Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Umm, been a long time.

Is the flame war with Dr Smart now officially dead?

"Grand Poobah" <grandpoobahNOSPAM@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> Umm, been a long time.
>
> Is the flame war with Dr Smart now officially dead?

He only posts on Usenet under aliases now and only very infrequently.
However, when posting on web forums he gets into ego problems every now or
then but if the moderator doesn't ban the other person then Derek refuses to
post on that forum any longer.

On the other hand, he still claims his totally bogus PhD.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

Sod off prats, we dont want this kind of discussion on this newsgroup.

--
Regards
Nats

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it."

"Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Grand Poobah" <grandpoobahNOSPAM@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
>> Umm, been a long time.
>>
>> Is the flame war with Dr Smart now officially dead?
>
> He only posts on Usenet under aliases now and only very infrequently.
> However, when posting on web forums he gets into ego problems every now or
> then but if the moderator doesn't ban the other person then Derek refuses
> post on that forum any longer.
>
> On the other hand, he still claims his totally bogus PhD.

---

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On or about 10/14/2004 4:03:42 AM, Nats <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> was
rude enough to top-post the following gem:

> Sod off prats, we dont want this kind of discussion on this newsgroup.

Heh. Like it or not, space-sim was formed for this very purpose, Stan.
I'm sorry it's not your cup of tea, but there it is old bean.

Now, please stop top-posting or Daniel Blakemore will be forced to run you
off Usenet.

As you were.

Bret

"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Sod off prats, we dont want this kind of discussion on this newsgroup.

Lemming, Br d, and other UK members, Nats is a completely out of control top
poster. If you guys don't get him in line then I may be forced to assign
Daniel Blakemore to the case.

XaN

"Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
> Heh. Like it or not, space-sim was formed for this very purpose, Stan.
> I'm sorry it's not your cup of tea, but there it is old bean.
>
> Now, please stop top-posting or Daniel Blakemore will be forced to run you
> off Usenet.
>
> As you were.

You're just appealing to my sense of irony, right? =)

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.

On or about 10/14/2004 2:49:16 PM, Xan <me@1.com> said:
> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
>> Heh. Like it or not, space-sim was formed for this very purpose, Stan.
>> I'm sorry it's not your cup of tea, but there it is old bean.
>>
>> Now, please stop top-posting or Daniel Blakemore will be forced to run you
>> off Usenet.
>>
>> As you were.
>
> You're just appealing to my sense of irony, right? =)

ah heck: I was too obvious, right?

Bret

XaN

> ah heck: I was too obvious, right?

Yeah. No complaints here. =)

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:12:17 GMT, "Bill Huffman" <bhuffma1@san.rr.com>
wrote:

>"Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Sod off prats, we dont want this kind of discussion on this newsgroup.
>
>Lemming, Br d, and other UK members, Nats is a completely out of control top
>poster. If you guys don't get him in line then I may be forced to assign
>Daniel Blakemore to the case.

Poor old Stan, he just doesn't get it does he?

I've not posted this link yet this year[1] so here it is, especially
for you, Stan:

http://members.ams.chello.nl/jvane/welcome.htm

[1] Or have I? Can you check for me Zan?

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

XaN

"Mel" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I've not posted this link yet this year[1] so here it is, especially
> for you, Stan:
>
> http://members.ams.chello.nl/jvane/welcome.htm
>
> [1] Or have I? Can you check for me Zan?

Goober shows no references to this link in all of recorded CSIPGS history.

>_

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

As if Im going to follow any link that you prats suggest! Its a shame that
the state of space sims these days is such a void that the only dedicated
newsgoup is covered in abusive posts about nothing in particular. Think its
about time I unsubscribed to this newsgroup as well - god my interesting
newsgroup list is getting shorter every day.

--

"Xan" <me@1.com> wrote in message news:y4Ebd.272$gf3.110@trndny08...
> "Mel" <thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I've not posted this link yet this year[1] so here it is, especially
>> for you, Stan:
>>
>> http://members.ams.chello.nl/jvane/welcome.htm
>>
>> [1] Or have I? Can you check for me Zan?
>
> Goober shows no references to this link in all of recorded CSIPGS history.
>
>>_
>
> // Xan, Ph.D.
> // I worship His Shadow.

---

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:26:57 +0100, "Nats"
<nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>As if Im going to follow any link that you prats suggest! Its a shame that
>the state of space sims these days is such a void that the only dedicated
>newsgoup is covered in abusive posts about nothing in particular. Think its
>about time I unsubscribed to this newsgroup as well - god my interesting
>newsgroup list is getting shorter every day.

Its ironic. That is the advice that would have been given to you on
the linked page.

--
Crayfish

On or about 10/15/2004 3:46:28 AM, Crayfish <cray@supanet.com> said:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:26:57 +0100, "Nats"
> <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>As if Im going to follow any link that you prats suggest! Its a shame that
>>the state of space sims these days is such a void that the only dedicated
>>newsgoup is covered in abusive posts about nothing in particular. Think its
>>about time I unsubscribed to this newsgroup as well - god my interesting
>>newsgroup list is getting shorter every day.
>
> Its ironic. That is the advice that would have been given to you on
> the linked page.

Delightful, innit?

Still, Stan serves a useful function here on csipgs-s. Admittedly, it
doesn't spring readily to mind but I'm sure it's covered in the FAQ.

Bret

XaN

> As if Im going to follow any link that you prats suggest! Its a shame that the
> state of space sims these days is such a void that the only dedicated newsgoup
> is covered in abusive posts about nothing in particular. Think its about time
> I unsubscribed to this newsgroup as well - god my interesting newsgroup list
> is getting shorter every day.

I don't think thy ego will let you.

// Xan, Ph.D.
// As you command, Divine Shadow.

On or about 10/15/2004 8:53:00 AM, Xan <me@1.com> said:
> "Nats" <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> As if Im going to follow any link that you prats suggest! Its a shame that the
>> state of space sims these days is such a void that the only dedicated newsgoup
>> is covered in abusive posts about nothing in particular. Think its about time
>> I unsubscribed to this newsgroup as well - god my interesting newsgroup list
>> is getting shorter every day.
>
> I don't think thy ego will let you.

"I don't think thine ego will let thee."

[This has been a compl--awwww, you know the drill]

Bret

XaN

> "I don't think thine ego will let thee."
>
> [This has been a compl--awwww, you know the drill]

....And an incorrect one at that. =P

// Xan, Ph.D.
// I worship His Shadow.

On or about 10/15/2004 9:41:05 AM, Xan <me@1.com> said:
> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
>> "I don't think thine ego will let thee."
>>
>> [This has been a compl--awwww, you know the drill]
>
> ...And an incorrect one at that. =P

And just what language do you think you're using?

The usage of the "-n" ("thine") form of the possessive pronoun is proper
when preceding a vowel (as in "ego") through Middle English. The "-n"
forms of these pronouns fell into disuse in Early Modern English, but at no
time would "thy ego" have been considered proper.

"Thy ego" is a modern, shallow attempt at archaizing (and/or aggrandizing)
"your ego".

Also, "thee" is to be preferred to "you" in this instance. "You" is proper
when addressing someone of higher social station, or when expressing
respect. "Thee" is proper when addressing someone of equal or lower social
station.

Please make the appropriate adjustments to your programming and call me in
the morning.

Bret
(I just made most of that up -- please only pay attention to the bits that
are not pure waffle. Thank you.)

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:26:57 +0100, "Nats"
<nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>As if Im going to follow any link that you prats suggest! Its a shame that
>the state of space sims these days is such a void that the only dedicated
>newsgoup is covered in abusive posts about nothing in particular. Think its
>about time I unsubscribed to this newsgroup as well - god my interesting
>newsgroup list is getting shorter every day.

Well, I think you should at least consid- ... hang on, I'll be right
back; something's clanging furiously in the room where I keep my Irony
Detector.

Lemming
--

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:41:05 GMT, "Xan" <me@1.com> wrote:

>"Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
>> "I don't think thine ego will let thee."
>>
>> [This has been a compl--awwww, you know the drill]
>
>...And an incorrect one at that. =P

Has Bret killphiled me again? I can't see his posts.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:26:57 +0100, "Nats"
<nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>As if Im going to follow any link that you prats suggest!

Come on Stan, you could at least try to join in. And you never know,
you might actually learn something. Here, another educational link
you might consider ignoring, free of charge of course:

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/dysfunction.html

>Its a shame that
>the state of space sims these days is such a void that the only dedicated
>newsgoup is covered in abusive posts about nothing in particular.

When will you get it through your thick skull that despite its name,
this froup has never been about Space Sim Games. It was created as a
froup where people could join in the BC3K flamewar without disrupting
more peaceful froups (namely csipg.flight-sim and csipg.strategy,
IIRC). You really should pay more attention to the froup's zeitgeist
before you pitch in with two left feet hurling abuse at innocent
people like Bill.

I suspect you are one of those people who thinks alt.fan.elite is
about the Braben series of games. It's not; it's for fans of the
Elite modelling agency.

>Think its
>about time I unsubscribed to this newsgroup as well - god my interesting
>newsgroup list is getting shorter every day.

Please don't leave, Stan; I for one will miss you terribly. you might
try to do something about your urge to top-post though. I know you
are using Outbreak Express instead of a proper newsreader, but you CAN
discipline yourself to post properly, if you really try.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:57:47 +0100, Lemming
<thiswillbounce@bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:41:05 GMT, "Xan" <me@1.com> wrote:
>
>>"Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
>>> "I don't think thine ego will let thee."
>>>
>>> [This has been a compl--awwww, you know the drill]
>>
>>...And an incorrect one at that. =P
>
>Has Bret killphiled me again? I can't see his posts.

Damn, I can't see my OWN posts either. well, apart from this one.
Maybe I killphiltered myself. Or ... maybe Stan has revoked my usenet
privileges.

Lemming
--

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:53:00 GMT, "Xan" <me@1.com> wrote:

>I don't think thy ego will let you.

Who the hell is Thy Ego, and why won't he let me?

Lemming
--

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:26:25 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
wrote:

>On or about 10/15/2004 3:46:28 AM, Crayfish <cray@supanet.com> said:
>> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:26:57 +0100, "Nats"
>> <nstutt@nstutt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>>As if Im going to follow any link that you prats suggest! Its a shame that
>>>the state of space sims these days is such a void that the only dedicated
>>>newsgoup is covered in abusive posts about nothing in particular. Think its
>>>about time I unsubscribed to this newsgroup as well - god my interesting
>>>newsgroup list is getting shorter every day.
>>
>> Its ironic. That is the advice that would have been given to you on
>> the linked page.
>
>Delightful, innit?
>
>Still, Stan serves a useful function here on csipgs-s. Admittedly, it
>doesn't spring readily to mind but I'm sure it's covered in the FAQ.

It is, it first appeared in tha FAQ in version 01.09.02.02, on page
223, question 4097:

Question 4,097:
What purpose does Stan (AKA Stan) serve on csipgs-s? He just
seems like a useless waste of skin. A bit of a tosser really, who
doesn't listen and won't be told. It seems like he's only posts his
inane whinings because he likes people taking the piss out of him.
And the regulars always take the piss out of him every time he shows
up.

A. Why ask if you already know the answer?

Lemming
--

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:01:01 +0100, Lemming wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:26:25 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On or about 10/15/2004 3:46:28 AM, Crayfish <cray@supanet.com> said:
>>>
>>> Its ironic. That is the advice that would have been given to you on
>>> the linked page.
>>
>>Delightful, innit?
>>
>>Still, Stan serves a useful function here on csipgs-s. Admittedly, it
>>doesn't spring readily to mind but I'm sure it's covered in the FAQ.
>
> It is, it first appeared in tha FAQ in version 01.09.02.02, on page
> 223, question 4097:
>
> Question 4,097:
> What purpose does Stan (AKA Stan) serve on csipgs-s? He just
> seems like a useless waste of skin. A bit of a tosser really, who
> doesn't listen and won't be told. It seems like he's only posts his
> inane whinings because he likes people taking the piss out of him.
> And the regulars always take the piss out of him every time he shows
> up.
>
> A. Why ask if you already know the answer?

Shouldn't there be something in there about Stan being Northeast England's
premiere "Web ArkyTekt" (tm, patents pretending)?

http://www.nstutt.freeserve.co.uk/

If you're still bored, Lemming, his website would benefit from a good
healthy grammar flame. Also, according to the 2nd paragraph he intends to
meet "WW3 guidlines", which I find mildly disturbing.

Bret

lemming

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2001
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim (More info?)

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:06:40 -0700, Bret Ripley <ripley@olywa.net>
wrote:

>On or about 10/15/2004 9:41:05 AM, Xan <me@1.com> said:
>> "Bret Ripley" <ripley@olywa.net> wrote in message
>>> "I don't think thine ego will let thee."
>>>
>>> [This has been a compl--awwww, you know the drill]
>>
>> ...And an incorrect one at that. =P
>
>Naq whfg jung ynathntr qb lbh guvax lbh'er hfvat?
>
>Gur hfntr bs gur "-a" ("guvar") sbez bs gur cbffrffvir cebabha vf cebcre
>jura cerprqvat n ibjry (nf va "rtb") guebhtu Zvqqyr Ratyvfu. Gur "-a"
>sbezf bs gurfr cebabhaf sryy vagb qvfhfr va Rneyl Zbqrea Ratyvfu, ohg ng ab
>gvzr jbhyq "gul rtb" unir orra pbafvqrerq cebcre.
>
>"Gul rtb" vf n zbqrea, funyybj nggrzcg ng nepunvmvat (naq/be nttenaqvmvat)
>"lbhe rtb".
>
>Nyfb, "gurr" vf gb or cersreerq gb "lbh" va guvf vafgnapr. "Lbh" vf cebcre
>jura nqqerffvat fbzrbar bs uvture fbpvny fgngvba, be jura rkcerffvat
>erfcrpg. "Gurr" vf cebcre jura nqqerffvat fbzrbar bs rdhny be ybjre fbpvny
>fgngvba.
>
>Cyrnfr znxr gur nccebcevngr nqwhfgzragf gb lbhe cebtenzzvat naq pnyy zr va
>gur zbeavat.
>
>Oerg
>(V whfg znqr zbfg bs gung hc -- cyrnfr bayl cnl nggragvba gb gur ovgf gung
>ner abg pure waffle. Gunax lbh.)

To make things easier for Stan (and his ilk) I rot13'ed the waffle,
and left the non-waffle in plain.

Lemming
--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.