Solved

Help viewing a list of hidden files

Hey Guys,
I need to find a way to view all the hidden files in a particular directory. The problem is I cant find them just by enabling the show hidden files option in Win7 'cause they're all scattered.
It would be great help if ANYONE could guide me(I'm a noob when it comes to cmd) view the files; they are extremely important!!
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help viewing list hidden files
  1. Off the top of my head: if you've already enabled show hidden files, do a wildcard search - *.(filetype), without the parentheses on the drive your searching
  2. download and install xplorer2 lite. a freeware that will show you everything your naked eye can't see.

-ed
  3. shadow71 said:
    Off the top of my head: if you've already enabled show hidden files, do a wildcard search - *.(filetype), without the parentheses on the drive your searching

I've tried that, hasn't helped out much. I wanted something that could provide me with the full list, irrespective of the show hidden folder option being enabled....
  4. Are these 'hidden files' ones you've hidden yourself?
    Or are they the usual system hidden files?
  5. WR2 said:
    Are these 'hidden files' ones you've hidden yourself?
    Or are they the usual system hidden files?

They are the files that I've hidden....
    I just don't remember exactly where i put them and it really is frustrating 'cause I need them most now.....
  6. aaron_s said:
    They are the files that I've hidden....
    I just don't remember exactly where i put them and it really is frustrating 'cause I need them most now.....

have you tried xplorer2 lite? just install and run it then it will show everything inside your pc.
  7. howdy2028 said:
    have you tried xplorer2 lite? just install and run it then it will show everything inside your pc.

yes, I've tried it, I've managed to find some...
    but, I really want something that can ONLY SHOW me the hidden files and folders
  8. Nothing I know of can do that.

Do you know the type of file, and the approximate date created? You can search and sort by type across a whole drive.
  9. Best answer
    try this:

in folder option, enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
    in your Explorer search box type "attributes:2" (without the quotes).
    This will search the entire tree for all files marked hidden.
    The number "2" is a number representation of the file attribute "hidden".
  10. howdy2028 said:
    try this:

in folder option, enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
    in your Explorer search box type "attributes:2" (without the quotes).
    This will search the entire tree for all files marked hidden.
    The number "2" is a number representation of the file attribute "hidden".

Tried it, bad luck...
    At first, I could see some along with the normal files(the one's that haven't been hidden)
    but then later on nothing seems to come up........
    P.S: when i type in attributes, it seems to get highlighted with blue, is that normal?
  11. Best answer selected by aaron_s.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hidden Files Command Prompt Windows 7