Jumpgate - Worth coming back to???

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Ok, back in my old Jumpgate days, I basically left because EP2 was a
giant mess, after the game being delayed for like 9 months now. Plus
the JOSSH website took a dive for like 3 months back in 2003. I
finally came back to see the online numbers are still low because of
it.

I'm still reading the changes for this game:

* The speed for the light fighters and medium fighters now increased.

* A new command to set render distances to see how far you want to see
the roids out there so everything does not have to pop in 10k.

* Missile Jammers and the ability to toggle ECMs might be a big help
for underpowerd ships.

* Missile hardpoint sizes were added to all ships. Splash damage with
mortar guns.. this should be interesting.

* Droptanks, something I have been waiting for in ages, thanks.

* Revamped economy.

* Rebalanced guns and missiles to make them more useful.

* New indicators on the map, yellow means a player has killed another
player HG. Red means 3 more PvP kills or a civ rip. Purple means
sentient conflux.

* PWD100 converted to a ECM.

And soon to come according to the developers: Revamping the Conflux
AI. This should be interesting. I've researched the questions
concerning about updating the graphics to make it look at least
updated, the chances of that going to happen is pretty slim because
right now, because there is no one who is currently working on
Jumpgate is a graphics designer, plus NetDevil does not have enough
cash to hire any employees to take place in that. I recommend that you
don't complain abou the graphics being outdated. In a nutshell, very
poor marketing.

As for the creditcard being required to play the trial, I can't see
why a lot of people would turn back because of it. What they don't
understand is, making the creditcard required would cut down large
number of juvenile players that would come here to cause trouble. In a
nutshell, "No creditcard, no deal.", and no I am not against the
credit card required deal.

And only an intellegent gamer would judge the game by the gameplay and
not the graphics.

The only way to get more people in to this game is by spreading the
word which I did in different types of message boards which is not
working, and making flyers and posting them on college campuses. I
want the playerbase in Jumpgate(US Server) to get back on its legs
again. The european version of Jumpgate has a large enough player
base.

For more information on jumpgate, goto:
http://www.themis-group.com/jg/

In other news, I was going to switch to Vendetta online and quit
Jumpgate for goods until when I beta tested this game, I was not
impressed with the game. Yes its got better graphics than Jumpgate
however, the flight system in this game is not even real where ships
speed was slow plus moving your ship in 6 different directions made it
look like first person shooter in space. The ship stats are way too
simple especially the loadouts. No powergrid, no shield customization,
nor radar customization. Virtually there are no way you can add
fighting tactics in a dogfight since its not even a real space flight
game. You can toggle in two flight models, drifting in space non
existant, ships stopping on a dime is a joke, you can't move your ship
while afterburning, and the mouse controls for the ships are horrible,
since my Logitech wingman 3D got worn out, the game is virtually
unplayable for me.

The people who are interested into simple space shooters, a linux
user, and a macintosh only user will have no problem with this game
because its one of the mmorpgs that can be played on 3 different
platforms. In a nutshell, This game will not blow Jumpgates away but
its nice to have another 'non-point and click' space trading game.

Ok, thats pretty much I have there.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Well I wish the tag system was removed from the game as well..

Anyways, nobody will care about this but, Jumpgate turns 3 years old on sept 22.

p.s. A new patch has arrived as well.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

ok, here are the useless patch notes for this price of junk game:

Variety of minor stuff and bugfixes from the most recent patches.
Everyone has wanted the swarm indicator on the map since Ep2. I'm only
just starting the "conflux changes" - it's too much for one patch.
This was some of the easy or preliminary stuff as I start to research
the relevant code for what I really intend to do.

Here's the details:

v.1.0095 - September 15, 2004
-Fixed problem preventing display of Ore Depot messages involved with
the recent Depot mission feature for haulers.
-Addressed missile code glitch caused by work in patch 1.0093.
-Adjusted conflux targetting algorithm to make the aim of laser weapon
flux less perfect, but still challenging.
-Corrected bug which caused a CTD in the offline sim if the pilot
struck the station.
-Added a GM tool to spawn defense droids as needed for RP events.
-Altered radar display of defense droids from the default yellow to a
new color scheme.
-Fixed old bug that prevented deployment of defense droids when a
pilot entered a station sector where he has an extremely negative PR.
-Adjusted PR award for sector claims downward in preparation for other
changes to the claims system in upcoming patches.
-Addressed an issue that was apparently causing extra delays in the
transfer of information about activating a flashfire to other clients.
-Corrected a problem which would cause a player to receive a temp
bounty if a Drop Tank is used while another player is targetted.
-Temporarily revised spawn-on-jump mechanisms to generate a number of
flux between zero and the former maximum.
-Revised timed spawn mechanisms to prevent a possible condition that
could have allowed a sector to exceed its limit of active flux.
Unknown what bugs could have been caused by this.
-Linked conflux swarm growth and numbers to online player numbers.
Should now see a few more, but smaller, swarms.
-Implemented a simple swarm indicator for the in-game map.
-Altered general text updates about swarms to appear in more limited
circumstances. Rigged a new update for sectors containing subspace
tranceivers.
-Docking rings will now appear in yellow if velocity is too high to
dock. This is meant as a small visual aid to new pilots.
-Implemented a preliminary set of stat changes to conflux. More
complete changes will occur in an upcoming patch.
-Added a constraint to the "/vouch" feature requiring the recipient to
also be docked at a TRI station.
-Addressed another chat system bug that caused some necessary feedback
messages to not appear.

amphlis@graffiti.net (intectermen) wrote in message news:<21fe2005.0409162040.2cd0d03a@posting.google.com>...
> ok, here are the useless patch notes for this price of junk game:
>
> Variety of minor stuff and bugfixes from the most recent patches.
> Everyone has wanted the swarm indicator on the map since Ep2. I'm only
> just starting the "conflux changes" - it's too much for one patch.
> This was some of the easy or preliminary stuff as I start to research
> the relevant code for what I really intend to do.
>
> Here's the details:
>
> v.1.0095 - September 15, 2004
>yadda yadda

no player owned station FACTORIES yet.
How about the promised contraband?
have they shifted conflux spawns outside core sectors? Do jellyfish
still piss off rubbernecking n00bs?

Cargo space: As it stands now, noone really hauls the lowcost items
because when you can afford a tow you can afford to start hauling
hicost items which give more absolute profit -- Besides, the only time
you really have a need to haul lowcost commods is when yer broke.
Which makes absolutely no sense at all, really. (unless yer RPing a
station stocker)...what we need is to involve n00bs in the "Free
Trader" category and stop treating them like schlepers. Boost the ship
cargo capacities, and the storage capacities. The former by scaling
the cargo to approximate the 500 tow limit the closer you get to it in
level & the latter by 10*lvl
tows = 500
trannies = 250
lt miners = 200
fast trannies = 150
large shuttles = 100
shuttles = 50
n00b ships still lack cargo space of any note (we're talking initial
ships and more) compared to other games in the genre.