Solved

Losing Internet at the same point each day

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
March 7, 2013 8:56:48 PM

Hello,
For the past 4 days my computer loses internet access at the same point each day.Like at exactly 5 a.m I'll lose access and then regain that access at 11 p.m. This exact pattern has been happening for 4 days and it's only isolated to my desktop which uses an ethernet cable, other devices can wirelessly connect just fine after the 5 am mark. Basically these are what I've tried so far.

Scanned with malwarebytes, did a system restore, did a windows update, resetting the router. Any insight would be appreciated

More about : losing internet point day

March 8, 2013 2:41:07 AM

When you say you reset the router, did you perform a hard reset that set it back to factory?
m
l

Best solution

March 8, 2013 12:38:33 PM

Maybe a DHCP lease renewal issue?

So one wired desktop looses connection everyday around 5 am, and the rest of the network continues to function normally?

So there are a few ways this can happen:

1. Nanny type software on the desktop maybe restricting internet access [probably poorly configured if its 5 Am and not 5PM but], administrator privileges required to change this.

2. Router is configured to deny your comp mac address access at certain times [probably misonfigured if its 5 AM and not 5PM but], need config access to router to change.

3. There is a issue with leasing IP's from the router and when its time to renew yours things go wrong. This one can usually be fixed by a reboot and ultimately reconfiguration the router, usually you have limited the number of connections and when its asking for a new lease its being denied becasue you have maxed that limit out or something similar like that.
Related resources
March 8, 2013 3:40:25 PM

wacabletech said:
Maybe a DHCP lease renewal issue?

So one wired desktop looses connection everyday around 5 am, and the rest of the network continues to function normally?

So there are a few ways this can happen:

1. Nanny type software on the desktop maybe restricting internet access [probably poorly configured if its 5 Am and not 5PM but], administrator privileges required to change this.

2. Router is configured to deny your comp mac address access at certain times [probably misonfigured if its 5 AM and not 5PM but], need config access to router to change.

3. There is a issue with leasing IP's from the router and when its time to renew yours things go wrong. This one can usually be fixed by a reboot and ultimately reconfiguration the router, usually you have limited the number of connections and when its asking for a new lease its being denied becasue you have maxed that limit out or something similar like that.

I guess we can rule out number 1 since only I have access to this pc and have not recently installed any type of parental control software. 2 seems unlikely since I live alone and no other people have access to the router besides myself. Number 3, I tried doing a soft reset and a hard reset on my router and then reconfiguring it but it still manages to stop granting me internet access after the 5 am mark. I'm starting to think I have vampire internet :pt1cable: 
m
l
March 12, 2013 2:14:46 PM

Alright after losing my internet at the 5 a.m mark I decided to copy the MAC address of my netbook which was working and used it for my desktop and now I have internet access albeit a slow one for some reason but hey it's a start. I haven't configured anything in the router to deny my MAC address so this is really curious
m
l