Starfleet Command III and DirectX 9.0

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim,alt.startrek (More info?)

Starfleet Command III will not run on any system that has anything
other than DirectX 8.1 installed. I have heard that there's a patch
that'll specifically allow the game to run on DirectX 9.0 and above.

Anybody know where I can find this patch? I don't see it on
Activision's website. I googled this problem, and read about a link
to gaming.startrek.com. Unfortunately, the site had been revamped,
and the link's dead. I can't find the patch there either.

On 21 Jun 2004 16:48:09 -0700, opticreep@yahoo.com (Opticreep) wrote:

>Starfleet Command III will not run on any system that has anything
>other than DirectX 8.1 installed. I have heard that there's a patch
>that'll specifically allow the game to run on DirectX 9.0 and above.
>
>Anybody know where I can find this patch? I don't see it on
>Activision's website. I googled this problem, and read about a link
>to gaming.startrek.com. Unfortunately, the site had been revamped,
>and the link's dead. I can't find the patch there either.

I have the ver 1.01 US Beta Patch (11 MB) for that game, though I
don't know if that patch covers your DirectX problem - I glanced at
the readme file of patch fixes and changes and it says nothing to the
effect - though the patch itself is worthwhile, fixing a lot of little
issues. SFC3, a very underrated game indeed - great ship to ship
combat action - great graphics, a lot of fun, I still play it every
once in a while.

WildMan

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004

"Opticreep" <opticreep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Starfleet Command III will not run on any system that has anything
> other than DirectX 8.1 installed. I have heard that there's a patch
> that'll specifically allow the game to run on DirectX 9.0 and above.
>
> Anybody know where I can find this patch? I don't see it on
> Activision's website. I googled this problem, and read about a link
> to gaming.startrek.com. Unfortunately, the site had been revamped,
> and the link's dead. I can't find the patch there either.

Do a search for the patch. It should fix the problem.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=Starfleet+Command+III+DirectX+9

Cosmic Bob wrote:

> I have the ver 1.01 US Beta Patch (11 MB) for that game, though I
> don't know if that patch covers your DirectX problem - I glanced at
> the readme file of patch fixes and changes and it says nothing to the
> effect - though the patch itself is worthwhile, fixing a lot of little
> issues. SFC3, a very underrated game indeed - great ship to ship
> combat action - great graphics, a lot of fun, I still play it every
> once in a while.

I found the enemy AI quite unsatisfying.

--
Elizabeth D. Brooks | kali.magdalene@comcast.net | US2002021724
Listowner: Aberrants_Worldwide, Fading_Suns_Games, TrinityRPG

"Julie d'Aubigny" <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I found the enemy AI quite unsatisfying.

Too easy, I take that to mean?

Opticreep wrote:
> Starfleet Command III will not run on any system that has anything
> other than DirectX 8.1 installed. I have heard that there's a patch
> that'll specifically allow the game to run on DirectX 9.0 and above.
>
> Anybody know where I can find this patch? I don't see it on
> Activision's website. I googled this problem, and read about a link
> to gaming.startrek.com. Unfortunately, the site had been revamped,
> and the link's dead. I can't find the patch there either.

Its out there somewhere I'm sure. Check fan sites via a search as others
have posted. I know they had a "beta" patch that would fix the DX9 issue for
1.00 or you could just update to 1.01 or whatever the latest patch was to
fix the problem.

---

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"J.S." <pythonadder@YourClotheSrocketmail.com> wrote in message
> Opticreep wrote:
> > Starfleet Command III will not run on any system that has anything
> > other than DirectX 8.1 installed. I have heard that there's a patch
> > that'll specifically allow the game to run on DirectX 9.0 and above.
> >
> > Anybody know where I can find this patch? I don't see it on
> > Activision's website. I googled this problem, and read about a link
> > to gaming.startrek.com. Unfortunately, the site had been revamped,
> > and the link's dead. I can't find the patch there either.
>
> Its out there somewhere I'm sure. Check fan sites via a search as others
> have posted. I know they had a "beta" patch that would fix the DX9 issue
for
> 1.00 or you could just update to 1.01 or whatever the latest patch was to
> fix the problem.

Go here:
http://www.stcd.sgnonline.com/sfc3mods.htm
and then to the Official Releases/Patches link.
One of the downloads listed there is the DirectX9 fix, but I think your best
bet is the Beta Patch Build 531, which should include this.

A thread from the Taldren forums about installation of this 'new' Beta patch
is here:

http://forums.taldren.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=327409&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1