Apreche

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2001
Ok, this might make some of you cry. I bought the 172X and its everything the hype said it was. Mine had no dead pixels, it was perfect. Until the other day when I got a very small scratch in it. If you don't know its there you'll probably never notice. But it is especially visible when it is very white or yellow around that area. And if you know where it is you keep noticing it and it gets very annoying. Samsung wont do anything about it obviously. So how do I repair the scratch? There has to be a way to make the monitor like new again, right? I found suprisingly little material about this by searching google. I can't imagine that with all the laptops and such that nobody whoever scratched their lcd had a desire to fix it. I'm looking for maybe some sort of polish I can rub a very small amount of in the area of the scratch with a microfiber cloth, or something of that nature. Does anything exist or am i going to be dealing with this forever? I just got this monitor, so if I don't fix it then it is going to haunt me for a very long time.

-----------------
"I EAT YOUR BRAIN"
-Mindflayer

CTHULHU for President in 2004!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Good luck on your search. I scratched my CRT years ago and lived with it since. It's a bad scratch right in the middle of the screen. I never found any fixes for that at all.

LCD screens could be different though - certainly different materials. When I finally break down and by my LCD I'm wondering if an investment in one of those protective ant-glare screens would be a good idea. I'd have to find a nice looking one that doesn't dedtract from the beauty of the LCD. Anyone use these on their LCD screens.

One bit of advice is that I would leave the scratch completely alone until you find a proven fix. Otherwise you could start rubbing on that scratch and make it and the area around it worse....I'd think rubbing would create a dull finish to the area. I wonder if there is an outer plastic type of layer on these LCD screens that could be replaced? Call around and see what computer shops in your area say. For a price it could probably be fixed.

<A HREF="http://www.proactivedesign.net/eric" target="_new">More than you want to know about me . . .</A>