T608 Bluetooth as modem for Bluetooth capable PDA and Lapt..

Is it possible for a Sony Erricson T608 with built-in Bluetooth to act as a
modem and provide Internet access for a Bluetooth enable HP iPAQ 5550 or a
Bluetooth enabled Windows XP Pro laptop?

Using Bluetooth hopefully would be a reliable alternative to a cable between
the phone and iPAQ or laptop.

TIA!!
8 answers Last reply
More about t608 bluetooth modem bluetooth capable lapt

    nospamjunketc@earthlink.net wrote:

    > Is it possible for a Sony Erricson T608 with built-in Bluetooth to act as a
    > modem and provide Internet access for a Bluetooth enable HP iPAQ 5550 or a
    > Bluetooth enabled Windows XP Pro laptop?
    >
    > Using Bluetooth hopefully would be a reliable alternative to a cable between
    > the phone and iPAQ or laptop.
    >
    > TIA!!

    Yes, quite possible. It's also the only Vision phone supported by Sprint
    for use as a modem. $15/mo gets you 3mb transfer.

    Ok, well maybe my dream of seeing sigalert.com while driving will be doable!

    Has anyone done the connection to Windows or a Windows handheld?

    Seems like a dial-up modem driver will be necessary??

    "Mike" <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote in message
    > nospamjunketc@earthlink.net wrote:
    >
    > > Is it possible for a Sony Erricson T608 with built-in Bluetooth to act
    as a
    > > modem and provide Internet access for a Bluetooth enable HP iPAQ 5550 or
    > > Bluetooth enabled Windows XP Pro laptop?
    > >
    > > Using Bluetooth hopefully would be a reliable alternative to a cable
    between
    > > the phone and iPAQ or laptop.
    > >
    > > TIA!!
    > >

    > Yes, quite possible. It's also the only Vision phone supported by Sprint
    > for use as a modem. $15/mo gets you 3mb transfer.

    I've been using T608 ever since it was released, with iPaq 4350, Nexio
    and laptops. No modem driver needed. It is a little tricky to set up
    4350, but once it is setup, it is very convenient afterward. When I need
    to check email on the iPaq, it dials T608 automatically. I can do email
    truly with one hand and 4350's email program is the best I've seen so
    far - fast and supports truly multiple accounts. To me, a small BT phone
    like T608 beats Treo to death, as you can use any BT devices (PDAs,
    laptops, headsets, car BT, etc.).

    The only shortcoming of T608 is its short battery life - I have to
    charge it every night. Yes the battery is swappable, but swapping
    batteries on T608 is a pain in the ass. Anyway, it still beats Treo, as
    long as you need more than just a Treo.

    I don't understand why people still buying Treo 600. For Sprint, I
    understand because there is no BT phones (officially) available. But
    for T-Mobile, for example, there is no reason to go Treo while so many
    BT phones are available.

    BTW, unlike the T610 that has a so so reception, T608's reception is the
    best I have seen so far (I have tested Samsung i500, Sanyo 4900, Treo
    300, 600 etc.).

    I must say, Treo is indeed the best PDA/phone. But if you need more than
    that, then BT is the way to go. Generally, BT is much a better
    investment as you are not fixed to a single Treo.

    nospamjunketc@earthlink.net wrote:

    > Ok, well maybe my dream of seeing sigalert.com while driving will be doable!
    >
    > Has anyone done the connection to Windows or a Windows handheld?
    >
    > Seems like a dial-up modem driver will be necessary??
    >

    > "Mike" <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>nospamjunketc@earthlink.net wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is it possible for a Sony Erricson T608 with built-in Bluetooth to act
    >
    > as a
    >
    >>>modem and provide Internet access for a Bluetooth enable HP iPAQ 5550 or

    >>>Bluetooth enabled Windows XP Pro laptop?
    >>>
    >>>Using Bluetooth hopefully would be a reliable alternative to a cable
    >
    > between
    >
    >>>the phone and iPAQ or laptop.
    >>>
    >>>TIA!!
    >>>

    >>Yes, quite possible. It's also the only Vision phone supported by Sprint
    >>for use as a modem. $15/mo gets you 3mb transfer.

    nospamjunketc@earthlink.net wrote:

    > Is it possible for a Sony Erricson T608 with built-in Bluetooth to act as a
    > modem and provide Internet access for a Bluetooth enable HP iPAQ 5550 or a
    > Bluetooth enabled Windows XP Pro laptop?

    In practice, it can be done. It violates the TOS, but it can be done.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Thanks for your reply and the excellent insight from your studied
    experience!

    I'm thinking of getting the iPAQ 5550. BT will also help avoid the hassle
    of an expansion pack for connecting a Sprint wireless PCMCIA card.

    To take it a bit further, my Acura TL has BT and now I'm wondering if the
    PDA and car can automatically switch sharing the phone so that I can talk on
    the phone one minute and get traffic updates the next. Yea, this is all
    about trying to avoid going postal on the freeway! :-)

    "John Smith" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    > I've been using T608 ever since it was released, with iPaq 4350, Nexio
    > and laptops. No modem driver needed. It is a little tricky to set up
    > 4350, but once it is setup, it is very convenient afterward. When I need
    > to check email on the iPaq, it dials T608 automatically. I can do email
    > truly with one hand and 4350's email program is the best I've seen so
    > far - fast and supports truly multiple accounts. To me, a small BT phone
    > like T608 beats Treo to death, as you can use any BT devices (PDAs,
    > laptops, headsets, car BT, etc.).
    >
    > The only shortcoming of T608 is its short battery life - I have to
    > charge it every night. Yes the battery is swappable, but swapping
    > batteries on T608 is a pain in the ass. Anyway, it still beats Treo, as
    > long as you need more than just a Treo.
    >
    > I don't understand why people still buying Treo 600. For Sprint, I
    > understand because there is no BT phones (officially) available. But
    > for T-Mobile, for example, there is no reason to go Treo while so many
    > BT phones are available.
    >
    > BTW, unlike the T610 that has a so so reception, T608's reception is the
    > best I have seen so far (I have tested Samsung i500, Sanyo 4900, Treo
    > 300, 600 etc.).
    >
    > I must say, Treo is indeed the best PDA/phone. But if you need more than
    > that, then BT is the way to go. Generally, BT is much a better
    > investment as you are not fixed to a single Treo.
    >
    > nospamjunketc@earthlink.net wrote:
    >
    > > Ok, well maybe my dream of seeing sigalert.com while driving will be
    doable!

    > > Has anyone done the connection to Windows or a Windows handheld?
    > >
    > > Seems like a dial-up modem driver will be necessary??
    > >

    > > "Mike" <spamtrap@zbuffer.com> wrote in message

    > > as a

    > > between

    > >>Yes, quite possible. It's also the only Vision phone supported by Sprint
    > >>for use as a modem. $15/mo gets you 3mb transfer.

    iPaq 5550 has one of the best Bluetooth implementation of any PDA to
    date, featuring an audio profile.

    Your 'project' would be trying to establish a Bluetooth 'piconet': One
    master and up to 7 slaves. Kind-of-proven, especially in the basic
    point to point configuration (one master, one basic slave only). In
    theory, interconnected piconets form a 'scatternet', an object that
    was modelized and simulated in labs quite well, but that only few
    lucky ones were able to observe (perhaps a matter of optics size?:)

    Have tried the 5550 running TomTom nav software with BT GPS receiver,
    BT phone and BT car kit. No problem getting them all inside the
    piconet, with I believe the PDA as the master (initiates BT
    connections). GPS signal fed to the PDA navigation over BT, audio nav
    from PDA routed to the car speakers through the BT car kit, phone
    calls getting through car speakers over BT: All systems are go.

    And then something silly happens:

    1. Listening to music, with audio guidance from the nav app barging in
    once in a while as you should expect, great.
    2. Call gets in, mutes the audio. Calling party heard in the car
    speakers. All fine.
    3. Call terminates... music resumes, but nav audio channel gone
    forever.

    The GPS data link over BT never was interrupted during the call so the
    PDA nav app was still up and running with graphics. Only nav audio
    link is lost. PDA connection has to be restarted from tiny
    menu-options, not easy while driving...

    After some research, seems the car kit can only handle one SCO audio
    channel at a time (hardware limitation). 5550 uses the headset profile
    when connected to the car kit (that uses one SCO link). Accepting a
    phone call pushes out that link, replacing it with its own SCO
    (handsfree profile uses one SCO also).

    Conclusion: Check hardware limitations on the Accura. Make sure it can
    handle 2 SCO audio links and a couple ACL links simultaneously.

    Wow, Dan, that was great information and detail! You make it very
    interesting.
    Lots to think about and experiment with. Thank you!!!

    <nospamjunketc@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<A2Vvc.9764$Ha2.9276@twister.socal.rr.com>...
    > Wow, Dan, that was great information and detail! You make it very
    > interesting.
    > Lots to think about and experiment with. Thank you!!!

    Please share your experiments with all of us, we're at the stage where
    beta testers... err, sorry... paying consumers are charting the waters
    for more advanced BT networking. Also feeding Bluetooth 1.2
    specifications I believe...

    Went to check Acura from their website since it's a brand we don't
    have around here, and puzzled by a statement that the onboard
    multimedia system - including the Bluetooth connectivity - is a
    standard outfit on ALL Acura TL models !!?

    Up to now, systems this sophisticated with Bluetooth inside were only
    offered to geeks as a rather expensive option with other car makers -
    I'm thinking of the Toyota Prius, Peugeot 607, or various German
    rigs... The so-called Bluetooth option very commonly offered in Europe
    on popular models is not factory-fitted, but rather an after-market BT
    car kit (black box) that they'd have installed behind the dashboard at
    some dealership, just before delivery. Around 300K cars got bluetooth
    enabled like that last year. Not too bad considering it carries a $400
    to $600 price tag (installed). Most of the time,
    people are happy with them, simple enough.

    Someone bold at Honda has decided to turn all US Acura owners -
    includes you - into BT early-adopters, and there's only a fraction
    that many BT-enabled phones in the US as there are in Europe. You drew
    a lucky number, and stirred my curiosity...

    Query shows the system on the Accura is provided by Johnson Controls
    (Also for Chrysler?) and it's part of a full blown onboard computer
    with a QNX OS and lots of network interfaces to get the sensors,
    steering wheel controls inputs, and to control the various subsystems
    (typically through a CAN bus). Nice job.

    Now they say voice recognition, noise reduction and echo cancellation
    are good. Can you tell us how good is good? Does the voice recognition
    work well with open windows? On wet road? Did you have to train it?

    Your GPS navigation is built-in, with hard-wired GPS receiver, and
    will never require any BT connection. Forget about comments on the
    simultaneous audio links at the BT car end, only required for people
    who'd want PDA/SmartPhone-based voice-enabled and geolocalisation apps
    (someday), to carry out of the car (and I'm a buyer of that, keeps car
    simple).

    So your car-end Bluetooth is just there to wirelessly host BT phones
    with a handsfree profile. Period. No provision for connecting a
    terminal using a headset profile, which restricts even further the
    choice. A little googling returns the typical flow of customer queries
    Acura owners will now be contributing to:

    http://www.burningdoor.com/steve/archives/000240.html

    To summarize it all: "Well, I have that... BT thing... somehow in my
    car, with my phone in the hand, can't ...*pair*... them things
    together. Help!". Tech support goes: "Sir, (1) what Bluetooth phone is
    it you have again, (2) what firmware version does that phone run on,
    (3) what SW version do you have on your handsfree system, and (4) what
    is it you're trying to achieve today anyways since there's no two
    identical setups/features-sets?". Customer: "???"

    Reminder: This is about a simple point to point BT connection between
    one master and one slave, using an ad-hoc, off-shelf BT profile. And
    there's usually a happy end to it: Customer self-educates and it's
    cool enough not to have any phone holder in the way. Eventually,
    Johnson Controls will end up sorting it out with phones, firmwares,
    and perhaps provide less ambitious phone features. What they have now
    seems hard to support across phones / firmwares with some degree of
    consistency.

    Cellular connectivity for your iPaq would have to go over BT through
    your BT phone's antenna, through your cloth fabric, and out of the
    car. The problem that was noticed over years' use with this scheme is
    that, even in areas with very dense GSM networks such as Europe, you
    experience fading signal here and there - compounded by
    electromagnetic screening of glass panels which is a trend.

    End result of this, there's talk now about re-introducing external
    antennas for BT cars (also applies to GPS antennas), and since you
    don't want that hodler back, there's that new BT Sim Access Profile
    brewing: A behind dashboard cellular module that inherits the
    communications functions and account of your phone over Bluetooth. Now
    you will need your phone to support that BT Sim Access Profile as well
    (new generation), ... and '07 Acuras will have to add yet some little
    more electronics.

    Yes, lots to experiment with :)

Sprint PCS Laptops Modem Bluetooth Internet Service Providers Product