Games sort of like Elite

Last response: in Video Games
July 11, 2004 5:25:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Hi,

I am in the early stages of creating a game (how many times have you heard
that before) in the genre of space trading, fighting, pirate, mercenary,
missions... blah blah blah.

I am trying to learn from all the games that have already been done in the
area. If you could help me identify some more, I would appreciate it.

Basically, there are three camps of games that I have identified:

1. Elite-like - Space flight simulator with trading and missions
2. "Top down" versions of Elite (e.g. Escape Velocity)
3. Abstract Turn based versions of Elite (e.g. Smugglers 3)

Games I know of:

Group I:
Elite - in all it's versions (commercial)
Hardwar (commercial)
Privateer (commercial)
Freelancer (commercial)
X2 (commercial)
VegaStrike (Indie)
StarWraith (Indie)
Freeform Space (Indie)

Group II: (almost all independent developers as far as I can tell, with the
exception of Starflight)
Escape Velocity (Nova)
Jack of All Trades
Starflight (sort of...)
Wazzal

Group III:
Smugglers III
Space Trader (for the Palm)

Any new games that you can add to any category would greatly help me out.
Also, if you are aware of any turn based games of category '2' (like SSIs
old Interceptor game, but with trading/missions), I would love to know
about - since that is the game I am trying to make.

Thanks,
Michael

More about : games sort elite

July 11, 2004 5:25:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Michi Kossowsky proclaimed...

> Hi,
>
> I am in the early stages of creating a game (how many times have you heard
> that before) in the genre of space trading, fighting, pirate, mercenary,
> missions... blah blah blah.

Good luck.

> I am trying to learn from all the games that have already been done in the
> area. If you could help me identify some more, I would appreciate it.
>
> Basically, there are three camps of games that I have identified:
>
> 1. Elite-like - Space flight simulator with trading and missions
> 2. "Top down" versions of Elite (e.g. Escape Velocity)
> 3. Abstract Turn based versions of Elite (e.g. Smugglers 3)
>
> Games I know of:
>
> Group I:
> Elite - in all it's versions (commercial)
> Hardwar (commercial)
> Privateer (commercial)
> Freelancer (commercial)
> X2 (commercial)
> VegaStrike (Indie)
> StarWraith (Indie)
> Freeform Space (Indie)
>
> Group II: (almost all independent developers as far as I can tell, with the
> exception of Starflight)
> Escape Velocity (Nova)
> Jack of All Trades
> Starflight (sort of...)
> Wazzal
>
> Group III:
> Smugglers III
> Space Trader (for the Palm)
>
> Any new games that you can add to any category would greatly help me out.
> Also, if you are aware of any turn based games of category '2' (like SSIs
> old Interceptor game, but with trading/missions), I would love to know
> about - since that is the game I am trying to make.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

What are you trying to make here?
A new Elite or something different, I'm confused.
July 11, 2004 5:25:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

If you are going to create a game, what do you plan to use to program the
game? Or do you plan on using someone's game engine, while you do the story
line, art, etc?

Also, what are your qualifications? Do you have a degree, experience, etc?
Have any demo's of your own work?

Let me know.
July 11, 2004 7:10:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:25:01 +0300, "Michi Kossowsky"
<michi@no.spam.isdn.net.il> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am in the early stages of creating a game (how many times have you heard
>that before) in the genre of space trading, fighting, pirate, mercenary,
>missions... blah blah blah.
>
>I am trying to learn from all the games that have already been done in the
>area. If you could help me identify some more, I would appreciate it.
>
>Basically, there are three camps of games that I have identified:
>
>1. Elite-like - Space flight simulator with trading and missions
>2. "Top down" versions of Elite (e.g. Escape Velocity)
>3. Abstract Turn based versions of Elite (e.g. Smugglers 3)
>
>Games I know of:
>
>Group I:
>Elite - in all it's versions (commercial)
>Hardwar (commercial)
>Privateer (commercial)
>Freelancer (commercial)
>X2 (commercial)
>VegaStrike (Indie)
>StarWraith (Indie)
>Freeform Space (Indie)

>Any new games that you can add to any category would greatly help me out.
>Also, if you are aware of any turn based games of category '2' (like SSIs
>old Interceptor game, but with trading/missions), I would love to know
>about - since that is the game I am trying to make.
>
>Thanks,
>Michael

Terminus is one you forgot. It's vaguely elite-like, and has one of
the best flight models to date in a space-sim (IMO).

rails.

Battlecruiser: Millenium or Universal Combat, but they are basically
tactical based and I've been told hard to learn, and some-what buggy.

Independence War2 is another one with a very good flight model, but
the trading system is barter only, and it's pretty much on rails as
well.

Freespace and Freespace 2

Trade War 2002v2 is a text-based, ANSI onliine trading game, which I
think was the very first online space-sim.

...and a few others I can't think of right now.
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 9:17:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"Strider" <email-address@signature.okay> wrote in message
[snip]

> What are you trying to make here?
> A new Elite or something different, I'm confused.

Something different actually.

The best way I could define it as would be a turn based blend of Origin's
Space Rogue and New World Computing's Planet's Edge with Elite First
Encounter's freeform trade/military/pirate/explorer plot (or lack thereof).

It has a top down display, but unlike Escape Velocity and it's clones, the
space combat would be turn based (think SSI's Intereceptor). Since it would
be boring to travel around the solar system in turn-based, I have two
different ideas for that - one would be the Elite time compression concept
combined with real time movement, or I could go the "Smugglers 3" route and
make it abstract. I am leaning to option #1, even tho it is more work.

On the ground, (planets, space stations), the display would change to a
basic isometric (think indie RPGs like Avernum/Exile) view ... for
repetitive tasks like trading cargo, ship upgrades, etc rather than have to
walk around the space station, that could be done via a menu ("Terminal")...
the walking would mainly be for the RPG/exploration elements or other unique
activities.

That help?

Thanks,
Michael
July 11, 2004 9:17:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Michi Kossowsky proclaimed...

> Something different actually.
>
> The best way I could define it as would be a turn based blend of Origin's
> Space Rogue and New World Computing's Planet's Edge with Elite First
> Encounter's freeform trade/military/pirate/explorer plot (or lack thereof).
>
> It has a top down display, but unlike Escape Velocity and it's clones, the
> space combat would be turn based (think SSI's Intereceptor). Since it would
> be boring to travel around the solar system in turn-based, I have two
> different ideas for that - one would be the Elite time compression concept
> combined with real time movement, or I could go the "Smugglers 3" route and
> make it abstract. I am leaning to option #1, even tho it is more work.
>
> On the ground, (planets, space stations), the display would change to a
> basic isometric (think indie RPGs like Avernum/Exile) view ... for
> repetitive tasks like trading cargo, ship upgrades, etc rather than have to
> walk around the space station, that could be done via a menu ("Terminal")...
> the walking would mainly be for the RPG/exploration elements or other unique
> activities.
>
> That help?

It's a nice idea, but not what I'm personally looking for something
else.

Good luck with the project
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 9:17:26 PM

Michi Kossowsky wrote:

> Something different actually.
>
> The best way I could define it as would be a turn based blend of Origin's
> Space Rogue and New World Computing's Planet's Edge with Elite First
> Encounter's freeform trade/military/pirate/explorer plot (or lack thereof).
>
> It has a top down display, but unlike Escape Velocity and it's clones, the
> space combat would be turn based (think SSI's Intereceptor). Since it would
> be boring to travel around the solar system in turn-based, I have two
> different ideas for that - one would be the Elite time compression concept
> combined with real time movement, or I could go the "Smugglers 3" route and
> make it abstract. I am leaning to option #1, even tho it is more work.
>
> On the ground, (planets, space stations), the display would change to a
> basic isometric (think indie RPGs like Avernum/Exile) view ... for
> repetitive tasks like trading cargo, ship upgrades, etc rather than have to
> walk around the space station, that could be done via a menu ("Terminal")...
> the walking would mainly be for the RPG/exploration elements or other unique
> activities.

Sounds like a great idea, and there's no reason why it shouldn't work if
the gameplay is there. Of course, there's gonna have to be a ton of
artwork done. I had a similar idea of a game (Trek themed), and here's a
few ideas I've pondered on to make it easier on you:

1) Instead of having to create each ship (interior and exterior) by
hand, use templetes. Let's say you have one ship, the SS
MasterSpaceShip, that's a Exploration-class vessel. You create the
interior layout minus any consoles or other objects and use it as the
master "object". When it comes time to create a new ship of the same
class, you can use this as a base. Then you yourself can set up objects
throughout the decks, or let the player do it after it's purchased new.
Same goes for space stations. Planets, OTOH, I haven't a clue.

2) If the game is going to support clans or groups, consider
implimenting a customizable Chain of Command for each. Not only would it
be useful for businesses, but also any military organizations.

3) Why not use an isometric engine for both space and first/third player
gameplay? Kind of like Starfleet Command when it comes to space. If
space is going to be 2D, then it might be the way to go.

4) To avoid extremely large numbers when it comes to in-game space
coordinates, use a proper coordinate system. One that's used on
text-based space engines involves the use of Quadrants, and that
includes four sections: Alpha, Beta, Delta, and Gamma. Then within each
quadrant, use a "sector" of whatever size you want. Finally, within a
"sector" use a XY position. Since your space engine will only use XY
coords, then it may look something like:

Quadrant: Gamma
Sector: 6:2
X: 10.78
Y: 93.1

5) Teleporters could be an extremely fun toy to play with, and open a
door to exciting gameplay. Knocking one of your enemies shields down to
zero in ship-to-ship combat, then beam onto his vessel and try to take
it over...

6) Jobs. Jobs. Jobs. Give players something to do outside of the
standard fare of "kill this and get a reward" or "trade to get rich".
Not everyone is interested in killing and blowing up stuff. Don't forget
to reward those who explore, interact and learn.

All of it's just my opinion, of course. Braben, are you listening? :)

-Will
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 12:23:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

> If you are going to create a game, what do you plan to use to program the
> game? Or do you plan on using someone's game engine, while you do the story
> line, art, etc?
>
> Also, what are your qualifications? Do you have a degree, experience, etc?
> Have any demo's of your own work?
>
> Let me know.

Out of interest, what are your qualifications? Oh, and if you want to
work with me, you have to be a member of the free masons.
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 4:34:21 AM

"Michi Kossowsky" <michi@no.spam.isdn.net.il> wrote in message

> Group II: (almost all independent developers as far as I can tell, with
the
> exception of Starflight)
> Escape Velocity (Nova)
> Jack of All Trades
> Starflight (sort of...)
> Wazzal

Starflight II more than Starflight I, since the sequel added trade routes.
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 2:25:24 PM

"Shingen" <Shingen@aolsukd.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
hard to learn, and some-what buggy.

> Independence War2 is another one with a very good flight model, but
> the trading system is barter only, and it's pretty much on rails as
> well.

There are mods available which add a full trading system into I-War 2, and
even one that allows trading between players in a multiplayer game.

Go to the fan site www.i-war2.com for details.

Best regards,

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
Senior Designer
Argonaut Sheffield
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 3:43:26 PM

"Kahlil" <kahlil@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> "Michi Kossowsky" <michi@no.spam.isdn.net.il> wrote in message
>

> > Group II: (almost all independent developers as far as I can tell, with
> the
> > exception of Starflight)
> > Escape Velocity (Nova)
> > Jack of All Trades
> > Starflight (sort of...)
> > Wazzal
>

> Starflight II more than Starflight I, since the sequel added trade routes.

Agreed. Two other Indie games that I have found in this catgory are:
Flatspace
Space Empires : Star Fury
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 11:02:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"Michi Kossowsky" <michi@no.spam.isdn.net.il> wrote:
>On the ground, (planets, space stations), the display would change to a
>basic isometric (think indie RPGs like Avernum/Exile) view ... for
>repetitive tasks like trading cargo, ship upgrades, etc rather than have to
>walk around the space station, that could be done via a menu ("Terminal")...
>the walking would mainly be for the RPG/exploration elements or other unique
>activities.

Megatraveller and Megatraveller 2 have that.
--
.-'`-.
/ | | \
/ | | \
|___|_|__ |
||<o>| <o>`|
|| J_ )|
`|`-'__`-'|/
| `--' |
.-| |_
.-' \ / | |`-.
.-' `. /| | \
/ ````' | | \
|_____ | | L
.-' ___ `-. F F | | ||`-.___
.'.-' | `-. `. J J / | || _.>
/ /| | |`. \ | | |/ | ||_.-'
/ / | | | `. `. F F | |==============================
J / | | | \ L J J | | `:::::::. `:::::::.
FJ | | | |L J/ / | \ :::::::. :::::::\
J |() | () | () | () | J L/ | | ::::::: :::::::L
| F | .-'_ \ | | LJ | / L :::::::: :::::::J
| L | / \\ | | | L | | :::::::: ::::::::L
| L || ):|| | | | /| L :::::::: ::::::::|
J | ||:._.'::|| | | |----' | | :::::::: ::::::::| .---.
J | |J:::::::|| | | | _/\ | :::::::: ::::::::| /(@ o`.
LJ | \:::::/ | | | |---'\ | | :::::::: ::::::::| | /^^^
J L | `-:-' | | | F | \ | J :::::::: ::::::::| \ . \vvv
LJ()| () | () | () | F F | \ \--._L :::::::: ::::::::| \ `--'
J \ | | | | J J \ | | :::::::: ::::::::| \ `.
\ \| | | | / / | | | :::::::: ::::::::| L \
\ \ | | |/ /| | | .-'| :::::::: ::::::::| | \
`.`. | | .'.' | | |/ /`L :::::::: ::::::::| | L
| `.`-.____|.-'.-' | | | <`. \ :::::::: ::::::::| | |
| | `-.______.-' | \| |_`::\ `. :::::::: ::::::::| F |
| J\ | | | | /: \::. \:::::::: ::::::::F / |
| L\|--| | _.--|:: `::\ `.:::::: .:::::::J / F
J J |\\|-.____ |__.-' |: \::. \:::: ::::::::F .' J
L \| >|| `--' J |' .`::\ `.:' .::::::::/ .' F
J |//JJ | L |---. .--\::. \---. .---. <---< J
L |< |J |\=/| ( _ \=/ _ `::\ `. \=/ _ \=/ _ \ /
J |\\|J | | / )_) | (_) \::. \ | (_) | (_) | /
\ |--|J |//\\ / //\ //`::\ `./\ //\ / .'
\| |L ` )/ )` `' '|`---// `---// `\::. \ `---// `---' .'
VK________| L_\ ' /___/ ' | |___//______//_____`::\ |___//_________.'_________
F F J`` -'| | | | | \:_|
`-' | "" | J ` |
| | L | |\ |\ /| /| |\ /|
| | \ | | \ | \ // // | \ || |\
J | `. | ||\\ ||\\ // // ||\\ || ||
L F )`---\ || >> || \\ / | << || \\ || ||
| J / `. ||// || || //|| \\ || || || ||
J J ( `-. |// | \ || |/ || \\ | \ || || ||
`-.__/ `---. `. |<< ||\\|| || >> ||\\|| || ||
| J `. ) ||\\ || \ | || // || \ | || ||
/ | `-----' || >> || || || // || || \\ ||
/ F ||// || || || << || || \\||
J J | / |/ || |/ \\ |/ || \ |
J | |/ \| \| \| \|
`-.-' K I N G O F T H E M O N S T E R S
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 11:53:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Comm. Alg <amorris916@aol.com> wrote in article
<794141a2.0407121015.72ba7631@posting.google.com>...

> just have a look see, let me know what you think.
>
> http://starfighter.home.att.net/

I'd heard about it as it was being developed. Glad it actually got made : )

Morgane
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 2:22:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

if you strip 3-D mode you can check some MMORPG games - Merchant Empires -
http://www.advancedpowers.com/
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 3:44:28 AM

<michi@no.spam.isdn.net.il> wrote in message <40f1146d$1_1@127.0.0.1>:

>I am in the early stages of creating a game (how many times have you heard
>that before) in the genre of space trading, fighting, pirate, mercenary,
>missions... blah blah blah.
>
>I am trying to learn from all the games that have already been done in the
>area. If you could help me identify some more, I would appreciate it.
>
>Basically, there are three camps of games that I have identified:
>
>Group II: (almost all independent developers as far as I can tell, with the
>exception of Starflight)

Sundog (Apple II/Atari 800)
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 9:33:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Add 3D gfx and you have EVE Online at www.eve-online.com

"GargoyleBG" <minkov@haskovo.spnet.net> wrote in message
> if you strip 3-D mode you can check some MMORPG games - Merchant Empires -
> http://www.advancedpowers.com/

Anonymous
July 13, 2004 12:54:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:25:01 +0300, "Michi Kossowsky"
<michi@no.spam.isdn.net.il> wrote:

>Group III:
>Smugglers III
>Space Trader (for the Palm)
>
>Any new games that you can add to any category would greatly help me out.
>Also, if you are aware of any turn based games of category '2' (like SSIs
>old Interceptor game, but with trading/missions), I would love to know
>about - since that is the game I am trying to make.

You might want to have a play with Rules of Engagement:

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Rules+of+Eng...

--
Crayfish
Anonymous

"Petter Nilsen" <pettern@thule.no> wrote in message
> Add 3D gfx and you have EVE Online at www.eve-online.com
>
> "GargoyleBG" <minkov@haskovo.spnet.net> wrote in message
> > if you strip 3-D mode you can check some MMORPG games - Merchant
Empires -
> > http://www.advancedpowers.com/

adding 3d gfx will require VISA platinum, otherwise it's free B-)
July 14, 2004 5:13:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:53:30 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
wrote:

>I think you should market a space sim called "Realistic, Real-Time
>Spaceflight to Alpha Centauri" in which the player stares at a blank screen
>until he eventually dies in the hope that perhaps some of his descendants
>will someday see Alpha Centauri. Hell, you could even promise a working
>multi-player mode right out-of-the-box.

Even Derek could code that.
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 5:13:30 PM

On or about 7/14/2004 10:13:29 AM, bp <none@comcast.net> said:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:53:30 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I think you should market a space sim called "Realistic, Real-Time
>>Spaceflight to Alpha Centauri" in which the player stares at a blank screen
>>until he eventually dies in the hope that perhaps some of his descendants
>>will someday see Alpha Centauri. Hell, you could even promise a working
>>multi-player mode right out-of-the-box.
>
> Even Derek could code that.

Some may claim he already did.

Bret

July 14, 2004 11:20:16 PM

"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:53:30 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I think you should market a space sim called "Realistic, Real-Time
> >Spaceflight to Alpha Centauri" in which the player stares at a blank
screen
> >until he eventually dies in the hope that perhaps some of his descendants
> >will someday see Alpha Centauri. Hell, you could even promise a working
> >multi-player mode right out-of-the-box.
>
> Even Derek could code that.

I thought that was what he did code?
Anonymous
July 14, 2004 11:20:48 PM

"Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
> On or about 7/14/2004 10:13:29 AM, bp <none@comcast.net> said:
> > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:53:30 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I think you should market a space sim called "Realistic, Real-Time
> >>Spaceflight to Alpha Centauri" in which the player stares at a blank
screen
> >>until he eventually dies in the hope that perhaps some of his
descendants
> >>will someday see Alpha Centauri. Hell, you could even promise a working
> >>multi-player mode right out-of-the-box.
> >
> > Even Derek could code that.
>
> Some may claim he already did.

Like me, I guess.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 2:27:51 PM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Petter Nilsen <pettern@thule.no> wrote:
> Add 3D gfx and you have EVE Online at www.eve-online.com

You know, I'd love to have a single player version of EVE. "EVE Offline" so
to speak.

--
----
[Insert joke here.] ----

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Andreas Baus <anba@cip123.studcs.uni-sb.de> wrote in

> You know, I'd love to have a single player version of EVE. "EVE
> Offline" so to speak.

Ditto for City of Heroes. It'd be nice to indulge in mindless baddie-
beating every now and then, but it's not important enough for me to pay
$15/month just to have 'other players' running around too.

--
Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction

Andreas Baus <anba@cip123.studcs.uni-sb.de> writes:

> You know, I'd love to have a single player version of EVE. "EVE Offline" so
> to speak.

Freespace?
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 12:37:50 PM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote:
> Andreas Baus <anba@cip123.studcs.uni-sb.de> writes:

>> You know, I'd love to have a single player version of EVE. "EVE Offline" so
>> to speak.

> Freespace?

I don't know what game you played, but the Freespaces that I played were
mission-based and centered purely around space combat (not that that is a
*bad* thing, mind you). No free-form, open ended play, no buying ship upgrades,
no trading, no RPG elements like trainable skills.

If you are however thinking of FreeLANCER, then I have to say that that
game does have some of the latter elements, but unfortunately not nearly
enough depth to really satisfy me. If you ignore the main story (which puts
you back to following a string of missions) you can have the best of
everything within a few hours (best ship, biggest guns, strongest shields)
and blow away anything that dares to cross your path without breaking a
sweat. Trading is simple, and don't even mention the randomly generated
missions, which are a joke in themselves. Typical "dumbed down for the
twitch game console kiddie with short attention span and need for instant
gratification" game design.

--
----
[Insert joke here.] ----
anba@studcs.uni-sb.de (Andreas Baus)
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 4:07:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Andreas Baus <anba@cip123.studcs.uni-sb.de> thought that a good way
to threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the
guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:

> If you are however thinking of FreeLANCER, then I have to say that
> that game does have some of the latter elements, but unfortunately
> not nearly enough depth to really satisfy me. If you ignore the
> main story (which puts you back to following a string of missions)
> you can have the best of everything within a few hours (best ship,
> biggest guns, strongest shields) and blow away anything that dares
> to cross your path without breaking a sweat. Trading is simple,
> and don't even mention the randomly generated missions, which are
> a joke in themselves. Typical "dumbed down for the twitch game
> console kiddie with short attention span and need for instant
> gratification" game design.

How does Freelancer have anything to do with consoles? It was never
even discussed as a port.

It's a much likelier explanation that Microsoft shoved it out the
door since it was so delayed.

--
Ajay Tanwar | MCSE | ajtanwar@spam.yahoo.com
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people

cray@supanet.com (Crayfish) wrote in message news:<40f3a246.1298707793@news.individual.net>...
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 13:25:01 +0300, "Michi Kossowsky"
> <michi@no.spam.isdn.net.il> wrote:
> >
> >Group III:
> >Smugglers III
> >Space Trader (for the Palm)
> >
> >Any new games that you can add to any category would greatly help me out.
> >Also, if you are aware of any turn based games of category '2' (like SSIs
> >old Interceptor game, but with trading/missions), I would love to know
> >about - since that is the game I am trying to make.
>
> You might want to have a play with Rules of Engagement:
>
> http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Rules+of+Eng...

I gave Riftspace a go and it is very good, not the longevity (if thats
the correct spelling) but top notch.

I am now going to give Starwraith a go, its by the same guy (an
independant)

http://www.starwraith.com/

Let me know what you think, or if I get it right maybe see you on
multiplay?
best all

Alg
Anonymous
July 25, 2004 6:36:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

There are many games out there similar to Elite. But there is only one
David Braben, so their is only one Elite. (Actually three, and around mid
2005 it will be four. But you know what I mean.) Elite and Frontier are
the best video games I have ever played. There just is no second place.

Michael
July 25, 2004 10:34:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:36:03 GMT, "Michael Morgan"
<dommstrkc@hotmail.com> wrote:

>There are many games out there similar to Elite. But there is only one
>David Braben, so their is only one Elite. (Actually three, and around mid
>2005 it will be four. But you know what I mean.) Elite and Frontier are
>the best video games I have ever played. There just is no second place.

Mid 2006 according to:
http://frontiernews.alioth.net/index.php?query=&topic=E...
July 25, 2004 8:33:12 PM

Andrew wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:36:03 GMT, "Michael Morgan"
> <dommstrkc@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>There are many games out there similar to Elite. But there is only one
>>David Braben, so their is only one Elite. (Actually three, and around mid
>>2005 it will be four. But you know what I mean.) Elite and Frontier are
>>the best video games I have ever played. There just is no second place.
>
> Mid 2006 according to:
> http://frontiernews.alioth.net/index.php?query=&topic=E...

It's only mid 2006, because the past estimate of mid 2004 flew by. :-)
July 26, 2004 1:35:43 AM

Michael Morgan wrote:
> There are many games out there similar to Elite. But there is only
> one David Braben, so their is only one Elite. (Actually three, and
> around mid 2005 it will be four. But you know what I mean.) Elite
> and Frontier are the best video games I have ever played. There just
> is no second place.
>
> Michael

Here here :-)

Steve

--
www.frontierastro.co.uk

FrontierAstro - dedicated to Frontier and Astronomy
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 6:24:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

A thousand monkeys banging on keyboards posted the following under the
name "Steve" <fdkjhgds@fdghsdjhgf.net>:

>Michael Morgan wrote:
>> There are many games out there similar to Elite. But there is only
>> one David Braben, so their is only one Elite. (Actually three, and
>> around mid 2005 it will be four. But you know what I mean.) Elite
>> and Frontier are the best video games I have ever played. There just
>> is no second place.
>>
>> Michael
>
>Here here :-)

Pet peeve: it's "hear hear".

Second pet peeve: Star Control 2 was better, in its different way. :-)

--

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

Bertrand Russell
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 2:49:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

In message <irq8g0lqbu96rn8rs4ccbllmcttqf2skt4@4ax.com>
Ben Sisson <ilkhanikeDIESPAM@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> A thousand monkeys banging on keyboards posted the following under the
> name "Steve" <fdkjhgds@fdghsdjhgf.net>:
>
> >Michael Morgan wrote:
> >> There are many games out there similar to Elite. But there is only
> >> one David Braben, so their is only one Elite. (Actually three, and
> >> around mid 2005 it will be four. But you know what I mean.) Elite
> >> and Frontier are the best video games I have ever played. There just
> >> is no second place.
> >>
> >> Michael
> >
> >Here here :-)
>
> Pet peeve: it's "hear hear".
>
> Second pet peeve: Star Control 2 was better, in its different way. :-)

Not really comparable to Elite (having a time limit and not being open
ended), but nonetheless a fantastically good game (3DO version).
I take it you are aware of the remake?
Cheers!
--
Graham
The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk

Ben Sisson wrote:
> A thousand monkeys banging on keyboards posted the following under the
> name "Steve" <fdkjhgds@fdghsdjhgf.net>:
>
>> Michael Morgan wrote:
>>> There are many games out there similar to Elite. But there is only
>>> one David Braben, so their is only one Elite. (Actually three, and
>>> around mid 2005 it will be four. But you know what I mean.) Elite
>>> and Frontier are the best video games I have ever played. There
>>> just is no second place.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>
>> Here here :-)
>
> Pet peeve: it's "hear hear".

Where? Where?

Ok, I think this joke *has* been done a thousand times before lol

Steve

--
www.frontierastro.co.uk

FrontierAstro - dedicated to Frontier and Astronomy
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:16:51 AM

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:07:41 GMT, Ajay Tanwar <ajtanwar@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Andreas Baus <anba@cip123.studcs.uni-sb.de> thought that a good way
> to threaten somebody was to light a stick of dynamite, then call the
> guy and hold the burning fuse up to the phone and say:
>
>> If you are however thinking of FreeLANCER, then I have to say that
>> that game does have some of the latter elements, but unfortunately
>> not nearly enough depth to really satisfy me. If you ignore the
>> main story (which puts you back to following a string of missions)
>> you can have the best of everything within a few hours (best ship,
>> biggest guns, strongest shields) and blow away anything that dares
>> to cross your path without breaking a sweat. Trading is simple,
>> and don't even mention the randomly generated missions, which are
>> a joke in themselves. Typical "dumbed down for the twitch game
>> console kiddie with short attention span and need for instant
>> gratification" game design.
>
> How does Freelancer have anything to do with consoles? It was never
> even discussed as a port.

Uhm... Actually, Microsoft bought or financed Digital Anvil to develop
Freelancer to showcase the X-Box. Last time I checked the X-Box was still
a console.

Oh, and Freelancer was released for the X-Box before they released the
PC-version.

> It's a much likelier explanation that Microsoft shoved it out the
> door since it was so delayed.
August 5, 2004 10:10:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

> Any new games that you can add to any category would greatly help me out.
> Also, if you are aware of any turn based games of category '2' (like SSIs
> old Interceptor game, but with trading/missions), I would love to know
> about - since that is the game I am trying to make.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

I don't what category to put it in, but at the time of the original
Elite there was also the space sim Omnitrend's Universe that I played
on an Apple IIc circa 1984.

Info on Omnitrend's Universe:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/maury/games/space/universe.htm...
Anonymous
August 7, 2004 11:17:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

> I gave Riftspace a go and it is very good, not the longevity (if thats
> the correct spelling) but top notch.
>
> I am now going to give Starwraith a go, its by the same guy (an
> independant)
>
> http://www.starwraith.com/
>
> Let me know what you think, or if I get it right maybe see you on
> multiplay?
> best all
>
> Alg

I think I am right to say that with most internet/multiplay games you
have to do a monthly subscription?

Not only is Starwraith a good game (and costs £10ish), but it also has
a multiplay feature included at NO extra cost.

Because this is hosted on the pc of the initiating player there are no
servers and thier associated costs.

Also because the guy who wrote this is an indi he likes to play, and
likes others to, to.

I just had a hell of a 2 hour dogfight with him. (he is a good pilot
and a great guy, but is he as good as an old ELITE pilot?)

I have, over the years built up an idea of you guys (by looking at
posts, Jades site, Andys Ramones rambles etc.) as I am sure you have
of each other, however what I would really like to do is fly with
other Elite Commanders on missions, or test my skills against them in
a dog fight, ie blast the begorras out of you.

Heres my problem.

Not enough Starwraith pilots in the UK, well OK I used to stay up
playing Elite till the early hours, however nowerdays I have a
wonderful girlfriend and would like to keep her.

So, I am posting this to see if you guys/gals are interested in flying
whilst we await 4?

I hope that you dont see this as an ad. its NOT, I just have some time
on my hands and want to fly in combat.

"Aint that a thing!"
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 12:00:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.elite,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Don't forget Independece War 2 - Edge of Chaos, it has probably most
realistic physics model and combat is also very well done. I just hope
that Elite 4 will be like FE2 with I-War2 physics and graphics and
role-playing elements from SW:KOTOR and then Elite: The Dark Wheel
finaly comes alive.
!