Bass Preamp under $1000

I'm looking for suggestions for a bass preamp under $800. I know a
couple of people that are happy with the ART MPA Gold. Some here
suggest the FMR RNP as a better option. Any opinions on these or
others would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot.
Hibes
40 answers Last reply
More about bass preamp 1000

    for di or microphone?

    DI.

    Hibes wrote:
    > I'm looking for suggestions for a bass preamp under $800. I know a
    > couple of people that are happy with the ART MPA Gold. Some here
    > suggest the FMR RNP as a better option. Any opinions on these or
    > others would be very helpful.

    The FMR RNP does a nice job, as does the Peavey VMP-2 (both of which
    are good quality mic preamps as well). My preference is for miced
    amps, personally. I also prefer the Pod Bass XT (I believe that's the
    correct name, but you probably know what I mean) to either the RNP or
    the VMP-2 if I must go direct.

    Ken/Eleven Shadows
    www.nectarphonic.com

    In article <1107208454.897011.270830@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    "Hibes" <peter@worldbreak.com> wrote:

    > DI.

    Avalon U5 maybe, but as you may already know, the best bass sounds often
    come from a combination of miked speakers; I like the EQ on my
    Gallien-Kruger so I run a line out out of that. Add some light
    compression, mix, stirŠ Bake for 1hr. at 350Š

    Thanks for the input guys. Basically I'm new at recording bass and
    looking for a decent affordable solution. My songs are in the vain of
    U2, Peter Gabriel, Sting. If you guys recommend micing an amp, what
    are some other good amp and mic combinations? I need to purchase an
    bass amp anyway. I have an AKG c535 vocal mic. Not sure if that would
    work, but from what I've read an SM57 would work well for bass.
    Thanks again!
    Hibes

    Get a bass pod pro. I've not heard a finer bass direct recording.
    >From SVT full on to Jaco sounds....really nice.
    later,

    avalon u5, fmr RNP, sansamp tech 21, all work great. i would get an
    RNP if i was you, 475, and then use the rest of your budget to save for
    a nice mic. d112 actually sounds nice on a cab for harder rock, i've
    been using an akg d112, studio projects c3 and 57 depending on the
    sound of bass trying to get. i blend the 2 channels sometimes, and
    depending on the song will use only DI or only the mic. its good to
    have options. i just wish i had some more mics to try.

    Hibes <peter@worldbreak.com> wrote:
    >I'm looking for suggestions for a bass preamp under $800. I know a
    >couple of people that are happy with the ART MPA Gold. Some here
    >suggest the FMR RNP as a better option. Any opinions on these or
    >others would be very helpful.

    What, to use as an instrument DI? Or for part of a stage rack? Do you
    intend on using just the direct feed or you want to drive an amp?

    The ART MPA is very ugly-sounding, and so it will add some definition
    to tracks if you are forced to DI them. But that can be a problem if
    you are looking for a clean DI feed to mix in with a miked amp. And if
    you are looking for a front end to a stage rack neither one of these
    is probably what you want.
    --scott

    Hibes wrote:
    > Thanks for the input guys. Basically I'm new at recording bass and
    > looking for a decent affordable solution. My songs are in the vain of
    > U2, Peter Gabriel, Sting. If you guys recommend micing an amp, what
    > are some other good amp and mic combinations? I need to purchase an
    > bass amp anyway. I have an AKG c535 vocal mic. Not sure if that would
    > work, but from what I've read an SM57 would work well for bass.
    > Thanks again!
    > Hibes

    You WANT this amp!
    http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AMPB100R

    I have had many bass amps over the years, direct boxes, pod, etc., and
    this will give you the mojo. Next best thing to the famous (and still
    expensive) Ampeg fliptops'. I love this amp.

    Then mic it up with whatever you got, even the c535 will work. The main
    thing is to first get the right tone, then recording it becomes much
    easier.

    I use a Grace 101and love it, real nice transparent mic pre too !!

    Hibes wrote:

    > I'm looking for suggestions for a bass preamp under $800. I know a
    > couple of people that are happy with the ART MPA Gold. Some here
    > suggest the FMR RNP as a better option. Any opinions on these or
    > others would be very helpful.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    > Hibes

    About $59 more and you could maybe get an Eclair engineering Evil Twin
    real soon now, if they're not already all spoken for. Inquire at:
    vze2qwtg@verizon.net

    I have an original, one-owner Alembic F-2B tube preamp for sale for $400
    and shipping. It has been my go-to preamp for electric gutiar and bass
    since I bought it in the 1970's, but its place in my signal chain has
    been usurped by the Evil Twin.

    I also have a Peavey VMP2 in fine shape for $500 and shipping. A friend
    of mine uses oen of those for his bass preamp, and gets a mic pre in the
    bargain.

    --
    ha

    hank alrich wrote:

    > About $59 more and you could maybe get an Eclair engineering Evil Twin
    > real soon now, if they're not already all spoken for. Inquire at:
    > vze2qwtg@verizon.net

    Indeed. If you haven't heard this thing you really need to.

    Hibes wrote:

    > Thanks for the input guys. Basically I'm new at recording bass and
    > looking for a decent affordable solution. My songs are in the vain of
    > U2, Peter Gabriel, Sting. If you guys recommend micing an amp, what
    > are some other good amp and mic combinations? I need to purchase an
    > bass amp anyway. I have an AKG c535 vocal mic. Not sure if that would
    > work, but from what I've read an SM57 would work well for bass.

    What's your bass amp budget? What's the rest of your recording rig?

    --
    ha

    "Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
    > Hibes wrote:
    > > Thanks for the input guys. Basically I'm new at recording bass and
    > > looking for a decent affordable solution. My songs are in the vain of
    > > U2, Peter Gabriel, Sting. If you guys recommend micing an amp, what
    > > are some other good amp and mic combinations? I need to purchase an
    > > bass amp anyway. I have an AKG c535 vocal mic. Not sure if that would
    > > work, but from what I've read an SM57 would work well for bass.
    > > Thanks again!
    > > Hibes
    > >

    > You WANT this amp!
    > http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AMPB100R
    >
    > I have had many bass amps over the years, direct boxes, pod, etc., and
    > this will give you the mojo. Next best thing to the famous (and still
    > expensive) Ampeg fliptops'. I love this amp.
    >
    > Then mic it up with whatever you got, even the c535 will work. The main
    > thing is to first get the right tone, then recording it becomes much
    > easier.

    I'm really impressed with this amp, and I haven't even heard bass through it
    yet! A guy I've been playing with had been using it for his guitar amp and
    I kept liking the sound so much I walked over to take a look at it and it
    said 'bass amp' on it! He said the he discovered its usefulness as a guitar
    amp by accident because his regular guitar amp was not working one day so he
    used his bass amp as a temporary thing and he liked it so much he just uses
    it all the time of guitar.

    I've been wanting to pick one up for the studio.

    John L Rice
    Drummer@ImJohn.com

    <mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Get a bass pod pro. I've not heard a finer bass direct recording.
    > >From SVT full on to Jaco sounds....really nice.
    > later,

    Yuck! Those things are nasty. For the money you're talking about, an Avalon
    or (as others have mentioned) an Evil Twin would be a much better
    investment. For that matter, the Demeter bass pre would also be a good call.
    Though I usually use an Evil Twin or a Great River MP-2NV (higher than your
    budget), I regret selling my Demeter bass pre a few years ago, and would buy
    mine back in a heartbeat.

    --
    Dave Martin
    Nashville, TN

    <mwood5nospam@yahoo.comedy> wrote:

    > Get a bass pod pro. I've not heard a finer bass direct recording.

    I think I have.

    --
    ha

    hank alrich wrote:
    > <mwood5nospam@yahoo.comedy> wrote:
    >

    >> Get a bass pod pro. I've not heard a finer bass direct recording.
    >

    > I think I have.

    He's being diplomatic again...

    Keep in mind even though the 535 is an excellent mic, it's bass is
    rolled off a bit to prevent vocal wind blasts. If you use a 57, remove
    the transformer inside and wire the diaphram to the XLR. This will
    lower the gain about 12 db and will extend the low end to 20 hz. Great
    for kick drums too!

    Jim Williams
    Audio upgrades

    Here's a very rough mix of something we recorded with the pod. Again,
    this is just something I slapped together...not edited, mixed properly,
    or with any effects. Just bone dry and with scratch vox. I think the
    bass sounds pretty fair.
    later,

    http://f1.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/mwood5/lst?.dir=/sound+files&.view=l

    Kurt Albershardt <kurt@nv.net> wrote:
    >hank alrich wrote:
    >> <mwood5nospam@yahoo.comedy> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Get a bass pod pro. I've not heard a finer bass direct recording.
    >>
    >> I think I have.
    >
    >He's being diplomatic again...

    I'll say that the Bass Pod can give you a whole lot of bass sounds very
    quickly without much work, and some of them aren't bad. If the bass
    is essential to the piece, it would be a terrible mistake to use one, but
    for typical rock stuff where the bass is just playing a rhythm line and
    nobody is really paying much attention to it, it can be a good tool.
    Part of what makes it good is that if you're looking for a particular
    sound to fit into a mix you can dial through a large number of possible
    sounds quickly. For a Jaco Pastorius or Charlie Hayden piece, run away
    from these things as fast as you can.
    --scott

    Scott Dorsey wrote:

    > I'll say that the Bass Pod can give you a whole lot of bass sounds very
    > quickly without much work, and some of them aren't bad. If the bass
    > is essential to the piece, it would be a terrible mistake to use one, but
    > for typical rock stuff where the bass is just playing a rhythm line and
    > nobody is really paying much attention to it, it can be a good tool.

    I think you will find that when just listening to the bass, you can get
    great sounds with the Pod, super clear, dynamic, etc. But, for some
    reason, in the context of the whole mix, it just doesn't cut it. Doesn't
    seem to fit in quite right.

    Hibes wrote:
    > I'm looking for suggestions for a bass preamp under $800. I know a
    > couple of people that are happy with the ART MPA Gold. Some here
    > suggest the FMR RNP as a better option. Any opinions on these or
    > others would be very helpful.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    > Hibes

    I've got a classic bass preamp for sale, Ashly BP-41, $175. Model used
    by Geddy Lee at one time, if that's of any consequence. It sounds
    great, and I don't know of anything out there now that approaches the
    flexibility of this unit. Here's some information in case you're
    interested, sorry for the sales pitch if not.

    Steve

    Ashly BP-41

    Two switchable inputs, 3-band fixed-EQ, 1-band parametric, presence
    switch, FX insert switch, crossover with variable frequency and
    balance, main volume, direct output mute button and headphone jack w/
    level control. High and low crossover outputs, stage output w/high-low
    switch, Insert send and return w/high-low switch, line level jack w/
    pre/post switch, balanced DI output w/high-low switch, and ground lift.
    Outputs on 1/4" and XLR.

    Specs:

    Available Gain: 60dB Input A, 50dB Input B
    Input Z: 2.2M ohm
    Noise: -105dBV
    THD: <0.01%
    IMD: <0.01%
    Fixed Frequency EQ
    Bass: +/-15dB @ 100Hz
    Mid: +/-15dB @ 1KHz
    Treble: +/-15dB @ 3.1KHz
    Parametric EQ: 31.5Hz to 3.15KHz, Tunable, +/-15dB
    Crossover Frequency: 31.5Hz to 3.15KHz, Tunable, 12dB/octave
    Maximum Output Level: +20dBV
    Output Z: 200 ohm (balanced)
    Power: 120VAC, 50-60Hz, 12W
    Size: 19.0"L, X 1.75"H X 6.0"D
    Weight: 7.5lbs

    Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'm going to look into buying a
    nice bass amp for around $500, maybe the Ampeg that someone mentioned,
    and try micing it. I need an amp anyway for the Fender Jazz bass I'll
    be recording. If I'm not happy with it, then I'll consider a preamp
    along side it such as the RNP.

    Much appreciated!
    Hibes

    In article <cto7d3$2k1$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com (Scott
    Dorsey) wrote:

    > Charlie Hayden

    Charlie Haden

    John L Rice wrote:

    > "Joe Sensor" wrote...

    > > You WANT this amp!
    > > http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AMPB100R

    > > I have had many bass amps over the years, direct boxes, pod, etc., and
    > > this will give you the mojo. Next best thing to the famous (and still
    > > expensive) Ampeg fliptops'. I love this amp.

    > > Then mic it up with whatever you got, even the c535 will work. The main
    > > thing is to first get the right tone, then recording it becomes much
    > > easier.

    Hey, check the sizer of the driver here from the specs:

    *Technical Description
    *Unbalanced Line Out

    *Mid Tone Control: Ultra Mid

    *RMS Power Output: 100W

    *Speakers: 15 ft.

    Whoa, a fifteen foot speakers! Big bottom, indeed!

    > I'm really impressed with this amp, and I haven't even heard bass through it
    > yet! A guy I've been playing with had been using it for his guitar amp and
    > I kept liking the sound so much I walked over to take a look at it and it
    > said 'bass amp' on it! He said the he discovered its usefulness as a guitar
    > amp by accident because his regular guitar amp was not working one day so he
    > used his bass amp as a temporary thing and he liked it so much he just uses
    > it all the time of guitar.

    > I've been wanting to pick one up for the studio.

    Long ago I heard a fabulous jazz guitarist working with Paul Horn who
    used a Les Paul Jr. into a B12-N and got a wonderful sound.

    --
    ha

    <mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Well, as always, I was recording an amazing player which made more
    > diffence than anything in the signal chain.

    Agreed. What goes in begets what comes out.

    --
    ha

    > John L Rice wrote:
    >
    > > "Joe Sensor" wrote...
    >
    > > > You WANT this amp!
    > > > http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AMPB100R
    >
    > > > I have had many bass amps over the years, direct boxes, pod, etc., and
    > > > this will give you the mojo. Next best thing to the famous (and still
    > > > expensive) Ampeg fliptops'. I love this amp.
    >
    > > > Then mic it up with whatever you got, even the c535 will work. The
    main
    > > > thing is to first get the right tone, then recording it becomes much
    > > > easier.
    >
    > Hey, check the sizer of the driver here from the specs:
    >
    > *Technical Description
    > *Unbalanced Line Out
    >
    > *Mid Tone Control: Ultra Mid
    >
    > *RMS Power Output: 100W
    >
    > *Speakers: 15 ft.
    >

    > Whoa, a fifteen foot speakers! Big bottom, indeed!
    >
    > > I'm really impressed with this amp, and I haven't even heard bass
    through it
    > > yet! A guy I've been playing with had been using it for his guitar amp
    and
    > > I kept liking the sound so much I walked over to take a look at it and
    it
    > > said 'bass amp' on it! He said the he discovered its usefulness as a
    guitar
    > > amp by accident because his regular guitar amp was not working one day
    so he
    > > used his bass amp as a temporary thing and he liked it so much he just
    uses
    > > it all the time of guitar.
    >
    > > I've been wanting to pick one up for the studio.
    >
    > Long ago I heard a fabulous jazz guitarist working with Paul Horn who
    > used a Les Paul Jr. into a B12-N and got a wonderful sound.
    >
    > --
    > ha

    WhaaaaaaT? You mean if I get that amp, it wont sound at least as good as
    when the experienced excellent player plays through it? I mean come on!
    I'm a drummer after all . . . noise is noise . . right?

    John L Rice
    Drummer@ImJohn.com

    OK ...
    Before I even download this,
    someone tell me what a ".m4a" filetype is
    and what I need to play it with.
    I'm not going through that QuickTime BS again
    if I can avoid it.

    rd

    I tried this with a R125 cartridge without a transformer.
    The level drop was about 10-12 dB and made for a sweet
    sounding 57 clone.

    rd

    sorry, it's the standard ipod format. Sounds tons better than a
    regular mp3. Now that I'm home, I'll try to post an mp3 there. Give
    me a few...
    later,

    Hibes wrote:

    > Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'm going to look into buying a
    > nice bass amp for around $500, maybe the Ampeg that someone mentioned,
    > and try micing it. I need an amp anyway for the Fender Jazz bass I'll
    > be recording. If I'm not happy with it, then I'll consider a preamp
    > along side it such as the RNP.

    And with a Jazz bass yet :) Yes, I guarantee you will love the amp. And
    it really makes playing the bass fun!

    i've been using the sansamp DI and akg d112 on my svt's 4 x 10 cab.
    deepest, thickest, and most defined sound i've ever achieved.
    sometimes stereo and sometimes blended depending on what else is in the
    mix. playing a EB stingray 5 - btw.

    Tony wrote:
    > Hi - I'd like to learn a little about the better bass pre-amps. But
    as
    > far as I can determine, the ART MPA Gold and FMR RNP are mic
    pre-amps,

    Most preamps (mic or otherwise) can be used as an
    instrument preamp provided the proper connection
    can be made, i.e. 1/4" guitar jack.
    The presence of tone controls and compression
    just makes for added tone shaping ability but the
    main goal is to raise the level to that needed to
    drive A/D converters or record amplifiers to
    enable tracking for recording, or, to drive
    a power amp in the case of a stage rig.
    The mark of a great mic preamp is accuracy
    and good gain with low noise, something that
    IN MY OPINION is not all that critical with
    a bass or guitar preamp.
    My personal preference to track bass is just
    to mic an amp cabinet but I've used just about
    every DI method with variuos results.

    examples:
    passive transformer direct-box into console channel
    line in to console channel
    Yamaha, Ashly, Marshall, Fender instrument preamp
    line out of guitar amp
    ART and other inexpensive mic preamp
    Avalon 737 and other premium mic preamp

    I liked the results from the 737 but it may
    have been overkill.

    > and I can't find anything useful on the "Evil Twin" at all. Are these
    > considered better than actual bass "pre-amps"? why?

    The ET is a short run custom made unit and
    you should be able to find the contact info
    by searching the group. (I've not used one)
    If you want one, get in line.
    Usually something that is a little better
    costs a lot more, shop accordingly.

    good luck
    rd

    in article 1107207050.460600.168670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, Hibes at
    peter@worldbreak.com wrote on 1/31/05 1:30 PM:

    > I'm looking for suggestions for a bass preamp under $800. I know a
    > couple of people that are happy with the ART MPA Gold. Some here
    > suggest the FMR RNP as a better option. Any opinions on these or
    > others would be very helpful.

    The Evil Twin is pretty awesome...

    -jeff

    Hi - I'd like to learn a little about the better bass pre-amps. But as
    far as I can determine, the ART MPA Gold and FMR RNP are mic pre-amps,
    and I can't find anything useful on the "Evil Twin" at all. Are these
    considered better than actual bass "pre-amps"? why?

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:59:09 GMT, Jeff Olsen
    <handywired@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >in article 1107207050.460600.168670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, Hibes at
    >peter@worldbreak.com wrote on 1/31/05 1:30 PM:
    >
    >> I'm looking for suggestions for a bass preamp under $800. I know a
    >> couple of people that are happy with the ART MPA Gold. Some here
    >> suggest the FMR RNP as a better option. Any opinions on these or
    >> others would be very helpful.
    >
    >The Evil Twin is pretty awesome...
    >
    >-jeff

    Tony (remove the "_" to reply by email)

    Tony wrote:

    > But as
    > far as I can determine, the ART MPA Gold and FMR RNP are mic pre-amps,
    > and I can't find anything useful on the "Evil Twin" at all. Are these
    > considered better than actual bass "pre-amps"? why?

    The RNP has a DI input, and it's a very good DI. The ET is pretty
    esoteric, small-run hand-built kit. It was designed to DI bass, but with
    up to 36 dB of gain, available at the XLR, and by switiching from Line
    to Loop, at the 1/4" output, too. What is considered "better" I leave up
    to you. The Evil Twin is the best bass preamp I have ever used.

    --
    ha

    Tony wrote:
    > Thanks RD, Hank and Jeff.
    >
    > As the obvious attributes of connectors, gain and EQ can be had for
    > lots less money, I guess I was wondering what makes these pre-amps
    > worth the extra for a bass application?
    >
    > Tony

    Build quality and component reliability can
    go a long way toward cost. Good design and
    customer service are features that are
    worth something, too. "Made in USA" ?
    Daily studio use or nightly stage use can
    make or break any device.
    Then we get to the actual sound quality...
    High calibre units that are designed for a
    very specific need and made in smaller
    quantities by nature will cost more.
    Also consider that some items (not just bass
    preamps) may also have "Boutique Appeal"
    and be able to fetch a greater profit.
    Just like being able to hang ProTools on
    your shingle "It's all part of the cost of doing
    business"

    rd

    in article st0k01dpbd4ma808hocq3gjhfiub51mlm9@4ax.com, Tony at
    tony_roe@tpg.com.au wrote on 2/9/05 4:40 AM:

    > Hi - I'd like to learn a little about the better bass pre-amps. But as
    > far as I can determine, the ART MPA Gold and FMR RNP are mic pre-amps,
    > and I can't find anything useful on the "Evil Twin" at all. Are these
    > considered better than actual bass "pre-amps"? why?

    >> The Evil Twin is pretty awesome...
    >>
    >> -jeff

    The Evil Twin is a DI that has a stepped rotary switch with enough gain on
    tap to drive an instrument-level signal to +4 balanced, peggin' the
    meters... so yes, it's a preamp, also a DI, but it only has minimal EQ or
    other amenities. It will preamplify your bass guitar to line level in a
    most pleasing way.

    It may be that they are no longer made. I know the guy who designed then
    (Bruce at Eclair Engineering) got real sick. They are a very high-quality
    unit with tubes, Jensen trannys etc.

    I'd stay away from anything ART personally. For $800 you can get some good,
    REAL gear, like an Avalon DI or the good Summit one.

    -jeff

    Thanks RD, Hank and Jeff.

    As the obvious attributes of connectors, gain and EQ can be had for
    lots less money, I guess I was wondering what makes these pre-amps
    worth the extra for a bass application?

    Tony

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:01:25 GMT, Jeff Olsen

    Tony wrote:

    > As the obvious attributes of connectors, gain and EQ can be had for
    > lots less money, I guess I was wondering what makes these pre-amps
    > worth the extra for a bass application?

    All those things RD listed, plus the way they _sound_. A Hyundai has
    four wheels, just like a Ferrari.

    --
    ha

Pro Audio Audio