Shure V15 IV stylus

Last response: in Home Audio
February 2, 2005 5:00:56 PM

I just got an old Thorens 124 turntable with a Shure series III arm with a
V15 IV cartridge. The needle is bent and needs replacing. From what I've
read at Shure, there's a M97xE or a VN35MR.

Is one a better choice than the other (the VN35MR seems to be about $30
more) or is there a better cartridge now that's similar in price to
replacing this stylus (under $100)

Any suggestions?

More about : shure v15 stylus

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:00:57 PM

The proper styli for the V15IV are the VN45MR & VN45HE, and the VN478 for 78rpm. None of these
are currently in production by Shure. You may be able to return your damaged stylus assembly
to Shure for rebuilding, but I'm not current on that. The M97xE is a whole cartridge(and a
current model), several steps down in performance from the V15IV, and the VN35MR is the
replacement stylus for the older V15III. There is a guy selling VN45HE clones on ebay
currently for about $60, but I don't know the quality, and there's no mention of using the
proper rolled beryllium foil cantilever. Better than no stylus at all, though, in any case.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"Dennis Herrick" <herrickd@huntingdon.edu> wrote in message
> I just got an old Thorens 124 turntable with a Shure series III arm with a
> V15 IV cartridge. The needle is bent and needs replacing. From what I've
> read at Shure, there's a M97xE or a VN35MR.
>
> Is one a better choice than the other (the VN35MR seems to be about $30
> more) or is there a better cartridge now that's similar in price to
> replacing this stylus (under $100)
>
> Any suggestions?

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:53:22 PM

"Stephen Sank" <bk11@thuntek.net> wrote in message
> The proper styli for the V15IV are the VN45MR & VN45HE, and the VN478 for
> 78rpm. None of these
> are currently in production by Shure. You may be able to return your
> damaged stylus assembly
> to Shure for rebuilding, but I'm not current on that. The M97xE is a
> whole cartridge(and a
> current model), several steps down in performance from the V15IV, and the
> VN35MR is the
> replacement stylus for the older V15III. There is a guy selling VN45HE
> clones on ebay
> currently for about $60, but I don't know the quality, and there's no
> mention of using the
> proper rolled beryllium foil cantilever. Better than no stylus at all,
> though, in any case.

Thanks for your reply.... I meant the N97xE that a pdf at Shure suggested as
a replacement.....

Has anyone used these replacements from Ebay?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:25:55 PM

Dennis Herrick <herrickd@huntingdon.edu> wrote:
>I just got an old Thorens 124 turntable with a Shure series III arm with a
>V15 IV cartridge. The needle is bent and needs replacing. From what I've
>read at Shure, there's a M97xE or a VN35MR.

The VN35MR is a fineline stylus that will track better than the elliptical
types. However, it will require more careful VTA adjustment than the
elliptical ones. If you have previously been using the VN45MR fineline
stylus, it will behave the same way.

The M97xE is a hyperelliptical cartridge. Not as good tracking, possibly
not as good stereo separation, but easier setup. It's equivalent to the
older VN45HE hyperelliptical cartridge that was also sold with the V-15.

>Is one a better choice than the other (the VN35MR seems to be about $30
>more) or is there a better cartridge now that's similar in price to
>replacing this stylus (under $100)

Not really. The AT440 is a good first pick for that arm, though, in the
$100 price range. But if the V15 is in good shape and the suspension isn't
shot, it will really surprise you.
--scott
February 3, 2005 4:16:16 AM

in article ctrd0j$ed4$1@panix2.panix.com, Scott Dorsey at kludge@panix.com
wrote on 2/2/05 3:25 PM:

> Dennis Herrick <herrickd@huntingdon.edu> wrote:
>> I just got an old Thorens 124 turntable with a Shure series III arm with a
>> V15 IV cartridge. The needle is bent and needs replacing. From what I've
>> read at Shure, there's a M97xE or a VN35MR.
>
> The VN35MR is a fineline stylus that will track better than the elliptical
> types. However, it will require more careful VTA adjustment than the
> elliptical ones. If you have previously been using the VN45MR fineline
> stylus, it will behave the same way.
>
> The M97xE is a hyperelliptical cartridge. Not as good tracking, possibly
> not as good stereo separation, but easier setup. It's equivalent to the
> older VN45HE hyperelliptical cartridge that was also sold with the V-15.
>
>> Is one a better choice than the other (the VN35MR seems to be about $30
>> more) or is there a better cartridge now that's similar in price to
>> replacing this stylus (under $100)
>
> Not really. The AT440 is a good first pick for that arm, though, in the
> $100 price range. But if the V15 is in good shape and the suspension isn't
> shot, it will really surprise you.
> --scott

I've the same setup and took Scott's advice on the AT440.
Not as euphonic as a V15 but a great cartrige.
It tracks anything i throw at it.
Thanks, Scott
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 12:02:10 PM

> The VN35MR was made specifically for the V15III & did not have the dynamic
stabilizer
> brush(wish it did). The brush was introduced on the original M97HE, then
incorporated into the
> V15IV's VN45HE stylus. The VN35MR & VN45MR micro-ridge styli were not
actually introduced
> until the III & IV carts were discontinued, and were offered as a way for
owners of those carts
> to get V15VMR(later renamed V15VxMR with only a color change) peformance
for a lot less than
> buying that cartridge. Incidentally, the dynamic stabilizer brush does a
wonderful job of
> eliminating the need for a subsonic filter.

Well, lessening the need. Unfortunately, during silent moments it also does
a nice job of playing the upcoming and previous signal. On recordings of a
capella vocals with pauses, it can get really annoying. Putting a little
Mortite or Strip-Calk between the stylus assembly and the cartridge helps a
little, but you still hear less background crud with the stylus up (and the
tracking pressure readjusted).

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:27:44 PM

On 3 Feb 2005 09:30:19 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>play_on <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote:
>>Scott Dorsey writes:
>>>What arm do you have on the 1200? Most of the ones I have seen have been
>>>set up with the Micro-Trak arm which is easy to adjust the height of, but
>>>for which you have to be very careful to get it consistently set because
>>>there's no vernier control, just a slide.
>>
>>Slide??? This arm has the stock arm I guess, which has a large ring
>>at the base where you can adjust the height.
>
>I didn't think these came with stock arms. And yes, the ring is what I
>am referring to... you have to unscrew a thumbscrew from the ring and raise
>the pivot up and down by hand, right? There isn't any knob you turn that
>makes small movements to the height with a large movement of the knob.

Not sure what you mean with the small and large movements... there is
a small lever that locks and unlocks the ring. The ring is large and
surrounds the base of the tone arm, but it seems easy to make fairly
accurate adjustments.

>>Yeah, I could hear more fizz on sibilants and certain types of groove
>>wear. I have a lot of old 45s in my collection, and the cheaper
>>stylus was noticeably worse at playing them, it wasn't a subtle
>>difference.
>
>That's not noise at all, then, that's tracking distortion.

Well it's kind of a combination of both. At any rate the surface pops
& clicks were also more prominent with the cheaper stylus.

You'll find
>that on worn records, the fineline stylus does even better than the HE
>that you have.

Yep, that's what I will by buying after this one wears out.

Al
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:30:51 PM

I've been using a V15VMR for two decades & in very revealing systems, and have never heard any
of the artifacts you speak of. Have you heard these problems on more than one table setup?
And I have played some wickedly warped records, using only the brush for subsonic suppression,
and have never seen any significant woofer movement. But that is certainly arm dependent, as
an unusually high mass arm, e.g., the stock SL1200 arm, could definitely override the brush's
damping effect. As could an electronic arm like the Denon "servo-tracers" or the old Sony
"bio-tracers".

--
"Paul Stamler" <pstamlerhell@pobox.com> wrote in message

> "Stephen Sank" <bk11@thuntek.net> wrote in message
> > The VN35MR was made specifically for the V15III & did not have the dynamic
> stabilizer
> > brush(wish it did). The brush was introduced on the original M97HE, then
> incorporated into the
> > V15IV's VN45HE stylus. The VN35MR & VN45MR micro-ridge styli were not
> actually introduced
> > until the III & IV carts were discontinued, and were offered as a way for
> owners of those carts
> > to get V15VMR(later renamed V15VxMR with only a color change) peformance
> for a lot less than
> > buying that cartridge. Incidentally, the dynamic stabilizer brush does a
> wonderful job of
> > eliminating the need for a subsonic filter.
>
> Well, lessening the need. Unfortunately, during silent moments it also does
> a nice job of playing the upcoming and previous signal. On recordings of a
> capella vocals with pauses, it can get really annoying. Putting a little
> Mortite or Strip-Calk between the stylus assembly and the cartridge helps a
> little, but you still hear less background crud with the stylus up (and the
> tracking pressure readjusted).
>
> Peace,
> Paul

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:43:11 PM

play_on <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote:
>On 3 Feb 2005 09:30:19 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>>play_on <playonAT@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>Slide??? This arm has the stock arm I guess, which has a large ring
>>>at the base where you can adjust the height.
>>
>>I didn't think these came with stock arms. And yes, the ring is what I
>>am referring to... you have to unscrew a thumbscrew from the ring and raise
>>the pivot up and down by hand, right? There isn't any knob you turn that
>>makes small movements to the height with a large movement of the knob.
>
>Not sure what you mean with the small and large movements... there is
>a small lever that locks and unlocks the ring. The ring is large and
>surrounds the base of the tone arm, but it seems easy to make fairly
>accurate adjustments.

Right. But, let's say you want to move it 0.5mm. You have to unlock it
and move it by hand just a tiny bit while watching the scale. You can't
just turn a calibrated vernier knob that is set so one turn moves the
pivot up 1mm. The vernier makes it much easier to make small adjustments,
and it makes it possible to adjust it by ear up and down while the record
is playing. You don't have to stop the record, unlock, and reset with
each change.

At least, if it's a Micro-Trak arm....
--scott
February 3, 2005 9:16:35 PM

> I've been using a V15VMR for two decades & in very revealing systems, and
have never heard any
> of the artifacts you speak of. Have you heard these problems on more than
one table setup?

Yes. On the low-mass arm of my Connoisseur BD3 (which I now mostly use for
78s) and the medium-mass arm of my AR Classic, which I believe is actually
an OEM'd Audioquest but wouldn't swear to it in court. The effect is much
less audible on the AR, but it's there. Some stylus assemblies are worse
than others in this respect.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 7:45:01 PM

>I just got an old Thorens 124 turntable with a Shure series III arm with a
>V15 IV cartridge. The needle is bent and needs replacing. From what I've
>read at Shure, there's a M97xE or a VN35MR.
>
>Is one a better choice than the other (the VN35MR seems to be about $30
>more) or is there a better cartridge now that's similar in price to
>replacing this stylus (under $100)
>
>Any suggestions?

I bought an aftermarket stylus for my V15mkIV from a company I found on the
internet. It was not manufactured by Shure, but worked very well. Price was
$75.

Do a Search for the correct model stylus and you will find them I forgot who it
was.
Richard H. Kuschel
February 7, 2005 6:16:30 AM

Richard Kuschel <rickpv8945@aol.com> wrote:

>I bought an aftermarket stylus for my V15mkIV from a company I found on the
>internet. It was not manufactured by Shure, but worked very well. Price was
>$75.
>
>Do a Search for the correct model stylus and you will find them I forgot who it
>was.

You might find that (of all companies) Radio Shack's mail order/Web
catalog stocks decent quality replacement styli for Shure V15s at low
cost. See their Web site for details.

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 6:16:31 AM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 03:16:30 +0000 (UTC), moskowit@panix.com (Len
Moskowitz) wrote:

>Richard Kuschel <rickpv8945@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>I bought an aftermarket stylus for my V15mkIV from a company I found on the
>>internet. It was not manufactured by Shure, but worked very well. Price was
>>$75.
>>
>>Do a Search for the correct model stylus and you will find them I forgot who it
>>was.
>
>You might find that (of all companies) Radio Shack's mail order/Web
>catalog stocks decent quality replacement styli for Shure V15s at low
>cost. See their Web site for details.

What does "decent quality" mean, as compared to the actual Shure
styii? Are they just like the Shures but without the brand name, or
is there a compromise in quality?

Al
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:55:32 PM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:42:58 -0800, play_on <playonAT@comcast.net>
wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 03:16:30 +0000 (UTC), moskowit@panix.com (Len
>Moskowitz) wrote:
>

>>Richard Kuschel <rickpv8945@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I bought an aftermarket stylus for my V15mkIV from a company I found on the
>>>internet. It was not manufactured by Shure, but worked very well. Price was
>>>$75.
>>>
>>>Do a Search for the correct model stylus and you will find them I forgot who it
>>>was.
>>
>>You might find that (of all companies) Radio Shack's mail order/Web
>>catalog stocks decent quality replacement styli for Shure V15s at low
>>cost. See their Web site for details.
>
>What does "decent quality" mean, as compared to the actual Shure
>styii? Are they just like the Shures but without the brand name, or
>is there a compromise in quality?
>
>Al

-- OK, if you really want a Shure replacement for your V15IV, and
since (I think) Shure hasn't no direct replacements any more, do the
following, if you feel comfortable with a bit of precision work:--

Obtain a decent Shure replacement stylus, say N97xE. Once you have it,
choose a well illuminated table for work, take a
temperature-controlled soldering iron with a very narrow tip and set
the temperature low, enough to loosen the plastics a bit and not
deform it. About 100 degrees C (abt. 200 F) for the start. This is
important.

Have someone hold the V15IV bent stylus holder fixed if you haven't a
vice and touch with the iron tip the spot on the brass system holder
where it is affixed to the cartridge holder, pulling at the same time
gently the system out. Once it looses, you've got the holder ready for
the new system. If you haven't set a too high temperature, the
plastics won't deform and the holder will be just fine.

Now do this with the new stylus. Pay attention not to touch the new
stylus by no means. Warming up the new system as above said, pull it
out.

So you have the old system holder and a new system. Prepare a good,
not so fluid, sort of a Loctite cyanoacrylate bonding glue. Add a
small drop to the jointing spot to the holder at the joint place. Best
if you bring a drop with a needle point.

Hold your breath and position the new system into its place and wait
for the glue to cure for some 5 minutes.

If you've done this right, you should have your old V15 IV cartridge
fitted with a brand new stylus and it will be a 100% Shure again.
Don't worry about geometry, if you've done it right everything will be
fine.

-- While this may look a bit whacky procedure, with a good eye and a
calm hand, it's a method of making all Shure vintage cartridges look
and perform as if they were new -- just choose a right stylus for the
cartridge.

-- Shure discontinued manufacturing of V15VxMR but they promised to
keep ther supply of replacement stylii for 5 coming years.

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia
!