UC Worth Buying?

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

I realise this may not be the place to ask but....

The BC series has also intrigued me but the seemingly buggy nature of them
has put me off until now.
So is UC a good open ended, complex type space sim and worth buying or not?
Is there a campaign or is it an Eliteish do what you want game

TIA
Rob

And I'm not too interested in hearing all about DS and his follies <g>, I
honestly dont care

"rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> I realise this may not be the place to ask but....
>
> The BC series has also intrigued me but the seemingly buggy nature of them
> has put me off until now.
> So is UC a good open ended, complex type space sim and worth buying or
not?
> Is there a campaign or is it an Eliteish do what you want game
>
> TIA
> Rob
>
> And I'm not too interested in hearing all about DS and his follies <g>, I
> honestly dont care

Rob,

I would suggest Starshatter if you are just looking for combat. It has a
dynamic campaign and you get to fly both fighters and capital ships. I have
just started playing it but it is very good so far.

Allan

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:02:30 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>I realise this may not be the place to ask but....

Why not? Some of us are quite sensible.

>The BC series has also intrigued me but the seemingly buggy nature of them
>has put me off until now.

I can only go by my own experiences, but UC is fine, very stable.

>So is UC a good open ended, complex type space sim and worth buying or not?

It's open ended (in Roam mode), and it's very (most would say
"overly") complex.

>Is there a campaign or is it an Eliteish do what you want game

It's both. You can choose. I can't speak for the Campaign mode though
I've never played it.

>TIA
>Rob
>
>And I'm not too interested in hearing all about DS and his follies <g>, I
>honestly dont care

Spoil sport.

Seriously though Rob, it's cheap enough and there's lots to do, so why
not? Slow start though, and steep learning curve, don't buy it if you
like something you can glance at the manual and then play, UC needs
time.

br d

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:13:57 +0100, br d
<misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>Seriously though Rob, it's cheap enough and there's lots to do, so why
>not? Slow start though, and steep learning curve, don't buy it if you
>like something you can glance at the manual and then play, UC needs
>time.
>
>br d

I have UC but the command interface just turns me off. Give us a run
down of what you do in an open ended game that actually has some point
to it. X2-The threat is a better game IMO.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:32:46 -0700, Mark Steen <mark@no.email> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:13:57 +0100, br d
><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Seriously though Rob, it's cheap enough and there's lots to do, so why
>>not? Slow start though, and steep learning curve, don't buy it if you
>>like something you can glance at the manual and then play, UC needs
>>time.
>>
>>br d
>
>I have UC but the command interface just turns me off. Give us a run
>down of what you do in an open ended game that actually has some point
>to it. X2-The threat is a better game IMO.

Whatever I want. The whole point of free-form is that there isn't a
point. There are objectives you can set yourself - capture stations,
attack ground targets, jump into different systems in a fighter and
try to take out all enemy ships, take shuttle runs and try to make
mega money - that sort of stuff, and all the time looking to increase
EP's and rank. But none of this has to be done and none of it is
necessarily going to open up any new doors in the game, it's just
wandering around doing what you feel. I try to achieve Fleet command
so I can plan bigger battle scenarios and generally feel like I'm
making progress, but I'm not looking to achieve specific goals or
reach any conclusions. Perhaps other people expect more from
open-ended play but I don't, if I want specific
means-to-an-end/there-has-to-be-a-point gameplay then I'll go with
something mission or level based. The first game I ever played
properly was Elite, and after achieving a reasonable rank I just
played it for months, enjoying the shuffling about just for the
shuffling about in itself. I suppose I've always looked for a game
that can recreate that feeling and UC (BC) in Roam mode is the nearest
I've come to it in a space-sim (Morrowind was much the same, in
whatever game style Morrowind is).

I've been messing about with BC titles for 8 years, hundreds of hours
of play, and I've never even once loaded up the Campaign, it just
doesn't interest me. I'd no doubt have all the same complaints about
the game as everybody else if I played it scripted, so perhaps it's
not the game in itself that I like, rather the ability to lose myself
in a seemingly real, unpredictable and ongoing universe. I don't
really like games that want me to do this, then that, then the other,
I always just want to sod off and have a poke around.

There you go Mark, don't know if that helps. I suspect I was talking
to myself there mainly.

br d

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:23:40 +0100, br d
<misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>There you go Mark, don't know if that helps. I suspect I was talking
>to myself there mainly.
>
>br d

Hehe,um, yea. UC in roam mode has no scope at all. Land on a planet
and nothing happens. All the entities are just random and have no
objectives - it's not for me anyway.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:10:34 -0700, Mark Steen <mark@no.email> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:23:40 +0100, br d
><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>There you go Mark, don't know if that helps. I suspect I was talking
>>to myself there mainly.
>>
>>br d
>>

>Hehe,um, yea. UC in roam mode has no scope at all. Land on a planet
>and nothing happens. All the entities are just random and have no
>objectives

Erm...yes, they are random. It wouldn't be very unpredictable if the
entities were non-random would it?

>it's not for me anyway.

No prob. But why ask me "for a run down of what I do" if you're not
even interested? I'm a busy man.

As for X², I found it boring beyond belief, and not at all immersive.
Different strokes I suppose.

br d

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:54:08 +0100, br d
<misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>Erm...yes, they are random. It wouldn't be very unpredictable if the
>entities were non-random would it?

Look at F4.0 to see an example of a dynamic campaign with a real
purpose. Random does not equal dynamic.

>No prob. But why ask me "for a run down of what I do" if you're not
>even interested? I'm a busy man.

Just for the hell of it.

>As for X², I found it boring beyond belief, and not at all immersive.

And UC is. Bollocks.

XaN

"br d" <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> Erm...yes, they are random. It wouldn't be very unpredictable if the
> entities were non-random would it?

Sure it could. How many times have you been surprised in real life(tm) by
something you thought you knew? [Neener neener!]

> As for X², I found it boring beyond belief, and not at all immersive.
> Different strokes I suppose.

....But jetpacking down onto a building only to fall through the roof -is-
immersive I suppose. =)

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:54:08 +0100, br d
<misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:10:34 -0700, Mark Steen <mark@no.email> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:23:40 +0100, br d
>><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>There you go Mark, don't know if that helps. I suspect I was talking
>>>to myself there mainly.
>>>
>>>br d
>>>

>>Hehe,um, yea. UC in roam mode has no scope at all. Land on a planet
>>and nothing happens. All the entities are just random and have no
>>objectives
>
>Erm...yes, they are random. It wouldn't be very unpredictable if the
>entities were non-random would it?

You can have deterministic events and still be interesting. If the
universe was truly persistent, for example, then you could have the
different entities in the game interacting with one another while you
are off doing something else, and when you return, voila, everything
has changed.

>>it's not for me anyway.
>
>No prob. But why ask me "for a run down of what I do" if you're not
>even interested? I'm a busy man.

Why would anyone ask what you do? I thought everyone knew you are a
burglar, and we all know what burglars do.

>As for X², I found it boring beyond belief, and not at all immersive.
>Different strokes I suppose.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:40:24 +0100, Lemming
<thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:54:08 +0100, br d
><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:10:34 -0700, Mark Steen <mark@no.email> wrote:

>>>Hehe,um, yea. UC in roam mode has no scope at all. Land on a planet
>>>and nothing happens. All the entities are just random and have no
>>>objectives
>>
>>Erm...yes, they are random. It wouldn't be very unpredictable if the
>>entities were non-random would it?
>
>You can have deterministic events and still be interesting. If the
>universe was truly persistent, for example, then you could have the
>different entities in the game interacting with one another while you
>are off doing something else, and when you return, voila, everything
>has changed.

And you can have non-deterministic events interacting and creating
dynamic histories, this is what UC does. I have no idea whether it
does it well or not, but loading the same save games will render
different results leading to different scenarios.
Anyway, I don't wish to get too embroiled in a technical debate about
the nuances of the games deterministic, or non-deterministic event
lines, and their effect on causal and non-causal story development,
because you're a twat.

>>>it's not for me anyway.
>>
>>No prob. But why ask me "for a run down of what I do" if you're not
>>even interested? I'm a busy man.
>
>Why would anyone ask what you do? I thought everyone knew you are a
>burglar, and we all know what burglars do.

I bet you're one of these saps who hides the spare key in the plant
pot aren't you? Or just inside the gutter on the garage. I could be in
your place inside 2 minutes, and I would too, if you had anything
worth stealing.

>>As for X², I found it boring beyond belief, and not at all immersive.
>>Different strokes I suppose.
>
>Lemming

br d

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:19:47 -0700, Mark Steen <mark@no.email> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:54:08 +0100, br d
><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Erm...yes, they are random. It wouldn't be very unpredictable if the
>>entities were non-random would it?
>
>Look at F4.0 to see an example of a dynamic campaign with a real
>purpose. Random does not equal dynamic.

Can't be bothered. F4.0 is bollocks.

>>No prob. But why ask me "for a run down of what I do" if you're not
>>even interested? I'm a busy man.
>
>Just for the hell of it.

You just don't care do you? Scary.

>>As for X², I found it boring beyond belief, and not at all immersive.
>
>And UC is. Bollocks.

I can't parse this.

br d

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:28:43 +0100, br d
<misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:19:47 -0700, Mark Steen <mark@no.email> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:54:08 +0100, br d
>><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>Erm...yes, they are random. It wouldn't be very unpredictable if the
>>>entities were non-random would it?
>>
>>Look at F4.0 to see an example of a dynamic campaign with a real
>>purpose. Random does not equal dynamic.
>
>Can't be bothered. F4.0 is bollocks.

What is. F4.0.

>>>No prob. But why ask me "for a run down of what I do" if you're not
>>>even interested? I'm a busy man.
>>
>>Just for the hell of it.
>
>You just don't care do you? Scary.

Scary is as. Scary. Does.

>>>As for X², I found it boring beyond belief, and not at all immersive.
>>
>>And UC is. Bollocks.
>
>I can't parse this.

Don't Parse. Random Sentences. Better than. Anything.

Lemming
--

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:02:30 +1200, "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Seriously though Rob, it's cheap enough and there's lots to do, so why
> not? Slow start though, and steep learning curve, don't buy it if you
> like something you can glance at the manual and then play, UC needs
> time.
>
> br d

Cheers for that, it does sound like what I'm after. Its just that I would
have to order it from overseas so with shipping its costs more than a full
price game.

"Allan Parent" <allanp@nospam for me123@charter.net> wrote in message

> "rob" <roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> > I realise this may not be the place to ask but....
> >
> > The BC series has also intrigued me but the seemingly buggy nature of
them
> > has put me off until now.
> > So is UC a good open ended, complex type space sim and worth buying or
> not?
> > Is there a campaign or is it an Eliteish do what you want game
> >
> > TIA
> > Rob
> >
> > And I'm not too interested in hearing all about DS and his follies <g>,
> > honestly dont care
>
> Rob,
>
> I would suggest Starshatter if you are just looking for combat. It has a
> dynamic campaign and you get to fly both fighters and capital ships. I
have
> just started playing it but it is very good so far.
>
> Allan

Hehe, just waiting for the boxed version

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On or about 7/28/2004 1:07:36 PM, Lemming
<thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> said:

> Alternative we *could* go native and dine instead on Jellied Eels and
> Lager.

I was treated to Jellied Eels a few years ago: I thought my brother-in-law
said "Jelly Deals", and thinking they were probably something like Jelly
Babies I naively accepted.

Bret

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:40:24 +0100, Lemming
> <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:54:08 +0100, br d
> ><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

> >>Erm...yes, they are random. It wouldn't be very unpredictable if the
> >>entities were non-random would it?
> >
> >You can have deterministic events and still be interesting. If the
> >universe was truly persistent, for example, then you could have the
> >different entities in the game interacting with one another while you
> >are off doing something else, and when you return, voila, everything
> >has changed.
>
> And you can have non-deterministic events interacting and creating
> dynamic histories, this is what UC does. I have no idea whether it
> does it well or not, but loading the same save games will render
> different results leading to different scenarios.
> Anyway, I don't wish to get too embroiled in a technical debate about
> the nuances of the games deterministic, or non-deterministic event
> lines, and their effect on causal and non-causal story development,
> because you're a twat.

> >>No prob. But why ask me "for a run down of what I do" if you're not
> >>even interested? I'm a busy man.
> >
> >Why would anyone ask what you do? I thought everyone knew you are a
> >burglar, and we all know what burglars do.
>
> I bet you're one of these saps who hides the spare key in the plant
> pot aren't you? Or just inside the gutter on the garage. I could be in
> your place inside 2 minutes, and I would too, if you had anything
> worth stealing.

Well don't come to my house because I just rebuilt my patio and I don't want
anyone stealing it. My patio is made from strings stretched between trees
and my camping trailer with shopping bags tied on it. If you do want to
steal it then only take the shopping bags because if Derek doesn't let me
wash his car again then I won't be able to afford new string.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:53:41 +0100, Lemming
<thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:28:43 +0100, br d
><misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:19:47 -0700, Mark Steen <mark@no.email> wrote:

>>>Look at F4.0 to see an example of a dynamic campaign with a real
>>>purpose. Random does not equal dynamic.
>>
>>Can't be bothered. F4.0 is bollocks.
>
>What is. F4.0.

>>>Just for the hell of it.
>>
>>You just don't care do you? Scary.
>
>Scary is as. Scary. Does.

>>>And UC is. Bollocks.
>>
>>I can't parse this.
>
>Don't Parse. Random Sentences. Better than. Anything.
>
>Lemming

br. d.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:28:43 +0100, br d
<misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:

>>And UC is. Bollocks.
>
>I can't parse this.
>
>br d

You just need to guess where the question mark goes. I know it's real
hard for you but you can do it if you really try.

On or about 7/28/2004 3:34:14 PM, Mark Steen <mark@no.email> said:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:28:43 +0100, br d
> <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>>And UC is. Bollocks.
>>
>>I can't parse this.
>>
>>br d
>
> You just need to guess where the question mark goes. I know it's real
> hard for you but you can do it if you really try.

I have. A suggestion where the question mark should go? But you might walk.
Kind of funny afterwards.

Bret

XaN

"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'll have a chat with my contacts Oop North and have some
> biked down in time for Saturday, *then* we'll see who can hold their
> Long John Silver.

....And who can hold their own. =)

// Xan, Ph.D.
// You play like a girl!

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 16:08:16 GMT, "Xan" <me@1.com> wrote:

>"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I'll have a chat with my contacts Oop North and have some
>> biked down in time for Saturday, *then* we'll see who can hold their
>> Long John Silver.
>
>...And who can hold their own. =)

I hear you are coming to the party on Saturday too, Zan. I'm not
quite sure what Cyborgs drink. If we get in a couple of cases of
Duckhams Extra, will that be enough?

>// Xan, Ph.D.
>// You play like a girl!

You know you love it.

Lemming
--

> I hear you are coming to the party on Saturday too, Zan. I'm not
> quite sure what Cyborgs drink. If we get in a couple of cases of
> Duckhams Extra, will that be enough?

I am not a cyborg. I am a machine. I have no mouth. All I will require is 5
liters of motor oil.

> You know you love it.

Yes. It makes my job easier.

// Xan. Ph. D.
// I worship His Shadow.

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:22:48 GMT, "Xan" <me@1.com> wrote:

>"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I hear you are coming to the party on Saturday too, Zan. I'm not
>> quite sure what Cyborgs drink. If we get in a couple of cases of
>> Duckhams Extra, will that be enough?
>
>I am not a cyborg. I am a machine. I have no mouth.

For someone without a mouth you certainly talk a lot. Ah, I get it;
You use an alternative orifice. Makes sense.

>All I will require is 5
>liters of motor oil.

Ok, 8 pints of Castrol SuperLube it is.

>> You know you love it.
>
>Yes. It makes my job easier.
>
>// Xan. Ph. D.
>// I worship His Shadow.

Lemming
--

> For someone without a mouth you certainly talk a lot. Ah, I get it;
> You use an alternative orifice. Makes sense.

Negative. I simply post with the... secondary transmitter.

> Ok, 8 pints of Castrol SuperLube it is.

8? Cheater.

I guess you didn't notice the anomaly in my sig.

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.