Firmware upgrade follies at Sprint store!

Thought I'd pass this along just for giggles. Yesterday, at a local
Sprint store, I asked the technician what had been updated from the
WG09 firmware besides the external LCD backlight activation. He
didn't know anything about an update, but after several minutes came
back with a printout of changes. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand
much of his "English," and when I tried to peak at the paper, he
quickly snatched it away saying, "You can't see that!" Anyway, the
other "improvements" evidently had something to do with missed or lost
call logging, the addition of The Weather Channel (?), and a new
PacMan game. That is, if I understood anything he said correctly! He
told me it would take 45 minutes, so I left the phone and returned in
an hour. The same firmware was there, and as best I can tell, NOTHING
had been done! Not having another hour to kill, I decided to postpone
the battle for another day – and another Sprint store. However, now
that I've thought about it some more, maybe I won't bother. You know
- if it ain't broke – don't fix it! Maybe I was lucky they didn't
fool with it after all! Has anyone else had their software updated?
7 answers Last reply
More about firmware upgrade follies sprint store

    (Turtleman) wrote:
    > Unfortunately, I couldn't understand much of
    > his "English," and when I tried to peak at the
    > paper, he quickly snatched it away saying,
    > "You can't see that!"

    That's LOL. I'm surprised he didn't then call you a "nosey posey".

    Eric

    Turtleman <terrapin@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Thought I'd pass this along just for giggles. Yesterday, at a local
    > Sprint store, I asked the technician what had been updated from the
    > WG09 firmware besides the external LCD backlight activation. He
    > didn't know anything about an update, but after several minutes came

    What phone is WG09 for? I noticed that my 680 seems to leave the
    external LCD lit bright for the entire duration that the charge is
    hooked up (usually overnight). That can't be good for the lifespan of
    the LDC. I was hoping you would say it is for the 680. sprintpcsinfo
    doesn't show any new firmware available though.

    --

    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com has a place to rate the store you visited.

    "Turtleman" <terrapin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thought I'd pass this along just for giggles. Yesterday, at a local
    > Sprint store, I asked the technician what had been updated from the
    > WG09 firmware besides the external LCD backlight activation. He
    > didn't know anything about an update, but after several minutes came
    > back with a printout of changes. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand
    > much of his "English," and when I tried to peak at the paper, he
    > quickly snatched it away saying, "You can't see that!" Anyway, the
    > other "improvements" evidently had something to do with missed or lost
    > call logging, the addition of The Weather Channel (?), and a new
    > PacMan game. That is, if I understood anything he said correctly! He
    > told me it would take 45 minutes, so I left the phone and returned in
    > an hour. The same firmware was there, and as best I can tell, NOTHING
    > had been done! Not having another hour to kill, I decided to postpone
    > the battle for another day – and another Sprint store. However, now
    > that I've thought about it some more, maybe I won't bother. You know
    > - if it ain't broke – don't fix it! Maybe I was lucky they didn't
    > fool with it after all! Has anyone else had their software updated?

    Sure, lots of times, for each of the prior SPCS handsets that firmware
    upgrades were available. What phone model do you have? And what was the new
    firmware version that was suppose to be installed? Lastly, which store did
    you go to?

    I have one other question. Did you reboot the phone, i.e.: turn it off, and
    then turn it back on to check versions?

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:40b3510d$0$171$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...
    > Turtleman <terrapin@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> Thought I'd pass this along just for giggles. Yesterday, at a local
    >> Sprint store, I asked the technician what had been updated from the
    >> WG09 firmware besides the external LCD backlight activation. He
    >> didn't know anything about an update, but after several minutes came
    >
    > What phone is WG09 for? I noticed that my 680 seems to leave the
    > external LCD lit bright for the entire duration that the charge is
    > hooked up (usually overnight). That can't be good for the lifespan of
    > the LDC. I was hoping you would say it is for the 680. sprintpcsinfo
    > doesn't show any new firmware available though.

    I think he means the Samsung VGA1000 (A620). Mine is still at the
    original firmware WG09, but WL15 is available.
    During charging, my external LCD is on, but not at full brightness.

    --

    John Richards

    YES - I was indeed referring to the Samsung VGA1000. Mine is still
    using WG09 firmware, but until I get a better handle on what the "new
    and improved" firmware really does, I think I'll keep what I have.

    BTW: I still like the phone! It's just that most of the Sprint
    stores I've been in seem incredibly inefficient. Customers often have
    interminably long waits, while understaffed service (?) personnel take
    forever entering who-knows-what into their computers and constantly
    disappearing and reappearing into the mysterious backroom!
    Fortunately, their network operates much better than their stores!

    > YES - I was indeed referring to the Samsung VGA1000. Mine is still

    <snip>

    > Fortunately, their network operates much better than their stores!

    -->I second that! <grin>

    Scotty

Sprint PCS Firmware Internet Service Providers