Centrino wireless-n 2200 connects to B/G but not N

jarredd

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Hello, I just bought a new laptop with the Centrino Wireless-N 2200 card. I have a Linksys WRT610 dualband router which simultaneously sends out a 2.4 and 5.0 ghz frequencies.

My laptop will detect my non-broadcasting wireless G network when I type it in. However, it does not "see" my wireless N Band signal that is broadcasting, even if I manually type it in.

My wife's Ipad finds it just fine, just can't figure out why my laptops cannot. Any ideas?

Solution
For 5GHZ band you need a card that supports that. The Intel Centrino Wireless N-2200 doesnt support 5GHz.

@ jarredd - You wont beable to connect to the N since that one is on the 5Ghz side. You will have to switch the G to a N in the router or run in a mix mode. There are 2 N's one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz. You need the 2.4GHz. Your Wifes Ipod has built in capatiablity for both.
WRT610NWireless_zpsb55b885e.png

Kitman164 - same as above but for the speed part. That is the speed that you can possible achieve. To do this you need to make sure that your computer wireless card is set to 40Mhz and your router is set to only 40MHz. But remember that doing this might make...

kitman164

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013
I'm having the very same problem, see details below:-

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Z580 laptop running Windows 8 with an Intel Centrino Wireless N-2200 network adapter with the latest driver(s) installed, it's connected via wifi to an Apple Airport Express (2nd gen.) dual band router, 2.4GHZ and 5.0GHz which in effect gives me two networks.

One network I named "Airport network" and the other I named "Airport network 5GHZ"

The following devices can see and list both networks, my Samsung Smart TV, my iPad, my Apple TV, my Dell All-in-One, BUT NOT MY LAPTOP, when I click on the wifi icon in the notification tray the only network listed is "Airport network" plus any other networks in the vicinity, BUT NOT THE 5GHz NETWORK.

I went to the Intel website to find the specs on the N-2200 and it says it only supports the 2.4GHZ band but it also says that you can get up to 300Mbps speed, I can only get 144Mbps.

Why can all of my other wifi devices see both networks but not my laptop, help please.

Doug Coles
kitman164@gmail.com

joma90

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
For 5GHZ band you need a card that supports that. The Intel Centrino Wireless N-2200 doesnt support 5GHz.

@ jarredd - You wont beable to connect to the N since that one is on the 5Ghz side. You will have to switch the G to a N in the router or run in a mix mode. There are 2 N's one for 2.4GHz and one for 5GHz. You need the 2.4GHz. Your Wifes Ipod has built in capatiablity for both.
WRT610NWireless_zpsb55b885e.png

Kitman164 - same as above but for the speed part. That is the speed that you can possible achieve. To do this you need to make sure that your computer wireless card is set to 40Mhz and your router is set to only 40MHz. But remember that doing this might make issue with other devices since not all devices support 40MHz and there have been know times where it does worse the 20MHz, just depends whats around you i would assume. To do this on your computer you need to make the changes in the device manager. to get there follow this directions first "http://tinyurl.com/chocl52", once your there look for Network Adapters and open it. Next find the Intel Centrino N-2000 and right click and go to properties. You will see an advance tab, click on it and the look for "802.11N Channel Width for band 2.4, Make sure its not set to 20MHz only. As for the Airport i would not know if the unit has the support for it. you would have to investigate on your own or ask someone who knows them well like apple lol. But even if you do this you will still not reach 300mbs and the reason while in simple terms is there's data taking up space already to send to you call overhead. and when you lose data when transferring the computer will request it. You don't even notice any of this but its all happening.

Solution

jarredd

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
@Joma--- Thank you so much for the tip. I apologize for my delayed response. I'll take a look at that. I currently have 2.4ghz set for B/G....it may be best if I just leave it that way. I was thinking this card could do the 5.8, I guess I was thinking that wireless-N was only 5.8. my mistake. Thanks again for the input and the image! It's very helpful. I hadnt' thought about the 40Mhz vs 20Mhz I see you mentioned to Kitman. My G is at 20Mhz and I can't change that unless I switch it to N. Maybe I'll try switching it to mixed and see what happens. Thanks again!