kilo71

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2012
Hello!
I have a Netgear WNDR3400v2 that connects to my cable modem. I then have a wire running to two computers, then a third running to a Linksys WRT54G. The Linksys is just used to split the connection to a gaming PC, Xbox 360, and PS3, its wireless capabilities are disabled. What I would like to know is if it would be better to keep it the way it is, or plug the PC into the cord so that it is connected directly into the Netgear and have the Xbox 360 and PS3 wireless and eliminate the Linksys.

Thanks in advance,
Kilo71

Solution
You always should run wired if its a option. Wireless is a half duplex shared connection. Wired each machine has at least 100m transmit and receive all its own to the switch. Of course it is shared up to the main router but it is point to point so there are no errors and not packet loss unlike wireless.

Pretty much when you plug into the lan ports you made your router into a $20 switch but like a $20 switch it has a full 800m of capacity so all ports can transmit and receive at max rate simultaneously. You used to pay a fortune for non blocking wirespeed switch and now you can't find a device that does not work that way.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
You always should run wired if its a option. Wireless is a half duplex shared connection. Wired each machine has at least 100m transmit and receive all its own to the switch. Of course it is shared up to the main router but it is point to point so there are no errors and not packet loss unlike wireless.

Pretty much when you plug into the lan ports you made your router into a $20 switch but like a $20 switch it has a full 800m of capacity so all ports can transmit and receive at max rate simultaneously. You used to pay a fortune for non blocking wirespeed switch and now you can't find a device that does not work that way.

Solution