What Retention plans can I get?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
May 26, 2004 4:34:46 PM

I have been a Sprint customer for over 3 years.
First with a 2 year contract, then a 1 year contract.
Now month to month.

I pay about 40 a month for 400 minutes and nights/wkend starting at
8pm.

I got a call last month offering to upgrade me to 500 minutes and
nights at 7pm for the same price but with a 2 yr contract.

Would I be able to get a better plan if I called the Retention
department?
Thats what a friend suggested.
He said they might even give me credit toward a new phone (I have the
samsung flip phone 8500?).
He says I should call and say I want to quit, etc...

Is this a good idea?
What plans are available?

Thanks

More about : retention plans

Anonymous
May 26, 2004 11:58:18 PM

"Mike" <mike1cheng@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been a Sprint customer for over 3 years.
> First with a 2 year contract, then a 1 year contract.
> Now month to month.
>
> I pay about 40 a month for 400 minutes and nights/wkend starting at
> 8pm.
>
> I got a call last month offering to upgrade me to 500 minutes and
> nights at 7pm for the same price but with a 2 yr contract.
>
> Would I be able to get a better plan if I called the Retention
> department?
> Thats what a friend suggested.
> He said they might even give me credit toward a new phone (I have the
> samsung flip phone 8500?).
> He says I should call and say I want to quit, etc...
>
> Is this a good idea?
> What plans are available?
>
> Thanks

Considering the age of that 8500, I suspect that you already qualify for the
mail in credit, if you've had the same phone number on that phone for 18
months or longer. If you upgraded to a Vision phone, you would need to sign
up to Vision, but you could cancel that within the 60 day free trial period.

As to threatening to quit, I'd recommend that you approach it as I did. I
never said I was going to cancel, but I did say that I was looking at other
company plans, and was wondering whether SPCS could match them. They did for
yours truly with more features and at a lower expense than my current plan.

I was on a 2000 min. plan, with 2 add-a-phones, Vision, F&CA, N & W @ 9:00
PM and my monthly expense was $135 including taxes and surcharges. I was
able to get a 1200 min. plan, with 2 add-a-phones, Vision, F&CA, and N&W
starting @ 7:00 PM for $70 inc. T & S for the 1st 2 months, then $95 inc. T
& S, when the cost for Vision for 2 phones kicked in.

That deal they did offer you was fairly good. Some folks have posted here,
where they received 750 AT minutes for $40.

Bob
May 26, 2004 11:58:19 PM

beg for more...
I got 750 for $40 but got 150 added freebie AT minutes on top of that.
I also got First incoming minute free, and 5000 N&W min.

Bob Smith wrote:

> "Mike" <mike1cheng@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have been a Sprint customer for over 3 years.
> > First with a 2 year contract, then a 1 year contract.
> > Now month to month.
> >
> > I pay about 40 a month for 400 minutes and nights/wkend starting at
> > 8pm.
> >
> > I got a call last month offering to upgrade me to 500 minutes and
> > nights at 7pm for the same price but with a 2 yr contract.
> >
> > Would I be able to get a better plan if I called the Retention
> > department?
> > Thats what a friend suggested.
> > He said they might even give me credit toward a new phone (I have the
> > samsung flip phone 8500?).
> > He says I should call and say I want to quit, etc...
> >
> > Is this a good idea?
> > What plans are available?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Considering the age of that 8500, I suspect that you already qualify for the
> mail in credit, if you've had the same phone number on that phone for 18
> months or longer. If you upgraded to a Vision phone, you would need to sign
> up to Vision, but you could cancel that within the 60 day free trial period.
>
> As to threatening to quit, I'd recommend that you approach it as I did. I
> never said I was going to cancel, but I did say that I was looking at other
> company plans, and was wondering whether SPCS could match them. They did for
> yours truly with more features and at a lower expense than my current plan.
>
> I was on a 2000 min. plan, with 2 add-a-phones, Vision, F&CA, N & W @ 9:00
> PM and my monthly expense was $135 including taxes and surcharges. I was
> able to get a 1200 min. plan, with 2 add-a-phones, Vision, F&CA, and N&W
> starting @ 7:00 PM for $70 inc. T & S for the 1st 2 months, then $95 inc. T
> & S, when the cost for Vision for 2 phones kicked in.
>
> That deal they did offer you was fairly good. Some folks have posted here,
> where they received 750 AT minutes for $40.
>
> Bob
Related resources
May 27, 2004 12:40:44 AM

> As to threatening to quit, I'd recommend that you approach it as I did. I
> never said I was going to cancel, but I did say that I was looking at
other
> company plans, and was wondering whether SPCS could match them.

This is what I did as well

> That deal they did offer you was fairly good. Some folks have posted here,
> where they received 750 AT minutes for $40.

I received 1000 AT and unlimited NW for $50. Just came off another retention
deal of 650 for $35, but last week in The Cincinnati Enquirer they had an
advertisement for Verizon of 1000 AT for $39 month. I would have switched to
verizon, but I already bought a sanyo 7300.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 1:38:38 AM

In article <b9ddd551.0405261134.46482ce8@posting.google.com>,
mike1cheng@yahoo.com (Mike) wrote:

> I have been a Sprint customer for over 3 years.
> First with a 2 year contract, then a 1 year contract.
> Now month to month.
>
> I pay about 40 a month for 400 minutes and nights/wkend starting at
> 8pm.
>
> I got a call last month offering to upgrade me to 500 minutes and
> nights at 7pm for the same price but with a 2 yr contract.
>
> Would I be able to get a better plan if I called the Retention
> department?
> Thats what a friend suggested.
> He said they might even give me credit toward a new phone (I have the
> samsung flip phone 8500?).
> He says I should call and say I want to quit, etc...
>
> Is this a good idea?
> What plans are available?

Do a Google Search

Google

Groupos

Title: retention
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 1:40:48 AM

In article <gh7tc.8924$dn1.8471@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
"thunder" <thunder@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> I received 1000 AT and unlimited NW for $50. Just came off another retention
> deal of 650 for $35, but last week in The Cincinnati Enquirer they had an
> advertisement for Verizon of 1000 AT for $39 month. I would have switched to
> verizon, but I already bought a sanyo 7300.

Was that a "local" verizon plan?
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 1:40:49 AM

R?bert M <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <gh7tc.8924$dn1.8471@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
> "thunder" <thunder@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I received 1000 AT and unlimited NW for $50. Just came off another retention
>> deal of 650 for $35, but last week in The Cincinnati Enquirer they had an
>> advertisement for Verizon of 1000 AT for $39 month. I would have switched to
>> verizon, but I already bought a sanyo 7300.
>
> Was that a "local" verizon plan?

1000 peak minutes for $39 per month would have to be a local plan. You're
looking at about twice that much for a nationwide plan with the same number
of minutes.

OTOH, the local calling area for Cleveland, when I was there, included
all Verizon native networks in Ohio, as well as the Verizon network in
Detroit and Southeast Michigan - I suspect Cincinnati's local calling
area is just as large. It's not a bad deal.

May 27, 2004 3:32:51 AM

"Mike" <mike1cheng@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been a Sprint customer for over 3 years.
> First with a 2 year contract, then a 1 year contract.
> Now month to month.
>
> I pay about 40 a month for 400 minutes and nights/wkend starting at
> 8pm.
>
> I got a call last month offering to upgrade me to 500 minutes and
> nights at 7pm for the same price but with a 2 yr contract.
>
> Would I be able to get a better plan if I called the Retention
> department?
> Thats what a friend suggested.
> He said they might even give me credit toward a new phone (I have the
> samsung flip phone 8500?).
> He says I should call and say I want to quit, etc...
>
> Is this a good idea?
> What plans are available?
>
> Thanks

I got 750AT mins, unlimited N&W starting at 8PM, plus unlimited PCS to PCS
for $40. I had been a subscriber for a little over 1 year, and I had one
more year to go on my contract. I called and told them that my friend got
the plan as a new customer and wondered if I could switch to it. They let
me switch without any hassle.

Mark L.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 5:59:45 AM

I am glad to hear about sprintpcs rewarding their loyal customers who
are persistent in rquesting rention plans but they would be much more
respeted and overall have a better business if they would offer this
stuff from day one to creditworthy customers .

On 26 May 2004 12:34:46 -0700, mike1cheng@yahoo.com (Mike) wrote:

>I have been a Sprint customer for over 3 years.
>First with a 2 year contract, then a 1 year contract.
>Now month to month.
>
>I pay about 40 a month for 400 minutes and nights/wkend starting at
>8pm.
>
>I got a call last month offering to upgrade me to 500 minutes and
>nights at 7pm for the same price but with a 2 yr contract.
>
>Would I be able to get a better plan if I called the Retention
>department?
>Thats what a friend suggested.
>He said they might even give me credit toward a new phone (I have the
>samsung flip phone 8500?).
>He says I should call and say I want to quit, etc...
>
>Is this a good idea?
>What plans are available?
>
>Thanks
May 27, 2004 10:33:58 AM

nospam4me@nospam.com wrote:
> I am glad to hear about sprintpcs rewarding their loyal customers who
> are persistent in rquesting rention plans but they would be much more
> respeted and overall have a better business if they would offer this
> stuff from day one to creditworthy customers .

No!!!!

I sell the phones. This would be a terrible thing. I have enough
problems with people that can't keep the carriers straight and want me
to honor some regional plan rate with a Sprint national plan. I have
enough people who start teliing me about their financial history when I
tell them that I need a $250 deposit. Heaven forbid I tell the next
person in line that they don't need a deposit at all! No, to make the
rate plans different for different credit classes would make my life a hell.
-mike
May 27, 2004 11:59:05 AM

bri <dud@dud.net> wrote in message news:<40B4FEE5.AD90521D@dud.net>...
> beg for more...
> I got 750 for $40 but got 150 added freebie AT minutes on top of that.
> I also got First incoming minute free, and 5000 N&W min.

Damn! thats a good deal.
So you got 900 anytime minutes, 5000 N&W for $40?
Is that national? I need the non-roaming and free long distance.

I tried asking them for better deals, and they said I have the best
one out there...then the customer service rep suggested I call
retention.

Thanks
May 27, 2004 12:00:53 PM

> Considering the age of that 8500, I suspect that you already qualify for the
> mail in credit, if you've had the same phone number on that phone for 18
> months or longer. If you upgraded to a Vision phone, you would need to sign
Whats this "mail in credit" ?

> As to threatening to quit, I'd recommend that you approach it as I did. I
> never said I was going to cancel, but I did say that I was looking at other
> company plans, and was wondering whether SPCS could match them. They did for
> yours truly with more features and at a lower expense than my current plan.
yeah, I called the customer service line a few months ago, and
they said I have the best plan out there.
So I was like "I was your customer for over 3 years and you cant do me
any favors?"
So the rep suggested I call retention for better plans.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 7:27:49 PM

> > Considering the age of that 8500, I suspect that you already qualify for
the
> > mail in credit, if you've had the same phone number on that phone for 18
> > months or longer. If you upgraded to a Vision phone, you would need to
sign
> Whats this "mail in credit" ?
>
> > As to threatening to quit, I'd recommend that you approach it as I did.
> > never said I was going to cancel, but I did say that I was looking at
other
> > company plans, and was wondering whether SPCS could match them. They did
for
> > yours truly with more features and at a lower expense than my current
plan.
> yeah, I called the customer service line a few months ago, and
> they said I have the best plan out there.
> So I was like "I was your customer for over 3 years and you cant do me
> any favors?"
> So the rep suggested I call retention for better plans.

And that's the way it should be ... as they don't give the first line CS
reps all that much authority to negotiate plans.

Bob
May 28, 2004 10:08:59 AM

Forgive the newbie question, but who do we call for "retention?" I'm on a
plan that's...oh somewhere around six years old, and I figure its about time
to upgrade. And is that "Retention FAQ" pretty accurate?

EC

"Mike" <mike1cheng@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have been a Sprint customer for over 3 years.
> First with a 2 year contract, then a 1 year contract.
> Now month to month.
>
> I pay about 40 a month for 400 minutes and nights/wkend starting at
> 8pm.
>
> I got a call last month offering to upgrade me to 500 minutes and
> nights at 7pm for the same price but with a 2 yr contract.
>
> Would I be able to get a better plan if I called the Retention
> department?
> Thats what a friend suggested.
> He said they might even give me credit toward a new phone (I have the
> samsung flip phone 8500?).
> He says I should call and say I want to quit, etc...
>
> Is this a good idea?
> What plans are available?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:07:28 PM

In article <%HAtc.10363$n_6.1423@attbi_s53>,
"skyliner" <skyliner@cloudmaster.com> wrote:

> Forgive the newbie question, but who do we call for "retention?" I'm on a
> plan that's...oh somewhere around six years old, and I figure its about time
> to upgrade. And is that "Retention FAQ" pretty accurate?
>
> EC

It's accurate, if your honest with yourself regarding the factors listed.

> "Mike" <mike1cheng@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have been a Sprint customer for over 3 years.
> > First with a 2 year contract, then a 1 year contract.
> > Now month to month.
> >
> > I pay about 40 a month for 400 minutes and nights/wkend starting at
> > 8pm.
> >
> > I got a call last month offering to upgrade me to 500 minutes and
> > nights at 7pm for the same price but with a 2 yr contract.
> >
> > Would I be able to get a better plan if I called the Retention
> > department?
> > Thats what a friend suggested.
> > He said they might even give me credit toward a new phone (I have the
> > samsung flip phone 8500?).
> > He says I should call and say I want to quit, etc...
> >
> > Is this a good idea?
> > What plans are available?
> >
> > Thanks
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 3:41:33 PM

"skyliner" <skyliner@cloudmaster.com> wrote in message

> Forgive the newbie question, but who do we call for "retention?" I'm on a
> plan that's...oh somewhere around six years old, and I figure its about
time
> to upgrade. And is that "Retention FAQ" pretty accurate?
>
> EC

It's pretty accurate, even though it's presented by our resident troll. As
to who you call, call *2 and say Cancel when prompted by Claire. You will be
sent to the retention department, who will be able to offer you a new plan,
starting on your next billing cycle. What will be offered is based on your
credit history, and your length of time with the company.

Sometimes it's good to change plans, and sometimes it's not, depending on a
number of factors and what is included on your old plan. Out of curiosity,
what $$ & minute plan are you one now, and what options are included? FIMF?
Are you going over your bucket of minutes? Also, which coverage are you in?

Bob
May 28, 2004 7:44:19 PM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Sometimes it's good to change plans, and sometimes it's not, depending on
> number of factors and what is included on your old plan. Out of curiosity,
> what $$ & minute plan are you one now, and what options are included?
FIMF?
> Are you going over your bucket of minutes? Also, which coverage are you
in?

Lessee, if I remember correctly, $25.99 a month for 180 anytime mins +50 off
network minutes. Free long distance, of course, nationwide coverage. Not
sure what FIMF is? Generally I fit within that plan, although occasionally
when I'm travelling for a week at a time, I go over that. Although if I do
get something with more minutes, I might use them. Dunno.

Kinda embarassing having such an old plan, with what's out there these days.
;)

EC
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 8:12:37 PM

> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Sometimes it's good to change plans, and sometimes it's not, depending
on
> > number of factors and what is included on your old plan. Out of
curiosity,
> > what $$ & minute plan are you one now, and what options are included?
> FIMF?
> > Are you going over your bucket of minutes? Also, which coverage are you
> in?
>

> Lessee, if I remember correctly, $25.99 a month for 180 anytime mins +50
off
> network minutes. Free long distance, of course, nationwide coverage. Not
> sure what FIMF is? Generally I fit within that plan, although occasionally
> when I'm travelling for a week at a time, I go over that. Although if I do
> get something with more minutes, I might use them. Dunno.
>
> Kinda embarassing having such an old plan, with what's out there these
days.
> ;)
>
> EC

That's an old plan. FIMF - First Incoming Minute Free. The next closest new
plan is the $35 for 300 minutes, with unlimited N & W starting at 9:00 PM.

Getting back to your original question, if you only occasionally go over, it
may not be in your best interest to change. Retention will not be able to
provide you any cheaper plans, save for what I mentioned above. The only
reason to call retention is if you plan to use more minutes than you current
do now.

There is one deal that may interest you, and that's if you've had your phone
number on the same phone for 18 months or longer. SPCS offers a $100 to $150
mail in rebate if you need to get a new phone. $100 if you commit to a one
year commitment, $150 if you commit to a 2 year commitment.

As you don't use Vision, you should look at Non-Vision phones, like the
Nokia 3588i or the Motorola V60v. If you do decide to upgrade your phone
with either of these models, all it should take is an ESN change, which
shouldn't cost you anything.

Bob
May 30, 2004 1:37:41 AM

Hello ALL

Tell us if this sounds good to you. We where going to zap all our
lines last week After talking with them here is what they gave us

1200 mins for $60 for 3 phones Start time 7pm With LD NW
$5 bucks for off network roam
$5 Bucks to start at 7pm
$10 for Vision and picture pack on all phones
Free SMS

Total of 80$ Plus 20% off

From steve

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:41:33 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>"skyliner" <skyliner@cloudmaster.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Forgive the newbie question, but who do we call for "retention?" I'm on a
>> plan that's...oh somewhere around six years old, and I figure its about
>time
>> to upgrade. And is that "Retention FAQ" pretty accurate?
>>
>> EC
>
>It's pretty accurate, even though it's presented by our resident troll. As
>to who you call, call *2 and say Cancel when prompted by Claire. You will be
>sent to the retention department, who will be able to offer you a new plan,
>starting on your next billing cycle. What will be offered is based on your
>credit history, and your length of time with the company.
>
>Sometimes it's good to change plans, and sometimes it's not, depending on a
>number of factors and what is included on your old plan. Out of curiosity,
>what $$ & minute plan are you one now, and what options are included? FIMF?
>Are you going over your bucket of minutes? Also, which coverage are you in?
>
>Bob

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors,
disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent
theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will
only add to the overall beauty of the post.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 4:28:20 PM

"Steve" <smartfix1@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hello ALL
>
> Tell us if this sounds good to you. We where going to zap all our
> lines last week After talking with them here is what they gave us
>
> 1200 mins for $60 for 3 phones Start time 7pm With LD NW
> $5 bucks for off network roam
> $5 Bucks to start at 7pm
> $10 for Vision and picture pack on all phones
> Free SMS
>
> Total of 80$ Plus 20% off
>
> From steve

That's a hellava deal Steve ... Better than mine ...

Bob
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 5:39:42 PM

Steve - what relationship do you have that gets the 20% off? I'd take the
deal you got and give up my FIMF - just need about 2000 / 2500 min for two
phones. George

"Steve" <smartfix1@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hello ALL
>
> Tell us if this sounds good to you. We where going to zap all our
> lines last week After talking with them here is what they gave us
>
> 1200 mins for $60 for 3 phones Start time 7pm With LD NW
> $5 bucks for off network roam
> $5 Bucks to start at 7pm
> $10 for Vision and picture pack on all phones
> Free SMS
>
> Total of 80$ Plus 20% off
>
> From steve

May 31, 2004 1:25:27 AM

Hello

Relationship Good Q. 2 years of bad service in my area only. Our area
is over sold. We get lots of busys and drop calls. Thinking of canning
our service but this deal sounded nice. We keep all our service
tickets and all people we speak to all the time. Keep a very good log
Dates,Times,Call centers, People you speak to, and a very good paper
trail.

From steve

PS:: Forgot to tell you They didn't make us sign a 2 year contract. So
we can now get out anytime if things get out of hand. FREE TO GO
Anytime

!