Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Any new spacesims out or coming out soon? I miss the days i had TONS to
choose from sigh the wing comamnders the xwings now thier is nothing :(

Anthony

Milo

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003

"Anthony" <noneofyour@business.com> wrote in message
> Any new spacesims out or coming out soon? I miss the days i had TONS to
> choose from sigh the wing comamnders the xwings now thier is nothing :(

Out Now:
--------------------
Starshatter

Coming Soon:
--------------------
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Parkan II
Void War
Ace of Angels (?)

There are a few others in development that will probably
see only limited releases in various parts of Europe.

--milo
http://www.starshatter.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

"Anthony" <noneofyour@business.com> wrote in message news:<TwD3d.27329$ni.26987@okepread01>...
> Any new spacesims out or coming out soon? I miss the days i had TONS to
> choose from sigh the wing comamnders the xwings now thier is nothing :(
>
> Anthony

I think he is talking about looking for new space sims which are
twitch based only and not the stragety type games that involved
capital ship battles.

Anyways, I wish there was more new twitch based space combat games out
there as well.

Milo

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003

"Lreguizr" <spamfilter2k@digiverse.net> wrote in message
> "Anthony" <noneofyour@business.com> wrote in message
> > Any new spacesims out or coming out soon? I miss the days i had TONS to
> > choose from sigh the wing comamnders the xwings now thier is nothing :(
> >
> > Anthony
>
> I think he is talking about looking for new space sims which are
> twitch based only and not the stragety type games that involved
> capital ship battles.
>
> Anyways, I wish there was more new twitch based space combat games out
> there as well.

Actually, fighter combat plays a big role in Starshatter.
Void war is nothing but twitch combat (although in a
Newtonian physics model). And I think Star Wolves
is also primarily a twitch based game, if you can find
a copy.

These kinds of games are still getting made, just not
by the bigger development and publishing houses. The
market has just gotten too small to support big-budget
releases like Wing Commander and Freespace.

--milo
http://www.starshatter.com

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

A captial ship game would be nice to if I got to control a carrier and
fighters and troops and other warships to but not battlecruiser 3000 (sorry
I like gams that WORK)

Anthony

"milo" <milo@starshatter.com> wrote in message news:<wQO3d.52314$9Y5.43856@fed1read02>...
> "Lreguizr" <spamfilter2k@digiverse.net> wrote in message
> > "Anthony" <noneofyour@business.com> wrote in message
> > > Any new spacesims out or coming out soon? I miss the days i had TONS to
> > > choose from sigh the wing comamnders the xwings now thier is nothing :(
> > >
> > > Anthony
> >
> > I think he is talking about looking for new space sims which are
> > twitch based only and not the stragety type games that involved
> > capital ship battles.
> >
> > Anyways, I wish there was more new twitch based space combat games out
> > there as well.
>
> Actually, fighter combat plays a big role in Starshatter.
> Void war is nothing but twitch combat (although in a
> Newtonian physics model). And I think Star Wolves
> is also primarily a twitch based game, if you can find
> a copy.
>
> These kinds of games are still getting made, just not
> by the bigger development and publishing houses. The
> market has just gotten too small to support big-budget
> releases like Wing Commander and Freespace.
>
> --milo
> http://www.starshatter.com

I was interested in viod war.. Unlike, their ship view is in 3rd
person.

If this game will feature first person view of these ships, then I
might be interested. The graphics look a tadbit outdated.

Star Wolves is focused more on the real time stragety then it is with
the space flight.

If there was an mmorpg version of a twitch based space combat game
using the homeplanet flight engine, I would be there in a heart beat.
But thats only just a dream..

I'm still looking fowards to the multiplayer version of vegastrike
since I am a big fan of player skilled based(As in XvT) space combat
type game. While playing frontier elite first encounters, my dream
game was a multiplayer version of this game type where other ships you
saw in space were real players.

Poke

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Dnia 2004-09-21 04:33:54, milo napisa³(a):

> Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
> Parkan II

Looks GREAT!

--
Pozdrowienia/Greetings,
Poke

Rowniez zapraszam na moja strone:
http://www.neostrada-net24.prv.pl/ - poradnik konfiguracji i instalacji
modemu aDSL dla Net24 i Neostrady

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

> I'm still looking fowards to the multiplayer version of vegastrike
> since I am a big fan of player skilled based(As in XvT) space combat
> type game. While playing frontier elite first encounters, my dream
> game was a multiplayer version of this game type where other ships you
> saw in space were real players.

Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Light Speed sounds interesting but I'm not sure
I want all the other MMPOG baggage.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/5856307085230497/

You may also want to look at what is being done with the Freespace source
code, it is even more impressive the second time around on modern hardware.
I hope PvP starts heating up.

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/fsscp/index.php

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

I am currently beta testing Starwars JTL and its awsome just having to gind
to get better ships is annoying. But building your own ship is fun so many
choices.

Anthony

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Well.. I don't really like spending large amounts of cash to get SWG
and it's expansion pack. I wish them good luck to them anyways.

skeksis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

taragem72@yahoo.com (Tara) wrote in

> "milo" wrote:
>
>> Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
>
> I'm downloading the demo right now. :)
>
> Tara

Tara,

Where is the demo located?

Thanks,
Skeksis

thrasher

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:17:57 -0700, "milo" <milo@starshatter.com>
wrote:

>These kinds of games are still getting made, just not
>by the bigger development and publishing houses. The
>market has just gotten too small to support big-budget
>releases like Wing Commander and Freespace.

Huh? I'm surprised there's anybody who actually still believes that it
can be the fault of "the market" when garbage titles fail to sell
well. How many times have we seen that excuse? And then seen it
thoroughly trashed when a quality title in the "dead" genre became a
blockbuster?

Ridiculous.

Anyway, I've been a big Wing Commander fan since the first WC came out
in 1989. The *last* Wing Commander game I enjoyed was Privateer in
1994. They just lost touch with what it was about their games that
people enjoyed, and kept cranking out tweaked versions of their old
games with a halfassed storyline and called it a new game. I stopped
buying them.

Do I no longer exist?

Milo

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003

"Thrasher" <spectre911@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:17:57 -0700, "milo" <milo@starshatter.com>
> wrote:
>
> >These kinds of games are still getting made, just not
> >by the bigger development and publishing houses. The
> >market has just gotten too small to support big-budget
> >releases like Wing Commander and Freespace.
>
> Huh? I'm surprised there's anybody who actually still believes that it
> can be the fault of "the market" when garbage titles fail to sell
> well. How many times have we seen that excuse? And then seen it
> thoroughly trashed when a quality title in the "dead" genre became a
> blockbuster?

Well, you can phrase it however you like. When publishers
are looking at dropping a couple of million dollars in development
money, they look at the potential for sales based on market
trends. The trend for the past seven years has been that each
new sim has sold worse than the last. Developers have tried
Wing Commander clones, realistic physics, arcade physics,
RTS hybrids, MMO hybrids, RPG hybrids, trading games,
military games, you name it. If it didn't have "Star Wars" in
the title, it didn't sell.

You claim that all dozen of these games were "garbage", but
some of them were very well made, high-quality games. Free-
space 2 and the I-War games in particular stand out as being
very high quality. EVE is also a very well made game, although
I'm sure it doesn't appeal to many people who grew up on Wing
Commander and X-Wing.

> Anyway, I've been a big Wing Commander fan since the first WC came out
> in 1989. The *last* Wing Commander game I enjoyed was Privateer in
> 1994. They just lost touch with what it was about their games that
> people enjoyed, and kept cranking out tweaked versions of their old
> games with a halfassed storyline and called it a new game. I stopped
> buying them.

And what quality was it that you think people enjoyed about
these games that the developers have "lost touch with"?
What did you enjoy about them, and why did you stop
enjoying them?

> Do I no longer exist?

That's right: you no longer exist. You stopped buying space
sims, even the ones in your own favorite franchise, so you don't
count anymore. :p

--milo
http://www.starshatter.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

If I was to make a wing-commander flight sim type game, I would
probably make it as a freeware because almost all of the time, I do
the 3d modeling(ships. buildings, etc) as a hobbiest.

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 07:49:34 -0700, milo <milo@starshatter.com> wrote:

> You claim that all dozen of these games were "garbage", but
> some of them were very well made, high-quality games. Free-
> space 2 and the I-War games in particular stand out as being
> very high quality. EVE is also a very well made game, although
> I'm sure it doesn't appeal to many people who grew up on Wing
> Commander and X-Wing.

Indeed, but EVE has not failed. Over 50k subscribers and rising is very
well for a space-sim type of game from an independant software company
with no big publishing name backing them.

Milo

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003

"Petter Nilsen" <pettern@thule.no> wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 07:49:34 -0700, milo <milo@starshatter.com> wrote:
>
> > You claim that all dozen of these games were "garbage", but
> > some of them were very well made, high-quality games. Free-
> > space 2 and the I-War games in particular stand out as being
> > very high quality. EVE is also a very well made game, although
> > I'm sure it doesn't appeal to many people who grew up on Wing
> > Commander and X-Wing.
>
> Indeed, but EVE has not failed. Over 50k subscribers and rising is very
> well for a space-sim type of game from an independant software company
> with no big publishing name backing them.

No disrepect to EVE intended, but it's all relative. The early
Wing Commander games sold around a million copies each.
Even the later editions of the Wing Commander and X-Wing
series sold several hundred thousand copies. 50K subscribers
is indeed excellent in today's market, and I'm sure that the
team at CCP is very happy. But it still isn't really enough
volume to convince a big publisher that funding a AAA space-
sim title would be a good risk.

--milo
http://www.starshatter.com