Star trek online game ideas?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 17, 2004 4:01:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Here is my idea on an online star trek game:

Starts out you choose the race from the big ones and maybe some minor ones.
Then after that you go through each races school like star fleet academy
type thing. Their u choose what you wanan do and work on it thier geting
your skills and stuff to at least basic levels. Once you graduate you move
on to a ship. Now Here is were my mental block goes. I would want players
to command starships but do we make them the ocmmand crew with the best one
as the captain or what? Do we let ships leave dock when all the players are
not online? DUnno give ideas lol
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 11:59:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Greetings...

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:01:50 -0500, "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote:

>Here is my idea on an online star trek game:
>
>Starts out you choose the race from the big ones and maybe some minor ones.
>Then after that you go through each races school like star fleet academy
>type thing. Their u choose what you wanan do and work on it thier geting
>your skills and stuff to at least basic levels. Once you graduate you move
>on to a ship. Now Here is were my mental block goes. I would want players
>to command starships but do we make them the ocmmand crew with the best one
>as the captain or what? Do we let ships leave dock when all the players are
>not online? DUnno give ideas lol

Hmm.... The idea has some merit...

Obviously there would be many ships in each StarFleet. Many players would serve on the
same ship - but no one player would ever actually be the captain. That would have to be a
scripted job. When you log in, you are in your quarters..

Players would have to "compete" with each other to follow and get promoted through carreer
paths. In other words - If you are not online or cannot complete your "watch" duty - say
at navigation, or at ops, or on the sensor controls, or whatever, you "lose" or perhaps
simply don't "gain" carreer points. Every "Watch" you complete the more points you get,
the more responsibility you get..

Eventually you get promoted to the position of a team leader. You now have the ability to
assign other "players" to duties. You can go on away missions. You get to work on the
"important" stuff.

It's not just an adventure game it's a JOB!!!

One big eye candy fest with absolutely NO game in the box!!! Move about the ship, order
stuff from replicators, do what you are told and give orders to underlings...

One big happy scripted mission based pile of drooling raving lunacy! It should do well!
You'll probably sell a million copies! At least!

You don't really believe that ANY multiplayer game could possibly work that relied on
many people from all over the world to sign on as crew and operate various controls on a
single ship could actually work do you?

ll
Kanda'

<>SPAM-KILLER<>- If you really want to contact me, then -
kandaje<at>bresnan<dot>net

You figure it out...
Anonymous
July 18, 2004 7:40:55 PM

"Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
> Here is my idea on an online star trek game:

> Starts out you choose the race from the big ones and maybe some minor
ones.
> Then after that you go through each races school like star fleet
academy
> type thing. Their u choose what you wanan do and work on it thier
geting
> your skills and stuff to at least basic levels. Once you graduate you
move
> on to a ship. Now Here is were my mental block goes. I would want
players
> to command starships but do we make them the ocmmand crew with the
best one
> as the captain or what? Do we let ships leave dock when all the
players are
> not online? DUnno give ideas lol

Star Trek, by itself, makes a lousy setting for MMORPG since there's
no "setting" for people to interact in, unless you want to do holodeck.

You can't "group" in Star Trek since you don't have small ships (even
the
Defiant has crew of like 60, though skeleton crew is like 24), esp. when
you deal with Starfleet. Then who decides what to do with the ship which
is Starfleet property?

Star Wars is easier since everybody's mainly civilians (albeit heavily
armed ones). You just don't deal with the Empire that much unless you
WANT to.

What you need to do is forget the Academy and all that. You have to
set the game in the CIVILIAN universe, like Wing Commander:p rivateer.
Fight pirates, raiders or rogues, space monsters, etc. Upgrade to larger
ships and such, hire crew to help when you get larger ships, so on and
so forth. Leave Starfleet and such in the background. They may be the
enforcers (who may actually arrive in time to chase away pirates!) of
law
and so on, but you don't actually play them.

--KC
!