Multiple Wifi routers on network with NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Firewall

KevinP_14

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Hello all,

I'm trying to help out a small non-profit.

They have a NETGEAR ProSafe VPN Firewall FVX538 on 192.168.1.1.

They have 2 different wi-fi routers, one is static at 192.168.1.4, the other is not static.

Someone donated a Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router. They asked me to set that up. But i cannot get to the home page to change the IP address.

When I search for help with 'multiple routers' it says to simply unplug one, so you can get to the config page at 192.168.1.1. I can not unplug the main router for the business, right?

Do i need to change the IP of the Netgear temporarily? Will that bring down the network?

Thanks for your help!

Kevin

Solution
Do a factory reset of the donated router. Connect it as you normally would. Plug (wired) computer into the new router. Once you get an IP you can then get to the config page. I assume you know how to do an ipconfig /all to get your gateway address.
Once you get into the home page I would disable dhcp on it and allow the Prosafe or whatever else you have handle the DHCP addressing. You can also turn it off on the other wi-fi router if you already haven't done that. This will give you just one network to deal with.

Note: Not all routers use the 192.168.1.x network. Some are 192.168.0.x from the factory.

sturm

Splendid
Do a factory reset of the donated router. Connect it as you normally would. Plug (wired) computer into the new router. Once you get an IP you can then get to the config page. I assume you know how to do an ipconfig /all to get your gateway address.
Once you get into the home page I would disable dhcp on it and allow the Prosafe or whatever else you have handle the DHCP addressing. You can also turn it off on the other wi-fi router if you already haven't done that. This will give you just one network to deal with.

Note: Not all routers use the 192.168.1.x network. Some are 192.168.0.x from the factory.

Solution

KevinP_14

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks Sturm! I reset it and plugged it in and it works perfectly.

Now i find out the firmware is stuck back in 2003 and the update fails. Maybe i'll have to buy a new one anyway. But good to learn something new. Have a great day.