Are USB wireless adapters supposed to be unstable?

SteveSmith1980

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Here is the thing. A few days ago, I bought a Netgear N600 wireless adapter (WNDA3100). I used wired before mostly without problems but was annoyed by the cables. My router is a Netgear WNDR3300 and I never had problems with it.

The problem is that sometimes my wireless adapter just stops working and drops the connection. I use it since a few days, and it already happened several times. It happened especially when I was streaming videos to my PS3 (my PS3 is also wireless). It also happened while I was watching Youtube videos. When this happens, I need to unplug the adapter and plug it again. Sometimes, I need to restart the whole computer for my adapter to work again.

I am very disappointed. Is this normal with USB wireless adapters? This is unacceptable to me. I want a stable connection.

SteveSmith1980

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I am gonna return this thing asap. I will try to have it exchanged for another wireless adapter if possible. Tonight I think it disconnected 12 times! It seems to happen more when there is heavy traffic.