Shure Series III arm vs. 3009

I have had a Shure SME 3009 arm on my turntable for years and years. I
recently got a turntable with a Shure SME series III arm. How is this
different from the 3009? Better? Worse? Improved? Older? Newer?
3 answers Last reply
More about shure series 3009

    "Dennis Herrick" <herrickd@huntingdon.edu> wrote in message
    > I have had a Shure SME 3009 arm on my turntable for years and years. I
    > recently got a turntable with a Shure SME series III arm. How is this
    > different from the 3009? Better? Worse? Improved? Older? Newer?

    Newer. In some respects better. The philosophies are different; the 3009 was
    a low-mass tonearm, designed for use with the high-compliance cartridges
    popular at the time (including the Shure V15 series). The Series III, if
    memory serves correctly, was higher-mass and more rigid, designed for the
    lower-compliance cartridges that became popular in the 1980s, particularly
    moving-coils.

    Peace,
    Paul
  2. Quote:

    "Dennis Herrick" <herrickd@huntingdon.edu> wrote in message
    > I have had a Shure SME 3009 arm on my turntable for years and years. I
    > recently got a turntable with a Shure SME series III arm. How is this
    > different from the 3009? Better? Worse? Improved? Older? Newer?

    Newer. In some respects better. The philosophies are different; the 3009 was
    a low-mass tonearm, designed for use with the high-compliance cartridges
    popular at the time (including the Shure V15 series). The Series III, if
    memory serves correctly, was higher-mass and more rigid, designed for the
    lower-compliance cartridges that became popular in the 1980s, particularly
    moving-coils.

    Peace,
    Paul

    Paul I have a SME III on Kenwood stone TT. It is actually vice versa to what you remember. The III is the high compliance arm and the 3009 was more suited to low to medium. After the craze for super low tracking forces & high compliance carts was done the model III kinda fell out of favor. It is a good arm but unlike the other SME arms it was built for a single purpose, while the other SME arms were more usefull across the board.

    John
  3. drjjpdc said:
    Paul I have a SME III on Kenwood stone TT. It is actually vice versa to what you remember. The III is the high compliance arm and the 3009 was more suited to low to medium. After the craze for super low tracking forces & high compliance carts was done the model III kinda fell out of favor. It is a good arm but unlike the other SME arms it was built for a single purpose, while the other SME arms were more usefull across the board.

    John

    Hi John,

    I wouldn't suppose your Kenwood TT is a KD-600? I also have an SME III partnered with this TT and I am actually looking to sell both items and came across this thread while looking for valuations. They have only ever had one owner and are in good condition. Would you have an approximate valuation? jtur24@hotmail.com

    Thanks

Pro Audio Shure Audio