Slow upload speed on one PC only...

magicmat

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
I have a lovely new lightening fast Windows PC - all working perfectly...

EXCEPT...

My broadband upload speed is REALLY slow from it. I am in the UK, with Virgin cable, and should get 30mbps download, and around 2mbps upload. This is what I get on my other PC's and laptops when connected (directly and via router), but with my new PC my upload speed is awful, around 0.25mbps (my download speed is the same as the other PCs).

I updated all the drivers when I built the PC last week, and I have tried different cables and different PCs...and have eliminated these as the cause.

I don't yet have a AV solution installed, so it wouldn't be this slowing it down. Any suggestions? Im a bit of a noob so if you do have any suggestions, please speak slowly! :)

THANKS!!

magicmat

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
Hmmm....well I carried on digging, and found this message...which I followed, and it seems to have done the job:

"I just built a computer with the same motherboard and found the offender was Windows Management Instrumentation service. Try disabling that in msconfig. Don't ask me why it causes problems but after disabling it I went from 0.75mb to 3mb upload."

My Upload speed is now the same as my other devices...wohoo! Will disabling Windows Management Instrumentation service cause any other problems?!

jasonramirez

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013