Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Hard Drives
  • Toshiba
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
June 12, 2012 12:56:56 PM

Hello,

I have a Sony Vaio Z laptop which came with a 500GB Toshiba hard drive. I replaced this original Toshiba hard drive with a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid Drive. But I am not able to restore system on new hard drive. It copies all the files and gives error at the end. Same thing happens when I try installing Win 7 from DVD.

More about : hard disk upgarde laptop

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2012 1:43:55 PM

That is strange, it should work just fine. by any chance can you tell us what the error message says?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2012 1:53:44 PM

Your original HD probably had a hidden recovery partition, that was complete with all needed drivers for your particular laptop. A generic Windows DVD would NOT have any laptop-specific drivers available, This is what I think is happening here. Did your original HD fail? or did you just need a larger HD?
m
l
Related resources
June 12, 2012 6:56:53 PM

I upgarded to speed up the laptop by putting Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid drive. I got additional space as secondary benefit. You are right that original HDD had a recovery partition. But I should be able to install Win 7 and then I will load the required drivers whcih are available on Sony Website. That is how we do on a desktop and do not face any problem. Why it should be different for a laptop? When I put back back my original HDD, it works fine. When I checked Seagte site about this problem, Segate says no specific drivers are required. Generic SATA drivers available with Win OS should suffice.
m
l
June 12, 2012 7:00:48 PM

nhasian said:
That is strange, it should work just fine. by any chance can you tell us what the error message says?

I get following error message:

" Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this compuetr's hardware." This message is dispalyed when restore is alomost completed.
m
l

Best solution

June 12, 2012 7:04:04 PM

Download a Full Retail Win7 ISO with SP1 included:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-is...

Burn it

Boot it

Install it

You need to use you purchased Product Key on the bottom of your laptop to activate it.
June 16, 2012 3:43:59 PM

Thanks. Currently, I am travelling. I will downlod and try Win 7 + SP1 as suggested by you some time next week and will give you the feedback.

m
l
June 17, 2012 11:21:47 AM

Thanks a lot. It worked.
m
l
June 17, 2012 6:25:01 PM

Excellent - Please mark as solved so the thread gets closed :-)
m
l
June 18, 2012 1:38:37 AM

Best answer selected by akv15.
m
l
!