Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help viewing a list of hidden files

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 12, 2012 9:37:29 AM

Hey Guys,
I need to find a way to view all the hidden files in a particular directory. The problem is I cant find them just by enabling the show hidden files option in Win7 'cause they're all scattered.
It would be great help if ANYONE could guide me(I'm a noob when it comes to cmd) view the files; they are extremely important!!
June 12, 2012 9:57:09 AM

Off the top of my head: if you've already enabled show hidden files, do a wildcard search - *.(filetype), without the parentheses on the drive your searching
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 10:02:29 AM

download and install xplorer2 lite. a freeware that will show you everything your naked eye can't see.

-ed
m
0
l
Related resources
June 12, 2012 11:38:42 AM

shadow71 said:
Off the top of my head: if you've already enabled show hidden files, do a wildcard search - *.(filetype), without the parentheses on the drive your searching

I've tried that, hasn't helped out much. I wanted something that could provide me with the full list, irrespective of the show hidden folder option being enabled....
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2012 12:07:44 PM

Are these 'hidden files' ones you've hidden yourself?
Or are they the usual system hidden files?
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 6:52:03 AM

WR2 said:
Are these 'hidden files' ones you've hidden yourself?
Or are they the usual system hidden files?

They are the files that I've hidden....
I just don't remember exactly where i put them and it really is frustrating 'cause I need them most now.....
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 7:10:49 AM

aaron_s said:
They are the files that I've hidden....
I just don't remember exactly where i put them and it really is frustrating 'cause I need them most now.....


have you tried xplorer2 lite? just install and run it then it will show everything inside your pc.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 9:19:39 AM

howdy2028 said:
have you tried xplorer2 lite? just install and run it then it will show everything inside your pc.

yes, I've tried it, I've managed to find some...
but, I really want something that can ONLY SHOW me the hidden files and folders
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 13, 2012 9:26:05 AM

Nothing I know of can do that.

Do you know the type of file, and the approximate date created? You can search and sort by type across a whole drive.
m
0
l

Best solution

June 14, 2012 12:45:16 AM

try this:

in folder option, enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
in your Explorer search box type "attributes:2" (without the quotes).
This will search the entire tree for all files marked hidden.
The number "2" is a number representation of the file attribute "hidden".
Share
June 14, 2012 3:31:09 PM

howdy2028 said:
try this:

in folder option, enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
in your Explorer search box type "attributes:2" (without the quotes).
This will search the entire tree for all files marked hidden.
The number "2" is a number representation of the file attribute "hidden".

Tried it, bad luck...
At first, I could see some along with the normal files(the one's that haven't been hidden)
but then later on nothing seems to come up........
P.S: when i type in attributes, it seems to get highlighted with blue, is that normal?
m
0
l
June 24, 2012 11:57:42 AM

Best answer selected by aaron_s.
m
0
l
!