PC133 RAM on an Nforce2?

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I'm looking to upgrade my computer 1 component at a time (don't have the $$ for everything at once). Can I use my 384 MB of PC 133 Ram on an Nforce2 motherboard? I know that PC 133 RAM is backwards compatible, but is it forwards compatible (if that's a term, which I seriously doubt)? Thanks to all who respond

<Brendini>

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
PC133 SDRAM and DDR RAM are different types of memory. Also the number of pins on them are different. So your PC133 RAM simply won't fit on an Nforce2 motherboard.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
Hahahhaha crashman, I will give you that, but I don't think it will take too big of an enforcer to pop those babys in there!

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<b>Children's games gone wrong:</b>

<font color=blue>Child: </font color=blue>Square peg... round hole... where's my hammer?

<font color=red>WHAM!</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Child: </font color=blue>See daddy, it <i>does</i> fit.

<font color=green>Father: </font color=green>Good job son. Good job.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
LOL

<b><font color=red>Nothin like a Pentium II furiously churning out a blistering 0.8 FPS on 3D Mark 2001!!!</font color=red></b>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
DDR Ram stands for Double Data Rate SDRAM. It's just SDRAM that is twice as powerful. So what you do is this: take 2 SDRAM sticks, a metal comb and some copper wire. Sodder the 2 sticks together pin by pin, using the copper wire. Then cut the metal comb to the right size, sodder the RAM to the metal comb (a paired pin to each tooth of the comb) and stick it in the DDR RAM slot. Presto! double data rate SDRAM.

Oh, one more thing. DDR transfers data on the upswing and the downswing of each clock cycle, so you will have to sodder the 2 sticks back to back. That way one will work forward and the other one backwards.

And if you actually try this then I have a bridge in Broooklyn that you may be interested in.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
How much do you want for the bridge, and do you take ca$h?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, with the right tools and a bit of skill you <i>might</i> just be able to convert two single-sided 16-bit RDRAM sticks into a 32-bit RDRAM stick with a similar procedure.

The real question is why anyone would bother.

Me personally, I've always wanted to see if you could use the heat spreader connections to mount a thin water block across single-sided memory sticks. Imagine the memory OCing you could get with a setup like that. :) (Of course, you'd also probably want a waterblock mounted on the northbridge and the CPU as well. Heh heh.)

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

brendini

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Well that sounds fun, dangerous, and stupid all in one phrase! I love it! Maybe I'll try it once I get some real DDR ram so that I'm not counting on it to work. (I probably won't though)

<Brendini>