Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Firmware upgrade follies at Sprint store!

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 25, 2004 10:49:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Thought I'd pass this along just for giggles. Yesterday, at a local
Sprint store, I asked the technician what had been updated from the
WG09 firmware besides the external LCD backlight activation. He
didn't know anything about an update, but after several minutes came
back with a printout of changes. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand
much of his "English," and when I tried to peak at the paper, he
quickly snatched it away saying, "You can't see that!" Anyway, the
other "improvements" evidently had something to do with missed or lost
call logging, the addition of The Weather Channel (?), and a new
PacMan game. That is, if I understood anything he said correctly! He
told me it would take 45 minutes, so I left the phone and returned in
an hour. The same firmware was there, and as best I can tell, NOTHING
had been done! Not having another hour to kill, I decided to postpone
the battle for another day – and another Sprint store. However, now
that I've thought about it some more, maybe I won't bother. You know
- if it ain't broke – don't fix it! Maybe I was lucky they didn't
fool with it after all! Has anyone else had their software updated?
May 25, 2004 5:20:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

(Turtleman) wrote:
> Unfortunately, I couldn't understand much of
> his "English," and when I tried to peak at the
> paper, he quickly snatched it away saying,
> "You can't see that!"

That's LOL. I'm surprised he didn't then call you a "nosey posey".

Eric
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 5:58:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Turtleman <terrapin@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thought I'd pass this along just for giggles. Yesterday, at a local
> Sprint store, I asked the technician what had been updated from the
> WG09 firmware besides the external LCD backlight activation. He
> didn't know anything about an update, but after several minutes came

What phone is WG09 for? I noticed that my 680 seems to leave the
external LCD lit bright for the entire duration that the charge is
hooked up (usually overnight). That can't be good for the lifespan of
the LDC. I was hoping you would say it is for the 680. sprintpcsinfo
doesn't show any new firmware available though.

--

Thomas T. Veldhouse
Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
Related resources
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 6:13:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <fa2f59dc.0405250549.406a30e2@posting.google.com>,
terrapin@hotmail.com (Turtleman) wrote:

> Thought I'd pass this along just for giggles. Yesterday, at a local
> Sprint store, I asked the technician what had been updated from the
> WG09 firmware besides the external LCD backlight activation. He
> didn't know anything about an update, but after several minutes came
> back with a printout of changes. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand
> much of his "English," and when I tried to peak at the paper, he
> quickly snatched it away saying, "You can't see that!" Anyway, the
> other "improvements" evidently had something to do with missed or lost
> call logging, the addition of The Weather Channel (?), and a new
> PacMan game. That is, if I understood anything he said correctly! He
> told me it would take 45 minutes, so I left the phone and returned in
> an hour. The same firmware was there, and as best I can tell, NOTHING
> had been done! Not having another hour to kill, I decided to postpone
> the battle for another day – and another Sprint store. However, now
> that I've thought about it some more, maybe I won't bother. You know
> - if it ain't broke – don't fix it! Maybe I was lucky they didn't
> fool with it after all! Has anyone else had their software updated?


http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com has a place to rate the store you visited.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 6:56:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Turtleman" <terrapin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:fa2f59dc.0405250549.406a30e2@posting.google.com...
> Thought I'd pass this along just for giggles. Yesterday, at a local
> Sprint store, I asked the technician what had been updated from the
> WG09 firmware besides the external LCD backlight activation. He
> didn't know anything about an update, but after several minutes came
> back with a printout of changes. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand
> much of his "English," and when I tried to peak at the paper, he
> quickly snatched it away saying, "You can't see that!" Anyway, the
> other "improvements" evidently had something to do with missed or lost
> call logging, the addition of The Weather Channel (?), and a new
> PacMan game. That is, if I understood anything he said correctly! He
> told me it would take 45 minutes, so I left the phone and returned in
> an hour. The same firmware was there, and as best I can tell, NOTHING
> had been done! Not having another hour to kill, I decided to postpone
> the battle for another day – and another Sprint store. However, now
> that I've thought about it some more, maybe I won't bother. You know
> - if it ain't broke – don't fix it! Maybe I was lucky they didn't
> fool with it after all! Has anyone else had their software updated?

Sure, lots of times, for each of the prior SPCS handsets that firmware
upgrades were available. What phone model do you have? And what was the new
firmware version that was suppose to be installed? Lastly, which store did
you go to?

I have one other question. Did you reboot the phone, i.e.: turn it off, and
then turn it back on to check versions?
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 7:30:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:40b3510d$0$171$892e0abb@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...
> Turtleman <terrapin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Thought I'd pass this along just for giggles. Yesterday, at a local
>> Sprint store, I asked the technician what had been updated from the
>> WG09 firmware besides the external LCD backlight activation. He
>> didn't know anything about an update, but after several minutes came
>
> What phone is WG09 for? I noticed that my 680 seems to leave the
> external LCD lit bright for the entire duration that the charge is
> hooked up (usually overnight). That can't be good for the lifespan of
> the LDC. I was hoping you would say it is for the 680. sprintpcsinfo
> doesn't show any new firmware available though.

I think he means the Samsung VGA1000 (A620). Mine is still at the
original firmware WG09, but WL15 is available.
During charging, my external LCD is on, but not at full brightness.

--

John Richards
May 26, 2004 9:13:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

YES - I was indeed referring to the Samsung VGA1000. Mine is still
using WG09 firmware, but until I get a better handle on what the "new
and improved" firmware really does, I think I'll keep what I have.

BTW: I still like the phone! It's just that most of the Sprint
stores I've been in seem incredibly inefficient. Customers often have
interminably long waits, while understaffed service (?) personnel take
forever entering who-knows-what into their computers and constantly
disappearing and reappearing into the mysterious backroom!
Fortunately, their network operates much better than their stores!
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 5:51:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Turtleman" <terrapin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:fa2f59dc.0405260413.42ae31ae@posting.google.com...
> YES - I was indeed referring to the Samsung VGA1000. Mine is still

<snip>

> Fortunately, their network operates much better than their stores!

-->I second that! <grin>

Scotty
!