Unable to share connection with Buffalo AirStation

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I just moved into a student apartment which has internet included. There is an RJ45 jack on the wall I am I able to use internet normally when using an Ethernet cable.

However, I can't share the connection wirelessly.

I have a Buffalo ADSL Modem/router which I would like to use to share the connection. The first time I plugged the cable into one of the 4 LAN slot, I was able to browse wirelessly but after a few minutes it stopped working and has not worked ever since. Could it be some kind of restriction on their part?

Is there any special configuration settings to share my connection in such a way? Note that I don't use any DSL (phone) line here, I only have access to an Ethernet cable. When trying to browse Chrome gives me "Cannot load page because the DNS lookup failed"

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, they could have a restriction on routers/APs but you should be connecting to the WAN port. If you connect to an LAN port their router needs a static address for the AP that you are trying to configure, and they are not going to do that.

Start out by resetting your router to default settings by depressing the reset button on the back (probably in a small hole). Attach a computer to the router LAN port to configure. Once it is working properly, use wireless, not until then.

You might have to clone a computer MAC into the router, and that process should be detailed in your Buffalo manual.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Alright, thanks RealBeast, resetting the router definitely improved my situation: I can now share my connection through the LAN ports.

New problems arose however... I no longer have access to my router through the browser. Trying to access 192.168.11.1 will simply time out. My gateway is now some public address which I suppose come from one of the provider's router somewhere (in the building maybe?). Anyways, I have effectively lost my "private network" as I am also unable to access my network drive connected to my router. How would I go about doing that?

Everything is connected through the LAN ports now, Internet from the wall, my computer, etc. There is no WAN port except for the DSL port in which a RJ45 connector doesn't fit.

I have set this network to private and I'm a bit worried that some other people in the building are now able to see my PC through it. I tried adding an additional gateway with my router IP address but still no access (probably a dumb thing to do anyway!)

Any help would be appreciated.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
I am now able to access my router but only if I disconnect the internet ethernet cable first.

When plugging it back in however internet doesn't come back on its own, I have to restart the router so it seems like it can only be on one network at one time. What I mean is that I'm no longer able to have my private network and my router acting as a gateway towards internet.

In any cases, my router isn't able to share the connection wirelessly.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

I'm logging in with root/blank aye. But why is it that I can only access the router when I disconnect the internet from it? Almost doesn't make sense to me. Another weird thing is: 1 of the computer (the iMac) is able to connect through the Wi-fi and browse internet but 2 laptop PCs and 2 iPhone can't.

I don't remember setting anything up when I got the router. It just worked as a local DHCP on its own if I remember correctly and it is still set to work as such.

RealBeast

Titan
I would try resetting it again. This time disconnect the Internet and LAN cables, then press and hold the reset for 30 seconds, allow it to boot up for 2 minutes, then unplug it. Wait a moment, then plug it back in, give it 2 minutes to fully boot, then attach an LAN cable for the computer to configure it and try getting to the configuration page.

By default it may not have any wireless security, but probably does have DHCP enabled.

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

Ok, I have done exactly what you suggested but very little improvement.

After the reset and second restart, I plugged in my PC directly and accessed the router config page, I set up a password for the wifi and changed the VCI to its proper value. After that was done, I plugged in the ethernet cable carrying the connection, unsuprisingly nothing happened until I restart the router again. At that point my wired PC is connected to the internet, and I am able to connect to wifi with my phone (and able to actually browse). That's the best it got, all other devices in the house aren't able to browse. For example on my laptop I can connect without any problem and it even says "Internet access" if I mouseover the wifi icon in system tray but when I try to browse it can't resolve proxy and time out. Also, I'm still unable to access router once the internet is on.

I'm running out of ideas. Anything I've done wrong or in the wrong order?

RealBeast

Titan
All that I suggested was a way to get into the router to change the settings, and it seems like that worked. So you now can connect with the wired connection and your phone. Did you set the new security password in the other devices?

As far as the quality of your wireless, you are probably surrounded by wireless networks that will interfere. Download and run the free INSSIDER wireless analyzer on a computer that has a wireless adapter to see the surrounding network by channel so you can try to avoid the stronger signals.

Can you ping the router from the laptop that times out? Have you tried another DNS setting, like the public Google DNS at 8.8.8.8?

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

There are other wifi around but I'm almost sure that isn't the problem.

So from the laptop I can indeed ping the router, and I can even access the config page (thing I cannot do from the wired PC). Another thing I noticed is that in the Network and Sharing center it shows 2 active networks at the same time, both coming from the same wireless connection.

I just tried google DNS at still timing out.

RealBeast

Titan
Did you eliminate the additional gateway that you had created on your computer that you mentioned earlier?

Your desktop that has a wired connection -- are you letting it automatically obtain an IP address or do you have a static address entered? If you have a static address assigned in Windows, do you have the same static address assigned in the router static table?

urbanium

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

Yep I deleted that additional Gateway. All stations are set to automatically obtain an IP.