, 27, or 28 will
    prioritize AMPS. Search for AMPS ACCs will be confined to the
    Cellular A-side (313-333), B-side (334-354), or both.

    INDEX ACQ TYPE CH1
    35 4 A
    36 4 B
    37 4 Both

    ACQ TYPE 4 is CDMA 800. Thus, only ACQ INDEX 35, 36, or 37 will
    prioritize CDMA 800. Search for CDMA 800 carrier channels will be
    confined to the A-side (CEL 283 & CEL 691), B-side (CEL 384 & CEL
    777), or both.

    INDEX ACQ TYPE CH1
    29 5 A
    30 5 B
    31 5 C
    32 5 D
    33 5 E
    34 5 F

    ACQ TYPE 5 is CDMA 1900. As one of two such types, ACQ INDEX 29, 30,
    31, 32, 33, or 34 will prioritize CDMA 1900. Search for CDMA 1900
    carrier channels will be confined the valid default ARFCN center
    frequencies w/in the specified PCS A, B, C, D, E, or F license.

    INDEX ACQ TYPE CH1 CH2 CH3 CH4
    1 6 575 625 500 425

    ACQ TYPE 6 is also CDMA 1900. ACQ TYPE 6 is the other type that will
    prioritize CDMA 1900. All native Sprint PCS SIDs will be ACQ TYPE 6
    in the PRL. Reproduced above is but one example, as ACQ TYPE 6 is
    also the most varied, accounting for fully 34 of the 46 different ACQ
    INDEX possibilities. Search for CDMA 1900 carrier channels will be
    confined to the ARFCN center frequencies listed.

    Andrew
    --
    Andrew Shepherd
    cinema@ku.edu

    cinema@ku.edu (Andrew Shepherd) wrote in message news:<33e89561.0405291857.1204af77@posting.google.com>...
    > larryt510@hotmail.com (Larry Thomas) wrote in message news:<9c02589b.0405262336.e9a6a09@posting.google.com>...
    > >
    > > Update. PRL 10024 is out but is not yet available as an OTA update (as
    > > of yesterday 5/26).
    >
    > Would someone be so kind as to extract & post the raw contents of PRL
    > 10024?

    See http://tinyurl.com/27ajd

    Keith A.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    I haven't viewed this ng in the last couple of years. Good to see
    that Bob is still around. I'm still with SPCS and generally happy.
    Customer service has improved tremendously since my old rants.

    Now to my questions:

    I travelled from the San Francisco Bay Area up into Mendocino County.
    I ended up roaming on U.S. Celluar while in Fort Bragg, CA. What I
    found odd was that my clock never stopped functioning in Analog Roam.
    My wife's phone (same model, same firmware, same PRL) did not do the
    same. Her phone was typical for analog roaming--no clock function.
    Why did mine work?

    I also upgraded to PRL 10024 from PRL10018. Am I understanding this
    correctly? Even if I force my handset into Analog Only, the new
    digital priorities will force my phone onto the preferred digital
    roaming? I tested this, and continued to see the "Analog" flag. A
    test call sounded more like digital than analog, but I'm not sure.

    Thanks,
    Guido & Gloria
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    It's quite normal for phones to keep the time when in analog (assuming
    it had a Sprint signal first and wasn't power cycled while in roaming
    mode). They have a memory function that keeps the time going until you
    turn it off. If you turn it off when in analog mode and then back on
    and it finds analog once again you will no longer have the time stored
    in memory. At least this is how it works on some Sprint phones.

    --
    larry

    Sprint user since 1997
    http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t122750.html
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Gloria & Guido" <gfirenzi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I haven't viewed this ng in the last couple of years. Good to see
    > that Bob is still around. I'm still with SPCS and generally happy.
    > Customer service has improved tremendously since my old rants.

    Welcome back Guido ... :).

    > Now to my questions:
    >
    > I travelled from the San Francisco Bay Area up into Mendocino County.
    > I ended up roaming on U.S. Celluar while in Fort Bragg, CA. What I
    > found odd was that my clock never stopped functioning in Analog Roam.
    > My wife's phone (same model, same firmware, same PRL) did not do the
    > same. Her phone was typical for analog roaming--no clock function.
    > Why did mine work?

    Don't know why your phone would keep time while under analog. Which phone
    models do you and the wifey have? Also are these dual mode or tri mode?

    > I also upgraded to PRL 10024 from PRL10018. Am I understanding this
    > correctly? Even if I force my handset into Analog Only, the new
    > digital priorities will force my phone onto the preferred digital
    > roaming? I tested this, and continued to see the "Analog" flag. A
    > test call sounded more like digital than analog, but I'm not sure.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Guido & Gloria

    What the PRL does, is tell the phone which system to use when out of SPCS's
    coverage area, while under Automatic or Analog. I don't see why or how the
    phone would switch to digital if you have selected analog only.

    Bob
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    For the A460, it will keep time even when switching to an analog network.
    What I did find interesting was that when roaming near Mackinaw City, MI,
    that after turning on the phone, it would always show me roaming with
    analog, but it seemed to be able to still find the itme after 30-60 seconds.
    The A460 is a tri-mode phone; my hypothesis is that even if the PRL favored
    analog, it would listen for any digital signal and update the clock
    accordingly.

    Tom
    "larry" <larry.17m0h2@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

    > It's quite normal for phones to keep the time when in analog (assuming
    > it had a Sprint signal first and wasn't power cycled while in roaming
    > mode). They have a memory function that keeps the time going until you
    > turn it off. If you turn it off when in analog mode and then back on
    > and it finds analog once again you will no longer have the time stored
    > in memory. At least this is how it works on some Sprint phones.
    >

    > --
    > larry
    >
    > Sprint user since 1997
    > http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: