What sound card has front panel audio header and s/pdif I/O?

Last response: in Home Audio
February 2, 2005 12:59:06 AM

Hi,

I am in search of a sound card. See, my PC case has front USB, Firewire, and Mic/Headphone connectors, but I don't wanna use my motherboard's built in sound board, so I was wondering what
sound card has front panel audio headers but also has spdif input and output? I thought about getting a sound blaster with live drive, but I just wanna be able to use my computer case's front audio.

Thank you, any help appreciated!
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:58:05 AM

>From: "AB" none@none.com
>Date: 2/2/05 12:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
>
>Hi,
>
>I am in search of a sound card. See, my PC case has front USB, Firewire, and
>Mic/Headphone connectors, but I don't wanna use my motherboard's built in
>sound board, so I was wondering what
>sound card has front panel audio headers but also has spdif input and output?
>I thought about getting a sound blaster with live drive, but I just wanna be
>able to use my computer case's front audio.

I may be wrong but I'm sure that any analog attachment (front or back of the
case) will go thru the sound card (maybe its a parallel line). The quality of
the converters in the card determines how good a sound you get from the card
and to it, Sound Blaster is not of a professional quality card.
What you first need to do is determine "what it is you want to do with this
system" and "if you have the know how and or experience to do so". If you want
something to just bang around the house the Sound Blaster will do. If you want
to go to a professional level you should look at something different.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:58:03 AM

"AB" <none@none.com> wrote in message

> I am in search of a sound card. See, my PC case has front USB,
> Firewire, and Mic/Headphone connectors, but I don't wanna use my
> motherboard's built in sound board, so I was wondering what sound
> card has front panel audio headers but also has spdif input and
> output? I thought about getting a sound blaster with live drive, but
> I just wanna be able to use my computer case's front audio.

The front panel headers, being unbalanced, aren't really generally suitable
for audio production use.

You might want to use them for casual headphone monitoring, but for that
some of the better on-board audio interfaces might be good enough.
February 2, 2005 8:49:34 PM

"AB" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am in search of a sound card. See, my PC case has front USB, Firewire,
and Mic/Headphone connectors, but I don't wanna use my motherboard's built
in sound board, so I was wondering what
> sound card has front panel audio headers but also has spdif input and
output? I thought about getting a sound blaster with live drive, but I just
wanna be able to use my computer case's front audio.

> Thank you, any help appreciated!

I use the Soundblaster Audigy2 Platinum soundcard. Had it for a couple of
years now and very satisfied with it. I think it has all the features you
are looking for. Front panel access requires a free 5 1/4" bay. Of course
Creative have newer models which might suit you better.

Check out the details at
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1...

Cheers,
Alan
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:55:21 PM

Even a humble Sblive (also the cheap old Value) has a row of internal
pins for connecting various stuff. Some are SPDIF ins and outs, and I
have used them with a homemade front panel and an outboard DAC or
DAT... Look around the net, and you will find several pages describing
what pins to connect to what. Ideally you should perhaps also use a
small pulse transformer to isolate the digital i/o.
The Live is 16bit/48kHz only though.

Martin
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 2:42:23 AM

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:59:06 -0800, "AB" <none@none.com> wrote:

>I am in search of a sound card. See, my PC case has front USB, Firewire, and Mic/Headphone connectors, but I don't wanna use my motherboard's built in sound board, so I was wondering what
>sound card has front panel audio headers but also has spdif input and output? I thought about getting a sound blaster with live drive, but I just wanna be able to use my computer case's front audio.

How will a Soundblaster be better than your onboard audio?

I suggest you focus on what you want to achieve with the sound system,
not on whether connectors are front panel or not. What DO you want
to do?