Your question

SMART Failure on hard disk

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Maxtor
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 27, 2003 8:19:54 AM

I have a Maxtor 5T060H6 Hard disk. Every time it boots up it comes up with the following error:

SMART Failure predicted on primary master: Maxtor 5T060H6.
Warning immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be iminent.

I tried disabling the Smart capability in the bios, but it still comes up. Does anyone know what the problem is? and if so how to fix it?

Thanks.

More about : smart failure hard disk

February 27, 2003 3:13:03 PM

SMART stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis & Reproting Technology. It means that the HD monitors itself for failure or failing parts.
It could be that your drive is going back, use PowerMax from Maxtor's website to scan your drive for mechnical problems.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
February 27, 2003 11:00:46 PM

i REALLY wouldn't ignore such warning messages if i were you! the built in SMART utility is tellign you the the drive might fail at any moment! backup your data NOW.

Also download the manufacturers drive diagnostic software to find out more about the problem.

<i>"Revenues were less than robust"</i> - QWEST
<i>"The company applied its accounting policies incorrectly"</i> - WORLDCOM
<i>"Certian financial adjustments may be required"</i> - AOL+TW.
March 4, 2003 2:46:16 PM

Thanks for the help.
For some reason the problem just stopped. Ran the PowerMax program I got from the maxtor site which said the device was fine. Next time hey....
!