EvilCow

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
I recently upgraded from 128DDR to 256DDR (with windows XP). i am getting alot of these "System Dump" blue screens. Especially when i install something or play games. It is really getting on my nerves.
Can someone please help?!?!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I could wave my magic fairy wand and hope that it fixes everything.

Or you could actually give even the faintest hint of your system information and what exactly you did to upgrade, paying particular attention to what brand and speed of RAM you used exactly and what kind of memory timings you've set it to.

Knowing information on your power supply as well as the voltages on each of your rails would also be rather useful, as would what motherboard you're running it all on.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) It's possible the new memory is bad
2.) Two sticks have a slightly longer pathway than 1, so using 2 sticks can cause a stick that's "right on the edge" of stability to fall off that edge
3.) If you barely had just enough power for one stick, two sticks will cause a crash.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
PSU issue here again. See his second post. He is using a 230W PSU. The CPU alone is drawing most of the 12V rail. The Cache is probably causing the error due to a lack of power.

<b><font color=red>Fredi</font color=red> <font color=red>Fredi</font color=red> He's our man! If he can't do it no one can!</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yep. Very likely to be the power supply. At least his second post finally gave some usable information. It still amazes me how many people wilfully neglect their power supply and then complain about stability problems.

<sarcasm><i>It doesn't increase performance so it just must not be important.</i></sarcasm>

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?