Sign in with
Your question

best card for recording live music?

Last response: in Components
February 24, 2003 7:50:53 PM

I am putting togather a new computer for recording live music and the sound card is the most important part. I was thinking about the CL SB Audigy2 Platimun. Is that the best card out there for recording with seperate channels? If not what is your recomendation? Money is of no object atm.
February 24, 2003 8:22:36 PM

ok, forget the audigy, good card, not the best. i just read the review for the Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 and that sounds like better card. but it said something about extra hardware in order to take advantage of its full potential. did i miss something? anyways, what do you think?
February 25, 2003 10:25:50 AM

1. Can you link to the review you read of DMX-6Fire? Did you find any review of the newer Terratec Aureon 5.1 sky or 7.1 space?

2. If money's no issue you may want to check the M-Audio Delta series (e.g. Delta66). The Delta series are built for recording and are popular with musicians and home studios.
February 25, 2003 10:44:11 AM

There are currently 3 categories of Sound cards - the bottom level consumer cards - (CD quality in/out) - mid-range home theater (DVD quality out) surround cards (which the Audigy 2 is in, though it only has CD quality input), then the professional cards at the top (which can also vary from about $200 to $1500 (should be at least 2-channel 24/96 duplex)).

As to what card you need, you first have to work out exactly what you need it for - (i.e. how many channels/in/outs / what instruments/software / connectivity (i.e digital in/outs etc.) / and, most importantly what SOUND QUALITY you will need), then have a look at what the companies have to offer that meets your requirements, (read reviews) etc.

When I was looking for a sound card (before I moved - now live recordings are out of the question...:-/ ) I was thinking about the St-audio DSP24 w/ DSP3000 rack-mount, (after 4 months of research :-/), but to each their own...(Especially in music) :-)

'Stupidity is an often fatal disease' - R. A. Heinlein
!