Sign in with
Your question

Why can't I use other TV cable plugs to connect to internet but one?

Last response: in Networking
March 9, 2013 5:31:18 AM

Hey guys, Canadian having Shaw as ISP here. I recently ran into problem regarding the network connection w/ coaxial plug(or TV cable plug).

On register they provided me with modem and one TV cable that I can connect the modem to TV cable plug on the wall. Since I mostly used laptop and the speed wasn't huge concern I just bought cheap wireless router and everything was fine...for a while.

Now that I built my own desktop and need stable internet with decent speed for my work, I tried and moved the modem and router to downstair where my desktop is at, hooked the TV cable to the wall just as I did before and suddenly the network started not working. When I moved it back to upstair it was working fine...

After then I tried every other TV cable plugs in my house to see if any of them is working but the result was negative. Only ONE plug that is right by kitchen works it seems.

Is it normal to have only one coaxial plug working for internet connection? I will likely call Shaw tomorrow and see what I can do, but I would like to avoid the hassle(and possibly service fee...yuck) and resolve the issue by myself. Any help is appreciated.
March 9, 2013 3:28:02 PM

I assume all the cable ports work for tv.

You need to figure out how its wired. You will likely have to replace/change the splitters. A cable modem tend to like to have as close to a direct connection to the incoming wire as possible, it needs to connect to the first splitter if at all possible. Then you need to be sure you have the newer high frequency splitters as well as the proper cable in the walls.
m
l
March 10, 2013 4:10:57 AM

hermit1007 said:
Hey guys, Canadian having Shaw as ISP here. I recently ran into problem regarding the network connection w/ coaxial plug(or TV cable plug).

On register they provided me with modem and one TV cable that I can connect the modem to TV cable plug on the wall. Since I mostly used laptop and the speed wasn't huge concern I just bought cheap wireless router and everything was fine...for a while.

Now that I built my own desktop and need stable internet with decent speed for my work, I tried and moved the modem and router to downstairs where my desktop is at, hooked the TV cable to the wall just as I did before and suddenly the network started not working. When I moved it back to upstair it was working fine...

After then I tried every other TV cable plugs in my house to see if any of them is working but the result was negative. Only ONE plug that is right by kitchen works it seems.

Is it normal to have only one coaxial plug working for internet connection? I will likely call Shaw tomorrow and see what I can do, but I would like to avoid the hassle(and possibly service fee...yuck) and resolve the issue by myself. Any help is appreciated.

So a couple possible reasons.
1. you only paid to have one outlet active, and it is a BAD idea to light up all ports for a few reasons signal is not infinite so feeding ports not in use is cutting it down for NO reason, and 2 any active port can be an active conduit for noise to enter the system, noise is always bad.

The other possibility is the return management, depending on the system you are on and where in the run you are, your return may be a little high [usually right after the amp at the highest value tap used] and so its common to set up a 2 way to feed the chosen internet outlet and then an additional splitter off the other leg for all the tv's, that additional splitter often has a very high DOCSIS return level and modems can only transmit so high by spec. depending on the modem you have you may see the DS light go solid and the US light never go solid, this indicates an upstream/return issue. IF the DS light never locks this is either an inactive port, you have a combines DS and US light so you cannot tell or there is severe damage to the system.

If you can get signal to a TV off the outlet the return level is likley the problem if you cannot get tv signal off the outlets then they are not likely active.

Other situations is damage to the cable system has raised the return beyond normal and the cascading splitter config that used to work no longer will until a repair is made. Its not uncommon to over pad the return at an amp [line extender] to sort of stamp out noise coming from a problem, especially if your on call in the middle of the night, since tracking it down and knocking on someones door at 2 Am is not generally a good idea.
m
l
Related resources
!