Linking Pro Tools LE

Last response: in Home Audio
January 31, 2005 3:57:52 PM

I want to link 2 pro tools digi 001 rigs together and use 1 transport to
record on both rigs at the same time. Is this possible?

More about : linking pro tools

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:35:57 PM

no.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 8:49:59 PM

can someone explain this to me. i've never heard that you can do this.
i thought that is the point of the rediculous prices of the hd systems.
February 1, 2005 1:04:03 AM

"Brantley Allen" <(remove)brantley@wentwoodstudios.com> wrote in message
> I want to link 2 pro tools digi 001 rigs together and use 1 transport to
> record on both rigs at the same time. Is this possible?

Yes, and in fact it's pretty easy using MIDI Machine control. Depending on
the computer, you can use a serial cable or MIDI interfaces to make the
computers talk to each other. Then you slave one system to the other with
SPDIF in and out.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

rudedogg wrote:

> can someone explain this to me.

Bob O just explained it to you.

> i've never heard that you can do this.
> i thought that is the point of the rediculous prices of the hd systems.

Someone who needs a large Caterpillar tractor understands why such a
machine costs a relative fortune. Someone who doesn't need such a
machine and has little idea what it can do often will fail to understand
why it costs so much. People are making livings using the high end of PT
rigs, and even the low end of PT rigs. Audio recorrding is not always a
hobby.

--
ha
Anonymous

> > i've never heard that you can do this.
> > i thought that is the point of the rediculous prices of the hd systems.
>
> Someone who needs a large Caterpillar tractor understands why such a
> machine costs a relative fortune. Someone who doesn't need such a
> machine and has little idea what it can do often will fail to understand
> why it costs so much. People are making livings using the high end of PT
> rigs, and even the low end of PT rigs. Audio recorrding is not always a
> hobby.

Oh please. You mean to say that the reason PT LE users are prevented from
having more than 18 channels of i/o and 32 voices is because they wouldn't
know what to do with more anyway? You've got crust.

About 3/4 of PT users would dump their Digidesign hardware in a heartbeat if
the software ran on 3rd party hardware, and rightly so.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:26:59 AM

Bob, thanks. I thought it was something like that, I just hadn't gotten a
chance to get 2 of them side by side.

My guitar player and I both have Digi001s and we were hoping to record to
both machine at the same time and then move tracks from one to the other for
mixing.

I had seen an article in Mix about a guy that used 2 Digi001s for playback
live. He slaved them together in case one went down then other would
continue running. I figured it could be done for recording, saving the cost
of an additional 8 channels via optical ADAT.

I appreciate the tip. I've seen some of your other posts and I thank you
for your expertise and taking the time for my question.

Brantley Allen
Wentwood Studios
972-523-0425
www.wentwoodstudios.com

"Bob Olhsson" <olh@hyperback.com> wrote in message
> "Brantley Allen" <(remove)brantley@wentwoodstudios.com> wrote in message
>> I want to link 2 pro tools digi 001 rigs together and use 1 transport to
>> record on both rigs at the same time. Is this possible?
>
> Yes, and in fact it's pretty easy using MIDI Machine control. Depending on
> the computer, you can use a serial cable or MIDI interfaces to make the
> computers talk to each other. Then you slave one system to the other with
> SPDIF in and out.
>
> --
> Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
> Mastering, Audio for Picture, Mix Evaluation and Quality Control
> Over 40 years making people sound better than they ever imagined!
> 615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

February 1, 2005 11:58:19 AM

Hank, I wonder why you waste so much energy on putting people down?
Maybe it is because unlike 25 years ago musicians when would bow down
to you with your 1" Studer 8 track like you were something special.
Nowdays a musician can buy their own machine and produce good results
without going to your temple to worship. I can imagine those old
sessions, you wagging your finger with a scowl at some poor sap paying
you $40 an hour to run 1" tape.

Your thin skinned bitterness and nastiness wears thin, if it were not
for the occasional burst of salient insight I would have put you on an
ignore list long long time ago.
February 1, 2005 3:58:56 PM

Hooking up two pro tools le rigs IS an appropriate topic for this
forum. He wasn't asking about how to wire up his buddy's bose speakers.
Bob Olhsson saw it as an opportunity to help someone.Who knows
somewhere down the line Mr Allen might seek Bob out to master his work,
like myself.
I find your condesending reply quite dissapointing. I thought you were
better than that, Scott.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 6:50:14 PM

In article <3pHLd.2448$Sx6.231708@read2.cgocable.net> nobody@home.com writes:

> Oh please. You mean to say that the reason PT LE users are prevented from
> having more than 18 channels of i/o and 32 voices is because they wouldn't
> know what to do with more anyway?

Why do you think he meant to say that? Digidesign is in business to
sell their high end ProTools systems. The do this by introducing
people to the concept with the LE systems at a lower cost.

> About 3/4 of PT users would dump their Digidesign hardware in a heartbeat if
> the software ran on 3rd party hardware, and rightly so.

I don't think that's true. Some portion of the users might drop their
Digidesign hardware if the industry leaned in a different direction,
but why do you think people go with Digidesign anyway? Because the
clients want it, and without clients, you don't stay in business.

Personal users, the intended customers for LE, don't have clients so
they can be much freer in their choices. You can get to the high
school prom just as well in a Toyota as in a Lincoln town car limo,
but how long do you think a limo agency that runs Toyotas driven by
fat, middle-aged out-of-work programmers could stay in business? You
gotta provide what the paying customers want.

February 1, 2005 9:05:07 PM

In article <41ff91b4$0$92306$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net> remove)brantley@wentwoodstudios.com writes:

> My guitar player and I both have Digi001s and we were hoping to record to
> both machine at the same time and then move tracks from one to the other for
> mixing.

Be careful about leakage. Time code is accurate enough for musical
synchronization, but since you have no way of synchronizing down to
the sample level, the two machines could get far enough apart in time
so that if the same source at close to the same level is present on a
track on both, you may get some comb filtering when you mix the
tracks. If you take care to put, for example, all the drums on one
machine, you should be OK.

February 1, 2005 9:07:36 PM

wow, i didn't mean to spark such debate. so despite the fact that i am
officially a novice now and wouldn't know what to do with an HD system
if it fell on my head, let me rephrase my question.

i haven't ever slaved anything off of spdif (not that it is difficult,
i just haven't done it), so i didn't understand how to do that. i
doubt this would work for my situation however cause i slave off of my
adat converter, so i have 16 tracks.

so, could i run 2 002Racks on 2 systems including 2 adat converters,
sync them with midi and spdif, for a total of 32 tracks i/o ?

the only reason i use protools, was because it was the first thing i
was taught how to use, and i got used to editing and tracking with it.
my band plans to record with other studios for their rooms, and it
seemed the easiest way to transfer files back and forth.

i've been working hard to learn as much as possible from groups like
this and other pro audio websites, and i do pretty damn well for
myself. i am not some 45 year old living out some teenage rockstar
dream with his 250k day job and backyard studio. i am 24 years old
working my ass off with a 50hour/week day job, 3 hours/day in the
practice room with my band and the rest of the time in my bedroom
studio teaching myself how to be a proficient engineer. here in san
diego it is hard to find studios that actually do internships, every
studio wants me to spend 10k to record my project with them so they can
teach me their api boards, and then i can come back and use it when i
have a paying client. well, i'll stick to the garage for now instead
of giving all those guys my hard earned money. if i wanted to spend
10-20k to learn how to record, i would to to recording school. (which
no one seems to give a damn about anyway)

and if any cares to listen to how novice my measly recordings are, you
can listen at http://www.purevolume.com/flyingdouglas.

steve
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 9:32:16 PM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:50:14 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article <znr1107264561k@trad>):

> In article <3pHLd.2448$Sx6.231708@read2.cgocable.net> nobody@home.com writes:
>
>> Oh please. You mean to say that the reason PT LE users are prevented from
>> having more than 18 channels of i/o and 32 voices is because they wouldn't
>> know what to do with more anyway?
>
> Why do you think he meant to say that? Digidesign is in business to
> sell their high end ProTools systems. The do this by introducing
> people to the concept with the LE systems at a lower cost.
>
>> About 3/4 of PT users would dump their Digidesign hardware in a heartbeat if
>> the software ran on 3rd party hardware, and rightly so.
>
> I don't think that's true. Some portion of the users might drop their
> Digidesign hardware if the industry leaned in a different direction,
> but why do you think people go with Digidesign anyway? Because the
> clients want it, and without clients, you don't stay in business.
>
> Personal users, the intended customers for LE, don't have clients so
> they can be much freer in their choices. You can get to the high
> school prom just as well in a Toyota as in a Lincoln town car limo,
> but how long do you think a limo agency that runs Toyotas driven by
> fat, middle-aged out-of-work programmers could stay in business? You
> gotta provide what the paying customers want.

Um, I'm a professional user and I run PTLE. I drive an Acura RSX.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 12:04:04 AM

rudedogg <steverude@gmail.com> wrote:
> can someone explain this to me. i've never heard that you can do this.
> i thought that is the point of the rediculous prices of the hd systems.

I think confusion is over how to do it. I don't believe one can set
two systems on one computer. But I believe Bob O. is talking about running
two parallel separate systems. I guess it only gets tricky when you
are trying to edit entire sections of the song as upposed to individual
tracks.

Rob R.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:52:58 AM

In article <dMmdnV02UcLijJ3fRVn-sQ@comcast.com> tyreeford@comcast.net writes:

> Um, I'm a professional user and I run PTLE. I drive an Acura RSX.

Well, just see if I ever go on a date with you!

"Professional user" covers a lot of ground. The kind I was talking
about was the kind who gets phone calls asking "Do you have ProTools?"
In your branch of the business, people for the most part don't need to
know what you use as long as you get the job done. It makes good sense
to use a tool that works for you and doesn't cost a lot of money, as
long as it doesn't cost you jobs.

February 2, 2005 12:27:31 PM

Thanks, I'll take care to find it. Of course, we will do some testing
before hitting the gas, but it's good to know about things like this in
advance.

We may not really need all the tracks simultaneously, but we were trying to
cover our bases. Drums will be first and we will try to use as few mics as
possible to start with and still get all the other tracks, at least as
scratch/timing tracks. I really prefer the "live with overdubs" approach,
hence trying to get as many tracks as possible.

Ba

> In article <41ff91b4$0$92306$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net>
> remove)brantley@wentwoodstudios.com writes:
>
>> My guitar player and I both have Digi001s and we were hoping to record to
>> both machine at the same time and then move tracks from one to the other
>> for
>> mixing.
>
> Be careful about leakage. Time code is accurate enough for musical
> synchronization, but since you have no way of synchronizing down to
> the sample level, the two machines could get far enough apart in time
> so that if the same source at close to the same level is present on a
> track on both, you may get some comb filtering when you mix the
> tracks. If you take care to put, for example, all the drums on one
> machine, you should be OK.

February 2, 2005 12:33:42 PM

That's exactly what I've thought about.

I know that the better the recording, the better the mastering process can
be. I've never had anything mastered by a professional, usually it's been
by the same guy that engineered and he just ran it through another
compressor to squish it more for more volume. That's NOT what I want or
particulary like.

I just may well be planning to inquire to Mr. Olhsson's rates in the future.

Brantley

"db" <deanbowlus@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hooking up two pro tools le rigs IS an appropriate topic for this
> forum. He wasn't asking about how to wire up his buddy's bose speakers.
> Bob Olhsson saw it as an opportunity to help someone.Who knows
> somewhere down the line Mr Allen might seek Bob out to master his work,
> like myself.
> I find your condesending reply quite dissapointing. I thought you were
> better than that, Scott.

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:03:15 PM

Yes, it is to run 2 parallel systems. After the recording, all tracks would
be imported to the session on one system for mixing.

Absolutely, if I could justify the expense for a higher end system, I would
certainly do it. I just don't generate that much income.

"Rob Reedijk" <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca> wrote in message
> rudedogg <steverude@gmail.com> wrote:
>> can someone explain this to me. i've never heard that you can do this.
>> i thought that is the point of the rediculous prices of the hd systems.
>
> I think confusion is over how to do it. I don't believe one can set
> two systems on one computer. But I believe Bob O. is talking about
> running
> two parallel separate systems. I guess it only gets tricky when you
> are trying to edit entire sections of the song as upposed to individual
> tracks.
>
> Rob R.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:32:47 PM

In article <1107310056.801802.75990@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> steverude@gmail.com writes:

> let me rephrase my question.
>
> i haven't ever slaved anything off of spdif (not that it is difficult,
> i just haven't done it)

First off, the only thing you can slave from S/PDIF, maybe, and I
don't believe that your ProTools system is even capable of this, is
word clock. It has nothing to do with synchronizing one group of eight
tracks with another group of eight tracks.

> so, could i run 2 002Racks on 2 systems including 2 adat converters,
> sync them with midi and spdif, for a total of 32 tracks i/o ?

You could run two separate systems, synchronizing them with MIDI time
code. That would start the "slave" system playing at the same time as
the "master" system.

> i've been working hard to learn as much as possible from groups like
> this and other pro audio websites, and i do pretty damn well for
> myself.

The best way to learn about a system is to study the manuals and
experiment. I know that's harder than asking a question, but often you
don't know how complex the answer to the question you're asking really
is, or how many different answers there could be depending on exactly
what you have and what you're trying to accomplish. A live tutor is
good, too. ProTools is so common these days that no matter where you
live, you should be able to find someone to come over for pizza, beer,
and a little ProTools tutoring.

February 2, 2005 1:32:48 PM

Word clock. That's the ticket!!! I know when you link via ADAT Optical you
have to set one unit as the master and the other as the slave. I will
probably have to do the same thing here. Nice point, Mike.

> In article <1107310056.801802.75990@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>
> steverude@gmail.com writes:
>
>> let me rephrase my question.
>>
>> i haven't ever slaved anything off of spdif (not that it is difficult,
>> i just haven't done it)
>
> First off, the only thing you can slave from S/PDIF, maybe, and I
> don't believe that your ProTools system is even capable of this, is
> word clock. It has nothing to do with synchronizing one group of eight
> tracks with another group of eight tracks.
>
>> so, could i run 2 002Racks on 2 systems including 2 adat converters,
>> sync them with midi and spdif, for a total of 32 tracks i/o ?
>
> You could run two separate systems, synchronizing them with MIDI time
> code. That would start the "slave" system playing at the same time as
> the "master" system.
>
>> i've been working hard to learn as much as possible from groups like
>> this and other pro audio websites, and i do pretty damn well for
>> myself.
>
> The best way to learn about a system is to study the manuals and
> experiment. I know that's harder than asking a question, but often you
> don't know how complex the answer to the question you're asking really
> is, or how many different answers there could be depending on exactly
> what you have and what you're trying to accomplish. A live tutor is
> good, too. ProTools is so common these days that no matter where you
> live, you should be able to find someone to come over for pizza, beer,
> and a little ProTools tutoring.

February 2, 2005 1:46:33 PM

i got a 74 p bass, and i wasn't even born then :)  sorry, my comments
weren't directed at you, it was more of a frustration that i am trying
to make due with what i have, and asking questions to a group that is
_sometimes_ so full of themselves that they post here just to insult
others for not knowing as much as them. i haven't been recording for
20 years, and i don't know all the nitty-gritty, i've worked hard to
learn from people as much as i can over the last 3 or 4 years i've been
doing this, and i can get a pretty good mix, but i just need some
clarification on certain things. i know a lot of people around here
that have really nice studios, and really nice day jobs. some of us
don't have that liberty and are barely scraping by trying to do this
for a living.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:56:30 PM

Couldn't the ADAT lightpipe output of 002B be routed to the ADAT
lightpipe input of 002A? Then you'd have 16 tracks in perfect sync.
Cheers, Rick.
P.S. to "Rudedogg"; you'll be shocked how fast you get from 25 yrs
old to 41. Remember this on your 41st birthday. :>) R.N.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:07:06 PM

Couldn't the ADAT lightpipe output of 002B be routed to the ADAT
lightpipe input of 002A? Then you'd have 16 tracks in perfect sync.
Cheers, Rick.
P.S. to "Rudedogg"; you'll be shocked how fast you get from 25 yrs
old to 41. Remember this on your 41st birthday. :>) R.N.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:07:15 PM

Couldn't the ADAT lightpipe output of 002B be routed to the ADAT
lightpipe input of 002A? Then you'd have 16 tracks in perfect sync.
Cheers, Rick.
P.S. to "Rudedogg"; you'll be shocked how fast you get from 25 yrs
old to 41. Remember this on your 41st birthday. :>) R.N.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:21:42 PM

Brantley Allen (remove) wrote:
> Word clock. That's the ticket!!! I know when you link via ADAT
Optical you
> have to set one unit as the master and the other as the slave. I
will
> probably have to do the same thing here. Nice point, Mike.

I think Bob Ohlsson was saying you need two kinds of sync. The
first is timecode/positional information, from midi interfaces between
your two computer systems. This generally tells the slave system
where in time to start playing from, but after that there can be drift
between the clocks in the two systems, so you need clock sync.

So the second kind of sync would be to lock the Clock/sampling
rate of one system to the other, with your slave system's spidif input
slaving to your master systems digital spdif out. You could input
onto a pair of aux tracks the 2 bus mix from the slave system into your
master system at the same time, the caveat being that you cannot use
"bounce to disk" at mixdown unless you dump the submix off to a couple
of tracks first.

Also Cubase and Nuendo have a "Systemlink" function, which sends
timecode AND clock sync both over a spdif connection between two
computer systems, this is meant as a way of expanding computer
processing power. I think the newer versions of Protools software have
some kind of ethernet networking function to compete with that, as I
understand it,

Good luck.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News Channel / M-AES
February 2, 2005 6:52:10 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> I don't follow musical instrument groups. Do people ask "what guitar
> should I buy to get a warm sound?"

You bet they do, paraphraselly. <g> How many folks come in here asking
what guitar they need to get so-and-so's sound. Invariably they get told
they need so-and-so's hands.

"What guitar does Rick Ruskin use? I want to sound just ike that." Yeah,
buddy.

--
ha
Anonymous

hank alrich from the land of walkinay@thegrid.net wrote:

> "What guitar does Rick Ruskin use? I want to sound just ike that." Yeah,
> buddy.

Yeah, and what kind of strings? What gauge? What's the fretboard
material? What kind of pick? Is it spruce or cedar for the top? How
about the sides - mahogany or sapele or rosewood? It really is just as
detailed as the questions here, and misses the point by as wide a mile.

Carlos
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:48:22 PM

Brantley Allen (remove) wrote:

> I didn't mean to set off the flame war.

You didn't. It is constantly smoldering,
waiting for the least little spark to set it off.

rd
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 4:39:27 AM

Man, some goofy stuff is going on when I post through Google! Sorry
for the multiposts, Rick.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:43:41 AM

> Yes, it is to run 2 parallel systems. After the recording, all tracks
would
> be imported to the session on one system for mixing.

Exactly.

PTle is far less crippled than their advertising would have one believe. We
used to lock up three or four Pro Tools 3 and 4 systems in order to mix
films. It works surprisingly well. We used serial cables between them and
each computer thought the other was a MIDI interface. I haven't tried this
with USB.

There is a tiny bit of slop so some kind of a pop recorded at the beginning
of each take is a good idea so you can nudge it a few samples to put it on
the money.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 9:53:49 AM

"WillStG" <willstg@aol.com> wrote in message
> So the second kind of sync would be to lock the Clock/sampling
> rate of one system to the other, with your slave system's spidif input
> slaving to your master systems digital spdif out. You could input
> onto a pair of aux tracks the 2 bus mix from the slave system into your
> master system at the same time, the caveat being that you cannot use
> "bounce to disk" at mixdown unless you dump the submix off to a couple
> of tracks first.

This was what I had in mind. I've never tried locking up to the ADAT
connection but I suppose it should also work.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com
February 6, 2005 12:03:23 PM

> Scott and Hank are saying we aren't here to teach. We're here to
discuss.
> Those that can will learn from the discussion. <<

Not so much in regards to Scott, but more so to Hank, ..Why even
respond when the original poster is asking a question? Hank was
infuriated that a follow up question was asked regarding hooking up 2
pro tools rigs. And you can see by the numerous posts that it has
generated a lot of technical information as to different ways to do it,
benefitting many people. Discussion.

If not to teach when asked, at least have common decency to ignore
it.
It was an appropriate question and an appropriate follow up question in
this usenet group.

I can understand the bitterness of many old school engineers, I am sure
it was the toughest and most thankless job in the best of times. There
was a level of craftsmanship and technical knowledge then that is not
required nowadays for a musician to produce a very good product.... But
maybe for an excellently produced product, such as high end Mastering.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 4:48:29 PM

Roger W. Norman wrote:
> That's because some people EXPECT others here to help...

What is?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:06:45 AM

db wrote:

> I think you kind of proved my point about crassness. LOL. I'd back off
> the alcohol or increase the meds....

Obviously, you haven't read many of Roger's posts here.

> Listen: I don't think it is an old school new school thing. I think it
> is there are tools that allow musicians, not all ...but some willing to
> take some time to learn, produce excellent products.

<snipitty doo dah>

You keep acting as if you're special and different from most RAPsters
because you're "a musician". I can't imagine you holding that attitude
if you've been reading here very long. It's groovy you've been playing
twenty years. I started on guitar in 1959.

I don't have time to bore the rest of the group by retelling how I came
to this work, but it's Googleable. Much of it can be found in a post you
could find from this info:

*Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
*Subject: Re: Recommend a ~$400 2-channel tube mic-preamp?
*From: walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
*Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:33:33 -0800

Off the top of my head, Harvey Gerst, besides being Pope of the Church
of the Devine Backbeat and Manager of the Exalted Radio Kings Choir, is
a musician of some repute. That, too, is Googleable. We have Mike
Rivers, Dave Martin, Roger Norman, Will Miho, Tommy B, Allen Kaatz and
along list of others who have been posting here for a goodly while who
happen to be musicians.

Most people here know very well what modern gear can do. Some of them
also have a solid grasp of the potential of older gear. They also know
what it can take to learn how to do good work, and what a difference a
truly good room can make. Much of this is never going to be bought over
the counter from Guitar Center or any other gear pimp.

<snipitty yay>

--
ha
Anonymous

Thanks for the inclusion of such an august group, but alas, I'm pretty much
no longer a practicing musician because of my wrists and now my shoulders.
Agent Orange is Uncle Sam's gift that keeps on giving. I still play piano
somewhat, though. Does that count? <g>

I think being a musician is a major boon to producing, and in somewhat of a
lesser guise, to being an engineer, although I know engineers that do the
job amazingly yet don't play. On the other hand, someone like Gantt Kushner
is an amazing musician who does a fantastic job at recording, as does John
Vengrouskie. So while I don't see being a musician as a requirement for
good engineering, I can't see how it could hurt, UNLESS one places their own
musical abilities in the way of making a good recording of a client's music,
and that's where some of the other sensibilities come in. While I've got
one client who's voice isn't strong and his performance is all wrong,
there's something about him that people just plain like, so other than
making some suggestions to him about going to a vocal coach, I'm not going
to touch changing his presentation. So while I wince, people applaud, and
the audience is more important.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

> db wrote:
>
> > I think you kind of proved my point about crassness. LOL. I'd back off
> > the alcohol or increase the meds....
>
> Obviously, you haven't read many of Roger's posts here.
>
> > Listen: I don't think it is an old school new school thing. I think it
> > is there are tools that allow musicians, not all ...but some willing to
> > take some time to learn, produce excellent products.
>
> <snipitty doo dah>
>
> You keep acting as if you're special and different from most RAPsters
> because you're "a musician". I can't imagine you holding that attitude
> if you've been reading here very long. It's groovy you've been playing
> twenty years. I started on guitar in 1959.
>
> I don't have time to bore the rest of the group by retelling how I came
> to this work, but it's Googleable. Much of it can be found in a post you
> could find from this info:
>
> *Newsgroups: rec.audio.pro
> *Subject: Re: Recommend a ~$400 2-channel tube mic-preamp?
> *From: walkinay@thegrid.net (hank alrich)
> *Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 21:33:33 -0800
>
> Off the top of my head, Harvey Gerst, besides being Pope of the Church
> of the Devine Backbeat and Manager of the Exalted Radio Kings Choir, is
> a musician of some repute. That, too, is Googleable. We have Mike
> Rivers, Dave Martin, Roger Norman, Will Miho, Tommy B, Allen Kaatz and
> along list of others who have been posting here for a goodly while who
> happen to be musicians.
>
> Most people here know very well what modern gear can do. Some of them
> also have a solid grasp of the potential of older gear. They also know
> what it can take to learn how to do good work, and what a difference a
> truly good room can make. Much of this is never going to be bought over
> the counter from Guitar Center or any other gear pimp.
>
> <snipitty yay>
>
> --
> ha
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:03:51 PM

Roger W. Norman wrote:
> Hey Bob, read what I was posting in reply too! <g>

Yeah, that works if I haven't already read it but quite
often I have. "Next" takes me to your unread reply and very
often all I can say is "huh?" without going back to reread
whatever you are responding to. If you are at all
interested in being read rather than just in writing, it
might be a good idea to make that something we want to do.

Really, if you care not a whit about the reader why should
one care what you have written?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein