Why isn't this forum more active?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) wrote in

> It is because there aren't that many good space sim games or not that
> many people play them?
>
> Tara
> --
> http://users4.ev1.net/~taragem/yager.htm

because Derek Smart is the only target and there is not much sport in the
hunt...

On 29 Aug 2004 19:30:50 -0700, taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) wrote:

>It is because there aren't that many good space sim games or not that
>many people play them?

Used to be lots of lively discussions until one Derek Smart decided he was king
of the world and the space sim genre. It then became nothing more then a huge
flamewar with the odd on-topic post about games. It went on like this for years
until we have what you see today... almost nothing.

Derek doesn't post here anymore because he can't control what people say here
like he can on web forums. More than one web forum moderator has banned him for
his ridiculous threats and bullshit.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On 29 Aug 2004 19:30:50 -0700, taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) wrote:

>It is because there aren't that many good space sim games or not that
>many people play them?

It's because the industry has pretty much abandoned high quality space
sims. Of course, they claim it is because there is not a sufficient
market for such games. Evidently there is only a twitch-finger FPS
market.

Bah.

Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
reply.
Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI

tara

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Dick Garage wrote:

> Used to be lots of lively discussions until one Derek Smart decided he was king
> of the world and the space sim genre. It then became nothing more then a huge
> flamewar with the odd on-topic post about games. It went on like this for years
> until we have what you see today... almost nothing.

That's a shame that one person--a space sim developer at that--would
destroy a newsgroup. I tried Battlecruiser Millennium and though it
looked interesting I couldn't get past the, what seemed to me,
needlessly complex menu/control system and mostly flat, uninteresting
terrain.

I've always been a sci-fi buff ala the original ST. I hope more will
participate and bring back the interesting posts in this group.

Tara
--
http://users4.ev1.net/~taragem/yager.htm

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

It's because you're all a bunch of cunts.

cu t

tara

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

br d wrote:

> It's because you're all a bunch of cunts.

What a thoughtful, intelligent post.

On 30 Aug 2004 15:08:43 -0700, taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) wrote:

>Dick Garage wrote:
>
>> Used to be lots of lively discussions until one Derek Smart decided he was king
>> of the world and the space sim genre. It then became nothing more then a huge
>> flamewar with the odd on-topic post about games. It went on like this for years
>> until we have what you see today... almost nothing.
>
>That's a shame that one person--a space sim developer at that--would
>destroy a newsgroup. I tried Battlecruiser Millennium and though it
>looked interesting I couldn't get past the, what seemed to me,
>needlessly complex menu/control system and mostly flat, uninteresting
>terrain.

Lol! How did he destroy the newsgroup? This froup is dying of boredom,
that's all.

>I've always been a sci-fi buff ala the original ST. I hope more will
>participate and bring back the interesting posts in this group.
>
>Tara

br d

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On or about 8/30/2004 3:36:34 PM, br d <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk>
said:
> On 30 Aug 2004 15:08:43 -0700, taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) wrote:
>
>>Dick Garage wrote:
>>
>>> Used to be lots of lively discussions until one Derek Smart decided he was king
>>> of the world and the space sim genre. It then became nothing more then a huge
>>> flamewar with the odd on-topic post about games. It went on like this for years
>>> until we have what you see today... almost nothing.
>>
>>That's a shame that one person--a space sim developer at that--would
>>destroy a newsgroup. I tried Battlecruiser Millennium and though it
>>looked interesting I couldn't get past the, what seemed to me,
>>needlessly complex menu/control system and mostly flat, uninteresting
>>terrain.
>
> Lol! How did he destroy the newsgroup? This froup is dying of boredom,
> that's all.

The joke is on you: the rest of us are respond-bots.

Bret

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

and the twitch-finger RTS market, where all that matters is memorizing
strategies and fast micromanagement

--
PGP is lame, I use ROT26 encryption

"Joe Granto" <Joe.Granto@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> On 29 Aug 2004 19:30:50 -0700, taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) wrote:
>
>>It is because there aren't that many good space sim games or not that
>>many people play them?
>
> It's because the industry has pretty much abandoned high quality space
> sims. Of course, they claim it is because there is not a sufficient
> market for such games. Evidently there is only a twitch-finger FPS
> market.
>
> Bah.
>

> Please replace the "NoSpam" with "MCI" in my email address in order to
> reply.
> Joe Granto Joe.Granto@NoSpam.Com
> Senior Engineer Intel Engineering,MCI

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:12:22 +0800, "francium"
<francium_at_softhome@dot.net> wrote:

>and the twitch-finger RTS market, where all that matters is memorizing
>strategies and fast micromanagement

Starshatter is pretty good.

Allan

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001

On 30 Aug 2004 22:00:29 -0700, taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) wrote:

>br d wrote:
>
>> It's because you're all a bunch of cunts.
>
>What a thoughtful, intelligent post.

you can always rely on br d to raise the tone.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

"br d" <misterbCOCKNEYTWAT@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> It's because you're all a bunch of cunts.
>
> cu t

Oh yea, thanks for reminding me.

What he said.

"francium" <francium_at_softhome@dot.net> wrote in message news:<cgvl18$1k4k$1@news.hgc.com.hk>...
> and the twitch-finger RTS market, where all that matters is memorizing
> strategies and fast micromanagement

I believe it's mainly due to microsoft's continual abandonment or
shoddy support of the sci-fi space sim genre. Major case in point was
Allegiance (dropped, according to most, because it was used as a pilot
project for directX); Other case in point was the Star/Freelancer
stuff (lack of joystick support for the latter).

nice thing is they do release source codes once in a while. lol.
http://www.microsoft.com/games/allegiance/home.htm

Things ARE improving though, since you've got Eve-online proving that
this stuff does have a market...which is a HELL of a lot better than
the days where Derek Smarticus looked to be the saviour of a dying
genre. *shudder*

taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) writes:

> It is because there aren't that many good space sim games or not that
> many people play them?

I suppose it's the lack of games. Maybe web forums are also more
attractive than good old Usenet?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On 31 Aug 2004 16:14:37 -0700, bdu_majorfreak@hotmail.com (MajorFreak)
wrote:

>I believe it's mainly due to microsoft's continual abandonment or
>shoddy support of the sci-fi space sim genre. Major case in point was
>Allegiance (dropped, according to most, because it was used as a pilot
>project for directX); Other case in point was the Star/Freelancer
>stuff (lack of joystick support for the latter).

While it might be convenient to blame MS, this is blatantly untrue.
Was it Microsoft who made Sierra cancel their Babylon 5 based sim?
Was it Microsoft who forced Particle Systems to not make I-War 3?
What about a new FreeSpace? A new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game?

In fact, it is the X-Box that got the Battlestar Gallatica game...
NOT the PC. Hmmm.

>nice thing is they do release source codes once in a while. lol.
>http://www.microsoft.com/games/allegiance/home.htm
>
>Things ARE improving though, since you've got Eve-online proving that
>this stuff does have a market...which is a HELL of a lot better than
>the days where Derek Smarticus looked to be the saviour of a dying
>genre. *shudder*

All the games you lives as being a ray of light are ONLINE games. I
tried Allegiance when it came out. It was beautiful. Controls were
nice, action was good, etc. However, the lack of a single player game
killed it for me. Playing with clueless people killed it for me. It
slowly became a game where people just wanted to dogfight, and not do
much else. Scouting, tactics, etc., we hard to find. True, you can
put in time effort to find a clueful sqaud, but that gets old (to me,
at least). And don't forget lag, latency, cheats, etc., all of which
go along with online gaming.

EVE is another online game. I don't want online. I am a space-sim
fan. I want games like the Wing Commander series, like FreeSpace 2,
like I-War 1/2, like the X-Wing games, etc. I want a game with single
player support, a detailed campaign, different ships to fly, a
Newtonian physics model, variety of weapons, variety of missions, etc.
I am in the minority.

Watch for posts from Stephen from Particle Systems. I have never seen
him blame MS for a lack of interest in another I-War game. What he
HAS mentioned is not enough people buying space-sim games to warrant
the expense of development of a new space-sim.

It is the end-user responsible for a lack of space-sims. People want
flashy graphics instead over complexity (Freelancer). They want
online so much they they are willing to give up on having a complex
single player campaign. Gamers have become to enjoy simpler,
arcade-style fluff like FPS games, console games, etc.

I mean, when was the last time a GOOD flight sim came out? I mean
complex, realistic physics, flight model, etc.? Falcon 4? What about
a good tank sim? Sub sim? Even mech sims have been dumbed down (in
this case by Microsoft), and there hasn't been a new mech sim in
years.

The problem, unfortunately, lies with the public, and their apparent
lack of interest in such complex games. Not that people would not buy
them; they would. However, it is more financially feasible for a
software house to buy the rights to an FPS engine, give it a makeover,
and release a whopping hit that it is to create their own graphics
engine, their own physics mode, etc. That is what killed the B5 game,
btw.

Joe Granto wrote:

> I mean, when was the last time a GOOD flight sim came out? I mean
> complex, realistic physics, flight model, etc.? Falcon 4? What about
> a good tank sim? Sub sim?

Silent Hunter III looks interesting; as does Project Freedom.

Tara
--

On 2 Sep 2004 00:22:20 -0700, taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) wrote:

>Joe Granto wrote:
>
>> I mean, when was the last time a GOOD flight sim came out? I mean
>> complex, realistic physics, flight model, etc.? Falcon 4? What about
>> a good tank sim? Sub sim?
>
>Silent Hunter III looks interesting; as does Project Freedom.
>
>Tara

Pacific fighters will also be a good one from the guys that made IL-2.

MajorFreak wrote:
> i WANT a joystick friendly, pseudo-newtonian space-sim. But, i don't
> believe i'm in the minority.

So long as "pseudo" is as far as it goes. The space-sims I've had that
purported to have anything even approaching "pure" newtonian physics top the
list of the most unfun games I've ever played.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

> On 31 Aug 2004 16:14:37 -0700, bdu_majorfreak@hotmail.com (MajorFreak)
> wrote:
>
> >I believe it's mainly due to microsoft's continual abandonment or
> >shoddy support of the sci-fi space sim genre. Major case in point was
> >Allegiance (dropped, according to most, because it was used as a pilot
> >project for directX); Other case in point was the Star/Freelancer
> >stuff (lack of joystick support for the latter).
>
> While it might be convenient to blame MS, this is blatantly untrue.
> Was it Microsoft who made Sierra cancel their Babylon 5 based sim?
> Was it Microsoft who forced Particle Systems to not make I-War 3?
> What about a new FreeSpace? A new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game?

As all intelligent objectively minded souls know, the source of all evil in
the world today is Microsoft.

XaN

"Allan Parent" <allanp@nospamforme123.charter.net> wrote in message
> Pacific fighters will also be a good one from the guys that made IL-2.

Displaced water makes me wet... um, never mind.

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 15:42:09 GMT, "Xan" <me@1.com> wrote:

>"Allan Parent" <allanp@nospamforme123.charter.net> wrote in message
>> Pacific fighters will also be a good one from the guys that made IL-2.
>
>Displaced water makes me wet... um, never mind.
>
>// Xan, Ph.D.
>// I worship His Shadow.

Oh...so you like them.

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:39:17 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
wrote:

>"Joe Granto" <Joe.Granto@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>> On 31 Aug 2004 16:14:37 -0700, bdu_majorfreak@hotmail.com (MajorFreak)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I believe it's mainly due to microsoft's continual abandonment or
>> >shoddy support of the sci-fi space sim genre. Major case in point was
>> >Allegiance (dropped, according to most, because it was used as a pilot
>> >project for directX); Other case in point was the Star/Freelancer
>> >stuff (lack of joystick support for the latter).
>>
>> While it might be convenient to blame MS, this is blatantly untrue.
>> Was it Microsoft who made Sierra cancel their Babylon 5 based sim?
>> Was it Microsoft who forced Particle Systems to not make I-War 3?
>> What about a new FreeSpace? A new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game?
>
>As all intelligent objectively minded souls know, the source of all evil in
>the world today is Microsoft.

Is that the Iraq office or the Afghanistan office?

Lemming
--

"Lemming" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:39:17 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"Joe Granto" <Joe.Granto@NoSpam.com> wrote in message

> >> While it might be convenient to blame MS, this is blatantly untrue.
> >> Was it Microsoft who made Sierra cancel their Babylon 5 based sim?
> >> Was it Microsoft who forced Particle Systems to not make I-War 3?
> >> What about a new FreeSpace? A new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game?
> >
> >As all intelligent objectively minded souls know, the source of all evil
in
> >the world today is Microsoft.
>
> Is that the Iraq office or the Afghanistan office?

yes

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"Joe Granto" <Joe.Granto@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> On 31 Aug 2004 16:14:37 -0700, bdu_majorfreak@hotmail.com (MajorFreak)
> wrote:
>
> Watch for posts from Stephen from Particle Systems. I have never seen
> him blame MS for a lack of interest in another I-War game. What he
> HAS mentioned is not enough people buying space-sim games to warrant
> the expense of development of a new space-sim.

That's what it boils down to. Of course it's a self-fulfilling prophecy: "We
can't make space-sims because no-one buys them, but no-one is buying them
because there are no proper space-sims!"

> It is the end-user responsible for a lack of space-sims. People want
> flashy graphics instead over complexity (Freelancer). They want
> online so much they they are willing to give up on having a complex
> single player campaign. Gamers have become to enjoy simpler,
> arcade-style fluff like FPS games, console games, etc.

It's true that the trend is towards games that are simpler and easier to get
into. However, you can still have a complex, involving game that is easy to
get into, but takes time to master. One problem with many space games (the
I-War series included) is that they really require joysticks to play them
properly. Joysticks aren't a standard item that ship's with PCs, so you're
putting off a large section of gamers who don't have a joystick. Mouse
control is the way to go so the game is playable with keyboard and mouse BUT
it should also have the ability for joystick control for us purists.

> I mean, when was the last time a GOOD flight sim came out? I mean
> complex, realistic physics, flight model, etc.? Falcon 4? What about
> a good tank sim? Sub sim? Even mech sims have been dumbed down (in
> this case by Microsoft), and there hasn't been a new mech sim in
> years.

IMHO The last good flight sim was IL2. The last good realistic racing game
was Grand Prix Legends, and look what happened to Papyrus...

> The problem, unfortunately, lies with the public, and their apparent
> lack of interest in such complex games. Not that people would not buy
> them; they would. However, it is more financially feasible for a
> software house to buy the rights to an FPS engine, give it a makeover,
> and release a whopping hit that it is to create their own graphics
> engine, their own physics mode, etc. That is what killed the B5 game,
> btw.

FPS style games are easier to make, and have the luxury of a common and
familiar user interface. Each space game is essentially unique in controls
and HUD, whilst most FPS games use the same conventions of keyboard and
mouse controls and familiar user interfaces.

Best regards,

-- Steve
Stephen Robertson
Senior Designer