I Can't get into the 192.168.1.1 Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vjames12

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Everytime I type in the 192.168.1.1 address, I receivea message "Internet Explorer Cannot Display Webpage". I have tried this several times and it doesn't connect me to the website.
HELP!

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It's not a website - it is actually the address of a router which forms the hub of a local network and sometimes handles the Internet connection as well. Sadly though, it isn't yours or, so long a the cable is connected form the computer to the router, entering that in your browser would take you there. So, you either aren't wired up properly or it's not the right address.

If you're only using wireless to get to the router, you aren't connected properly and it's probably because you haven't got as far as putting in the router's security key. Use the information in this link to our Sticky Post on this issue to find the right address then use the cable that came with the router to connect to it. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/38111-18-find-change-wireless-security

Jward2013

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

I'm having the same issue....I think the site is down based on seeing multiple posts on this problem over a number of years. I wonder if Saga Lout bothered to check to see if he or she could connect to the site before giving information that doesn't appear to address the real problem. Personally, I really object to remarks like, "you're not typing in the right address".

There really isn't any offence meant in my remark didn't imply a typing error - it meant what it said, that the address isn't the right one. However it's phrased - "not typing in the right address" is frequently the right answer and it isn't because for a typo in this instance. So many posters in networking threads hand out the advice that the address of your router is 192.168.1.1" and folk start to believe it. In reality there are several frequently used addresses - Netgear uses 1.1 and 0.1, Belkins usually uses 2.1 and a couple of popular UK ISPs have routers with the address 1992.168.1.254.

My guess in Vjames12's case is he isn't cabled and therefore can't access the router because he's not actually connected to it. Perhaps he or she will come back and let us know.

The site, as you call it, isn't down - my Netgear lets me in every time and its address is 192.168.1.1. I just checked again.

Jward2013

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Maybe YOU"RE able to get into 192.168.1.1 with your NETGEAR device, but I've been unable to do the same today with my Cisco Linksys wireless router using the exact SAME address I was using up until 2:00 am this morning (USA Central Time). I know for a FACT that this is the correct address because I've been using it for YEARS, and I've double-checked on the Cisco Support website. So, YES, the site is apparently DOWN for some of us out here and we're obviously not too happy about it. Got any other GREAT advice besides "can't access the router because he's not actually connected to it"??

Got any other GREAT advice besides "can't access the router because he's not actually connected to it"??

Yep. Go from Start to Run in XP or in Vista, W7 and 8 press teh Windows key and R together and into the Open box type
cmd /k ipconfig /all
including the spaces, then press Enter. What show sup in the black form beside Default Gateway" is the address you need. If You type that in your browser and get hijacked to a Cisco site which is down, go back to your Homepage and clear the history then try again. I just checked here using a Linksys router (made by or for Cisco) and got straight to the router's settings login page.

nobel123

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Try 192.168.0.1

This works for me than ending with 1.1 as i think this website is down. And yes you need to connect the cable from your router to your computer to have access to this website

Status
Not open for further replies.