**STOP** Before you get New SprintPCS Service...READ **STO..

Last response: in Network Providers
June 1, 2004 10:30:55 AM

Here is my story to share with anyone wanting to get a SprintPCS
phone. Here are my mistakes so you are aware of these issues and can
ask these questions.

I've been a Happy Nextel customer for over a year, only thing about
Nextel I don't like is the coverage area which is my reason for
getting a 2nd cell phone. After looking through all the coverage maps
for the other cellular companies, I chose Sprint. I am a Limousine
Chauffeur by trade and I travel a lot and I need the expanded coverage
in case I need it.

March 27, 2004

I head to a Nashville, TN Radio Shack to purchase my new Sprint PCS
SCP-5500 phone with the 1100 Minutes Free and Clear America Plan
($65/month). Radio SHack is offering 2 months Free Vision, ReadyLink
and Voice Command. Service is initiated at this time. $380 dollars
is spent including $125 Deposit.

April 1st, 2004

I'm in Branson, MO currently on assignment in my hotel room, 6:30am I
wake up roll over and pick up my phone to call my boss to make sure
everything is cool. My phone has been disconnected due to
non-payment. I call sprint, they say it was their error and they
would prescribe a $50 temporary credit to reactivate my phone. Great,
my phone is active again and I can use it.

April 12th, 2004

My phone was disconnected again, this time, nothing can be done to
reactivate it because I now owe them over $250 and in order for them
to turn the phone back on, i have to catch up to my spending limit.
Whatever. So I have my wife call and she somehow gets it turned back
on. I don't know the details of that conversation but I know my wife
got pretty raw with them. They Offered Free PCS-to-PCS calling for
the life of the account. Cool. I'll stay on with Sprint, that was a
nice offer to keep a customer.

May 2nd, 2004

My phone is disconnected again while I am working... Not good.
Considering putting the phone under the wheel of the car to let the
SprintPCS representative know what it sounds like to be on hold for 30
minutes and for hearing an infuriated customer. Can't get anything
done, Wife calls and straightens it out again.

June 1st, 2004

I've had it, woke up at 6am to find the phone is disconnected again.
Come to find out, Radio Shack never turned on the free 2 Months PCS
vision, readylink and voice command and was being charged for it. I
use the Vision pack a little bit, I don't go over board too much. But
For the way i've been treated, disconnects and having to wait on the
phone to call someone to straighten it out... I am done with
SprintPCS.

All the while my Nextel is working, has been working, and Nextel has
never once cut me off. Nextel provides me service, sends me a bill,
gives me a reasonable amount of time to pay it, DING...next month...
It's the same, time and time again.

Things I have learned through this experience:

1> Don't go to Radio Shack for a Cell Phone, they are only good at one
thing... Finding wires/cables/adaptors/and electronic trinkets for
hobbyists.

2> Get everythign they say in writing

3> Don't got to Radio Shack for a Cell Phone...

Personal Experiences tell me that Radio Shack is not well versed on
Sprint Policy.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 5:12:52 PM

cfaulkner@novel-solutions.net (Chris Faulkner) wrote in message news:<e002c37d.0406010530.5908985e@posting.google.com>...

> 1> Don't go to Radio Shack for a Cell Phone

I would go further and say DO NOT go to any dealer for
cell phone service of any company. When, not if, the phone
company shafts you, you want to avoid the finger pointing
that will invariably come about when a dealer is in the picture.

> 2> Get everythign they say in writing

Waste of time. They will say and do AND write anything to earn
a commission. You're usually dealing with college kids out to
make a quick buck.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 5:46:17 PM

In article <e002c37d.0406010530.5908985e@posting.google.com>,
cfaulkner@novel-solutions.net (Chris Faulkner) wrote:

> 3> Don't got to Radio Shack for a Cell Phone...
>
> Personal Experiences tell me that Radio Shack is not well versed on
> Sprint Policy.

Sounds like you should call up Radio Shack corporate headquarters for
them to give you a FULL REFUND for all their errors and your grief.
June 1, 2004 5:46:18 PM

(Røbert M.) wrote:
> Sounds like you should call up Radio Shack
> corporate headquarters for them to give you a
> FULL REFUND for all their errors and your
> grief.

And all your wife's grief... as it sounds like she did half of the work.
;)

Eric
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 6:01:14 PM

"Chris Faulkner" told a tale of woe.

Chris, it ain't over yet. You are gonna get your credit dinged, get
threatening letters and the hassle will continue. You don't have your money
back yet do you?

Cheer up you could have gone with AT&T! They are even worse!

Good luck!
John
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 6:44:17 PM

"Chris Faulkner" <cfaulkner@novel-solutions.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> use the Vision pack a little bit, I don't go over board too much. But
> For the way i've been treated, disconnects and having to wait on the
> phone to call someone to straighten it out... I am done with
> SprintPCS.
>
> All the while my Nextel is working, has been working, and Nextel has
> never once cut me off. Nextel provides me service, sends me a bill,
> gives me a reasonable amount of time to pay it, DING...next month...
> It's the same, time and time again.
>
> Things I have learned through this experience:
>
> 1> Don't go to Radio Shack for a Cell Phone, they are only good at one
> thing... Finding wires/cables/adaptors/and electronic trinkets for
> hobbyists.
>
> 2> Get everythign they say in writing
>
> 3> Don't got to Radio Shack for a Cell Phone...
>
> Personal Experiences tell me that Radio Shack is not well versed on

Seems like it was Radio Shack who totally screwed the pooch on this one. In
saying that, I'm surprised that you didn't confirm all the details for your
plan, with your first call to SPCS ...

Bob
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 6:44:18 PM

Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Seems like it was Radio Shack who totally screwed the pooch on this one.

Yep, that's what he said too.

June 1, 2004 6:44:18 PM

> Seems like it was Radio Shack who totally screwed the pooch on this one. In
> saying that, I'm surprised that you didn't confirm all the details for your
> plan, with your first call to SPCS ...
>
> Bob

Aye, probably. I'm preparing to take the phone back to Radio Shack.
Demand my money back. Actually, I did confirm everything with SPCS on
my first call. Which leads me to believe that SPCS and Radio Shack
are just passing the blame around so that I can be placed on hold some
more. As soon as the representative calls back, this phone is going
back from whence it came.
June 1, 2004 6:44:19 PM

(Chris Faulkner) wrote:
> Actually, I did confirm everything with SPCS
> on my first call. Which leads me to believe
> that SPCS and Radio Shack are just passing
> the blame around so that I can be placed on
> hold some more. As soon as the
> representative calls back, this phone is going
> back from whence it came.

I was under the impression that Radio Shack actually does all the
activating and plan activations and that when you alk to the Sprint rep,
he/she just goes over the plan you chose... and then it was up to RS to
enter it in correctly. I could be wrong.

Did you already cancel service with Sprint? Don't let them bully you
into an ETF if you have had this much trouble with them and Radio Shack.
RS is overpriced, and their reps generally aren't too intelligent.

I'm glad you have good service with Nextel. Around here, their
walkie-talkie service works fine, but their "cellular" service stinks.

Eric
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 10:47:13 PM

Chris Faulkner wrote:

> Here is my story to share with anyone wanting to get a SprintPCS
> phone. Here are my mistakes so you are aware of these issues and can
> ask these questions.
>
> <snip>

1) Maybe the subject line should've read, "**STOP** Before you get New
SprintPCS Service from Radio Shack," or something similar.

2) It sounds like Sprint did a pretty good job in correcting the problems.

Larry
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 12:44:58 AM

In article <51865b53.0406011212.6b577a3b@posting.google.com>,
carqs123@hotmail.com (Jack SaturnOwner) wrote:

> cfaulkner@novel-solutions.net (Chris Faulkner) wrote in message
>
> > 1> Don't go to Radio Shack for a Cell Phone
>
> I would go further and say DO NOT go to any dealer for
> cell phone service of any company. When, not if, the phone
> company shafts you, you want to avoid the finger pointing
> that will invariably come about when a dealer is in the picture.
>
> > 2> Get everythign they say in writing
>
> Waste of time. They will say and do AND write anything to earn
> a commission. You're usually dealing with college kids out to
> make a quick buck.

True, SprintPCS can come back and say "They weren't authorized to offer
you that".
!