Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Boot to desktop w/o login screen?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 15, 2009 12:52:50 AM

Hi all - I just was wondering if there is a way to boot directly to the desktop in Windows 7 without clicking on my username on the login screen. I only have one user account and it's not password protected. The first 10 or so times I booted Windows it went directly to the desktop, but all of a sudden it started booting to the login screen and I can't find the settings to make it stop.

Any suggestions?

Best solution

June 15, 2009 7:16:30 AM

Hi S

There are a few ways to fix this but I do this: Go into the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management. Expand "Local Users and Groups", highlight "Users" and you should see your account in the right pane. Right click on your account and set a password.

Follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, and type "control userpasswords2" without quotes.

2. Highlight your account and uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

3. Click Apply.

4. Enter the password, then click OK.

5. Click OK again and you're all done.
August 1, 2011 6:42:24 PM

but won't this just sets you a password?
i have the same problem as well.

i had a password before and now i removed it since I didn't need it any more and now when i load my computer it doesn't go directly to desktop

what i mean is why did you tell him to make another password????
m
l
Related resources
August 1, 2011 10:20:24 PM

I sure he was clever enough to move on to the next step if a password was already set.... If you had a password set, or have a password set, just follow the steps, and you can set it up how ever you like.
m
l
August 16, 2011 4:25:46 AM

starams5 said:
Hi S

There are a few ways to fix this but I do this: Go into the Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management. Expand "Local Users and Groups", highlight "Users" and you should see your account in the right pane. Right click on your account and set a password.

Follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, and type "control userpasswords2" without quotes.

2. Highlight your account and uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

3. Click Apply.

4. Enter the password, then click OK.

5. Click OK again and you're all done.

Well, you're absolutely right....but you can skip the first part..... you do NOT need to set a password... so basically just follow steps 1 to 5 and just leave your password blank if you don't use one
m
l
1 minute ago

@sacchi1412
I think you need to remove Windows 7 password, you can use all-in-one program Windows Password Recovery Tool, and then you can do as @starams5 says

m
l
!