Any new spacesims

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Any new spacesims out or coming out soon? I miss the days i had TONS to
choose from sigh the wing comamnders the xwings now thier is nothing :(

Anthony
18 answers Last reply
More about spacesims
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Anthony" <noneofyour@business.com> wrote in message
    > Any new spacesims out or coming out soon? I miss the days i had TONS to
    > choose from sigh the wing comamnders the xwings now thier is nothing :(

    Out Now:
    --------------------
    Starshatter

    Coming Soon:
    --------------------
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    Parkan II
    Void War
    Ace of Angels (?)

    There are a few others in development that will probably
    see only limited releases in various parts of Europe.

    --milo
    http://www.starshatter.com
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Anthony" <noneofyour@business.com> wrote in message news:<TwD3d.27329$ni.26987@okepread01>...
    > Any new spacesims out or coming out soon? I miss the days i had TONS to
    > choose from sigh the wing comamnders the xwings now thier is nothing :(
    >
    > Anthony

    I think he is talking about looking for new space sims which are
    twitch based only and not the stragety type games that involved
    capital ship battles.

    Anyways, I wish there was more new twitch based space combat games out
    there as well.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Lreguizr" <spamfilter2k@digiverse.net> wrote in message
    > "Anthony" <noneofyour@business.com> wrote in message
    > > Any new spacesims out or coming out soon? I miss the days i had TONS to
    > > choose from sigh the wing comamnders the xwings now thier is nothing :(
    > >
    > > Anthony
    >
    > I think he is talking about looking for new space sims which are
    > twitch based only and not the stragety type games that involved
    > capital ship battles.
    >
    > Anyways, I wish there was more new twitch based space combat games out
    > there as well.

    Actually, fighter combat plays a big role in Starshatter.
    Void war is nothing but twitch combat (although in a
    Newtonian physics model). And I think Star Wolves
    is also primarily a twitch based game, if you can find
    a copy.

    These kinds of games are still getting made, just not
    by the bigger development and publishing houses. The
    market has just gotten too small to support big-budget
    releases like Wing Commander and Freespace.

    --milo
    http://www.starshatter.com
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    A captial ship game would be nice to if I got to control a carrier and
    fighters and troops and other warships to but not battlecruiser 3000 (sorry
    I like gams that WORK)

    Anthony
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "milo" <milo@starshatter.com> wrote in message news:<wQO3d.52314$9Y5.43856@fed1read02>...
    > "Lreguizr" <spamfilter2k@digiverse.net> wrote in message
    > > "Anthony" <noneofyour@business.com> wrote in message
    > > > Any new spacesims out or coming out soon? I miss the days i had TONS to
    > > > choose from sigh the wing comamnders the xwings now thier is nothing :(
    > > >
    > > > Anthony
    > >
    > > I think he is talking about looking for new space sims which are
    > > twitch based only and not the stragety type games that involved
    > > capital ship battles.
    > >
    > > Anyways, I wish there was more new twitch based space combat games out
    > > there as well.
    >
    > Actually, fighter combat plays a big role in Starshatter.
    > Void war is nothing but twitch combat (although in a
    > Newtonian physics model). And I think Star Wolves
    > is also primarily a twitch based game, if you can find
    > a copy.
    >
    > These kinds of games are still getting made, just not
    > by the bigger development and publishing houses. The
    > market has just gotten too small to support big-budget
    > releases like Wing Commander and Freespace.
    >
    > --milo
    > http://www.starshatter.com

    I was interested in viod war.. Unlike, their ship view is in 3rd
    person.

    If this game will feature first person view of these ships, then I
    might be interested. The graphics look a tadbit outdated.

    Star Wolves is focused more on the real time stragety then it is with
    the space flight.

    If there was an mmorpg version of a twitch based space combat game
    using the homeplanet flight engine, I would be there in a heart beat.
    But thats only just a dream..

    I'm still looking fowards to the multiplayer version of vegastrike
    since I am a big fan of player skilled based(As in XvT) space combat
    type game. While playing frontier elite first encounters, my dream
    game was a multiplayer version of this game type where other ships you
    saw in space were real players.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Dnia 2004-09-21 04:33:54, milo napisa³(a):

    > Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    > Parkan II

    Looks GREAT!

    --
    Pozdrowienia/Greetings,
    Poke

    Rowniez zapraszam na moja strone:
    http://www.neostrada-net24.prv.pl/ - poradnik konfiguracji i instalacji
    modemu aDSL dla Net24 i Neostrady
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    > I'm still looking fowards to the multiplayer version of vegastrike
    > since I am a big fan of player skilled based(As in XvT) space combat
    > type game. While playing frontier elite first encounters, my dream
    > game was a multiplayer version of this game type where other ships you
    > saw in space were real players.

    Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Light Speed sounds interesting but I'm not sure
    I want all the other MMPOG baggage.

    http://www.joystiq.com/entry/5856307085230497/

    You may also want to look at what is being done with the Freespace source
    code, it is even more impressive the second time around on modern hardware.
    I hope PvP starts heating up.

    http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/fsscp/index.php
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    I am currently beta testing Starwars JTL and its awsome just having to gind
    to get better ships is annoying. But building your own ship is fun so many
    choices.

    Anthony
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "milo" wrote:

    > Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

    I'm downloading the demo right now. :)

    Tara
    --

    http://users4.ev1.net/~taragem/yager.htm
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Well.. I don't really like spending large amounts of cash to get SWG
    and it's expansion pack. I wish them good luck to them anyways.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) wrote in

    > "milo" wrote:
    >
    >> Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    >
    > I'm downloading the demo right now. :)
    >
    > Tara

    Tara,

    Where is the demo located?

    Thanks,
    Skeksis
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    Skeksis wrote:

    > Where is the demo located?

    3Dgamers

    http://www.3dgamers.com/games/nexus/
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    has anyone take a look at vendetta online?

    http://www.vendetta-online.com

    i believe the open beta signup is availible.
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:17:57 -0700, "milo" <milo@starshatter.com>
    wrote:

    >These kinds of games are still getting made, just not
    >by the bigger development and publishing houses. The
    >market has just gotten too small to support big-budget
    >releases like Wing Commander and Freespace.

    Huh? I'm surprised there's anybody who actually still believes that it
    can be the fault of "the market" when garbage titles fail to sell
    well. How many times have we seen that excuse? And then seen it
    thoroughly trashed when a quality title in the "dead" genre became a
    blockbuster?

    Ridiculous.

    Anyway, I've been a big Wing Commander fan since the first WC came out
    in 1989. The *last* Wing Commander game I enjoyed was Privateer in
    1994. They just lost touch with what it was about their games that
    people enjoyed, and kept cranking out tweaked versions of their old
    games with a halfassed storyline and called it a new game. I stopped
    buying them.

    Do I no longer exist?
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Thrasher" <spectre911@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:17:57 -0700, "milo" <milo@starshatter.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >These kinds of games are still getting made, just not
    > >by the bigger development and publishing houses. The
    > >market has just gotten too small to support big-budget
    > >releases like Wing Commander and Freespace.
    >
    > Huh? I'm surprised there's anybody who actually still believes that it
    > can be the fault of "the market" when garbage titles fail to sell
    > well. How many times have we seen that excuse? And then seen it
    > thoroughly trashed when a quality title in the "dead" genre became a
    > blockbuster?

    Well, you can phrase it however you like. When publishers
    are looking at dropping a couple of million dollars in development
    money, they look at the potential for sales based on market
    trends. The trend for the past seven years has been that each
    new sim has sold worse than the last. Developers have tried
    Wing Commander clones, realistic physics, arcade physics,
    RTS hybrids, MMO hybrids, RPG hybrids, trading games,
    military games, you name it. If it didn't have "Star Wars" in
    the title, it didn't sell.

    You claim that all dozen of these games were "garbage", but
    some of them were very well made, high-quality games. Free-
    space 2 and the I-War games in particular stand out as being
    very high quality. EVE is also a very well made game, although
    I'm sure it doesn't appeal to many people who grew up on Wing
    Commander and X-Wing.

    > Anyway, I've been a big Wing Commander fan since the first WC came out
    > in 1989. The *last* Wing Commander game I enjoyed was Privateer in
    > 1994. They just lost touch with what it was about their games that
    > people enjoyed, and kept cranking out tweaked versions of their old
    > games with a halfassed storyline and called it a new game. I stopped
    > buying them.

    And what quality was it that you think people enjoyed about
    these games that the developers have "lost touch with"?
    What did you enjoy about them, and why did you stop
    enjoying them?

    > Do I no longer exist?

    That's right: you no longer exist. You stopped buying space
    sims, even the ones in your own favorite franchise, so you don't
    count anymore. :-P

    --milo
    http://www.starshatter.com
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    If I was to make a wing-commander flight sim type game, I would
    probably make it as a freeware because almost all of the time, I do
    the 3d modeling(ships. buildings, etc) as a hobbiest.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 07:49:34 -0700, milo <milo@starshatter.com> wrote:

    > You claim that all dozen of these games were "garbage", but
    > some of them were very well made, high-quality games. Free-
    > space 2 and the I-War games in particular stand out as being
    > very high quality. EVE is also a very well made game, although
    > I'm sure it doesn't appeal to many people who grew up on Wing
    > Commander and X-Wing.

    Indeed, but EVE has not failed. Over 50k subscribers and rising is very
    well for a space-sim type of game from an independant software company
    with no big publishing name backing them.

  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

    "Petter Nilsen" <pettern@thule.no> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 07:49:34 -0700, milo <milo@starshatter.com> wrote:
    >
    > > You claim that all dozen of these games were "garbage", but
    > > some of them were very well made, high-quality games. Free-
    > > space 2 and the I-War games in particular stand out as being
    > > very high quality. EVE is also a very well made game, although
    > > I'm sure it doesn't appeal to many people who grew up on Wing
    > > Commander and X-Wing.
    >
    > Indeed, but EVE has not failed. Over 50k subscribers and rising is very
    > well for a space-sim type of game from an independant software company
    > with no big publishing name backing them.

    No disrepect to EVE intended, but it's all relative. The early
    Wing Commander games sold around a million copies each.
    Even the later editions of the Wing Commander and X-Wing
    series sold several hundred thousand copies. 50K subscribers
    is indeed excellent in today's market, and I'm sure that the
    team at CCP is very happy. But it still isn't really enough
    volume to convince a big publisher that funding a AAA space-
    sim title would be a good risk.

    --milo
    http://www.starshatter.com

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games