Problem powering on the computer.

ranrnic

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
Sorry if this question is in the wrong place. I recently put together a computer but I am having problems turning it on. The "power" button on the front will not work right away. I have to turn off the power supply switch for about a minute and then turn it back on, then the power button on front of the case will turn on the system. I called the place where I got the motherboard and they told me it could be the power supply. I just wanted to get some opinions before I have to spend money on a new power supply and finding out it is something else like the motherboard.

Here is my computer's setup. I have a 400 watt power supply (I forgot the brand but something like EnerSomething), Asus A7N8X motherboard with an AMD 2100+ processor, Asus 8x GeForce Ti 4200 video card, Pioneer Dvd drive, Pioneer DVD-RW drive, Sony CD-RW, floppy drive, 2 512meg sticks of PC2700 memory, Western Digital 100gig HD, Coolermaster HD bay cooler, Vantec CPU fan, 2 case fans plugged into the motherboard, 2 lighted fans plugged directly to the power supply.

Hope that information helps. If this is a real stupid question, I'm sorry, I guess I'm just a real stupid person. I appreciate any and all feedback that you have to offer. Thanks.

Double check the connectors for your power switch etc. May be a faulty wire.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">Nice sig 81.</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
so will the computer boot to the bios screen or not booting at all (just turning on)?....any beep codes etc...be specific (what can you do?)....if it boots then you will know it isnt the board(most boards that dont work are doa)...and you know it isnt the memory (most memory problems will give you either a beep code or the system will not post at all)

<A HREF="http://dnadesignz.kicks-ass.net" target="_new"><b><font color=green>MY SYSTEM</b></font color=green></A>

Auburn9698

Champion
First of all, don't be so hard on yourself. Nobody knows the answer to every question. That's what forums are for. Next, do what camieabz says. Are all your connections good? Do you have a buddy you can borrow another PS from? If so, bringing a 6-pack over for the favor might help. Better than buying a new PS just to try it, anyway.

svol

Champion
And if everything seems to be connected fine then check if your hardware settings are correct in the BIOS or reset the BIOS.
When you accidently OC a PC too high you can get similair problems.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: