Solved

Hard disk upgarde on laptop

Hello,

I have a Sony Vaio Z laptop which came with a 500GB Toshiba hard drive. I replaced this original Toshiba hard drive with a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid Drive. But I am not able to restore system on new hard drive. It copies all the files and gives error at the end. Same thing happens when I try installing Win 7 from DVD.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hard disk upgarde laptop
  1. That is strange, it should work just fine. by any chance can you tell us what the error message says?
  2. Your original HD probably had a hidden recovery partition, that was complete with all needed drivers for your particular laptop. A generic Windows DVD would NOT have any laptop-specific drivers available, This is what I think is happening here. Did your original HD fail? or did you just need a larger HD?
  3. I upgarded to speed up the laptop by putting Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive. I got additional space as secondary benefit. You are right that original HDD had a recovery partition. But I should be able to install Win 7 and then I will load the required drivers whcih are available on Sony Website. That is how we do on a desktop and do not face any problem. Why it should be different for a laptop? When I put back back my original HDD, it works fine. When I checked Seagte site about this problem, Segate says no specific drivers are required. Generic SATA drivers available with Win OS should suffice.
  4. nhasian said:
    That is strange, it should work just fine. by any chance can you tell us what the error message says?

I get following error message:

" Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this compuetr's hardware." This message is dispalyed when restore is alomost completed.
  5. Best answer
    Download a Full Retail Win7 ISO with SP1 included:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Burn it

Boot it

Install it

You need to use you purchased Product Key on the bottom of your laptop to activate it.
  6. Thanks. Currently, I am travelling. I will downlod and try Win 7 + SP1 as suggested by you some time next week and will give you the feedback.
  7. Thanks a lot. It worked.
  8. Excellent - Please mark as solved so the thread gets closed :-)
  9. Best answer selected by akv15.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Hard Drives Toshiba Windows 7