Soltek 75DRV4 MB problem....Power Supply ?!!?

Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
Please Help!!! Has anyone ran into this problem before?!!? I just finished putting a computer together and it will not turn on. The motherboard is a Soltek SL-75DRV4. I've double checked all the connections at the "complex header" several times and it doesn't seem to be the problem. What I have noticed is that when I am removing or installing the atx power supply connector to the motherboard and I remove or install it at an angle the system will attempt to power up. In other words when one of the pins on the left hand side of the connector is NOT making contact the system will power up. It will do this irregardless of the position of the main power button on the case. It will also do it regardless if the reset switch or power switch connectors are connected to the complex header. I have taken most of the components out of the system to try and isolate the problem to no avail. I have left the CPU and the hard drive to serve as a load. I'm baffled.... I did try replacing the Power Supply with an older one and it acted the same way. The power supply that is being used is a Codegen 450W model 300X1 atx 2.03 (P4) unit. Is this the problem? Could it be only compatible with P4 processors? I think I found a link somewhere that indicated it would work for both AMD and P4's. I realize (after reading Tom's review) that this is not a well built unit but I would like to be certain that it is not something else before I run out and buy another one. I'm going nuts...Thanks for all your help.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm... i would hazard a guess that one of the connectors in the main mobo power connector is slightly loose or broken.
The psu can be turned on by wiring up the green line to any black one... maybe something is shorting the green line when you plug it into the mobo connector.

also, make sure your power button connector is firmly attached and the right way around!

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.

Stephan

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
Yes, I jumpered the green and black wires on the atx connector and indeed the P/S comes on..... Maybe a faulty M/B then?!!? All of the contacts on the M/B header look good.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
probably yes.
another option would be to put a small bit of wire down inside the green connector hole... try to make a proper contact if there is a problem with the connector in there.

this obviously has risks though, as it might be very ahrd to get the bit of wire out or damage the socket.

probably the best thing to do is to RMA the board.

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.