papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
any scsi users want to convert me? I want to switch if performance is really noticable. what is the best hdd to buy for 100 bucks or so?

In battle Israel uses F-16's and big ass tanks, Palestine uses small children strapped to bombs. Which do you support?

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
A comparison of SCSI vs. IDE RAID can be found here <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/ide-scsi/" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/storage/ide-scsi/</A>

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
actually the 8mb cache drives are shown to perform just as well if not better than most scsi drives....here is my suggestion for max performance....buy 2 80gb western digital special edition drives and set them up in a raid 0 array....the 80gb wd drive is only around 100 bucks on newegg...

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
That will depend entirely on your operating environment. RAID0 only really outperforms a modern single SCSI drive during sequential read/write operations, not a particularly common activity. Another note of caution is some RAID controllers automatically disable the write cache to prevent data loss in case of power or system failure.

In any event, the arguments are largely academic because SCSI will cost you far more $$ than IDE.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
The +'s for SCSI are longer warranties (they are built to be used 24/7 for years), and they ARE faster. If you look at the WD 800JB as about the best IDE performer and compare it to the Seagate Cheetah 15K.3, you will see a big difference. SCSI also allows for much larger drive arrays.

You mentioned getting a Hard Drive for 100 bucks though. If that is your budget, stay away from SCSI. You can spend that on the SCSI controller alone.

The benefits of IDE are that it is much cheaper, and they generally have larger capacities. IDE is good enough now that there is very little reason to move to SCSI for a home computer. It would be much better to move back to IDE if you had switched to SCSI in the past. For business use, there are reasons for SCSI. That is why it is still around.

'It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.'

Cuda

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
I believe you will find that the price for SCSI will almost always make you purchase a traditional IDE drive. Also, with Western Digitals announcment of the SATA Raptor drive it will be very difficult to justify the cost compared to the performance of this HD. So, I think your question should be "PATA vs. SATA vs. SCSI". Granted the drives that have hit the market so far do not provide the performance of the SCSI, but the Western Digital Raptor drive looks very promising. We shall see in the next month or so.

G

Put it this way: Have you ever heard of any examples of people switching back to IDE after having tried SCSI because SCSI didn't satisfy them? Me either.

For me the switch was totally worth it. Switched somewhere around '95, and won't be going back any time soon.

Call it placebo effect or whatever, but I am thoroughly enjoying the increased performance and reliability.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
what kind of rpm's should we expect from the raptor? What kind of cach size? and most importantly: what price? oh damn I'd have to get a sata controller card too...not as expensive as a scsi controller but I can get a 15k 18gb ultrastar for $84 plus $100 or so for the controller...lol put windows and games on that and just use my deskstar for movies and music... but I'm not in that much of a hurry to upgrade, 200 bucks probably wouldnt be worth the performance I would gain...sata looks good I shall look into this raptor.

In battle Israel uses F-16's and big ass tanks, Palestine uses small children strapped to bombs. Which do you support?

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
can you reccomend a good controller and drive? Keep in mind I am on a budget. Those ultrastars look interesting tho the 4mb cache may not be enough.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
all the info is available over at storagereview.com

raptor = 10,000rpm, 1 x 36Gb platter, 5 year warantee.

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
10k rpms, 8mb cache, 36gb ...$160! I could get two 18gb 15krpm ultrastars for that much, or I could get a 36gb ultrastar for $120...If only I had a scsi controller... I sure hope they wont be that much, that is unreasonable. Interesting that it only has one platter tho. I want to see what two or more of these babys could do in a raid 0 array! damn that would be cool

G

I buy the ultrastars. They have served me, no pun intended, most excellently.

There are many low priced controllers, but be warned you get what you pay for. I have finally settled on an Adaptec 29160 of some flavor. You could save cost and get similar performance from a 19160 model. The Adaptec card is by far the best controller I've owned, and recomend them without hesitation.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I good reason to go SCSI: I have a SCSI RAID card (3-channel, server class, full length) for sale, and can't afford the drives.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wan handran dolla, wan handrad dolla...

LOL, I paid $85 plus shipping, and another $20 for the memory, $100 sounds good.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
hmmm I'll think aboot it. Gotta get some cash together

Cuda

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2003
If i were faced with buying a SATA controller or SCSI controller I would invest in the SCSI at this point. However, when building a new AMD system based on the Nforce2 chipset I might go for one with onboard SATA and get two WD Raptors. Hmm, this is making me contemplate SCSI for my new system instead of SATA. I need to do some more cost/performance analysis. The price of these Raptor drives and small size and price $160 for 36.7G may push me into a SCSI anyway.