tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
I'm trying to determine if I understand this-

I read the FAQ and believe it to say that ATA 133 has little advantage over ATA 100 because ATA 133 achieves its throughput advantage in data bursts, and quickly looses its advantage in sustained transfer. Right?

So, would it be safe to say that a good HDD with 8MB cache can achieve similar speeds to the ATA133- and this is perhaps another reason that ATA133 never caught on?

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---

So, would it be safe to say that a good HDD with 8MB cache can achieve similar speeds to the ATA133- and this is perhaps another reason that ATA133 never caught on?

Never Caught On??? I'm running ATA133, the last hardrive shopping venture I took every hardrive I looked at was ATA133, ATA133 was the next step up from ATA100, Where do you get, never caught on???

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

tuesday630

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
Maxtor holds the patent to ATA133. They want to license ATA133 to other hard disk manufacturers. They've been trying since 2001. So far, no other manufacturer has taken them up on it. Maxtor is still the only one who makes ATA133 hard disks. I'd say that qualifies for "not catching on."

Intel will move Serial ATA into its Springdale chipset. Once that happens, it's game over for any chance of ATA133 being taken up by other hard disk manufacturers.

---There may be more than one way to do it, but why would anyone want to remove the fur from a feline?---