Replacement Phone, and will it chane my plan?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 25, 2004 6:09:41 AM

I currently have a LG 5250, little over 2 yrs old. I don't use it much, but
lately it's been acting up a bit, the volume drops to almost nothing, ringer
& earpiece, it locks up where the only way to get it back is remove the
battery. So I went by a Sprint Store today to see what they suggest,
download new software, whatever. Guy disappeared for a few seconds and came
back and said it's out of warranty, you can buy a new one, you qualify for
the up to $150.00 with 2yr contract.

So now my question, if I opt for a new phone, I want a clamshell design. I
saw 2 or 3 at the store I like. Sanyo 8100, Motorola v60, or Samsung
vga1000. Opinions on these?

I guess the Samsung is a camera phone, if I get one of these new phones,
that are vision and/or picture, will I have to change my current $30/300 min
basic plan? If I can keep my plan, what will/will not work on a new phone?
I'm kinda leaning toward a camera phone, but what would I need to do get
pictures from the camera? USB? Or is a vision upgrade needed?

Thanks,
Sorry for basic questions, but I just buy my phone, toss in the truck, and
use it as needed. I don't keep upto date with all of Sprint's latest
technology.
Bryan
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 11:31:13 AM

"Bryan" <BryanW20@gbronline.com> wrote in message news:<CeGdneKAFc5VbS_dRVn-uw@gbronline.com>...
> I currently have a LG 5250, little over 2 yrs old. I don't use it much, but
> lately it's been acting up a bit, the volume drops to almost nothing, ringer
> & earpiece, it locks up where the only way to get it back is remove the
> battery. So I went by a Sprint Store today to see what they suggest,
> download new software, whatever. Guy disappeared for a few seconds and came
> back and said it's out of warranty, you can buy a new one, you qualify for
> the up to $150.00 with 2yr contract.
>
> So now my question, if I opt for a new phone, I want a clamshell design. I
> saw 2 or 3 at the store I like. Sanyo 8100, Motorola v60, or Samsung
> vga1000. Opinions on these?
>
> I guess the Samsung is a camera phone, if I get one of these new phones,
> that are vision and/or picture, will I have to change my current $30/300 min
> basic plan? If I can keep my plan, what will/will not work on a new phone?
> I'm kinda leaning toward a camera phone, but what would I need to do get
> pictures from the camera? USB? Or is a vision upgrade needed?
>
> Thanks,
> Sorry for basic questions, but I just buy my phone, toss in the truck, and
> use it as needed. I don't keep upto date with all of Sprint's latest
> technology.
> Bryan

I have had both vision and non vision phones on the 300/$30 plan--you
can add vision if you want to--as a matter of fact, when you talk to
sprint about the esn change, they will offer free vision for 2
months----I have had and removed vision from the account--if you get a
new phone, they will extend your contract--but if you buy a phone from
say ebay, there are no changes---unless you request some change--the
300/$30 plan is a great old plan. I have modified it slightly over
time, asked for and got 8pm N&W, and got pcs2pcs free for signing a 2
year contract---this was a no brainer, as I don't suspect that a lower
cost plan will be offered again--this is only my personel experience.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 11:43:04 AM

In article <CeGdneKAFc5VbS_dRVn-uw@gbronline.com>,
"Bryan" <BryanW20@gbronline.com> wrote:

> I currently have a LG 5250, little over 2 yrs old. I don't use it much, but
> lately it's been acting up a bit, the volume drops to almost nothing, ringer
> & earpiece, it locks up where the only way to get it back is remove the
> battery. So I went by a Sprint Store today to see what they suggest,
> download new software, whatever. Guy disappeared for a few seconds and came
> back and said it's out of warranty, you can buy a new one, you qualify for
> the up to $150.00 with 2yr contract.
>
> I guess the Samsung is a camera phone, if I get one of these new phones,
> that are vision and/or picture, will I have to change my current $30/300 min
> basic plan?

He's trying to get you a cheap/free phone by signing you up for a new
plan.

Notice those two important words: "new plan".

You can't renew your plan for 2 more years; you can only contract for
something that they offer today. So, you'd be looking at whatever plans
they sell right now. That may or may not include the plan you're on.
Or the plan terms might have changed. Read everything. But whatever
you read, make sure you understand that it's the plan they're offering
currently.

They cannot sell you a new contract based on your old plan, if your old
plan is no longer a product they sell.

You can buy a phone outright, if you like. It's no big deal.

Look: the only reason they're trying to get you into a contract is
because they think you don't want to spend serious money on a phone just
to service your existing plan. The store employees are brainwashed into
assuming, without asking, that you want a cheap/free phone--so they come
out of the gate with "we can get you this one cheap/free, just sign
here" and next thing you know you've signed up for a new contract for
whatever is the latest product they're offering.
May 25, 2004 4:33:24 PM

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 4:38:14 PM

Oops, forgot to post the rebate URL, so you can check it out yourself -
http://pcshandsetupgrade.sprint.com/

Bob

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message

<snipped>
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 4:40:02 PM

In article <elmop-190229.07430425052004@text.usenetserver.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> In article <CeGdneKAFc5VbS_dRVn-uw@gbronline.com>,
> "Bryan" <BryanW20@gbronline.com> wrote:
>
> > I currently have a LG 5250, little over 2 yrs old. I don't use it much, but
> > lately it's been acting up a bit, the volume drops to almost nothing, ringer
> > & earpiece, it locks up where the only way to get it back is remove the
> > battery. So I went by a Sprint Store today to see what they suggest,
> > download new software, whatever. Guy disappeared for a few seconds and came
> > back and said it's out of warranty, you can buy a new one, you qualify for
> > the up to $150.00 with 2yr contract.
> >
> > I guess the Samsung is a camera phone, if I get one of these new phones,
> > that are vision and/or picture, will I have to change my current $30/300 min
> > basic plan?
>
> He's trying to get you a cheap/free phone by signing you up for a new
> plan.
>
> Notice those two important words: "new plan".

What about "New for you"? Or is the rep just trying to get a commmission?

Or buying a refurb, or an eBay phone???

OR EVEN CONTACTING RETENTION ????

> You can't renew your plan for 2 more years

Absolutely he can ! ! !

> you can only contract for
> something that they offer today. So, you'd be looking at whatever plans
> they sell right now. That may or may not include the plan you're on.
> Or the plan terms might have changed. Read everything. But whatever
> you read, make sure you understand that it's the plan they're offering
> currently.
>
> They cannot sell you a new contract based on your old plan, if your old
> plan is no longer a product they sell.
>
> You can buy a phone outright, if you like. It's no big deal.
>
> Look: the only reason they're trying to get you into a contract is
> because they think you don't want to spend serious money on a phone just
> to service your existing plan. The store employees are brainwashed into
> assuming, without asking, that you want a cheap/free phone--so they come
> out of the gate with "we can get you this one cheap/free, just sign
> here" and next thing you know you've signed up for a new contract for
> whatever is the latest product they're offering.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 7:42:16 PM

> So now my question, if I opt for a new phone, I want a clamshell design. I
> saw 2 or 3 at the store I like. Sanyo 8100, Motorola v60, or Samsung
> vga1000. Opinions on these?

I've had my Samsung VGA1000 for about one year now, and have been
very satisfied with it. Sound clarity and volume are excellent. It feels
very sturdy, unlike some of the flimsy Motorola clamshells I've seen.
I've dropped it on the ground several times already, but it keeps right
on ticking.

--

John Richards
Anonymous

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:17:13 PM

In article <-8adnYbd8o3BqCnd4p2dnA@gbronline.com>,
"Bryan" <BryanW20@gbronline.com> wrote:

> Also to answer someone else's question about a diag. test, I do not believe
> they did anything but look up my account. He was gone for only maybe a min.,
> came back knowing my name and it was out if warrenty, and the cover was
> still on.

They'd rather sell you a phone and get a commission.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 1:22:57 PM

In article <-8adnYbd8o3BqCnd4p2dnA@gbronline.com>,
"Bryan" <BryanW20@gbronline.com> wrote:

> I still haven't taken the time to actually call Sprint, but from reading
> online to do practally anything but talk reqires a vision
> plan(option/upgrade). Ringers, games, etc apparently cost per download on
> top of the price paid to have vision, is that right? And only good for 3
> months? I hope that's wrong. And I guess if I were to get a camera phone,
> you have to pay something extra to get the pictures off the phone, weather
> in a $15 vision plan, or a $5 piucture plan. No option of USB, etc?

The rule now is that if you want the $150 rebate on a new Vision phone,
you must take Vision, 2 year contract and a plan of $35 or over. If you
have a $30 plan and $15 Vision, then you must keep the Vision for the
rebate to be valid.

To get around that.

- Buy a non Vision phone - only Nokia 3588i and Motorola V60v currently
offered. OR

- Buy a used phone on eBay (maybe a Sanyo RL2000 or RL2500 ) OR

- Call up Retention and let them talk you into staying a SprintPCS
customer. http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com has the phone #.

> I guess I have an option of doing a phone swap right? I guess called ESN
> change or something like that.

Luckily SprintPCS has stopped charging for that.

> So I could find a cheap ebay (other place)
> phone and swap it for my failing 5250? Any sugestions? I got the 5250 to
> replace a samsung 8500, that I thought was freaking out, but I think it was
> just a bad ciggarette lighter connection.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 5:39:45 PM

"Bryan" <BryanW20@gbronline.com> wrote in message

<snipped>

> I still haven't taken the time to actually call Sprint, but from reading
> online to do practally anything but talk reqires a vision
> plan(option/upgrade).

Not if you get a non Vision phone.

> Ringers, games, etc apparently cost per download on
> top of the price paid to have vision, is that right?

Yes, but if you have Vision, you get up to $10/mo. in credits applied to
downloads from SPCS's site.

> And only good for 3
> months?

Yes and no. Yes, that the download only stays in your Content folder for 3
months. No, that once you download it to your phone, it stays on your phone,
till you get tired of it and delete it.

I hope that's wrong. And I guess if I were to get a camera phone,
> you have to pay something extra to get the pictures off the phone, weather
> in a $15 vision plan, or a $5 piucture plan. No option of USB, etc?

To get pictures off your phone, you can email them to yourself, to anyone
else with an email address or just upload them to your picture vault. As for
doing USB, there are two main software companies that offer that -
www.susteen.com and www.futuredial.com . You need to see whether they
provide support for your current model, or the phone you are looking at
getting.

> I guess I have an option of doing a phone swap right? I guess called ESN
> change or something like that. So I could find a cheap ebay (other place)
> phone and swap it for my failing 5250? Any sugestions? I got the 5250 to
> replace a samsung 8500, that I thought was freaking out, but I think it
was
> just a bad ciggarette lighter connection.

Yes, you can do an ESN change. Before you do get a new or replacement phone,
I'd suggest you go back to the store and ask them to test out the phone. As
for suggestions on which model to get, it depends on what features you want.

Bob
May 26, 2004 6:06:07 PM

> "Bryan" <BryanW20@gbronline.com> wrote in message
>
> <snipped>
>>
>> I still haven't taken the time to actually call Sprint, but from
>> reading online to do practally anything but talk reqires a vision
>> plan(option/upgrade).
>
> Not if you get a non Vision phone.
>
>> Ringers, games, etc apparently cost per download on
>> top of the price paid to have vision, is that right?
>
> Yes, but if you have Vision, you get up to $10/mo. in credits applied
> to downloads from SPCS's site.
>
>> And only good for 3
>> months?
>
> Yes and no. Yes, that the download only stays in your Content folder
> for 3 months. No, that once you download it to your phone, it stays on
> your phone, till you get tired of it and delete it.
>
> I hope that's wrong. And I guess if I were to get a camera phone,
>> you have to pay something extra to get the pictures off the phone,
>> weather in a $15 vision plan, or a $5 piucture plan. No option of
>> USB, etc?
>
> To get pictures off your phone, you can email them to yourself, to
> anyone else with an email address or just upload them to your picture
> vault. As for doing USB, there are two main software companies that
> offer that - www.susteen.com and www.futuredial.com . You need to see
> whether they provide support for your current model, or the phone you
> are looking at getting.

You can not send pictures unless you apy at least 5 dollars a month
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 6:38:50 PM

"Me" <me@noopmm.com,> wrote in message
> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in
>

> > "Bryan" <BryanW20@gbronline.com> wrote in message
> >
> > <snipped>
> >>
> >> I still haven't taken the time to actually call Sprint, but from
> >> reading online to do practally anything but talk reqires a vision
> >> plan(option/upgrade).
> >
> > Not if you get a non Vision phone.
> >
> >> Ringers, games, etc apparently cost per download on
> >> top of the price paid to have vision, is that right?
> >
> > Yes, but if you have Vision, you get up to $10/mo. in credits applied
> > to downloads from SPCS's site.
> >
> >> And only good for 3
> >> months?
> >
> > Yes and no. Yes, that the download only stays in your Content folder
> > for 3 months. No, that once you download it to your phone, it stays on
> > your phone, till you get tired of it and delete it.
> >
> > I hope that's wrong. And I guess if I were to get a camera phone,
> >> you have to pay something extra to get the pictures off the phone,
> >> weather in a $15 vision plan, or a $5 piucture plan. No option of
> >> USB, etc?
> >
> > To get pictures off your phone, you can email them to yourself, to
> > anyone else with an email address or just upload them to your picture
> > vault. As for doing USB, there are two main software companies that
> > offer that - www.susteen.com and www.futuredial.com . You need to see
> > whether they provide support for your current model, or the phone you
> > are looking at getting.
> >
> You can not send pictures unless you apy at least 5 dollars a month

Did you read his whole question? He was talking about Vision, and then asked
"No option of USB, etc?" I answered both of his inquiries.

Bob
!